Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,213 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

7 Facts About The North - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46855 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
some-girl:

I'm not unaware of what some sources say. With the advent of the internet, many couch researchers now have a voice.
A fourteen year old married to an 18yr old is fair enough.
One married to a much older man is disgusting regardless of culture.
Just as wife and/or husband sharing are just plain nasty.

Cultures/customs change with times and these practises that are nasty to you were not nasty to those who lived in the olden days.
There was little emphasis on love and romance in marriages back then, marriage was mostly for procreation so there was no qualms when a 90yr old married a 12yr old as long as they could bear children.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Vicotex(m): 10:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
i doubt that number .7
i doubt that number .7
i doubt that number .7
Re: 7 Facts About The North by mazaje(m): 12:55pm On Feb 09, 2013
Mavrick2012: (1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

(4) The sultan of sokoto is the only traditional leader that occupy's the highest number of offices in Nigeria:head of sokoto state traditional council,head of northern traditional council,chairman of the traditional council of Nigeria,head of Nigeria's muslim umma(congregation) and co-chairman of Nigeria's interfaith council.He also functions in various offices common with Nigerian traditional and religious leaders.

(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

(7) Boko haram was founded and being run by Kanuris (not Hausa/Fulanis)

Some of your facts are wrong. . Taraba state does NOT have 73 different tribes, same with Bauchi, it does NOT have up to 60, Bauchi has less than 15. . .The state with the highest number of tribes in the north is Plateau state and the number is about 60. . .

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 09, 2013
Nigerians and their sanctimonious stupidity and myopia - what's barbaric with the TIV ruler sharing his wife if that's their tradition Are there not swingers out there in the western world who give their wives and girlfriends to all and sundry for sex And people in open-relationships all over the world

The same pseudo-modernist clowns slagging the TIV culture are also the fools who think phaggots should be allowed to practice phaggotry - talk about freaking hypocrites!! If that's how they get down in TIV-land - let them be for crying out loud!!!

Topic:

Interesting and educative info. about the North - I don't know why, but Northerners are the coolest people in Nigeria IMO... Big ups to the North!!

5 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by logica(m): 1:01pm On Feb 09, 2013
some-girl:

^^off point.
How old do you KNOW Mary was by the way?

Wife (and husband) sharing is simply disgusting.
It may appear that this same disgusting culture was practiced in the Middle-East.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
@No 5

What if the visitor gets the wife pregnant?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by seunfly: 1:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
I doubt that taraba, adamawa and bauchi figure, if @ all it is true majority of those people don't know cos they have all been hausanised.
@ tiv culture, wooow!!! They are so kind, inocent and hospitable to the extent that they give their wife to the visitor. I wonder how he will cope with bastard and his wife attraction to the visitor after he has given it to her better than the landlord.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by honeric01(m): 1:03pm On Feb 09, 2013
Mavrick2012:

(7) Boko haram was founded and being run by Kanuris (not Hausa/Fulanis)

How did you come up with this? do you know the sponsors? if yes, why are you not helping the govt with this information?

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by princemaicheal: 1:05pm On Feb 09, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Still can't believe this TIV's crazy culture.
Why not pay a friend there(Tiv) a visit.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by RealMccoy2(m): 1:06pm On Feb 09, 2013
shymexx: Nigerians and their sanctimonious stupidity and myopia - what's barbaric with the TIV ruler sharing his wife if that's their tradition Are there not swingers out there in the western world who give their wives and girlfriends to all and sundry for sex And people in open-relationships all over the world

The same pseudo-modernist clowns slagging the TIV culture are also the fools who think phaggots should be allowed to practice phaggotry - talk about freaking hypocrites!! If that's how they get down in TIV-land - let them be for crying out loud!!!

Topic:

Interesting and educative info. about the North - I don't know why, but Northerners are the coolest people in Nigeria IMO... Big ups to the North!!
Exposed northerners that are free of politics and religion are better friends that most southerners. When it comes to business they are more transparent. I agree with all you just said.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by lacasa: 1:10pm On Feb 09, 2013
Proudly Hausa

*Northern Pride*

wink

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 1:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
Mavrick2012: (1)
(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.
(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.
)

I don't know what your seven "facts" are suppose to teach but the two above are false. Zamfara has a substantial and significant indigenous Christian population mainly around Tsafe and Kwatarkwashi. Sokoto has indigenous Christian population. A recently retired federal permanent secretary representing sokoto is a Christian and full Hausa sokoto indigene , all his family and majority in his immediate community are Hausa Christians in sokoto state.
The number (3 ) above is sweeping statement which is careless as you have not done any research on that. The truth is that even at the time of Usman Danfodio 200 years ago there were Muslim Habe non Fulani kings or emirs in the north and subsequently there many. The fact that they were learned in ilsam and sharia and strong disciples of the sultanate does not automatically make them Fulani. Please when writing for public consumption stick to what you know very well. Your very limited education does not stop you from enlightening us , but stay within it's realm.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by RealMccoy2(m): 1:16pm On Feb 09, 2013
lacasa: Proudly Hausa

*Northern Pride*

wink

Most of us down south don't know much about hausa tradition or Northern tribes in general, would you mind creating a thread on the different ethnic groups and their idealogy? I never knew Rev.Father Kukah is from northern Nigeria, I enjoy him speak . Please excuse my ignorance.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 1:17pm On Feb 09, 2013
Legit1: @No 5
What if the visitor gets the wife pregnant?

So what? It's a blessing , he can visit again grin.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by AnanseK(m): 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2013
lacasa: Proudly Hausa

*Northern Pride*

I like.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by RealMccoy2(m): 1:20pm On Feb 09, 2013
AnanseK:

I don't know what your seven "facts" are suppose to teach but the two above are false. Zamfara has a substantial and significant indigenous Christian population mainly around Tsafe and Kwatarkwashi. Sokoto has indigenous Christian population. A recently retired federal permanent secretary representing sokoto is a Christian and full Hausa sokoto indigene , all his family and majority in his immediate community are Hausa Christians in sokoto state.
The number (3 ) above is sweeping statement which is careless as you have not done any research on that. The truth is that even at the time of Usman Danfodio 200 years ago there were Muslim Habe non Fulani kings or emirs in the north and subsequently there many. The fact that they were learned in ilsam and sharia and strong disciples of the sultanate does not automatically make them Fulani. Please when writing for public consumption stick to what you know very well. Your very limited education does not stop you from enlightening us , but stay within it's realm.
Thanks for pointing that out. There is a huge gap between north and south and I think not understanding each other is the root of our wahala. If Nigeria should divide, what will be the faith of Christian core northerners?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by NovusHomo(m): 1:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
Re: 7 Facts About The North by alaoeri: 1:23pm On Feb 09, 2013
Any Tiv man in the house make i pay him a visit. wink
Re: 7 Facts About The North by lacasa: 1:26pm On Feb 09, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

Most of us down south don't know much about hausa tradition or Northern tribes in general, would you mind creating a thread on the different ethnic groups and their idealogy? I never knew Rev.Father Kukah is from northern Nigeria, I enjoy him speak . Please excuse my ignorance.

Okay sir.

Will do my bst.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by AkSamara: 1:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
GƠ̴̴̴͡ aπϑ visit any of your tiv friend aπϑ gƠ̴̴̴͡ close t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ his wife if he won't pour ƔƠ̴̴͡Ʋ HOT WATER, den love them wife more than Ħ☹ϖ a ganja man love his bag of weed.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by honeric01(m): 1:33pm On Feb 09, 2013
A friend wrote this:

Yobe is not ruled by Fulani, Neither is Bauchi, Kaduna, Nassarawa and Taraba. Infact very few Northern States mostly the North Western States have a Fulani Emir. Some of the Emirs are of Hausa Descent, I may need to research the exact number of Fulani Emirs.
We also have to consider the "Hausa Bakwai, Banza Bakwai Myth". As you have stated, Hausa and Fulani are 2 different Ethnic groups
Re: 7 Facts About The North by tbaba1234: 1:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
some-girl:

^^off point.

The Catholic Encyclopediaobserves about the Virgin Mary (peace be upon her) that, “it is possible that Mary gave
birth to her Son when she was about thirteen or fourteen years of age.” (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm, accessed 06/11/2010)
Re: 7 Facts About The North by kandiikane(m): 1:35pm On Feb 09, 2013
some-girl:

^^off point.

Don't read the bible, study it and you will get your answer.

Many jews still do marry underaged girls.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Metallurgist: 1:35pm On Feb 09, 2013
fellis:

Women were probably twelve to fourteen years old when they got married. This was the normal age for girls to be married. But men normally would marry around 18 to early twenties.
according to the oldest chuch marry was 11 yrs old when she became pregnant with jesus, ans has to undergo the normal pregnancy and delivery, if God dont see anything wrong in an inpregenating an eleven yr old girl at that time i wonder why he will critisized it now, Xtain ar hypocrate for attacking islam on underage married as their books and authorities speak in favour, just because satanic atheist ar against a thing the chuch complice.imagin gay/female pastors in chuches, one wonder why the stories of lot ar doing in the bibble shm on xtains and xtainity,

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by yuzedo: 1:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
Mavrick2012:
(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

ONE NIGERIA!!!!!!!

**Now going to make-up with all my Tiv friends I have offended, and make new pals** tongue tongue tongue
Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 1:43pm On Feb 09, 2013
I do not see any FACT.Honestly.
The third divorce seem more of a Hausa or Fulani tradition than a Northern Muslim's.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ckkris: 1:44pm On Feb 09, 2013
[quote author=lacasa]Proudly Hausa

*Northern Pride*

wink

Very good to know this. Is this a native Hausa, or the Hausa-Fulani?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Ngutor(m): 1:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
It is good that the op labeled those 7 things facts and not truths. Someone once argued that that all truths are facts but not all facts are truths, but thats talk for another day.
Speaking as a tiv man I would say the op is uninformed or being mischievous. You can try to inquire from those that served (NYSC) in Benue state, perhaps they will give you a little insight of how many peoples wives they were offered to make thier 1year stay worth the while.
PLEASE we should not just write things because we have access to a device and internet, we should write to share accurate knowledge that would enlighten minds

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by mu2sa2: 1:49pm On Feb 09, 2013
ifyalways: Interesting.

Quick question, do they understand themselves and do they have a common/generally accepted and understood language?(Taraba state and co that are multi lingual)
In taraba, plateau, adamawa, borno,niger, kaduna,nasarawa hausa is the common language and is spoken by almost everybody although they may hav their native language - eg Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was not hausa, ditto adamu chiroma etc.In fact in the defunct Northern Region hausa language was the lingua franca and when u enter primary one u are taught to read and write in your native tongue as well as hausa so that by the time u finished primary school u will be trilingual - literate in your mother tongue, hausa and english. Boko haram was founded by a kanuri man and most of its members are not hausa but kanuri of borno and Yobe states. It's surprising that many people in SS and SE assume that every northerner is hausa or hausa/fulani and muslim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo) / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.