Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,732 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. (1791 Views)

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / What Would Make You Change Your Religion? / Would You Change Your Religion To Make Your Spouse Happy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by plaetton: 9:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
In the science of Psychiatry, nearly every human outbursts of emotion and negative human proclivity can now be classified as one form of neurosis or psychosis.
Emotions like anger, Impatience, anxiety, frustration, over-excitement, big appetite, no appetite, excessive swearing, cyber bullying,mortal fear of every unknown, etc. can now be classified, diagnosed and treated as a form of mental illness, or imbalance , if you prefer that term.
However, the good news is that if you suffer any one of these, do not not worry,because, the big pharmaceutical companies have one-a-day medication especially for you, to contain all your problems and disorders.

This reminds of me religion.
Infact, the eerie similarities between Religion and psychiatry is becoming very pronounced. Both deal with the common ailments or difficiencies of the human psyche.
This means that for every ailment of the human psyche, there is both a medication and specific religious flavour to suit.

So, tell me whatever neurosis or psychosis that troubleth thee and I will either write thee a prescription for the perfect one-a-day medication, or ,I will recommend the perfect religious sect for thee.

Welcome to the brave new era.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 14, 2013
Lolol. Plaetton, what happened to you?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by plaetton: 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
Reyginus: Lolol. Plaetton, what happened to you?

Drinking, perhaps, what you guys have been drinking all along. lol grin
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
Religion is already a drug
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by cyrexx: 6:18am On Jan 15, 2013
A christian (and muslim's) mind is damaged from cognitive dissonance.. in order to sustain Christianity, it has toaccept contradicting beliefs .. such contradictions are just part of how a christian "thinks", and rather than face them they hide behind the crutch of "god is mysterious" "we should not question" "you do not understand my faith".

The problem is, I've never met a christian who really DOES understand their OWN faith. Its just not possible to understand it as a whole
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by engrtee(f): 7:26am On Jan 15, 2013
Let me see.i am suffering from christianity. Any drug?any cure?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 15, 2013
plaetton:

Drinking, perhaps, what you guys have been drinking all along. lol grin
Lol. Okay. To the thread proper. Before I take any stand I'd like to know if you're serious about the claim you made?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by AtheistD(m): 7:36am On Jan 15, 2013
cyrexx: A christian (and muslim's) mind is damaged from cognitive dissonance.. in order to sustain Christianity, it has toaccept contradicting beliefs .. such contradictions are just part of how a christian "thinks", and rather than face them they hide behind the crutch of "god is mysterious" "we should not question" "you do not understand my faith".

The problem is, I've never met a christian who really DOES understand their OWN faith. Its just not possible to understand it as a whole

And then they call Atheists fools. Most know little about their religion. They know little about God, next to nothing about heaven and hell, even less about how they should treat unbelievers etc.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 8:22am On Jan 15, 2013
I do not like being drawn into all this mental brouhaha stuff, but since we are talking about let's speak on it based on facts:

The prestigious Mayo Clinic found that
that religious involvement and
spirituality are associated with better
physical health, mental health, health-
related quality of life and other health
outcomes.[1]
Concerning atheism and health, there
is considerable amount of scientific
evidence that suggest that theism is
more conducive to mental and physical
health than atheism [2] (see also:
Atheism and mental health and Atheism
and depression and Atheism and suicide
and Atheism and obesity).
The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the
following on December 11, 2001:

In an article also published in this issue
of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic
researchers reviewed published studies,
meta-analyses, systematic reviews and
subject reviews that examined the
association between religious
involvement and spirituality and physical
health, mental health, health-related
quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the
nearly 350 studies of physical health and
850 studies of mental health that have
used religious and spiritual variables
have found that religious involvement
and spirituality are associated with
better health outcomes.[3]

The Iona Institute reported:

A meta-analysis of all studies, both
published and unpublished, relating to
religious involvement and longevity was
carried out in 2000. Forty-two studies
were included, involving some 126,000
subjects. Active religious involvement
increased the chance of living longer by
some 29%, and participation in public
religious practices, such as church
attendance, increased the chance of
living longer by 43%.[4][5]

In December of 2003, the University of
Warwick reported:

Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University
of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem
to have a greater purpose in life, which
is why they are happier. Looking at the
research evidence, it seems that those
who celebrate the Christian meaning of
Christmas are on the whole likely to be
happier.[6]

Currently, there is an ongoing debate on
whether atheism was a causal factor for
Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity or whether
it was caused purely through disease.
Duke University has established the
Center for Spirituality, Theology and
Health.[7] The Duke University Center
for Spirituality, Theology and Health is
based in the Center for Aging at Duke
and gives opportunities for scholarly
trans-disciplinary conversation and the
development of collaborative research
projects.[8] In respect to the atheism
and mental and physical health, the
center offers many studies which
suggest that theism is more beneficial
than atheism.[9]
The Christian group Teen Challenge
reported the following:

Teen Challenge claims of a 70% cure
rate for the drug addicts graduating from
their program attracted the attention of
the U.S. Federal Government in 1973.
Most secular drug rehabilitation
programs only experienced a cure rate
of 1-15% of their graduates. The National
Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of
the U.S. Department of Health,
Education, and Welfare, funded the first
year of this study to evaluate the long
term results of the Teen Challenge
program.[10]

Teen Challenge has a number of studies
that indicate the high effectiveness of
their drug treatment program compared
to other programs.[11]
Currently, there is an ongoing debate
regarding whether atheism was a causal
factor for Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity
or whether it was caused strictly by
disease.[12] [13]
An article published on the Hong Kong
Baptist University website offers the
following regarding the cause of
Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity:

Trying to explain what caused his
insanity can only be a matter of
speculation. Some people believe it was
the result of a physical illness. Others
interpret his suffering as that of a true
prophet, almost as if he were accepting
the punishment on behalf of those who
could not see mankind's tendency
towards self-destruction so clearly. Still
others regard his final fate as a natural
outcome of his philosophical outlook.[13]

The Russian-born psychoanalyst and
writer Lou Andreas-Salomé, who had a
brief and tempestuous affair with
Nietzsche, believed that Nietzsche's
philosophy can be viewed as a reflection
of his psychology and that his madness
was the result of his philosophizing.[14]
In addition, the French historian René
Girard asserted that Nietzsche's
philosophy led to his insanity

www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_health

2 Likes

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by AtheistD(m): 8:26am On Jan 15, 2013
^^^

Really? Religion and better mental health?

You need to come to Nigeria. It is the direct opposite. Religion is turning ppl into cold blooded murderers and paranoid schizophrenics. shocked

3 Likes

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 8:58am On Jan 15, 2013
^
And you are suppose to be the rational one arguing on facts? Smh at nl atheism!

1 Like

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by AtheistD(m): 9:04am On Jan 15, 2013
Stalwert: ^
And you are suppose to be the rational one arguing on facts? Smh at nl atheism!

It might be the case in other parts of the world but not Nigeria.

Are you based in Nigeria at all? Do you see what is on ground?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 9:06am On Jan 15, 2013
The website Adherents.com reported the
following in respect to atheism and
suicide:

Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman
compiled country-by-country survey,
polling and census numbers relating to
atheism, agnosticism, disbelief in God
and people who state they are non-
religious or have no religious preference.
These data were published in the
chapter titled "Atheism: Contemporary
Rates and Patterns" in The Cambridge
Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael
Martin, Cambridge University Press:
Cambridge, UK (2005). In examining
various indicators of societal health,
Zuckerman concludes about suicide:
"Concerning suicide rates, this is the one
indicator of societal health in which
religious nations fare much better than
secular nations. According to the 2003
World Health Organization's report on
international male suicides rates (which
compared 100 countries), of the top ten
nations with the highest male suicide
rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly
irreligious nations with high levels of
atheism. It is interesting to note,
however, that of the top remaining nine
nations leading the world in male suicide
rates, all are former Soviet/Communist
nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and
Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with
the lowest male suicide rates, all are
highly religious nations with statistically
insignificant levels of organic
atheism."[22]

Quoted from the same website at post 8.

It seems clearly theism serve humanity better head wise!

2 Likes

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by AtheistD(m): 9:09am On Jan 15, 2013
For suicides. Suicide is only one aspect of mental health.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 9:11am On Jan 15, 2013
Atheist:-D:

It might be the case in other parts of the world but not Nigeria.

Are you based in Nigeria at all? Do you see what is on ground?

No statistics, no studies just your hunch at what you "see" and yet you are the ones who are rational? Please if you want to argue, argue on facts not just what your feelings cook up to justify your misguided venture into psychiatry!

1 Like

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 9:14am On Jan 15, 2013
For suicides. Suicide is only one aspect of mental health.

So is it best you atheist start up thread exhorting one another from committing suicide than trying to counsel theist who already have a legion of solutions and support to fall upon? All is suicide not one of the worst consequence of mental problems?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by AtheistD(m): 9:42am On Jan 15, 2013
Stalwert:

So is it best you atheist start up thread exhorting one another from committing suicide than trying to counsel theist who already have a legion of solutions and support to fall upon? All is suicide not one of the worst consequence of mental problems?

No you dont. Your so called solutions are creating both social and psychological problems.

We could but there are many reasons for suicide. Until this is looked into in detail then it will be difficult to ascertain if atheism alone is the key factor. Also maybe atheists display a higher tendency in these stats because they are discrimanted against by religions which adds more stress. The same way a xtian in the middle east would.

Stalwert:

No statistics, no studies just your hunch at what you "see" and yet you are the ones who are rational? Please if you want to argue, argue on facts not just what your feelings cook up to justify your misguided venture into psychiatry!

Being on ground can make all the difference in countries like Nigeria. Just like on election day a result is presented but ppl at the ballot boxes have a different story. Stats are hard to acquire in Nigeria.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 15, 2013

No you dont. Your so called solutions are creating both social and psychological problems.

We could but there are many reasons for suicide. Until this is looked into in detail then it will be difficult to ascertain if atheism alone is the key factor. Also maybe atheists display a higher tendency in these stats because they are discrimanted against by religions which adds more stress. The same way a xtian in the middle east would.

Being on ground can make all the difference in countries like Nigeria. Just like on election day a result is presented but ppl at the ballot boxes have a different story. Stats are hard to acquire in Nigeria.

1.So does it mean that the discrimination by religion is what is leading your pips to sui=cide? where is your proof

2.Furthermore, Atheism is an old disbelief in God, so how come with all the advancement and enlightenement, it has not yet been verified as a key factor of delusion leading to the high rate in suicide prone states?

3. Yet Richard dawkins said we that have the delusion in God, yet statistically, it has been shown that suicide rate is higher becos of delusion amongst the "enlightened ones". why??

1 Like

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 15, 2013
Stalwert: The website Adherents.com reported the
following in respect to atheism and
suicide:

Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman
compiled country-by-country survey,
polling and census numbers relating to
atheism, agnosticism, disbelief in God
and people who state they are non-
religious or have no religious preference.
These data were published in the
chapter titled "Atheism: Contemporary
Rates and Patterns" in The Cambridge
Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael
Martin, Cambridge University Press:
Cambridge, UK (2005). In examining
various indicators of societal health,
Zuckerman concludes about suicide:
"Concerning suicide rates, this is the one
indicator of societal health in which
religious nations fare much better than
secular nations. According to the 2003
World Health Organization's report on
international male suicides rates (which
compared 100 countries), of the top ten
nations with the highest male suicide
rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly
irreligious nations with high levels of
atheism. It is interesting to note,
however, that of the top remaining nine
nations leading the world in male suicide
rates, all are former Soviet/Communist
nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and
Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with
the lowest male suicide rates, all are
highly religious nations with statistically
insignificant levels of organic
atheism."[22]

Quoted from the same website at post 8.

It seems clearly theism serve humanity better head wise!

Conservapedia? Hmm?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 11:41am On Jan 15, 2013

Since you have vowed not to face the FACTs I cannot help, all FACTs cited in the article are clearly based on studies and the studies doesn't help your case neither does it help the OP, the OP is behaving like a man whose house is on fire, threatening to induce suicide in his household trapped therein, rushes to his neighbor's house to quench the little fire there which his neighbor's is already dousing! You see the prepondance of evidence shows yet again that theism serves Humanity better, you can write Nigeria a million times but all you are saying seems to point the fact that you rather than argue on FACTs prefer arguing on conjecture, I know that seems to be nl atheists specialty but sorry I just don't have the time for such follies indeed!

1 Like

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 11:47am On Jan 15, 2013
I remember manmuswac once locked a thread that discussed atheism and mental illness yet we know he will hardly find this insulting, another case of moderating at your whims indeed with little or no respect for consistency!
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

The fool quoted conservapedia?

You must be a tool for that.

A muslim quoting an extremist christian website as factual. Bloody reetard
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by plaetton: 3:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
@stalwart
In other words, you are trying to prove that the religious therapy is much more effective treatment for the many ailments of the human psyche than the psychiatric medications?
Point well taken.
Yes I agree, atheist are more prone to depression, but for many reasons.
Religion is like a buffer, a last resort, fallback machanism, simply because it deals with the ultimate, the undefinable, the supernatural.
When you conjure up an omni omni god to wave the magic wand, it can indeed have a positive effect on human being outlook, even if temporary.
But like all other narcotics and feel good drugs, it only creates delusions. Most folks would rather remain in that delusional state for their entire lives. As long as they do no harm to anyone or the society, we can all live with that.

Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Take a look at the history of religion to see just what I'm talking about.Take a look at Islamic fundamentalists, look at Boko Haram, look the Pentecostal Fraudsters of Nigeria(PFN).

Also,in most societies,atheists are minorities and risk rejection, persecution, and even personal harm. So most times, an atheist live in a closet for most his or her life. No one can be fully happy and fulfilled if you cannot express yourself and your mind on an issue that is so vital.
So again, I agree, the life of an atheist is not very happy one when you have to do constant battles with armies of religious zealots on a daily basis.

The issue of mental illness is a different thing altogether.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
^
You can keep reading with your eyes closed, the article simply proves that mental illness seems to have a greater tendency amongst atheists than theists so your thread should look inward!

2 Likes

Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
Emotions like anger, Impatience, anxiety, frustration, over-excitement, big appetite, no appetite, excessive swearing, cyber bullying,mortal fear of every unknown, etc. can now be classified, diagnosed and treated as a form of mental illness, or imbalance , if you prefer that term.
However, the good news is that if you suffer any one of these, do not not worry,because, the big pharmaceutical companies have one-a-day medication especially for you, to contain all your problems and disorders.
wit what stalwert quoted above, it seems contradictory, else all the suicide rate would have been negligible in this near atheist states. But alas is the reverse. Stump religion aside, stump nigeria aside, why has this states not have a reduced suicide rate wit all the hype atheists promote?
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by plaetton: 6:10pm On Jan 15, 2013
Stalwert: ^
You can keep reading with your eyes closed, the article simply proves that mental illness seems to have a greater tendency amongst atheists than theists so your thread should look inward!

The article proves no such thing. Do you the meaning of the word prove?
The study, a very small sample, links overall sense of well with religiousity. Feeling good is not the same as being good.
The study never implies that atheist are more prone to mental illnesses and disorders.
My post seeks point out that religion, like many psychiatric drugs can be efficacious, perhaps even more, for the relief of ailments of the human psyche.
You have not made any case to repudiate that. Rather,you have tried to show , by making reference to a study, that religion is better than no religion in the treatment of ailments of the human psyche. You might be right, but that is just your opinion.

If an atheist is in a closet because he is afraid of the rejection from family and friends, sure it would affect his overall mental health, vis-a-vis his social well being. He suffers not because he rejected god, he suffers because he is the victim of rejection and persecution. Monority chiristians in places like Iran or Pakistan or saudi Arabia would suffer the same mental and social trauma.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 15, 2013
plaetton:

The article proves no such thing. Do you the meaning of the word prove?
The study, a very small sample, links overall sense of well with religiousity. Feeling good is not the same as being good.
The study never implies that atheist are more prone to mental illnesses and disorders.
My post seeks point out that religion, like many psychiatric drugs can be efficacious, perhaps even more, for the relief of ailments of the human psyche.
You have not made any case to repudiate that. Rather,you have tried to show , by making reference to a study, that religion is better than no religion in the treatment of ailments of the human psyche. You might be right, but that is just your opinion.

If an atheist is in a closet because he is afraid of the rejection from family and friends, sure it would affect his overall mental health, vis-a-vis his social well being. He suffers not because he rejected god, he suffers because he is the victim of rejection and persecution. Monority chiristians in places like Iran or Pakistan or saudi Arabia would suffer the same mental and social trauma.

GBAM!!!
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by JeSoul(f): 8:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
Logicboy there was no need for insults.

Please fellas carry on cordially.
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 15, 2013
JeSoul: Logicboy there was no need for insults.

Please fellas carry on cordially.

Sorry. cry
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by Stalwert: 3:23pm On Jan 16, 2013

development of collaborative In respect to the atheism
than atheism.[9]
Re: Psychiatry And Religion: Show Me Your Ailment And I'll Prescribe Your Religion. by plaetton: 4:13pm On Jan 16, 2013
Stalwert:

development of collaborative In respect to the atheism
than atheism.[9]

Same thing over and over gain. The study suggests that theism is a better drug than atheism. I have addressed that issue and why it seemed so.
That idea is not new at all. Karl Marx already noted long ago that " religion is the opium of the people"
Again the study does not say that atheists were more predisposed to mental illness.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is God's Will Always Very Difficult? / A HIGHER DEMON CAN CAST OUT A LOWER DEMON FOR DECEPTION. TB JOSHUA IS A DEMON. / What Are Spiritual Gifts - Prophet Olaye George

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.