Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

What Jesus Said About Hell - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Jesus Said About Hell (2042 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? / The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 6:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
There is only way to enter earth. That way is through the "door"

Either come in through the door and if the dividing line is crossed,

then the way to legally re-enter back to EARTH will be via that same vessel, that is, if it is still intact . . .

otherwise who is not entering through the door is a thief

# I've reached my stop and will have to continue later
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: be careful donot start condeming stuff u knw nothing abt. The catholics didnt say there is a third eternal place where some pipo go and spend eternity but instead dat those who built on christ as their foundation but built with straw (imperfect love, imperfect faith or imperfect work) will experience Divine beatitude (heaven, salvation), but only thru purification of all their uncleaniness in God's fiery love and b4 heaven they are stripped of all the weight of their imperfection. They are saved but "as thru fire". That teaching is what catholics call "purgation" and it sure as hell is biblical. There are only 2 eternal destination heaven or hell but those who come b4 judgement with straw will certainly suffer loss b4 entering heaven, they are saved as though by fire
The word "purgatory" sure as hell ain't biblical.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 7:18pm On Jan 16, 2013
Bidam: The word "purgatory" sure as hell ain't biblical.
very correct, neither is trinity or incanation, the words were used to denote a particular teaching. Instead of telling d long story of how those with inpefect works enter heaven, i simply use a single word, dat way d discussion isnt prolonged. Hope u understand, if not we may agree to disagree.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: very correct, neither is trinity or incanation, the words were used to denote a particular teaching. Instead of telling d long story of how those with inpefect works enter heaven, i simply use a single word, dat way d discussion isnt prolonged. Hope u understand, if not we may agree to disagree.

kindly show us evidence of purgatory in the bible !
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 7:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

No, he cannot.

You either believe that JESUS died fully as a MAN and was raised from the grave on the third day, or you do not.

Any other position is contrary to the bible.

DEATH is an all encompassing experience,

you cannot die and be alive in another form or shape, this is the stuff of pagan greek philosophy which infiltrated the church through Catholicism.

@frosbel

Death, indeed, is an all encompassing experience

but fundamentally it is a dividing line - a multi-tier one, as it were for that matter

". . . you cannot die and be alive in another form or shape . . ." smiley - that's a bit emphatic and "fatwa" sounding

Surrealism? Maybe not the way you suppose or understand it smiley

# Need wind down a bit and grab a bite, I'll be back or will I not . . .
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 7:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

kindly show us evidence of purgatory in the bible !
1 cor 3:13-15
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
^^^

You are joking , right !!
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by pastormustwacc: 8:05pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: 1 cor 3:13-15
frosbel: ^^^

Either that else he has lost his
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Ubenedictus(m): 8:08pm On Jan 16, 2013

no joke.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by moredendisc: 8:09pm On Jan 16, 2013

@frosbel

You've prolly worked out, am not of the purgatory brigade

Jesus, His body was put to death, had a 3 day OOBE; OOBE for a lack of a better description,

then was brought to life through his spirit, before deterioration had a chance to set on the body.

It'll be nice to know your position about Jesus Christ;

Position, as in, whether that, Jesus, is of, a First name, baptismal or personal name sort

and Christ, is not, of a Last name or surname sort.

Also what's your reflection or take relative to Jesus and God with regards to the bolded in Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6

"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign;
Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son,
and shall call his name Immanuel
". - Isaiah 7:14 KJV

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called
Wonderful,
Counseller,
The mighty God,
The everlasting Father,
The Prince of Peace.
" - Isaiah 9:6 KJV

Is anything too hard for the LORD?

Please let's have the pleasure of your take on and position about the Omnipotence, Omnipresence and Simultaneous Occurrence of God
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
OLAADEGBU: What Jesus Said about Hell
January 15, 2013.

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell" (Matthew 5:29).

People do not like to think about hell--especially those who are headed there! But that doesn't mean it isn't real.

We need to know that the Lord Jesus Himself often warned about the reality of hell. Today's verse is in His Sermon on the Mount, a message often quoted because of its wonderful promises. Hell is also mentioned in the same sermon in Matthew 5:22 and 5:30. Jesus also stressed in that sermon that "broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat" (Matthew 7:13). He later warned that we should "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28 ).

The religious leaders of the day were not exempt. To them, speaking of their religious hypocrisy, He said, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:33).

Hell is also a place of fire or possibly of some fearful environment that could only be described adequately under the metaphor of fire. "Depart from me," He will say to the lost souls at His coming judgment, "into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41). Hell is called a "lake of fire" by Christ in John's vision of Him on His great white throne, where He will have to say, "But the fearful, and unbelieving, . . . and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8 ).

Hell will indeed be very real--eternally real! Since Christ is both our Creator and our Saviour, who died for our sins and defeated death by His resurrection, it is foolish for anyone to reject His revelation about hell. HMM

For more . . . .

How conveniently frosbel sidetracked the OP and started chasing shadows. Address the issue at hand and stop beating about the bush.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02pm On Jun 06, 2013
"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell" (Matthew 5:29).
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jun 06, 2013
"fear him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell". Matt 10:28

if the body and soul will be destroyed in hell, then what is eternal torment again? @OLAADEGBU
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Jun 06, 2013
Segeggs: "fear him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell". Matt 10:28

if the body and soul will be destroyed in hell, then what is eternal torment again? @OLAADEGBU

Do you want to learn by experience?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Do you want to learn by experience?
answer the question instead of hiding stylishly.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:49pm On Jun 06, 2013
Segeggs:

answer the question instead of hiding stylishly.

My advise in your quest for experiential answers is to put on a parachute when jumping through the gates of death to be sure of safe landing.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 06, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

My advise in your quest for experiential answers is to put on a parachute when jumping through the gates of death to be sure of safe landing.
i guess my question exposed the lie of eternal torment thats why you cant answer it.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:06pm On Jun 06, 2013
Segeggs:

i guess my question exposed the lie of eternal torment thats why you cant answer it.

The parachute is the Lord Jesus Christ. Don't just believe in Him you have to put Him on daily so as to land safely on the other side of eternity.

1 Like

Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 06, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

The parachute is the Lord Jesus Christ. Don't just believe in Him you have to put Him on daily so as to land safely on the other side of eternity.
Good response.well timed.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: Good response.well timed.
wrong response and wrong timing.

the question is up there, he should Answer it instead of dodging.
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:32am On Jun 07, 2013
Segeggs: wrong response and wrong timing.

the question is up there, he should Answer it instead of dodging.

The question is this in case you missed it: What did Jesus say about hell?
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:36pm On Jun 07, 2013
This is what Jesus and the apostles said about hell:

"I am He that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death"
(Rev. 1:18) The Evidence Bible.

There are three words translated "hell" in Scripture:

Gehenna (Greek): The place of punishment (Matthew 5:22,29; 10:28; and James 3:6)

Hades (Greek): The abode of the dead (Matthew 11:23; 16:18, Luke 16:23; Acts 2:27)

Sheol (Hebrew): The grave (Psalm 9:17; 16:10)

There are those who accept that hell is a place of punishment, but believe that the punishment is to be annihilated—to cease conscious existence. They can’t conceive that the punishment of the wicked will be conscious and eternal. If they are correct, then a man like Adolph Hitler, who was responsible for the deaths of millions, is being "punished" merely with eternal sleep. His fate is simply to return to the non-existent state he was in before he was born, where he doesn’t even know that he is being punished.

However, Scripture paints a different story. The rich man who found himself in hell (Luke 16:19–31) was conscious. He was able to feel pain, to thirst, and to experience remorse. He wasn’t asleep in the grave; he was in a place of "torment." If hell is a place of knowing nothing or a reference to the grave into which we go at death, Jesus' statements about hell make no sense. He said that if your hand, foot, or eye causes you to sin, it would be better to remove it than to:

"go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched"
(Mark 9:43–48 ).

The Bible refers to the fate of the unsaved with such fearful words as the following:

"Shame and everlasting contempt"
(Daniel 12:2)

"Everlasting punishment"
(Mathew 25:46)

"Weeping and gnashing of teeth"
(Matthew 24:51)

"Fire unquenchable"
(Luke 3:17)

"Indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish"
(Romans 2:8,9)

"Everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord"
(2 Thessalonians 1:9)

"Eternal fire...the blackness of darkness for ever"
(Jude 7,13)

Revelation 14:10,11 tells us the final, eternal destiny of the sinner:

"He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone...the smoke of their torment ascended up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day or night."

For those who insist on being cantankerous then the following is for you:

"He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still"
(Revelation 22:11)
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by ijawkid(m): 3:58pm On Jun 07, 2013
OLAADEGBU: This is what Jesus and the apostles said about hell:

(Rev. 1:18) The Evidence Bible.

There are three words translated "hell" in Scripture:

Gehenna (Greek): The place of punishment (Matthew 5:22,29; 10:28; and James 3:6)

Hades (Greek): The abode of the dead (Matthew 11:23; 16:18, Luke 16:23; Acts 2:27)

Sheol (Hebrew): The grave (Psalm 9:17; 16:10)

There are those who accept that hell is a place of punishment, but believe that the punishment is to be annihilated—to cease conscious existence. They can’t conceive that the punishment of the wicked will be conscious and eternal. If they are correct, then a man like Adolph Hitler, who was responsible for the deaths of millions, is being "punished" merely with eternal sleep. His fate is simply to return to the non-existent state he was in before he was born, where he doesn’t even know that he is being punished.

However, Scripture paints a different story. The rich man who found himself in hell (Luke 16:19–31) was conscious. He was able to feel pain, to thirst, and to experience remorse. He wasn’t asleep in the grave; he was in a place of "torment." If hell is a place of knowing nothing or a reference to the grave into which we go at death, Jesus' statements about hell make no sense. He said that if your hand, foot, or eye causes you to sin, it would be better to remove it than to:

(Mark 9:43–48 ).

The Bible refers to the fate of the unsaved with such fearful words as the following:

(Daniel 12:2)

(Mathew 25:46)

(Matthew 24:51)

(Luke 3:17)

(Romans 2:8,9)

(2 Thessalonians 1:9)

(Jude 7,13)

Revelation 14:10,11 tells us the final, eternal destiny of the sinner:

For those who insist on being cantankerous then the following is for you:

(Revelation 22:11)

1.Everlasting fire
2..Everlasting torment..
3..Smoke rising up forever,.

All the 3 above happened to inanimate/abstract entities.....city of sodom and gomorrah,tyre and sidon, etc.....so try to be consistent my bro....remember death itself would be thrown into what ever fire you are preaching about....

And as regards Jesus telling us to cut off our eyes and ears and what ever that stumbles us so as not to go into the fire that never ends I hope you must at one time or the other literally amputated some of your body parts because I know we all get stumbled.....if that fire is literal then the cutting off of body parts must be literal as well.....

Just a lil reminder...cheesy cool
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 07, 2013
ijawkid:

1.Everlasting fire
2..Everlasting torment..
3..Smoke rising up forever,.

All the 3 above happened to inanimate/abstract entities.....city of sodom and gomorrah,tyre and sidon, etc.....so try to be consistent my bro....remember death itself would be thrown into what ever fire you are preaching about....

And as regards Jesus telling us to cut off our eyes and ears and what ever that stumbles us so as not to go into the fire that never ends I hope you must at one time or the other literally amputated some of your body parts because I know we all get stumbled.....if that fire is literal then the cutting off of body parts must be literal as well.....

Just a lil reminder...cheesy cool
grin old stale news..we do read all these for watch tower tire. No substance.next pls
Re: What Jesus Said About Hell by ijawkid(m): 7:35pm On Jun 07, 2013
Bidam: grin old stale news..we do read all these for watch tower tire. No substance.next pls

gringrin.....

So what is new??....that people would be roasting for all eternity abi...including death......

grin.......

(1) (2) (Reply)

"There is no Hell." / The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues / Give Me A Reason To Go To Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.