Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,928 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues (2032 Views)

Many Lies Of Redeem's Adeboye For 2016 / The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 4:24am On Dec 08, 2013
There's been a lot of misconceptions about the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues, and I'll try my best to clarify some of them.
1. Speaking in tongues is not for everybody: every christian can speak in tongues. The problem is some christians confuse it with speaking with divers tongues classified as a gift of the Holy Spirit in corinthians. Speaking with divers tongues and interpretation (which is for the edification of the church) is a special gift for some people but speaking in tongues( which is for your own edification) is for everyone
2. You have to be holy to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit: the most common argument is tha God is holy and cannot dwell in an unclean vessel, the question is were you holy before you got born again. One of the functions of the Holy Spirit is make to make you live a holy life plus if you are already perfect and holy then why do you need the Holy Spirit. Besides the Holy Spirit dwells in your spirit(that is born again) and not your flesh( that is filled with corruption)
3. The Holy Spirit will leave you if live a sinful life: Jesus Christ said the Holy Spirit will abide with you forever(john14:16) I don't know where most people get the doctrine that if you commit sin the Holy Spirit will leave you from. The Holy Spirit is there to make to make you perfect and will never leave you nor forsake you.

1 Like

Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by kevoh(m): 6:13am On Dec 08, 2013
Ok.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 08, 2013
Refer to this thread for clarity on the subject matter sir.

https://www.nairaland.com/1141513/why-believers-should-speak-tongues
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: Refer to this thread for clarity on the subject matter sir.

https://www.nairaland.com/1141513/why-believers-should-speak-tongues
I didn't even know that such a thread exists on nairaland, I'll check it.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 2:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
2..... the question is were you holy before you got born again.

If you were ever taught the proper way to get born again you realise it involves total repentance,full confession & complete withrawal from all known sins.Not the type they practise in backslidden pentecostal churches these days that pronounces you born again with your sins intact.Even if you've never been holy,you must at least be fully repented & cleansed from all sins before you can ever be eligible for holy ghost baptism.
fredx4: One of the functions of the Holy Spirit is to make you live a holy life plus if you are already perfect and holy then why do you need the Holy Spirit.
The Holy spirit aids and empowers you as you obey Him.He doesn't work without your submission & cooperation.
fredx4: Besides the Holy Spirit dwells in your spirit(that is born again) and not your flesh( that is filled with corruption).
If sins are still allowed wilfully as is the practise of so many misguided tongue speaking pentecostals,the spirit remains in corruption & cannot habour the HOLY spirit.

fredx4: 3. The Holy Spirit will leave you if live a sinful life: Jesus Christ said the Holy Spirit will abide with you forever(john14:16) I don't know where most people get the doctrine that if you commit sin the Holy Spirit will leave you from. The Holy Spirit is there to make to make you perfect and will never leave you nor forsake you.
Folks like you are the reason why we have even half nak'ed prostitutes & unrepentant rougues in churches speaking in "tongues".Your teaching in the above is part of the reason Catholic church members are bold to bash pentecostals.How can a spirit that is "HOLY" dwell in a sin infested spirit.Even catholics will mock you on this one.Bros,If you sin (at least wilfully) the HOLY spirit of the Jesus Christ (not the one of carnal pentecostals)will depart from you IMMEDIATELY take it or argue with it till Jerusalem.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 2:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
The only SPIRIT that can dwell in the life of a wilful sin allowing christian is an EVIL spirit and never the HOLY spirit.Are you truely holy ghost baptised? Go on and allow sin & decieve yourself that the holy spirit is still in you while you yet speak in those tongues you trust in.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn:
If you were ever taught the proper way to get born again you realise it involves total repentance,full confession & complete withrawal from all known sins.Not the type they practise in backslidden pentecostal churches these days that pronounces you born again with your sins intact.Even if you've never been holy,you must at least be fully repented & cleansed from all sins before you can ever be eligible for holy ghost baptism.

You don't really know much about salvation. If it was possible for you too gain God's approval by keeping the law then why did Jesus Christ have to die for our sins. Confessing your sins does not make you holy what you confess to get saved is Jesus Christ and do you mean that a sinner that gets born again will suddenly withdraw from all known sins

The Holy spirit aids and empowers you as you obey Him.He doesn't work without your submission & cooperation.

Now did I say you shouldn't cooperate with the Holy spirit.

If sins are still allowed wilfully as is the practise of so many misguided tongue speaking pentecostals,the spirit remains in corruption & cannot habour the HOLY spirit.

When you get saved, you become a new creature(your spirit). Your new spirit is incorruptible but what you have problem with is your body and your mind.

Folks like you are the reason why we have even half nak'ed prostitutes & unrepentant rougues in church speaking in "tongues".Your teaching in the above is part of the reason Catholic church members are bold to bash pentecostals.How can a spirit that is HOLY dwell in a sin infested spirit.Even catholics will mock you on this one.Bros,If you sin (at least wilfully) the HOLY spirit of the Jesus Christ (not the one of carnal pentecostals)will depart from you IMMEDIATELY take it or argue with it till Jerusalem.
Everybody needs the Holy Spirit, if a prostitute can get saved then he/she has qualified for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and I don't have any business with the catholics they can say what they like.
You have just talked like a pharisee, you are trying to gain God's approval by keeping the law instead of accepting Jesus Christ's righteousness
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 2:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn: The only SPIRIT that can dwell in the life of a wilful sin allowing christian is an EVIL spirit and never the HOLY spirit.Are you truely holy ghost baptised? Go on and allow sin & decieve yourself that the holy spirit is still in you while you yet speak in those tongues you trust in.
I really don't know how to help you, but you need to be delivered from sin consciousness.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 3:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
I really don't know how to help you, but you need to be delivered from sin consciousness.
You are the one that truely needs help.You need to be delivered from downplaying the threat of sin to a sin loving,sin allowing,fake tongues speaking christian.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 3:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
You don't really know much about salvation. If it was possible for you too gain God's approval by keeping the law then why did Jesus Christ have to die for our sins. Confessing your sins does not make you holy what you confess to get saved is Jesus Christ and do you mean that a sinner that gets born again will suddenly withdraw from all known sins
Your problem arises from a lack of the proper understanding of the word "law "Jesus said I have not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.When people talk about the law or works of the law in the bible they fail to understand that the ceremonial laws that required the sacrifice of animals & sprinkling their blood have been abolished but the moral laws that requires you live a righteous life are still upheld in the new dispensation.
For you to be genuinely born again you must confess your sins and renounce them before Jesus can apply His cleansing blood.You must also withdraw from all known sins.Some truely born again christians "stumble" into sin by mistake.That means for you to truely answer a true born again,you must live above wilful sin.I fully understand by these your questions that you are one of those that are taught amiss in these new generation pentecostal churches that are bringing shame to christianity by their character & conduct while they claim "born again" & "spirit filled".
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 4:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn:
You are the one that truely needs help.You need to be delivered from downplaying the threat of sin to a sin loving,sin allowing,fake tongues speaking christian.
I never said any christian should love sin. No christian in his right senses will be happy to commit sin but has hatred for sin stopped christians from committing sin? Read the book of galatians you are justified either by works(keeping the law) or by grace, you can't mix both together. Sin consciousness won't stop you from committing sin instead it'll bring condemnation to you when you fall into sin, thereby hindering you from getting blessed by God. Galatians 2:16 "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified"
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
I never said any christian should love sin. No christian in his right senses will be happy to commit sin but has hatred for sin stopped christians from committing sin? Read the book of galatians you are justified either by works(keeping the law) or by grace, you can't mix both together. Sin consciousness won't stop you from committing sin instead it'll bring condemnation to you when you fall into sin, thereby hindering you from getting blessed by God. Galatians 2:16 "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified"
Do you also realise that faith without works is dead james 2:20.The works of the law being spoken of in the verse you quoted are the ceremonial laws whereby animal sacrifices are done.It doesn't include the moral laws that require you to work in effort to live righteous.Work out your salvation.Phil.2:12,13.
You seriously need a balanced understanding of the scriptures according to 2 tim.2:15....rightly dividing the word of truth.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 5:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn:
Do you also realise that faith without works is dead james 2:20.The works of the law being spoken of in the verse you quoted are the ceremonial laws whereby animal sacrifices are done.It doesn't include the moral laws that require you to work in effort to live righteous.Work out your salvation.Phil.2:12,13.
You seriously need a balanced understanding of the scriptures according to 2 tim.2:15....rightly dividing the word of truth.
What do you mean by ceremonial laws? So you think God classifies His laws as important and ceremonial. You have just shown me that you have no knowledge of the scriptures. If you fulfil 99.9% of the law, you are still going to hell. So know what you are doing if you want to justify yourself before God by fulfilling the law and reject the grace of God.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 5:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
What do you mean by ceremonial laws? So you think God classifies His laws as important and ceremonial. You have just shown me that you have no knowledge of the scriptures. If you fulfil 99.9% of the law, you are still going to hell. So know what you are doing if you want to justify yourself before God by fulfilling the law and reject the grace of God.
okay you that have knowledge of the scriptures more than the apotles reply James on James 2:20: faith without works is dead.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 6:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn:
okay you that have knowledge of the scriptures more than the apotles reply James on James 2:20: faith without works is dead.
You are obviously a babe in Christ according to 1pet2:2. So you think works being mentioned in that verse signifies the works of the law. Do me a favour go and read the whole book of James so that you'll get the context in which he said that. Buh if you still don't get it, inform me then I'll explain it to you.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 6:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
You are obviously a babe in Christ according to 1pet2:2. So you think works being mentioned in that verse signifies the works of the law. Do me a favour go and read the whole book of James so that you'll get the context in which he said that. Buh if you still don't get it, inform me then I'll explain it to you.
okay honourable adult in Christ that have knowledge of the scriptures more than the apotles reply James on James 2:20: faith without works is dead.
I'm still waiting...
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 6:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn: okay honourable adult in Christ that have knowledge of the scriptures more than the apotles reply James on James 2:20: faith without works is dead.
I'm still waiting...
Okay works in that verse was talking about showing love to people and helping the poor.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 7:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
fredx4:
Okay works in that verse was talking about showing love to people and helping the poor.

Hehehehehehe!! honourable adult in Christ, I expected you'd do more than that.You sure should know more than babes in Christ.
Anyway to make it simple, works there means works of righteousness which is not limited to "showing love to people & helping the poor".
We have our part to play as christians & God has His own part too.GRACE WHICH IS MISUNDERSTOOD BY NEW GENERATION CHURCHES IS NOT A CONCESSION OR AN ALLOWANCE GOD GIVES US TO GO AHEAD & SIN SINCE WE HAVE A SINFUL NATURE RATHER IT IS THE SUPERNATURAL POWER,ABILITY,STRENGHT,KNOWLEDGE ETC WHICH GOD GIVES US (THROUGH PRAYER,FASTING,FELLOWSHIP,OBEDIENCE ETC) WITH WHICH TO LIVE RIGHTEOUSLY AND LIVE ABOVE SIN.We are required in the new testament to make efforts through grace God bestows on us to live righteously.If you fail to make efforts & hang only on the fact that Christ has done it all for you & you must not "WORK" you'll certainly fall into sin as shown in FAITH IN CHRIST WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD.Further scriptures to support my arguement:-
Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your GOOD WORKS and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Titus 3:8
The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to GOOD WORKS. These things are excellent and profitable for people.
Titus 2:7
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of GOOD WORKS, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,
Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and GOOD WORKS,
Titus 3:1
Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every GOOD WORK,
1 Timothy 6:18
They are to do good, to be rich in GOOD WORKS, to be generous and ready to share,
1 Timothy 5:10
And having a reputation for GOOD WORKS: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every GOOD WORK.
1 Timothy 2:10
But with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with GOOD WORKS.
(ESV version of bible.)

1 Like

Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn:

Hehehehehehe!! honourable adult in Christ, I expected you'd do more than that.You sure should know more than babes in Christ.
Anyway to make it simple, works there means works of righteousness which is not limited to "showing love to people & helping the poor".
We have our part to play as christians & God has His own part too.GRACE WHICH IS MISUNDERSTOOD BY NEW GENERATION CHURCHES IS NOT A CONCESSION OR AN ALLOWANCE GOD GIVES US TO GO AHEAD & SIN SINCE WE HAVE A SINFUL NATURE RATHER IT IS THE SUPERNATURAL POWER,ABILITY,STRENGHT,KNOWLEDGE ETC WHICH GOD GIVES US (THROUGH PRAYER,FASTING,FELLOWSHIP,OBEDIENCE ETC) WITH WHICH TO LIVE RIGHTEOUSLY AND LIVE ABOVE SIN.We are required in the new testament to make efforts through grace God bestows on us to live righteously.If you fail to make efforts & hang only on the fact that Christ has done it all for you & you must not "WORK" you'll certainly fall into sin as shown in FAITH IN CHRIST WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD.Further scriptures to support my arguement:-
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your GOOD WORKS and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to GOOD WORKS. These things are excellent and profitable for people.
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of GOOD WORKS, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,
Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every GOOD WORK,
They are to do good, to be rich in GOOD WORKS, to be generous and ready to share,
And having a reputation for GOOD WORKS: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every GOOD WORK.
(ESV version of bible.)
God bless you sir! This is where the so called Grace teachers are missing the point! Grace always teaches us to say NO to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled,upright and godly lives.( titus 2:11).
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 8:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
Bidam: God bless you sir! This is where the so called Grace teachers are missing the point! Grace always teaches us to say NO to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled,upright and godly lives.( titus 2:11).
Thank God & I also have always known you as a well meaning christian on the forum.Glad to know you are on the right side regarding this "perverted grace madness" on this forum & in churches these last days.

1 Like

Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 9:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
Titus 2:11,12 :- For the GRACE of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men teaching us that denying ungogliness and worldly lusts,WE SHOULD live soberly,RIGHTEOUSLY,and godly in this present world.
End of discussion!!
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
bizmahn:
Thank God & I also have always known you as a well meaning christian on the forum.Glad to know you are on the right side regarding this "perverted grace madness" on this forum & in churches these last days.
Thanks bro..We are still in a race and we ought to pray for ourselves, brother and sisters.Heaven would be incomplete without us and them. Amen.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 12:56am On Dec 09, 2013
Bidam: Thanks bro..We are still in a race and we ought to pray for ourselves, brother and sisters.Heaven would be incomplete without us and them. Amen.
That statement is so deeply touching.Indeed my desire above my deep grieviance of the perverting influence of their errors on the majority is that they repent & make heaven too.I desire to love them deeply but when I see the speed at which multitudes are dragged down by their wrong influence I can't help but grieve.

1 Like

Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 7:09am On Dec 09, 2013
bizmahn: Titus 2:11,12 :- For the GRACE of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men teaching us that denying ungogliness and worldly lusts,WE SHOULD live soberly,RIGHTEOUSLY,and godly in this present world.
End of discussion!!
Let me give you some scriptures that will shed more light on that scripture. Gal5:16 "This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh". Gal 5:5 "For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith'. If you allow the Holy Spirit to perfect his works in your life, the end result will be you living a holy life. The verse you also quoted above said the grace(NOT LAW) of God teacheth us to deny ungodliness and worldly lust. If you submit yourself unto God's righteousness, you'll live a more holy life that someone trying to fulfil the law.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 7:23am On Dec 09, 2013
bizmahn:

(ESV version of bible.)
If you had read the whole chapter like I asked you to then you'd have seen that it was talking about works of love. James2:14-17 "What doth it profit,my brethren, though a man says he hath faith, and have not works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works is dead, being alone". If you still don't get it, then I don't know what else to say.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 7:31am On Dec 09, 2013
bizmahn:

(ESV version of bible.)
Funny enough all those scriptures you quoted are talking about works of love not a single one of them is talking about works of the law, how in the world could you thing otherwise. To avoid further confusion, next time you want to quote a verse to support the law make sure it states clearly 'works of law'. God bless you.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by fredx4(m): 7:46am On Dec 09, 2013
Bidam: God bless you sir! This is where the so called Grace teachers are missing the point! Grace always teaches us to say NO to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled,upright and godly lives.( titus 2:11).
You are right grace teaches you to say no to ungodliness and worldly passions but that doesn't put you under the law. Gal5:17 "but if ye are led of the Spirit ye are not under the law" Romans6:14 "For sin shall not have dominion over you; for ye are not under the law, but under grace" Romans4:4 "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by bizmahn: 8:01am On Dec 09, 2013
bros, at this point I think you are either just pretending not to see the points I clearly made or its just something else.You are the one that tried to show us a grace that appears to function totally at the exclusion of any type of works and a holy ghost that can inhabit people even when they posses sins.
First of all I tried to show you that the Holy Ghost of the bible is "holy" & cannot inhabit a sinful vessel and secondly I tried to expose you to the fact that grace demands works.You called it works of love & helping the needy but I said it goes beyond that and it encompassed all "works of righteousness".
I also tried to make you understand that this works of righteousness which you probably call "works of love" is also contained in the works of the law as moral laws & this moral laws or works of rightousness or works of love was not abolished in the new testament but yet fully enforced.
You presented a grace devoid of any atom of works & efforts to live right as all misguided grace preachers do on this forum but I tried to proove to you that surely God expects us to work with that grace.
If you don't get it now then go back & read the thread all over till you do.I don't think I'll go on repeating myself anymore.

1 Like

Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 09, 2013
fredx4:
You are right grace teaches you to say no to ungodliness and worldly passions but that doesn't put you under the law. Gal5:17 "but if ye are led of the Spirit ye are not under the law" Romans6:14 "For sin shall not have dominion over you; for ye are not under the law, but under grace" Romans4:4 "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness
When you see a scripture that says:Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law Romans 3:31. What Law do you honestly think Paul was advocating grin
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by shdemidemi(m): 8:11am On Dec 09, 2013
Bidam: When you see a scripture that says:Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law Romans 3:31. What Law do you honestly think Paul was advocating grin

Paul was referring to the law of the Spirit of life and not the law that condemns, thus brings death through sin on the offender.

Rom 8v2
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Re: The Many Lies About Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 09, 2013
shdemidemi:

Paul was referring to the law of the Spirit of life and not the law that condemns, thus brings death through sin on the offender.

Rom 8v2
Nope that is false...so many translation renders your statement invalid. LIKE THIS ONE HERE.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Are we abolishing Moses' Teachings by this faith? That's unthinkable! Rather, we are supporting Moses' Teachings. Romans 3:31 grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak @ WLBC Guest House Warri / Gays And Lesbians Are Magnetically Wrong / Bringing Enugu State To The Hill (BESOTH)2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.