Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? (58580 Views)

Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? / Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by ruggedlaw(m): 1:30pm On May 12, 2013
[quote author=kamalahmed]MR. LANDLORD
THANK YOU FOR MAKE THIS MATTER A PUBLIC DEBATE. I DISAGREED AND I AGREED WITH THE COMMENTS OF SOME OF THE EARLIER VIEWER.

FIRST, IT IS YOUR HOUSE ( YOUR PROPERTY) YOU HAVE EVERY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS TO YOUR PROPERTIES. BUT YOU MUST EXERCISE THIS YOUR RIGHTS WITHIN THE LAW, SO THAT YOU WILL NOT BE DEFEATED, ESPECIALLY WHEN DEALING WITH "EDUCATED TENANT".

NOTE: IT IS EASY TO GIVE HOUSE TO TENANT BUT LAW MAKE IT DIFFICULTY AND RIGID TO EVICT A TENANT. THIS IS HUMA all these can only apply in the absence of a written agreement. Mr landlord why not retain a lawyer that will properly advise and subsequently issue the necessary notices?
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 12, 2013
gabbytabby: For the illiterate, literate and educated illiterates - for all persons, the wording of the teancy law is on Nairaland google and read. I cant guarantee that all will understand but if you dont get someone to translate.
‎u sound unnecessarily shrewdgringringrin.Hope ‎u remain at d top of ur game cos pple down the ladder would be glad τ̲̅ȍ help ‎u go down gringringrin.just a theory
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by gabbytabby: 1:43pm On May 12, 2013
nony30: ‎u sound unnecessarily shrewdgringringrin.Hope ‎u remain at d top of ur game cos pple down the ladder would be glad τ̲̅ȍ help ‎u go down gringringrin.just a theory

There are a lot of hanger on and lazy mofos. You just learn to deal with what you get presented with. There are a lot who will drop everything for me. I do value people and will always stand up for injustice. I am firm but fair. Initially I was too softly softly. I actually almost got killed by being too accomodating. I have a better understaning of why things are the way they are and people keep their distance.

My watchword now is take time to study your environment and react quickly.
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 12, 2013
gabbytabby:

There are a lot of hanger on and lazy mofos. You just learn to deal with what you get presented with. There are a lot who will drop everything for me. I do value people and will always stand up for injustice. I am firm but fair. Initially I was too softly softly. I actually almost got killed by being too accomodating. I have a better understaning of why things are the way they are and people keep their distance.

My watchword now is take time to study your environment and react quickly.
Fair enough explanationgrin being too soft is even worse.
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by gabbytabby: 2:08pm On May 12, 2013
nony30: Fair enough explanationgrin being too soft is even worse.

I saw another post of yours talking about it taking 13 years to get rid of a sitting tenant. Unless you are extremely rich and did not need the money then this is totally not the actions of a wiseman in my books.

I for one invest so that I can provide a good foundation for my children and be able to go through old age without much stress and pressure on them. If your actions mean I cannot send my children to the school that I think will improve their life chances or harm them in anyway bet you will have to deal with tiger protecting her young.

Another thing if you have not planned your life then people will come to you and drop their own plan to mess up your life/plan but if you have plans then you know which sacrifices you can/cannot make as something will need to give.

Have a good day.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by whatzbyafria(m): 4:22pm On May 12, 2013
ifeomabernard: PLEASE OH MOD HOW CAN ONE CREATE A NEW TOPIC OHH
PLEASE I'M BEGGING
one way of doing this is to go to the Nairaland homepage and then click on ''culture'' and after doing that, you will see numbers of pages of the topics and then you click on ''create new topic''...dats all cheesy grin cheesy
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by whatzbyafria(m): 4:22pm On May 12, 2013
Johnsonpac: Plz hw can ȋ̝̊̅ creat Å̶̷̩̥͡ new topic?
one way of doing this is to go to the Nairaland homepage and then click on ''culture'' and after doing that, you will see numbers of pages of the topics and then you click on ''create new topic''...dats all cheesy grin cheesy
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by eiete(f): 7:22pm On May 12, 2013
This is the link for LAGOS STATE TENANCE LAW 2011.

[url]http://www.nigeria-law.org/Legislation/Laws%20of%20the%20States/Lagos%20State/Tenancy%20Law%202011..pdf[/url]
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by roselynbas(f): 11:35pm On May 12, 2013
nony30: @edenitis what makes ‎u think trutalk and myself are •̸№t house owners?we don't have τ̲̅ȍ parade our achievements.Some of ‎u small boys who managed τ̲̅ȍ pick up some lucky cash from a lucky deal now want τ̲̅ȍ become millionaires tru collection of rent. •̸№, Į̸̸̨ƭ doesn't work like that.Building a house is like choosing τ̲̅ȍ tie up ur money in an investment that will grow overtime instesd of living Į̸̸̨ƭ in a bank where Į̸̸̨ƭ depriciates.Or haven't ‎u heard of rich men who just put tenants in their houses τ̲̅ȍ avoid decay?@ bigheart,pls act d name and think like a human •̸№t a beast!

bunch of loosers! u are house owners and u can talk like that?
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Kudylata(f): 9:31am On May 13, 2013
shinealight:

Are you sure the Law says without pay? That is the first time I'm hearing such a thing! Is the landlord a philantropist or is he doing charity with the property? For all you know, he could have borrowed money to build or purchase the house and has to pay the mortgage every month as per the Agreement with the Mortgage Lender. If he defaults on the mortgage repayment, his house can be repossessed and he will be the one looking for someone to house him on a charitable basis!

If this truly exists in Nigerian Law, then I consider it unjustifiable sentiment. True, the landlord has to give the tenant appropriate 'notice to quit' but he gives it 6 months or so before the expiration of the period of tenancy which the tenant must have already paid for or is expected to pay for before he can remove his belongings from the property. The notice is to give the tenant adequate time to seek alternative accommodation not to live off the landlord without payment!
yes, the law stipulates:"without pay" so as to make it possible for a tenant to look for another place, with the fund he has, or can lay his hands on, 2. this is to prove that the landlord, is justified if he decides to sue the tenant at the expiration of the written notice.
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by mapet: 11:56am On May 13, 2013
Even though being a Landlord is not rocket science, not exclusive preserve of some and what we desire all man to be, trust me,YOU ARE NOT A LANDLORD.

nony30: @edenitis what makes ‎u think trutalk and myself are •̸№t house owners?we don't have τ̲̅ȍ parade our achievements.Some of ‎u small boys who managed τ̲̅ȍ pick up some lucky cash from a lucky deal now want τ̲̅ȍ become millionaires tru collection of rent. •̸№, Į̸̸̨ƭ doesn't work like that.Building a house is like choosing τ̲̅ȍ tie up ur money in an investment that will grow overtime instesd of living Į̸̸̨ƭ in a bank where Į̸̸̨ƭ depriciates.Or haven't ‎u heard of rich men who just put tenants in their houses τ̲̅ȍ avoid decay?@ bigheart,pls act d name and think like a human •̸№t a beast!

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Edenitis(m): 8:53am On May 14, 2013
saint kash:

u have to go to tribunal n get a quick notice letter from them

if he normally pays one year rent, that means it's a six month notice u'll give him of which he must pay for that period but if u want to be nice with him u can allow him stay without payment.

Ones u have a tribunal paper to evict him legally, there is no problem. So go ahead

Please give me an idea where the nearest tribunal to Ajah/Lekki is.
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Nobody: 9:32am On May 14, 2013
roselynbas:

bunch of loosers! u are house owners and u can talk like that?
1.Go and buy brighter grammar, Ɣ☺ΰя written english is terrible. 2.Money is all vanity if ‎u can't have feelings for the less privileged! And finally,•̸№t every landlord is a mean mudafking S.O.B! gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Nobody: 9:33am On May 14, 2013
mapet: Even though being a Landlord is not rocket science, not exclusive preserve of some and what we desire all man to be, trust me,YOU ARE NOT A LANDLORD.

Freedom of expression well utilized. gringringrin

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Nobody: 9:38am On May 14, 2013
gabbytabby:

I saw another post of yours talking about it taking 13 years to get rid of a sitting tenant. Unless you are extremely rich and did not need the money then this is totally not the actions of a wiseman in my books.

I for one invest so that I can provide a good foundation for my children and be able to go through old age without much stress and pressure on them. If your actions mean I cannot send my children to the school that I think will improve their life chances or harm them in anyway bet you will have to deal with tiger protecting her young.

Another thing if you have not planned your life then people will come to you and drop their own plan to mess up your life/plan but if you have plans then you know which sacrifices you can/cannot make as something will need to give.

Have a good day.
Nope! Can't even be called rich,but extremely soft τ̲̅ȍ a fault for the problems of others.Actually the 13 years started counting from when my Pop was alive.Thanks anyway for the futuristic elevation of status.grin

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by se7en7: 2:58am On Jul 25, 2013
kuddylata, pls stop misleading nairalanders. U must be referring to Kuddylata tenancy law. U definitely have to pay for time spent under the lagos state tenancy law.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Edenitis(m): 1:49am On Jul 28, 2013
Nony30 you sound confident, brash and rude. You are talking like a Mr. Know-it-all. Sorry for you.
You asked a gentleman to go get brighter grammer. Brighter Grammer did not teach you the difference between 'living' and 'leaving'
Be that as it may.
Being a landlord is primarily a gift from God. Some can be but have chosen not to be because of bad tenants. A friend of mine sold off his house in Warri way back in 1993 because of one such tenant. Today, given the experience I have had with tenants, I wish I agreed with my friend then.
However, the vast majority of tenants are good and some of them assuage the stress and frustrations emanating from the activities of wicked tenants.
For your information, a tenant just sneaked out of my house with 18 months rent while I have been spending the last three months trying to get the Lagos State justice system to evict him and recover my unpaid rent. I already paid my lawyer first week of May to do the job and the guy sneaked out last week while the justice system was still figuring out how to summon him to court.
The law says you are to wait for a full year of default by a tenant before you seek to eject him. When it was six months I sought to enforce my right to get paid by going to the Citizens Mediation Centre at Onikan. He failed to come along and so that process stalled. This man bought an ML350, was running a nuisance of a generator virtually 24/7, brought in strings of girlfriends, but would not pay rent of N280k for the studio flat he was staying in. By the way, he bought a plot and was building.
Do not let me bore you with more details. There are many more who have treated me badly on this tenancy matter, including a nollywood actress.
I divulge all of this because some presumptious individuals on this thread think it is beastly for one to take precautions to secure oneself from bad or rather wicked tenants.
Take it from me, the vast majority of tenants are good; but one bad tenant can make all the difference.
I have a lot of respect for Fashola. He has done wonderfully well for Lagos. More so for the rich than for the poor whom he has treated rather heartlessly. The tenancy law seems to have been a compensation for the poor as it is skewed recklessly in favour of the tenants. I hope it will be amended soon to give succor to embattled landlords like me. In the alternative, they should build mass houses that are affordable and available to low income earners.
What I would advise genuine landlords on this thread is to ensure their prospective tenants have verifiable source of income, preferably with formal organisations and that they are backed up by solid guarantors. In this new dispensation where rent is payable 6 monthly, remember to give three months notice to terminate with the end of the period rent was paid for. Have a good lawyer who feels your pains and not just your pocket. Above all, pray that God will not let a bad tenant come your way.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by terrysilver: 11:42pm On Oct 03, 2013
l've been renting in this two rooms in kaduna for the period of abt six years and neva had problem wit anybody nt even d landlord. My rent expired by August ending. D landlord came l complained to him to give up september ending because l was having some financial chalanges. By september 30th, l called to come 4 d money bt he didnt come. On 03/10/2013 l called again when he came, l gave him d money, he refused to collect only to serve me with notice dat l shld vacate d rooms bwin now and d 15th October 2013 or he take me to court. I also dnt have the intention of staying as well in the house again. I only need time to look for another place to move in. Pls l need ur advise
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Edenitis(m): 3:45am On Oct 04, 2013
My friend. I sympathise with you. This one is a hard landlord, I must say.
Did you have an agreement with him? Usually if you default by 21 days, he has the right to demand his property back; but 2 weeks notice!
Too harsh in this circumstance, I must say.
If you can afford to move now, move.
It is not pleasant to have a brush with your landlord.
If you are a yearly tenant, you have a right to six months notice during which you should pay.
Court processes take time but I do not expect them to delay as much as they do in Lagos.
Some landlords do extra judicial things. So you may be in for a hard time.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by gabbytabby: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
Edenitis: Nony30 you sound confident, brash and rude. You are talking like a Mr. Know-it-all. Sorry for you.
You asked a gentleman to go get brighter grammer. Brighter Grammer did not teach you the difference between 'living' and 'leaving'
Be that as it may.
Being a landlord is primarily a gift from God. Some can be but have chosen not to be because of bad tenants. A friend of mine sold off his house in Warri way back in 1993 because of one such tenant. Today, given the experience I have had with tenants, I wish I agreed with my friend then.
However, the vast majority of tenants are good and some of them assuage the stress and frustrations emanating from the activities of wicked tenants.
For your information, a tenant just sneaked out of my house with 18 months rent while I have been spending the last three months trying to get the Lagos State justice system to evict him and recover my unpaid rent. I already paid my lawyer first week of May to do the job and the guy sneaked out last week while the justice system was still figuring out how to summon him to court.
The law says you are to wait for a full year of default by a tenant before you seek to eject him. When it was six months I sought to enforce my right to get paid by going to the Citizens Mediation Centre at Onikan. He failed to come along and so that process stalled. This man bought an ML350, was running a nuisance of a generator virtually 24/7, brought in strings of girlfriends, but would not pay rent of N280k for the studio flat he was staying in. By the way, he bought a plot and was building.
Do not let me bore you with more details. There are many more who have treated me badly on this tenancy matter, including a nollywood actress.
I divulge all of this because some presumptious individuals on this thread think it is beastly for one to take precautions to secure oneself from bad or rather wicked tenants.
Take it from me, the vast majority of tenants are good; but one bad tenant can make all the difference.
I have a lot of respect for Fashola. He has done wonderfully well for Lagos. More so for the rich than for the poor whom he has treated rather heartlessly. The tenancy law seems to have been a compensation for the poor as it is skewed recklessly in favour of the tenants. I hope it will be amended soon to give succor to embattled landlords like me. In the alternative, they should build mass houses that are affordable and available to low income earners.
What I would advise genuine landlords on this thread is to ensure their prospective tenants have verifiable source of income, preferably with formal organisations and that they are backed up by solid guarantors. In this new dispensation where rent is payable 6 monthly, remember to give three months notice to terminate with the end of the period rent was paid for. Have a good lawyer who feels your pains and not just your pocket. Above all, pray that God will not let a bad tenant come your way.

In Nigeria you always have to be smart when you give work to people to do for you. Most want to take your money and do nothing. If I think someone is stalling I will seek advice from friends who are in the profession about the process and make sure you let the person know you are aware of the process and you are asking why things are not moving in your case. I also requested to see copies of papers filed and if I start to get really pissed I will go to the court to make my own enquiries.

My dad had a lawyer who took him for a ride until I got involved and at that time I was just in the UNI.

You should draft a solid agreement which allows you to go to court asap usually 21 days.

But like you said, the best situation is to do all your checks and pray not to let to a bad tenant
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 15, 2014
Please, how do I get a copy of the Nigerian Tenancy Law? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by Mimicole(f): 1:43pm On Jan 12, 2015

I tink it wud be helpful if d court awards damages in monetary term to d landlord whenever a tenant fails to vacate and d landlord is forced to institute a court action against d tenant. I tink dat wud be fair given that d tenant wud make d landlord spend moni in getting a lawyer, incidental costs in pursuing d case, stress d landlord passes tru in pursuing d case thereby denying d landlord peace of mind, etc. And I think dat will also help nip in d bud dis disgusting attitude of tenants deliberately not wanting to leave because dey know how frustrating d whole court process wud be. If a tenant knows he/she will pay for his/her own lawyer, pass tru stress and still end up vacating, plus paying all accumulated house rent as well as damages in monetary terms to d landlord, he/she wud rather vacate as at wen due. *just my thoughts*
That's usually the case. But note that the courts will only award such costs if the landlord expressly asks for it.
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by harbii(m): 1:13pm On Nov 06, 2015
[color=#000099][/color] pls i nid urgent reply.
I am a student & i nid to extend my house rent(whch is 18,000 :1,500 per month),so i told him i only hav 14,000 @ present,dat wen dey send me money 4rum hme i will balance him,so he told me to hold it till itz complete(dat happend last week-end),infact i dey find means 2 get d remainn 4k dis week ni gan sef. naxo he jst send his wife 2 me dis mawn(friday 6/11/2015) dat d house is now 24,000 sef(i.e it has increased to 2k per mnt) & if i dn't pay it b4 monday 9/11/2015 ,i must pack my properties out of d house.
Pls what should i do?
Is dat how to increase house rent rate?
what if i can't get him d remainn 4k to complete d 18,000,does he av d right of evictn me
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by finestpicks(m): 6:06am On Dec 19, 2015
harbii:
[color=#000099][/color] pls i nid urgent reply.
I am a student & i nid to extend my house rent(whch is 18,000 :1,500 per month),so i told him i only hav 14,000 @ present,dat wen dey send me money 4rum hme i will balance him,so he told me to hold it till itz complete(dat happend last week-end),infact i dey find means 2 get d remainn 4k dis week ni gan sef. naxo he jst send his wife 2 me dis mawn(friday 6/11/2015) dat d house is now 24,000 sef(i.e it has increased to 2k per mnt) & if i dn't pay it b4 monday 9/11/2015 ,i must pack my properties out of d house.
Pls what should i do?
Is dat how to increase house rent rate?
what if i can't get him d remainn 4k to complete d 18,000,does he av d right of evictn me

where do u stay sir..lagos?
Re: The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? by chinnoye: 9:30am On Mar 17, 2016
Good day Friends,

I want to find out if i can stamp an agreement of land sells in court that was prepared by a non lawyer and signed by all the parties and witness involved, If yes what is the cost of stamping in the court.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inside Late Mai Deribe's Gold Marble House In Maiduguri, Borno state Nigeria. / Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar / Meet Said Jammal, The Owner Of The Aeroplane House In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.