Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,796 members, 7,956,038 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:04 PM

Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? (11699 Views)

It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah. / Blind Man, 71, Slaps Pregnant Daughter-in-law Over Meal / High Increase In Divorce Rate In Our Society: Women The Cause, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by harlos: 2:03pm On Jan 19, 2013
I use to say it when i was in primary school nd even in secondary school, that was to my guidian then, but now i eat mostly outside so everything don go commot as i no go fit tell the food seller thank you cos na money i go pay.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by kennz(f): 2:21pm On Jan 19, 2013
To me ì dnt tink its bad for a child to aprc8 hs/ha parents efort in providin meals. i tel my hubby tank u afta meal,my son say d same as well. its jst curtsey nd a way of shwin aprciation.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by specialguest(f): 2:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
Unlike everyone here who says Thank you all the time, i rarely say thank you after a meal at home and that' s because i do most of the cooking. However when i am served food outside my house by default i always say thank you before and after the meal.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by 2n2k(m): 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
It was actually a sort of culture shock to me at the early stage of my marriage. Being yoruba married to an igbo. My inlaws were like "thank you ogor" even if they breath air in my house. I was brought up to thank the person who eat in my house not the other way round. Even then, it will not be specifically for eating but for coming around to visit.

My wife initially took offence anytime I chop clean mouth without aftermeal 'thank you' but as time went by, she got used to it. Nowadays, my inlaws have learnt to keep their 'thank you after every meal' at home when they come visiting because they know I will not respond
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Friedrich080(m): 2:39pm On Jan 19, 2013
2go Night party ....... April 13 at 4:00pm until April 14 at 7:00am in UTC+01 Funfield Plaza, Osogbo, Osun State Meet 9ija Celeb.... Red Carpet Paparazzi Meet 2go Friends free Gifts and more.... Gate Fee: 2go Shirt... 2go Shirt Polo and Tees will cost you @ N2500 and N3000 respectively For More Information Call: Harbey-08032530846 Atapo-08065370367 Mahjid-07037438576 zodeeq-08068553565
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Syncan(m): 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2013
Not everything done while growing up in our part of the world is a cliche because of it's absence in modern western cultures. Some practices in our climes are really worth emulating. Such practice as the one mentioned are what make foreigners use the word "warm" when talking about us. This is a practice that does more good than harm, so why should we allow it to die. I think it is still relevant to show a verbal appreciation even if as an encouragement for someone carrying out his/her responsibility.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by uniquepb(f): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
A customer came to pay in bulk cash, and while counting his money he excused himself to quickly eat his food which he brought and bought with his money, to my surprise when he came back he said thank you to me and I asked him for what, he said that is dere culture. That when they finish eating they must say thank you to elders around the place to show a sign of respect even if they aren't d one that gave you the food. #wat a good gesture#
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by baby124: 3:40pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ok, so where do I start from with all the mosquito's that insulted me for my comment? E no go better for all of you, hungry church rats. State what you do at home, and how your parents expect you to say thank you, for feeding you abeg. I can never ask my kids to behave that way towards me. For what? Which kind of funny environment is that. Like Gambrosia said, too local. grin
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by SugaryBelle(f): 4:02pm On Jan 19, 2013
I think is relevant cos its a sign of appreciation,my 16 year old cousin says thank you to my parents and evryone else after evry meal even when she is the one that prepared and served the food,i feel so ashamed when she does that cos i neva say thank you to my parents after eating.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 19, 2013
Yeah, I say thank you to any other person that offers me food other than my parents or siblings.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by omorsexie(f): 4:41pm On Jan 19, 2013
Chuck D:

teletubies in the house. so what is it now? "Jesus add more fish, Satan Sidon look"?
na u sabi o papa ajasco
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by odohemma(m): 5:03pm On Jan 19, 2013
layorhaja: I say thank you to my wife after after a meal. It is not easy for a woman to come back from work and go straight into the kitchen and cook. It is a way of being grateful. grin. Even though i give her the morning to cook the food.

You gave her the morning to cook: You be God? Na you dey give her afternoon?
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by elveco: 5:16pm On Jan 19, 2013
D deepest principle in human nature is the crave to be appreciated. No matter hw little d deed, it calls fr appreciaxn
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by nuges1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 19, 2013
I think saying thank you after eating has to do with your culture,been a yoruba guy,it's not part of our culture but I realised that in d east were I finished studying,I found out that it's an in thing there,so when ever I am around them when I finish eating I will say thank u,I got so used to it that when I went back home I started saying tank you to my mum after eating,one day my father called me and asked me why I always say thank you after a meal and that it's not part of our culture,he also said that it's there responsibility as parents to feed us,I simply told him that it's becos of my schooling in d east.

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123: Ok, so where do I start from with all the mosquito's that insulted me for my comment? E no go better for all of you, hungry church rats. State what you do at home, and how your parents expect you to say thank you, for feeding you abeg. I can never ask my kids to behave that way towards me. For what? Which kind of funny environment is that. Like Gambrosia said, too local. grin

Iseeeee cheesy cheesy cheesy

Cheers ( I'll drink to that cool) ..... hummmm .... Everybody's vibin' so don't nobody start a fight, yeah cheesy
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123: Ok, so where do I start from with all the mosquito's that insulted me for my comment? E no go better for all of you, hungry church rats. State what you do at home, and how your parents expect you to say thank you, for feeding you abeg. I can never ask my kids to behave that way towards me. For what? Which kind of funny environment is that. Like Gambrosia said, too local. grin

As your I.D suggests, you be real baby! Kindly move to the kid's section.

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by harlos: 6:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
Julieccentric:

As your I.D suggests, you be real baby! Kindly move to the kid's section.
kid section dey
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
harlos: kid section dey

U no know? U fit join am too
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by jayedu108: 7:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
Please guy tank u is a mata of choice and not by force it comes the heart if you feel the urge to say it then say it and not to say it because orda pple say it as well or the society appreciate that as well.abeg oh nah by force!
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by jayedu108: 7:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
Please guy tank u is a mata of choice and not by force if it comes the heart if you feel the urge to say it then say it and not to say it because orda pple say it as well or the society appreciate that as well.abeg oh nah by force!
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by jayedu108: 7:11pm On Jan 19, 2013
Please guy tank u is a mata of choice and not by force if it comes from the heart and if you feel the urge to say it then say it and not to say it because orda pple say it as well or the society appreciate that as well.abeg oh nah by force!
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by 3kay945(m): 8:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
evantical: when we were growing up, saying thank you after each meal to our parents or any elderly person around was the norm,even if they are in in another room,you must walk in any say thank you. Wives do greet their hubands as well. Bt lately I have noticed that all these are being eroded in our own time. Is it tha it is an old fashion or people lacking home training?

Thank you for this thread,
Do you know that I got to know that " saying thank you after meal" exists not until last year when my niece came visiting?
The first time she said it after eating I asked her what the thanking was for.
I laughed when she said for the food. Well its just a fashion enforce on some children which lacks genuity. This girl in matter was sent packing after few weeks for her rudeness and bad behaviour, though she didn't fail in the thank you aspects.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by odogift(f): 8:37pm On Jan 19, 2013
It is very necessary cos even d western people we claimed we are copying do say 'thanks' or 'nice meal'. Saying thank u to ur provider after each meal wil nt make u shorter than u are. It's just simple courtesy!
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 19, 2013
I think it's part of the ibo culture (Which i kind of appreciate). My uncle's wife came for holiday in our house in 2011, after every meal, she keep saying "Thank You" My mum was like "What does the Thank You signify? It's my obligation to feed you, girl" But she did not stop saying it....

Am trying to develop that habit too, am getting there.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Majoo: 9:11pm On Jan 19, 2013
You place nice topic on board well in our family. Everybody say so from the youngest to the mum and to dad finally to God any time we eat anything both at home or outside we make it our culture now it our saying sincerely not for saying sake but we teach our children the meaning
ferhyntorlah:

Sorry Mr Layorhaja, you mistakenly typed morning for money.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

Sorry Mr Layorhaja, you mistakenly typed morning for money.

( couldn't find your original post so I copied and pasted ^^^.... I guess guru thingy knows )

What's with the sorry tho ? You just called out his typo error like some major blunder he made on purpose and you are sorry? Like seriously fehintola?....mrs teacher Fehin okon !! you crack me up.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by harlos: 10:48pm On Jan 19, 2013
Julieccentric:

U no know? U fit join am too
show me the way pls... But first am i going to write application letter, cos
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by sunnyt1(m): 8:25am On Jan 20, 2013
Well, its totally wrong to think everyone must subscribe to ur ideologies and opinions, everyone is entitled to his.
its also gud to understand that we had different backgrounds and we tend to act on d basis of wat our background gave to us.
For me, i dnt see any reason why i shd say thank you after a meal. However, i dnt think its wrong, the purpose is to inculcate a heart of gratitude from childhood.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Solozzo(m): 5:39am On Jan 21, 2013
In my culture, Isoko, we say thanks to parents or elders as we start to eat but may not bother after the meal is over. Personally i find its unnecessary and obsequious. Parents job is to provide meals for their children, as they had caused them to come to this world as a result of their pleasure-seeking sexual appetites.

It makes sense to say thanks when given a gift but not for regular meals or to elders who did not even give you the meal. It's just an ancient tradition that no one has questioned it's veracity.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by navygrl: 7:57am On Jan 21, 2013
Thank you to whom ever cooked/served the meal? That is basic manners. Thank you to any and every elder in the general vicinity? That's over kill
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:49am On Jan 21, 2013
harlos: I use to say it when i was in primary school nd even in secondary school, that was to my guidian then, but now i eat mostly outside so everything don go commot as i no go fit tell the food seller thank you cos na money i go pay.

It doesn't mean. Yes! you paid for the food but there's nothing wrong in thanking her for the service she rendered to you. The koko be say, let's appreciate people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Barely And Neatly Used Uk Baby Things. / Halle Berry - Diva Or Harridan? / Who Is The True Elder Between The Twin Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.