Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,814 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? (11470 Views)

It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah. / Blind Man, 71, Slaps Pregnant Daughter-in-law Over Meal / High Increase In Divorce Rate In Our Society: Women The Cause, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123:

you mean after every meal you say thank you to your parents? Wow, where did they pick you from. Are they doing you a favor by feeding you or it is their responsibility as parents. I will chop clean mouth, even thief extra meat and drop the plate anywhere before running out to play ([size=4pt]this was before 12[/size]). You try sha.
You are a mad man o

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 19, 2013
I think saying "Thank you" to your elders after a meal should still be relevant in our society. It instilled a sense of humility and discipline in me. Its just like when i had to finish my food before I start eating my meat or chicken. Till today I dont start eating my protein until am at least halfway thru my food. grin. My children most learn to say it after every meal or anything that enters their mouth or even any act of kindness or generosity. Another word that must be my kids friend is "PLEASE" My mother slapped it into me and am ready to share that kind training with my kids.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by mcevans1(m): 11:06am On Jan 19, 2013
[quote author=Julieccentric]Hmmn..its funny how values passed by parents sticks. Till now I still say that you to my parents even though I cooked the food.

Unconsciously I say thank you to even the food vendor and to bus conductors after I get my balance or after I am served. It's part of me and I don't intend to stop.[/quote

I do the same thing too. I say "thank you" to food vendors and bus conductors after I get my balance.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by dedtroy(m): 11:10am On Jan 19, 2013
byvan: My hubby say thanks to me after each meal,since we got married till date.it seems relevant to him,but whether it is relevant to the society?that I cannot tell.
that's romantic
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 19, 2013
DJDOLA: thank for wat?because my parent give me food the next thing for me is 2 tell them thank u....mtchewwwwww...they should starve me na...and see who go sleep for that house...i go scarter everywere
They say that the madness that will finally kill a man starts as an appetizer.Stupidity is •̸№t a virtue.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by DJDOLA(m): 11:17am On Jan 19, 2013
nony30: They say that the madness that will finally kill a man starts as an appetizer.Stupidity is •̸№t a virtue.
how do u mean?why are u abusing ur self na...u are madt for wat...pele oooo

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by hazelle: 11:18am On Jan 19, 2013
I still thank my parents after every meal...and sometimes, I walk to their room to thank them. I grew up doing that and I still practice it. And even when I go to people's homes and they offer me anything, I tell them "thank you". It's a sign of good upbringing and appreciation. It's not your right to be offered something by them so you gotta appreciate it.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by colombiana: 11:20am On Jan 19, 2013
DJDOLA: thank for wat?because my parent give me food the next thing for me is 2 tell them thank u....mtchewwwwww...they should starve me na...and see who go sleep for that house...i go scarter everywere
Typical lagosian. Mtcewwww hw u learn wen na iya kafila, and iya toyin una parents take bring una up lazy ple mtchewwwww
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 19, 2013
My fiancee says thank you after every meal to me,even if we eat at her place,it makes my head big,no wonder,I can give her anything she demands. Right now......am eating with her at her place.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by koolg: 11:23am On Jan 19, 2013
ferhyntorlah: For me, it is relevant. I am a saying thank you freak! Any little thing someone does for me, I say thank you. It might be very insignificant to the doer but to me, it's a big deal.

I used to say thank you to momsy after eating when I was much younger but I think with time, I lost it but later regained it when I paid a visit to my uncle few years back.

My aunt prepared lunch for us all and I observed that my cousin said "thank you mummy" after he finished his food. I instantly copied him and said the same to her.

To me, saying thank you to someone who prepared a meal is a way of showing appreciation. It means one is acknowledging the time, strength and resources consumed in making the meal.

Do you know how it feels to cook like 3/4 dishes and the heat emanating altogether is tiring, weakening and killing? Saying thank you to someone who just encountered this scenario goes a very long and deep way oh.

We all need to be appreciated. I grew up in an environment of appreciation so I exhibit it anywhere I go.

For those who cook for extremely large families, I'm sure you all know what saying thank you during/after a meal does for you.

For husbands who don't say such to their wives, please I implore you, try to imbibe this habit. There's no harm in trying.

Off Topic: To the engineers, architects and safety conscious individuals, please why is a ceiling fan/wall fan not installed in the kitchen? Thanks!

Take your standing fan to your kitchen to off the fire
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by colombiana: 11:24am On Jan 19, 2013
nony30: They say that the madness that will finally kill a man starts as an appetizer.Stupidity is •̸№t a virtue.
U dey mind dat untamed gorilla I nor blame am na iya kafila and iya bola food e mama take raise am. Baboon.if u hear e talk na u go tink say na boti. Rubbish street kpakororo pikin mtchewww
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Namiad(m): 11:34am On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123:

you mean after every meal you say thank you to your parents? Wow, where did they pick you from. Are they doing you a favor by feeding you or it is their responsibility as parents. I will chop clean mouth, even thief extra meat and drop the plate anywhere before running out to play ([size=4pt]this was before 12[/size]). You try sha.
whr were u pickd frm..u werent well taught..u see it as der responsibility?wht if d dont,wil u KILL them?..if u read wht i said well u'll undastnd y u hv to nd oda stusfs..eva paid a taxi man nd u stil say thank u...it shows ur responsibl nd grateful
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by caesaraba(m): 11:34am On Jan 19, 2013
colombiana:
Typical lagosian. Mtcewwww hw u learn wen na iya kafila, and iya toyin una parents take bring una up lazy ple mtchewwwww

ROTFWL! Default thinking is "the solution to everything is gra-gra."

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ignis: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2013
I only say thank you to my mum after meal and that's if we to cross by chance few minutes after I eat.
But I make sure I say thank you after meal if am a visitor another house.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Enoquin(f): 11:56am On Jan 19, 2013
"Please" and "Thank you"...two magic words. I use it a lot. Whenever, I am in Lagos; I greet my parents after each meal, my parents greet me in return for cooking the meal.

Same thing in Uyo, I greet my younger sister for cooking and serving me and she in turn thanks me (I guess for providing the money). I thank my sister when I send her to the market to get foodstuffs for the house.

My boyfriend thanks me after he eats my meal and I thank him in return

I thank my younger ones with a smile when they do things for me, say please before sending them on errands...it makes them eager to do my bidding even if it inconveniences them a bit.

I thank my family friend's daughter who is 8, when she takes my bag from me whenever I go to their place or asks me how I am or helps me out in little tasks...she is always eager to do more..."Aunty Eno, let me help you", she'd say bouncing up and down in front of me.

Thank you said softly is simply uplifting. It uplifts both parties
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by jutino(f): 12:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
I can c u gat no home training at all u better learn with ur dull brain to b appreciative of anytin given to u or else he go hard u gan..mtchewwwwwwww
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Sweetapple007(f): 12:06pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ofcourse it is a sign of respect, first u thank God who is the provider of food to the family, secondly u thank ur parent or whosoever see's that the food has entered ur stomach.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by 401kk: 12:08pm On Jan 19, 2013
J12: I stopped saying thank you to my parents after I had a problem with them when I was a teenager. Although I still say thanks when I eat in homes I'm visiting.

You don't give thanks to your parents but you give to strangers.
@OP
I give thanks, it an an honor and respect stuff.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by swtcharissa(f): 12:13pm On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123:

where exactly r ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ from, ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ should b ashamed of ur comment,it might b their responsiblity T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ give ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ food,but not all parent can give their kids food,dats y some r sent T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ do house gal jobs or menial jobs,whether or not,now they r able T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ give ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ n a common thank ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ is difficult for ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ say,...am sure ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ r not even married yet,when ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ begin T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ have kids,teach dem dat even when cloths or stuffs r given dem,dey shud nt say thank ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊,... ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ will reap wat ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ dam sow
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
ferhyntorlah: For me, it is relevant. I am a saying thank you freak! Any little thing someone does for me, I say thank you. It might be very insignificant to the doer but to me, it's a big deal.

I used to say thank you to momsy after eating when I was much younger but I think with time, I lost it but later regained it when I paid a visit to my uncle few years back.

My aunt prepared lunch for us all and I observed that my cousin said "thank you mummy" after he finished his food. I instantly copied him and said the same to her.

To me, saying thank you to someone who prepared a meal is a way of showing appreciation. It means one is acknowledging the time, strength and resources consumed in making the meal.

Do you know how it feels to cook like 3/4 dishes and the heat emanating altogether is tiring, weakening and killing? Saying thank you to someone who just encountered this scenario goes a very long and deep way oh.

We all need to be appreciated. I grew up in an environment of appreciation so I exhibit it anywhere I go.

For those who cook for extremely large families, I'm sure you all know what saying thank you during/after a meal does for you.

For husbands who don't say such to their wives, please I implore you, try to imbibe this habit. There's no harm in trying.

Off Topic: To the engineers, architects and safety conscious individuals, please why is a ceiling fan/wall fan not installed in the kitchen? Thanks!
you've said it all
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
That is very interesting! grin cheesy. Let me make a try by saying thank you after eating. 'Thank you Sir for the food but my stomach aches a bit.'

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by UNLEASHED(m): 12:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
It's compulsory I must be fed so there's no point saying "thank you"
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Konnektions146(m): 12:40pm On Jan 19, 2013
I get dis on grade 1, i say "please" and "thank you", i say it to everyone dat does somethin,
Recharge card vendor
subordinates at work
younger ones
older ones
bosses

etc

it helps changes situations,
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by pato405(m): 12:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
saying 'thanks' is courtesy ! sometimes, I'm tempted to think it's a trait, at other times it appears as if it's learned. imagine a poster here posted comments about a 6yr old saying thanks for everything, even when there's no need. some adults find it difficult saying thanks. it gets me irate. I sometimes consider it as a litmus test particularly when starting friendship. if I observe such courtesies are not given their due place, I'll simply withdraw.

we were brought up with it, and till date, still observe it not only to family members but also to friends & others. another word is 'please'. without it, the sentence seems to look like a command. undecided
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by omorsexie(f): 12:55pm On Jan 19, 2013
Then, it used to be "Jesus come n eat,satan go away- b4 meal, thank U Jesus, thank u mummy - after meal. Even if mum wasnt eating wt us.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by swtcharissa(f): 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
Greeting is very important,appreciation dey say is an application for more,if ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ can't greet ur parents for food,cos its their responsibility I dnt see hw ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ can say 'God thank ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ for waking me up every mrg',cos T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ its his responsibility also...for the records,my husband said d first tin that attracted him T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ me first was d way he saw he greeting n appreciating someone...
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ChuckD2(m): 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
BUSH!!!!
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by nikky5(m): 1:29pm On Jan 19, 2013
Its a norm in my house as of today dat am still living.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Artistree: 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2013
PLEASE & THANK YOU are two words that are capable of melting the hardest of hearts. I was raised to say thank you to any1 who does the smallest task for me. Inshort, saying thank you to my parents after a meal is non-negotiable as my mum would THANK YOU first should you dare 4get to say it.
Over time it became so much a part of me that I say thank you 2 d nearest available older person around me after a meal. And like the OP rightly said, it could be highly demoralizing 2 if u were the cook.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by horpe132(m): 1:37pm On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123:

[color=#000099][/color]

O*d*e....See az dis 1 dey "form"for here.....Is it noh ur right to av constant power supply or iz ur wrong noh 2 av good roads leading to dah ur uncompleted mansion..So why u dey alwayz shout"up Nepa"when power comes ......Rights or left.....We need 2 appreciate people for what ever dey do 4u........

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ChuckD2(m): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2013

You wrote a good comment and spoilt it at the end. It's "safety consciousness" that prevents the installation of ceiling fans or the likes in a kitchen; or don't you have wall cabinets in your own? Try reaching them with the ceiling fan on. Abi you like a situation where your fan will spread the heat, steam, smoke, whatever to every part of the house - especially livingroom? imagine my inlaw wey sabi fry pepper every time. But you can have smoke and steam expellers installed over your cooker or on the wall it all depends on the home owner.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ChuckD2(m): 1:55pm On Jan 19, 2013
omorsexie: Then, it used to be "Jesus come n eat,satan go away- b4 meal, thank U Jesus, thank u mummy - after meal. Even if mum wasnt eating wt us.

teletubies in the house. so what is it now? "Jesus add more fish, Satan Sidon look"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Letter Written To My Rapist 29 Years After / Which Washing Machine Should I Go For Budget Of 45 - 55k / Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.