Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

The Book Discussion Club (africa) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book Discussion Club (africa) (6589 Views)

Stories For The Book Discussion Club (africa) / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / The Book Of Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:13pm On Feb 02, 2013
breathing:

How does moving to the next story change the fact that you hate how its being done. I like the fact that you don't wanna be limited by reading guides. I'd thought it would make it easier. Maybe I should mention that the participants shouldn't feel hindered by the reading guide, if you want to use it, fine, if you don't, give your impression of the story however you want it. I'd post the next story tomorrow. I'm tempted to ask why you hate that she wrote in the second person sing

I asked if we could move to the next story because Iam trying to get a better picture of the author that's all. Things around your neck didn't make sense to me at all. Like Uj said there is something amiss in the story, something that makes it not befitting in away.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by breathing(f): 5:07pm On Feb 02, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:

I asked if we could move to the next story because Iam trying to get a better picture of the author that's all. Things around your neck didn't make sense to me at all. Like Uj said there is something amiss in the story, something that makes it not befitting in away.

I've posted the second story My mother the crazy African by Chimamanda Adichie at https://www.nairaland.com/1172162/stories-book-discussion-club-africa#up, everyone pls go read and come back to make your contributions here.

I searched for 'the arrangers of marriage' the one Uj suggested but haven't found it online yet.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2013
breathing:

I've posted the second story My mother the crazy African by Chimamanda Adichie at https://www.nairaland.com/1172162/stories-book-discussion-club-africa#up, everyone pls go read and come back to make your contributions here.

you are doing a great job here,breathing.Thanks for making this easy for all of us.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by breathing(f): 8:28pm On Feb 02, 2013
D-deola:

you are doing a great job here,breathing.Thanks for making this easy for all of us.

cheesy
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 9:21pm On Feb 02, 2013
My Mother and the Crazy African seems like one of Adichie's short stories. However, it's really an interesting read. Funny, rich and deep.

Mrs. Eze seems very much like a typical African woman who wakes up one morning and finds herself in the Western world. She is a woman who places much respect to her heritage. Imagine her turning American recipes into African cuisines...Now that's what I call being African. She imposes respect on younger lads and subjects her children to speak the Igbo language of Nigeria.

'In America, every Nigerian is a brother...'
That is another wonderful narration I like about the review.

The romance too, impressive. LOL! Matt's hand being busy under Lin's dress. Wow! I can't even unhook a bra with one hand. Oh my! Is Lin lactating already? grin

Now, this is what I don't like about Mrs. Eze. She's too strict. shocked She nearly poured pepper in Lin's...

I can't blame the poor girl for losing control of her bowel over that threat.

And, it really appears like Matt is a complete jack*ss.

Nice...nice indeed! Lol!

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:44pm On Feb 03, 2013
This is something I can relate to, Lin's mother is right on point. Most people forget whothey really are when they go abroad.

We forget our culture, our lives are transformed by other tribes. For instance in south Africa Zulu's are the most influential people to ever grace the shores of that country. They don't speak english that much, not that they don't know it but because they honor their language.

Back to the book, Lin too is just under peer pressure because a grown up would never try to act american to please a man. In the 'things around your neck' the lady was very cautious of how people treat her, how her boyfriend treated her and how she valued her own Nationality.

I have heard how one can let her/his name define them or define the name, Lin found her full name embrassing because of the change, because of the people she was around though her mother tried to raise her in a perfect African way.

That boy Matt was just a 'No' the moment I came across the like where Lin said he liked the siver in his ears like really? Then he unhooked her bra with one hand She let him do that With her mother in the house

What a nerve...bbl
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
Hmmm...interesting read.

I like her use of simple english,with that one can guess the age lin or rather Ralindu...lol
I like mrs eze's attitude buh i think she's too stereotyped.
Lin is trapped between two cultures,confused and feels inferior.
Matt? The dude is damn a player!!!
And the lil romance... Amanda is always good at it. I can still recall from purple hibiscus, and she describes it in such a spoilt way that.... lipsrsealed lol

@Humble
I don't think that was about nerve. she seems was too weak and inferior to say no to matt.
To me,the story is about the influence of foreign cultures on the young africans.
I have an art work on that. I called it 'the influence'
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
centje: Hmmm...interesting read.

I like her use of simple english,with that one can guess the age lin or rather Ralindu...lol
I like mrs eze's attitude buh i think she's too stereotyped.
Lin is trapped between two cultures,confused and feels inferior.
Matt? The dude is damn a player!!!
And the lil romance... Amanda is always good at it. I can still recall from purple hibiscus, and she describes it in such a spoilt way that.... lipsrsealed lol

@Humble
I don't think that was about nerve. she seems was too weak and inferior to say no to matt.
To me,the story is about the influence of foreign cultures on the young africans.
I have an art work on that. I called it 'the influence'

But Centje in her mother's house? With her present?
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:

But Centje in her mother's house? With her present?
yeah, Humble. In such situation when you're helpless in someone's hands,you hardly reason properly.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
centje: yeah, Humble. In such situation when you're helpless in someone's hands,you hardly reason properly.
it was really a nerve! With a mother like that?

Where are the ladies I know you guys think somehow from us so it might seem okay to you
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 9:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
I had such a good laugh when i read this book.
What kind of a name is Ralindu anyway,is that even ibo?
By the way,her mother is the typical nigerian woman who would not take nonsense,she was only trying to make their house home away from home even with the food.
And that boyfriend of hers has got some nerve o,what! Right under her mother's roof? Really? He should just thank his stars he's in obodo oyinbo(abroad),if not he would have been properly dealt with,besides the girl too was too soft just because she wants to please an american guy.i hope lin or is it Ralindu has learnt her lessons except she wants pepper in her bum.lol

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 4:12am On Feb 14, 2013
Okay, Breathing, which one are we gonna read next?
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by breathing(f): 10:49am On Feb 14, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Okay, Breathing, which one are we gonna read next?

On to the next story already when I haven't even made my contribution. I've been so lazy busy. Ok, we should try a different writer next. A contemporary male this time. Jude Dibia maybe. Suggestions for the next story are welcome provided y'all suggest authors whose stories can be found free online. I'd post before the end of tomorrow.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
Hey guys....I suggest we could do something fun....since february is the month of love we could just read something that is not so ancient? I have been reading Naijastories lately...not so recent though. There is this story called finding hubby. Its just for fun. I can post them or we could go read it episode by episode. Its a diary of a morden day nigerian lady looking for Mr right to walk her down the isle.

Fun to read...just like Breathings's diary
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 4:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Hey guys....I suggest we could do something fun....since february is the month of love we could just read something that is not so ancient? I have been reading Naijastories lately...not so recent though. There is this story called finding hubby. Its just for fun. I can post them or we could go read it episode by episode. Its a diary of a morden day nigerian lady looking for Mr right to walk her down the isle.

I'd rather you post it.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by breathing(f): 4:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Hey guys....I suggest we could do something fun....since february is the month of love we could just read something that is not so ancient? I have been reading Naijastories lately...not so recent though. There is this story called finding hubby. Its just for fun. I can post them or we could go read it episode by episode. Its a diary of a morden day nigerian lady looking for Mr right to walk her down the isle.

Yeah better you post it in bits here on NL and ℓ☺ℓ, tnx for the compliment!

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
breathing:

Yeah better you post it in bits here on NL and ℓ☺ℓ, tnx for the compliment!
Larry-Sun:

I'd rather you post it.
ok guys will do it tonight...or now anyway.

On that thread for posting
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 17, 2013
What will be kalu's reaction
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 18, 2013
centje: What will be kalu's reaction

I wonder o.
I can't wait to find out the nitty-gritty of this story.i'm sure the lady would just lie about the whole thing like she did earlier,you know what they say 'when you tell a lie,you would have to use another one to cover it up'.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
D-deola:

I wonder o.
I can't wait to find out the nitty-gritty of this story.i'm sure the lady would just lie about the whole thing like she did earlier,you know what they say 'when you tell a lie,you would have to use another one to cover it up'.
exactly...i think she might end up with the dude. HBG.we're waiting...
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
She lied but Kalu wasn't the boyfriend so I doubt if he will get mad @ all grin
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 6:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
What are you guys talking about?
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 18, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: She lied but Kalu wasn't the boyfriend so I doubt if he will get mad @ all grin
at least he is a friend. It will hurt kalu to discover she lied to avoid him.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:
What are you guys talking about?
didn't u read finding hubby episode one?
centje: at least he is a friend. It will hurt kalu to discover she lied to avoid him.
I know lying is not good, I used to do that to get away with stuff let's say u were Kalu, what would be ur reaction?
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 7:14pm On Feb 18, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: didn't u read finding hubby episode one?I know lying is not good, I used to do that to get away with stuff let's say u were Kalu, what would be ur reaction?
No, I didn't read it. I thought you said you were going to post it.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:

No, I didn't read it. I thought you said you were going to post it.
angry angry

I posted it last week Larry!!! Come on
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 7:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
Okay ma'am, I should go and check it out on the other thread.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:26pm On Feb 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Okay ma'am, I should go and check it out on the other thread.
u have 5 minutes
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
Chie! Sweet Humble...oukay lemme consider possibilities... I meet her suddenly...i will first notice her body language...that may be the only truth i need to know to decipher whether she lied. The natural thing that will follow next is i say hi or she greats me. If she does otherwise or start talking too much,its a second pointer that she lied. After much pleasantries and sweet talk, i'd ask about the event that was supposed to keep her at home...well the expected thing is that she'll cook up another lie to cover up. I may sense she's lying to me buh i will let it pass. Its a clear red light buh the past and future events will add up to determine whether i should free her.

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by LarrySun(m): 7:35pm On Feb 18, 2013
That lady is playing too smart for my liking. What's all the ideas about screening. She's thirty-five for heaven's sake! I expect her to be more serious than that.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
centje: Chie! Sweet Humble...oukay lemme consider possibilities... I meet her suddenly...i will first notice her body language...that may be the only truth i need to know to decipher whether she lied. The natural thing that will follow next is i say hi or she greats me. If she does otherwise or start talking too much,its a second pointer that she lied. After much pleasantries and sweet talk, i'd ask about the event that was supposed to keep her at home...well the expected thing is that she'll cook up another lie to cover up. I may sense she's lying to me buh i will let it pass. Its a clear red light buh the past and future events will add up to determine whether i should free her.
good thinking...lemme go and update
Re: The Book Discussion Club (africa) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
Larry-Sun:
That lady is playing too smart for my liking. What's all the ideas about screening. She's thirty-five for heaven's sake! I expect her to be more serious than that.
I wonder too...thirty five is just way above my singlehood. I would have had my four kids then tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sex Has She Taught Me (18+) / Who Is This Monster¿? / Phindia.com ~ Books, Ebooks Publishers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.