Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,388 members, 7,826,506 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates (17636 Views)

BREAKING: Corpers Are To Report To Their LG For Headcount Nationwide / NYSC Director General Threatens To Shut Down Kwara State Orientation Camp / NYSC To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Boyoorisha: 2:37am On Jan 18, 2013
National Youth Service Corps has threatened to report the schools with highly deficient graduates to the regulatory bodies for sanctions following poor quality graduates being registered by some schools for the scheme.

The NYSC Director-General, Brig Gen Nnamdi Okorie-Affia, said this during the 2013 Batch ‘A’ pre-mobilisation workshop entitled ‘Generating Credible Data for a Perfect Mobilisation Process in Ilorin, Kwara State on Thursday.

Okorie-Affia, who regretted that many organisations had rejected corps members after they found them to be academically deficient, said the scheme had also discovered that some higher institutions had been presenting overage students and products of internally introduced unaccredited courses for mobilisation.

He said there were corps members who could hardly communicate in English Language, saying the development had wrongly earned the NYSC a bad name

The army chief said, “You will agree with me that it is extremely difficult to re-orient a corps member who cannot read. To underscore the seriousness of this challenge, we now have a situation whereby principals of schools and other employers reject corps members because they cannot fit into their work schedule.”

He said getting accurate and credible data from corps producing institutions for mobilising eligible graduates had been difficult.

According to the DG, the data for mobilisation by corps producing institutions in 2012 showed that many exceeded the admission quota approved by their respective regulatory bodies by as much as 500 per cent.

Okorie-Affa said, “The direct consequences of this on the scheme is massive corps population explosion, sometimes exceeding even the safe bound of acceptable standards of geometric progression. This has made planning in the NYSC rather difficult and is fast drawing the ire of both government and the general public.

“I instituted an inquiry on illegal fees being charged corps members by some Corps Producing Institutions before mobilising them for national service.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/nysc-threatens-to-report-schools-with-deficient-graduates/
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Burger01(m): 2:58am On Jan 18, 2013
Deficient graduates!!!. graduates deficiencies.. only in naija. End shall never wonder.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by honey001(m): 3:26am On Jan 18, 2013
Speechless.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by CrazyMan(m): 8:35am On Jan 18, 2013
Boyoorisha: He said there were corps members who could hardly communicate in English Language, saying the development had wrongly earned the NYSC a bad name
So how the hell were they able to graduate in the first place?

Who wrote their projects for them?

Who supervised them?

What language did they use when they defended it?

If a graduate of a higher institution cannot communicate in English, then I feel that institution shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I mean how would you graduate a stark illiterate who would go out and make a mockery of your institution...it makes no sense.

The NYSC boss should report those school...

10 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by nitrogen(m): 9:05am On Jan 18, 2013
It is a pity, infact we have 'dem' plenty around us, simple sentences cannot be constructed, simple words cannot be jinxed together anymore, it is pathetic, we all know that English language is not our language, but for one to spend over 12 years (in total-primary, secondary and tertiary) in school and after that, there isn't a difference between that so called 'graduate' and a 'street urchin', it is a shame!

I can infer that we do not even have 'half baked graduates' anymore, most are below average.

I weep for naija!

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Odunnu: 3:08pm On Jan 18, 2013
I support NYSC on this. NUC lost it a long time ago.
These days, you dont have to be bodily present in class, if the money is there or you are a 'cheerful giver' (usually for 'em chics' then piam! you are a graduate!
Disgusting!

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Afam4eva(m): 8:54am On Jan 19, 2013
What do they mean by deficient graduates? Is it only those that cannot speak good english

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 8:57am On Jan 19, 2013
Till we stop the crave for paper qualification,and not individual ability,we aint going anywhere as a nation.there are some people who don't have any business being in the university,but forced their way,cos they would be deemed as Failure in life.that's why in advanced nation,there are technical school to brush up people with special talents.
I can't imagine a graduate,who can't converse with English,how did such graduate write his project?

4 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:58am On Jan 19, 2013
Serves those institutions right if the NYSC boss reports them. Reading that some Universities produce graduates from unaccredited courses make me smh for Nija.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Emperor5c(m): 9:00am On Jan 19, 2013
And afta service dem go employ dem based on “who knw who“ levels while “schooled“ ones roam d streets lukin 4 jobs.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Francuiz: 9:01am On Jan 19, 2013
Its a sad situation nd i think its because we place more inportance on paper qualificatn.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by intelligen(m): 9:03am On Jan 19, 2013
SMH ...how on earth did we get here?
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 19, 2013
Eksu should top the list i guess. After producing graduates who couldn't fit into common primary schools but a bakery, a bakery my God.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by anelka101(m): 9:04am On Jan 19, 2013
i comment my reserve!!!
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by DonHummer(m): 9:04am On Jan 19, 2013
schools are threatening to report nysc camps with deficient facilities....

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 19, 2013
Supported! Only graduates from the TOP TEN universities should be deployed to schools
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Clerverly: 9:07am On Jan 19, 2013
Some of the deficients graduates are here on the job section of Nairaland. Need I say more? Okay....where did you took your the text? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Gratia(f): 9:10am On Jan 19, 2013
This is absolutely correct! it is disheartening to know that I have one here as a fellow corper,what a shame!
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 19, 2013
ESUT GRADUATES TAKE NOTE grin

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by phaya(f): 9:13am On Jan 19, 2013
BANGA SOUP: 9th to comment

You call this 'comment'?? Smh
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by etalker: 9:14am On Jan 19, 2013
The Nigerian graduate are the product of the system they found themselves.... its is simply Garbage In and Garbage Out (GIGO)

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by tosrich(m): 9:15am On Jan 19, 2013
mdsocks: Eksu should top the list i guess. After producing graduates who couldn't fit into common primary schools but a bakery, a bakery my God.

You must be a pathetic foo.ol to have witten this trash. there are bad eggs everywhere and I see no reason why you should single out one University...you really need to go check yourself

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Nwankwopeter: 9:18am On Jan 19, 2013
which way nija?.
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by angelajuni(f): 9:19am On Jan 19, 2013
Ahhh....IMT,ESUTH,EBSU tke note
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by krisokuweh(m): 9:20am On Jan 19, 2013
Dis is so true. Met a girl in camp dat dey had to write her name, institution attended n address for her. I wondered hw a graduate wil not b able to do dat most especially skuls frm d east. Pls pals its just d truth 4get abt d region n say ur own

1 Like

Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by nwgoziri(m): 9:26am On Jan 19, 2013
Cn som1 pls define who an educatd man is?.....in respect 2 dis!
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by aieromon(m): 9:27am On Jan 19, 2013
I see them everyday on Nairaland. grin
Re: NYSC Threatens To Report Schools With Deficient Graduates by Guddy(m): 9:29am On Jan 19, 2013
There was a a case of a corps member who was assigned to teach mathematics in the school she deployed to cos she had a 2.1 degree in mathematics. Lo and behold this lady could not teach the jss class basic mathematics. NYSC has to inquire from her Alma Mata how she scaled through school and graduated. It was then revealed that a lecturer in the dept was the mastermind. He collected slew amount of money from her right from her first year till she graduated to block her courses and settle some other stuff. Though the lecturer outrightly denied it initially, the truth was later revealed by other witnesses and the lecturer was sanctioned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nysc Batchc'14 Anambra Lets Meet Here / Nysc Anthem :download And Lyrics / Top 10 Best States For NYSC In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.