Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,089 members, 7,953,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:03 PM

Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? (1968 Views)

We Can't Vote Jimi Agbaje Because Of Pity.by Lagosians / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan / Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 1:44pm On Jan 18, 2013
I just want to know if Lagos State as it is known today the product of hard work of its indigenes or it is what it is today because of the collection effort of all Nigerians. Someone should expect Lagos State to be a strong State because it was once the federal capital city of Nigeria. Government built a lot of infrastructures in Lagos and that attracts a lot of companies to invest there. This makes Lagos the commercial city of Nigeria today.
Governor Fashola recently said that Lagos is the only state that can survive without oil money, but I don’t think he is correct because no state in Nigeria can survive 100% without oil money in Nigeria. Forget about the European, Asian, America and some few African Countries that are surviving without oil money because they know how to manage their little resources compared to Nigeria, that is only known for mismanagement of resources. The question now is: IS LAGOS STATE OVERRATED BY LAGOSIANS?
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Afam4eva(m): 1:48pm On Jan 18, 2013
I think this topic is redundant.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper: I just want to know if Lagos State as it is known today the product of hard work of its indigenes or it is what it is today because of the collection effort of all Nigerians. Someone should expect Lagos State to be a strong State because it was once the federal capital city of Nigeria. Government built a lot of infrastructures in Lagos and that attracts a lot of companies to invest there. This makes Lagos the commercial city of Nigeria today.
Governor Fashola recently said that Lagos is the only state that can survive without oil money, but I don’t think he is correct because no state in Nigeria can survive 100% without oil money in Nigeria. Forget about the European, Asian, America and some few African Countries that are surviving without oil money because they know how to manage their little resources compared to Nigeria, that is only known for mismanagement of resources. The question now is: IS LAGOS STATE OVERRATED BY LAGOSIANS?

The shocker Was visiting some secondary school FGGC loudmouthed classmates that wouldn't allow us to hear sumtin about Lagos back then only to find out that they lived in absolute squalor with an outhouse for a toilet. shocked

All na Lagos o grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 2:05pm On Jan 18, 2013
babyosisi:

The shocker Was visiting some secondary school FGGC loudmouthed classmates that wouldn't allow us to hear sumtin about Lagos back then only to find out that they lived in absolute squalor with an outhouse for a toilet. shocked

All na Lagos o grin grin

The same thing is going on here. My Lagos friend will not let me rest, Lagos is this and that. He make me think of Lagos like another Switzerland or Singapore. Lol...
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:

The same thing is going on here. My Lagos friend will not let me rest, Lagos is this and that. He make me think of Lagos like another Switzerland or Singapore. Lol...
Lagos is by far the most developed city in Nigeria, so there's no exaggeration there. maybe you're talking about the Fashola hype.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:

Don't mind them

The Lagos folks I have found out are just like the Nigerians in the UK
I kid you not,I have visited a home in London and you had to boil water and carry it in a bucket up into the bathroom to baff
Many of them are ghetto dwellers
But in Naija they will be shouting London London till you get there and see the filthy war zone they live in
In one thread they were revealing the ghettos they grew up in
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Geomac: 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2013
I expected the OP to talk about Fashola hype and not this crap. Lagos is still the most developed State or City in Nigeria take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 2:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lagos is by far the most developed city in Nigeria, so there's no exaggeration there. maybe you're talking about the Fashola hype.
Both Fashola hype and Lagosians in general. What makes Fashola think that only Lagos can survive without oil? If Lagos can survive without oil then other state can survive too. He's just arrogant.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Geomac: 2:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:
Both Fashola hype and Lagosians in general. What makes Fashola think that only Lagos can survive without oil? If Lagos can survive without oil then other state can survive too. He's just arrogant.

I don't he is arrogant but i want ACN to lose that State in the next election.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Mortiple(m): 2:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
babyosisi:

The shocker Was visiting some secondary school loudmouthed classmates that wouldn't allow us to hear sumtin about Lagos back then only to find out that they lived in absolute squalor with an outhouse for toilet.
All na Lagos grin grin

Lol!
The traditional ruler of my hometown once taunted some of his subjects who are based in Lagos. When they visit home, they wear starched clothes and raise shoulders all over places. But when it's time for action (during launching of community project), they wouldn't have a dime to contribute. Yet they are quick to tell you that they live in Lagos. grin

On a more serious note, Lagos is indeed overrated by not only Lagosians, but also by residents (not classified as Lagosians), visitors/strangers, Lagos state govt itself, non-residents, etc.

Many are quick to forget that Lagos State Govt has several avenues of making money. Has anyone thought of how much the states makes from Land Use Charge alone? Lagos Use Charge is a mandatory levy on ALL BUILDINGS in Lagos State. While in some locations, it may be as little as N10,000, in some other, millions are charged YEARLY. Now do the Maths; how many buildings are in Lagos?
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 2:27pm On Jan 18, 2013
Geomac: I expected the OP to talk about Fashola hype and not this crap. Lagos is still the most developed State or City in Nigeria take it or leave it.
Yes it's the most developed state, but is it as a result of Lagos state indigenes hard work or Nigerians as a whole?
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Geomac: 2:30pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:
Yes it's the most developed state, but is it as a result of Lagos state indigenes hard work or Nigerians as a whole.

Indigenes alone cannot develop any State. I am sure the indigenes of Lagos State or SW cannot say they develop Lagos alone.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 2:50pm On Jan 18, 2013
Geomac:

Indigenes alone cannot develop any State. I am sure the indigenes of Lagos State or SW cannot say they develop Lagos alone.
If you're a Lagos state indigene then you're not bias to say Lagos was not developed by its indigenes alone. But most of my Lagos friends believed that Lagos is developed today because of their effort alone. When i told them that if not that Lagos was the former capital City of Nigeria, it'll just be a normal state like Ogun or Osun state today. Some of them even went ahead and told me that the infrastructures laid by the federal government are not important players in Lagos economy today.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by GARRIx7(m): 2:57pm On Jan 18, 2013
Na wa oooo!!!

Some people carry Lagos matter for head like Government work.....

cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by sbeezy8: 3:04pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:
If you're a Lagos state indigene then you're not bias to say Lagos was not developed by its indigenes alone. But most of my Lagos friends believed that Lagos is developed today because of their effort alone. When i told them that if not that Lagos was the former capital City of Nigeria, it'll just be a normal state like Ogun or Osun state today. Some of them even went ahead and told me that the infrastructures laid by the federal government are not important players in Lagos economy today.

lagos can never be another osun or oyo or ogun. because lagos city is seashore. common sense
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 3:11pm On Jan 18, 2013
sbeezy8:

lagos can never be another osun or oyo or ogun. because lagos city is seashore. common sense

Did you read what i wrote before you quote me? If Lagos was not the capital city of Nigeria before, its economy will not be different from that of Ogun, Osun and other states in Nigeria.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by sbeezy8: 3:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
not true. Lagos state is by the sea - majority city with sea port will be more viable than the hinterland. thats common sense its proximity to cotounou, to lome to accra helps it out also

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Gbawe: 3:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Na wa oooo!!!

Some people carry Lagos matter for head like Government work.....

cheesy cheesy

Amusing to say the least.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by citizenisb: 3:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
Mali is one of the most irrelevant countries in West Africa from a resource standpoint, and what happens inside of it is certainly irrelevant from a greater geopolitical standpoint.

What is more important is what this map doesn't show, specifically the name of the country located a few hundred miles to the south: Nigeria.

Now Nigeria is important: very important. Or rather, Nigerian light sweet, one of the highest quality crudes in the world, is. And thanks to the "bungled" French peacemaking attempt, the US now has a critical foothold in what is the most strategically placed stretch of desert in Western Africa, a place where US "military trainers" will now be deployed at will.

Be on the lookout for curious escalations in violence around the capital Abuja, and key port city Lagos, in the coming months once the current Mali fracas is long forgotten.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by sbeezy8: 3:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
by lagos' port alone makes it more economically viable the other states,
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by GARRIx7(m): 3:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:
Did you read what i wrote before you quote me? If Lagos was not the capital city of Nigeria before, its economy will not be different from that of Ogun, Osun and other states in Nigeria.

.... And so?

Whatever made Lagos great, the fact is Lagos is a great place and has been blessed with prudent and visionary leaders.

Instead of crying day and night about the progress of Lagos State, why not encourage ur state governor to go and learn how to rule a State. Fashola wouldn't mind giving some lessons on that...

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by sbeezy8: 3:35pm On Jan 18, 2013
and Lagos isnt overrated by Lagosians,

Ghanaian, Liberians,Beninoise, Togolese that live in naija are usually based in the SW and in particular Lagos

No doubt about that.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 3:40pm On Jan 18, 2013
GARRI (x7):

.... And so?

Whatever made Lagos great, the fact is Lagos is a great place and has been blessed with prudent and visionary leaders.

Instead of crying day and night about the progress of Lagos State, why not encourage ur state governor to go and learn how to rule a State. Fashola wouldn't mind giving some lessons on that...

cheesy
Haha...what a brainwashed fellow! Lessons on how to talk too much, arresting poor people all over the place, and taking picture all the time on project sites? Or talking stupidly about other states and erecting toll gates?
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by GARRIx7(m): 3:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
TheViper:
Haha...what a brainwashed fellow! Lessons on how to talk too much, arresting poor people all over the place, and taking picture all the time on project sites? Or talking stupidly about other states and erecting toll gates?

Why not name 2 states that are better managed than Lagos State....

Jealousy dey smell....

cheesy
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Afam4eva(m): 3:48pm On Jan 18, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Why not name 2 states that are better managed than Lagos State....

Jealousy dey smell....

cheesy
Even if i list states that are better managed than Lagos, you will say it's a lie and i can't prove that they're more managed just as you can't prove that Lagos is more managed. Everything is based on speculation.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by GARRIx7(m): 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
Even if i list states that are better managed than Lagos, you will say it's a lie and i can't prove that they're more managed just as you can't prove that Lagos is more managed. Everything is based on speculation.

Its not speculation, if you have a verifiable source I'll accept it.

Besides Lagos may not be the "Best-Managed-State", but it is a well managed state..
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Afam4eva(m): 4:01pm On Jan 18, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Its not speculation, if you have a verifiable source I'll accept it.

Besides Lagos may not be the "Best-Managed-State", but it is a well managed state..
Now, we're talking. There's no verifying stat anywhere to prove which state is more well managed. We can only keep speculating.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Rhino5dm: 6:37pm On Jan 18, 2013
Another Lagos thread? why must it be that people that aren't from south west will be the ones so obsessed with Lagos? Since 1967, they haven't gave up about discussing Lagos? if i should get a penny for every time they discussed Lagos I should be richer than Dangote.

Is it some kinda genetic deficiency of sort that people will leave their towns, states and regions to find solace in what's not theirs? Baffling!

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by GARRIx7(m): 6:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
Now, we're talking. There's no verifying stat anywhere to prove which state is more well managed. We can only keep speculating.

Lagos State is a WELL-MANAGED State... That's no speculation.

Whether it's number 1, 2 , 3 or 4 is debatable.

Can I say the same for Delta State (Led by the Certified Thief - Uduaghan)? No!!
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by TheViper(m): 7:14pm On Jan 18, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Another Lagos thread? why must it be that people that aren't from south west will be the ones so obsessed with Lagos? Since 1967, they haven't gave up about discussing Lagos? if i should get a penny for every time they discussed Lagos I should be richer than Dangote.

Is it some kinda genetic deficiency of sort that people will leave their towns, states and regions to find solace in what's not theirs? Baffling!
The problem is not us but you Lagosians. Most Lagosians talk too much, and you don't appreciate foreigners that contribute to Lagos economy. All you think is Lagos this and that, but the last time i checked the average life of a Lagosian is not different from the life of other average Nigerians in some states. Arrogance is the major problem.
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 18, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Another Lagos thread? why must it be that people that aren't from south west will be the ones so obsessed with Lago]s? Since 1967, they haven't gave up about discussing Lagos? if i should get a penny for every time they discussed Lagos I should be richer than Dangote.

They haven't gave up about Lagos
See Lagos English grin grin grin
Chei

Tough for you,Lagosians are inhabitants of Lagos which consists of all people and some of them are Chinese sef
They are just as entitled to be there and occupy it and own it just as much as the Nigerian in Peckham is a Londoner entitled to his space there
Same thing here so no chest beatings
No one gave anybody free land anywhere
If you live and work in Lagos and contribute to the taxes in Lagos,you are just as Lagosian as the next man
Wherever one lives,you occupy it cool cool cool
Re: Is Lagos State Overrated By Lagosians? by FreeGlobe(f): 7:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lagos is not more developed than Abuja. Get your facts right

(1) (2) (Reply)

Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing / Code Name For Mr President / Obasanjo’s Aide Major General Abdullahi Mohammed Battles Nagging Leg Injury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.