Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,027 members, 7,825,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing (1941 Views)

British School Holds Muck Nigerian Pre-election Debate And Elections / Al-mustapha And Press Freedom. AIT ,Dokpesi Sacked 2 Senior Editorial Staff / Ne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 12, 2013
As I see the minor renovation going on in the armphi theatre, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, on this visit of mine to my alma mater, I recall the several debates and press nights that held in this gigantic building named Afrika Amphitheatre by students after the death of Comrade George Iwilade aka Akrika.
Of the two, debate which usually comes up a day or two after the press night, pulls more crowd. It coming up at night, say, 7 upwards, affords all students the opportunity to pick their leaders. Students are afforded the opportunity of not only knowing how intellectually sound the candidates are; they also get to know their profiles. The debate starts with all the candidates, who must be sitting facing the audience, exchanging pleasantries. They would then be asked to stand behind the pulpits on the stage, where their profiles would be read and asked questions. Their appearance on stage is on the arrangement based on the office each of them is vying for. The offices range from Social Director, Sports Director, Welfare, Assistant Secretary General, Secretary General, Public Relations Officer, Vice President and President. The Presidential candidates come last.
It's not unusual to see students writing the names of their preferred candidates on papers so as to vote for them the following day. (The debate holds the night before the election).
The debate is not all about "serious business." There are side attractions, usually from Awo boys (residents of Obafemi Awolowo Hall of Residence) who do aro.

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 11:43am On Dec 12, 2013
Very good reminiscence!

Presidential debate comes before the manifesto night!

Presidential debate night is where the fates of the aspirants are either perfected or squandered.

2007/2008 election involving these 4 presidential aspirants; Devaino, Ife Ife, Smart and Tolulope. It was obvious at the debate that awo guys very loved Devaino but Smart(though still had many supporters) made a misyarn telling the students to act like an intellectual while being rabble roused by Devaino after he had spoken. That alone cost him the affection of those that had already made up their minds to vote for him

I've always wished nigerian general election can be like OAU's SUG election where the majority of the votes are given to someone that has something in his head and not his pocket.

2 Likes

Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 12, 2013
OBA AWON UNIVERSITY
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by dejt4u(m): 11:50am On Dec 12, 2013
Tnx for takin us bk to history. I also remember d time of paul alaje aka prof, agenda mama, mr adodo destiny, rex we can-2008/2009 SUG election. Also, 2009/2010 election with fredrick f-jay, bobby, and d rest. Very interestin experience in amphi then. Hw time flies
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 12, 2013
Tolexander: Very good reminiscence!

Presidential debate night is where the fates of the aspirants are either perfected or squandered.

2007/2008 election involving these 4 presidential aspirants; Devaino, Ife Ife, Smart and Tolulope. It was obvious at the debate that awo guys very loved Devaino but Smart(though still had many supporters) made a misyarn telling the students to act like an intellectual while being rabble roused by Devaino after he had spoken. That alone cost him the affection of those that had already made up their minds to vote for him

I've always wished nigerian general election can be like OAU's SUG election where the majority of the votes is given to someone that has something in his head and not his pocket.
That singular statement by SMAT denied him his winning the election, though I voted for him.
Tolulope lost because students felt OAU needed a vibrant union after two sessions' ban. Besides Tolu was physically challenged (blind).
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 12, 2013
dejt4u: Tnx for takin us bk to history. I also remember d time of paul alaje aka prof, agenda mama, mr adodo destiny, rex we can-2008/2009 SUG election. Also, 2009/2010 election with fredrick f-jay, bobby, and d rest. Very interestin experience in amphi then. Hw time flies
I never enjoyed Prof's tenure. He was a management pikin. Students knew this even before campaign started. Students voted for him because of their fear that voting his closest rival, Goddey a member of DSM could lead to incessant closure.
If Joyce Agbebaku (Agenda Mama) had gone for VP, she would have defeated Lechi and Zainab.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 12:06pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
That singular statement by SMAT denied him his winning the election, though I voted for him.
Tolulope lost because students felt OAU needed a vibrant union after two sessions' ban. Besides Tolu was physically challenged (blind).
ya, Tolulope also told me he contested for contesting sake when i saw him early this year at NTA where he works. Though the guy is blind, he is more sound than many guys with functioning eyes.

Smat was my guy then but .....

Ife was loved by many gurls but that couldn't guarantee him the ticket.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by DrOBD(m): 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tolexander: Very good reminiscence!

I've always wished nigerian general election can be like OAU's SUG election where the majority of the votes are given to someone that has something in his head and not his pocket.

Wow, I remember..... I was one of the ACJ (Association of Campus Journalist) guys who moderated the debate.....good old days.
mods, FP things
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 12:11pm On Dec 12, 2013
dejt4u: Tnx for takin us bk to history. I also remember d time of paul alaje aka prof, agenda mama, mr adodo destiny, rex we can-2008/2009 SUG election. Also, 2009/2010 election with fredrick f-jay, bobby, and d rest. Very interestin experience in amphi then. Hw time flies
are you sure destiny contested that election?
Maybe you meant Goddey!
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by dejt4u(m): 12:12pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I never enjoyed Prof's tenure. He was a management pikin. Students knew this even before campaign started. Students voted for him because of their fear that voting his closest rival, Goddey a member of DSM could lead to incessant closure.
If Joyce Agbebaku (Agenda Mama) had gone for VP, she would have defeated Lechi and Zainab.
abi oo. Prof really fuckup then. His tenure ws so dull.
I also r'mberd d crisis btw prof led government and DSM.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by DrOBD(m): 12:15pm On Dec 12, 2013

Prof the capitalist, lol. Destiny was very popular, he was the speaker of the parliament. You did not mention Godday, sponsored by DSM.

Great IFE

1 Like

Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by DrOBD(m): 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tolexander: are you sure destiny contested that election?
Maybe you meant Goddey!

Yes, Destiny contested.........
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tolexander: ya, Tolulope also told me he contested for contesting sake when i saw him early this year at NTA where he works. Though the guy is blind, he is more sound than many guys with functioning eyes.

Smat was my guy then but .....

Ife was loved by many gurls but that couldn't guarantee him the ticket.
Yes, though Tolu is blind, he sees more than some people with eyes. I've known him right from when he was in the same room with Onome in Awo block 8. He used to come to my room in Awo blocks 6 annex G on his own. One day I tried to assist him to the room, he said I was taking him to the wrong place (he was not use to the way I was taking).
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tolexander: are you sure destiny contested that election?
Maybe you meant Goddey!
Destiny contested SRC and emerged Speaker.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Yes, though Tolu is blind, he sees more than some people with eyes. I've known him right from when he was in the same room with Onome in Awo block 8. He used to come to my room in Awo blocks 6 annex G on his own. One day I tried to assist him to the room, he said I was taking him to the wrong place (he was not use to the way I was taking).
almost the same encounter with him.
We were dropped by 'tangboro' infront of the health centre coming from town. When we alighted, he told me to help me cross the road to the health centre side, i did holding his hand. When we got to the cross junction heading to Awo, he left my hand telling me he was going to health centre without telling him we are on the route to awo. I was amazed.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 12:52pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
he later contested the presidential election the following year.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 1:04pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
you stayed in awo annex block 6? I was staying in block 3 room1 then.
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by DrOBD(m): 1:09pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tolexander: you stayed in awo annex block G? I was staying in block I with Hon Folarin then.

I stayed in Awo block 1 room 1 05/06
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by Tolexander: 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2013
Dr_OBD:

I stayed in Awo block 1 room 1 05/06
that annex block i rm 8 was in 2008/9
Re: Presidential Debate And Press Night In OAU Students' Union. Reminiscing by dejt4u(m): 1:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ola Johnson:
destiny ws d SRC speaker durin devaino tenure and later contested for president but he lost d election to prof. Goddey came second then

(1) (Reply)

British Girl Filmed Performing Sex Acts On 24 Men For Free Drinks / Poor Attendance Mars TAN's Rally In North Central / Who Is Tunde Ayeni And His Connection To Johnanthan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.