Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,190 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

"Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? (32612 Views)

Required Atf Needed For Servicing The Gearbox Of Toyota Venza 2010 Model / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
This is a term I've heard so often here, prior to joining Nairaland, I'd never heard of the term.

What exactly does a Nigerian mechanic in Nigeria do, when he claims he's "serviced the injector nozzles"? Or what does he intend to do when he says he wishes to "service the injector nozzles", and he's given the green light by his client?

As an automobile owner, what do you understand when your mechanic says the injector service needs to be carried out, have you actually watched your mechanic in action?

Lastly, what's the average charge for this service?
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Ikenna351(m): 10:58pm On Jan 19, 2013
Injector Nozzles? You are making it difficult for them to understand. Nigerians call Injectors: NOZZLES, while they call throttle body: INJECTOR.

From my understanding, what Nigerians regard as servicing of nozzles is cleaning of injectors with carb cleaner. Some would simply spray carb cleaner on the two ends of the injectors, and thats all. Unfortunately, they end up damaging the O-rings, spacers & pintle caps, since carb cleaner is a rubber destroyer. A lot of cars have burnt to ashes after the so called injector servicing. Why? Because the carb cleaner will weaken the O-ring and will cause leak from those points, which will, with time, start dripping/leaking fuel on exhaust manifold from the upper injector O-ring. Most people dont even know that O-rings need to be replaced after pulling out the injectors, to prevent vacuum leak from those ends.

Am yet to find in Abuja where ultrasonic injector cleaning is been done, which is the best method of cleaning injectors. But then, are we sure that our injectors really need cleaning? Or because our clowns said so? Most of us are good at driving reserve tank or only refuel when the fuel warning light starts showing on our instrument clusters. Why wont the injectors get clogged!

Some of us are fond of buying and pouring in the fuel tank, anything that has "injector cleaner" stamp on a container, not knowing that those Acids they call injector cleaners will at the end clog the injectors. Not all of them are safe to even touch the valves, making them sticky.

I wish we all know how we are killing our cars, with our hands and money, out of ignorance.

Ikenna.

15 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Connoisseur(m): 11:53pm On Jan 19, 2013
I have seen my mechanic do that a coupla tymz. Basicallt, what he does is loosen the nozzles that connect to injector one after another while the engine is running. he checkz the spraying pattern of each noozle, the guilty nozzle is the one that makes little or no difference to the sound of the car. it could take a few knocks to get the nozzle working or he calls for a replacement.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 21, 2013
Connoisseur: I have seen my mechanic do that a coupla tymz. Basicallt, what he does is loosen the nozzles that connect to injector one after another while the engine is running. he checkz the spraying pattern of each noozle, the guilty nozzle is the one that makes little or no difference to the sound of the car. it could take a few knocks to get the nozzle working or he calls for a replacement.

Wow. Bro, how much do you pay for this??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by miccodb(m): 2:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
in nigerian context simply means doing a local cleaning of the injeectors and performing a flow test too.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
miccodb: in nigerian context simply means doing a local cleaning of the injeectors and performing a flow test too.

How are the injectors cleaned, and how are the spray patterns, and flow rates measured?

I'm just trying to get my head around things here.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by bayour80: 5:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
I JUST BOUGHT A DEAWOO ESPERO AND IT GAVE ME SOME PROBLEMS. FIRST WHEN I NOTICED AND COMPLAINED TO THE MECHANIC THAT THE CAR WAS NOT ACCELERATING WELL, THEY SAID THEY NEED TO SERVICE OR CLEAN THE INJECTOR,THE BOUGHT CARB CLEANER AND LOOSE ALL THE WHAT I THINK IS THE INJECTOR NOZZLES AND ALSO CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER. THERE WAS AN IMPROVEMENT AFTER THIS,AFTER FEW DAYS AGAIN,THE PROBLEM RETURNED,THEY ASKED I NEED TO BUY INJECTOR CLEANER AND POUR INTO THE TANK,WHICH I DID. THE FOLLOWING DAY I EMBARKED ON A TRIP FROM KWARA TO ABUJA,ON MY,IN KOGI STATE,THE CAR REFUSED TO ACCELERATE ATALL AGAIN, I HAD TO LOOK FOR MECHANIC WHO CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER AGAIN,I MANAGED TO GET TO ABUJA THAT DAY. THE FOLLOWING MORNING THE CAR REFUSED TO START AGAIN,I VE TO CALL ANOTHER MECHANIC AGAIN AND THEY SAID THE CAR I VE BEEN KEPT FOR LONG ,THEY NOW SAID THEY VE TO REMOVED THE TANK AND CLEAN IT because IT WAS TOO DIRTY,WHICH THEY DID,THEY ALSO CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP,THOUGH ANOTHER ANOTHER MECHANIC CHECKED AND DISCOVERED THAT THE FUEL PUMP WAS GOOD. AFTER THAT, I WENT TO MINNA FROM ABUJA,ON ENTERING MINNA,THE CAR STOP ACCELERATING AGAIN AND WE HAD TO LOOK FOR A MECHANIC WHO ALSO BOUGHT CARB CLEANER AND SERVICE THE INJECTOR NOZZLES AND AFTER THAT THE CAR WAS MOVING WELL BUT DISCOVERED THAT IF I PUT FUEL INSIDE,IT WILL JUST DISAPPEAR,I NOW CALL A MECHANIC-DRIVER IN MY ORGANISATION,WHO NOW DISCOVERED THAT THE FUEL WAS GUSHING OUT FROM THE NOZZLE THAT SUPPLY FUEL TO THE INJECTOR AND HE DISCOVERED THAT A LIKE RING RUBBER AROUND IT HAS CUT AND WHICH WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT AND HE CUT ANOTHER RUBBER AND REPLACE IT AND IT STOPED AND SINCE THEN,I VE NOT NOTICE ANY PROBLEM AGAIN. GOD REALY SAVED ME

1 Like

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by yungboss(m): 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2013
bayour80: I JUST BOUGHT A DEAWOO ESPERO AND IT GAVE ME SOME PROBLEMS. FIRST WHEN I NOTICED AND COMPLAINED TO THE MECHANIC THAT THE CAR WAS NOT ACCELERATING WELL, THEY SAID THEY NEED TO SERVICE OR CLEAN THE INJECTOR,THE BOUGHT CARB CLEANER AND LOOSE ALL THE WHAT I THINK IS THE INJECTOR NOZZLES AND ALSO CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER. THERE WAS AN IMPROVEMENT AFTER THIS,AFTER FEW DAYS AGAIN,THE PROBLEM RETURNED,THEY ASKED I NEED TO BUY INJECTOR CLEANER AND POUR INTO THE TANK,WHICH I DID. THE FOLLOWING DAY I EMBARKED ON A TRIP FROM KWARA TO ABUJA,ON MY,IN KOGI STATE,THE CAR REFUSED TO ACCELERATE ATALL AGAIN, I HAD TO LOOK FOR MECHANIC WHO CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER AGAIN,I MANAGED TO GET TO ABUJA THAT DAY. THE FOLLOWING MORNING THE CAR REFUSED TO START AGAIN,I VE TO CALL ANOTHER MECHANIC AGAIN AND THEY SAID THE CAR I VE BEEN KEPT FOR LONG ,THEY NOW SAID THEY VE TO REMOVED THE TANK AND CLEAN IT because IT WAS TOO DIRTY,WHICH THEY DID,THEY ALSO CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP,THOUGH ANOTHER ANOTHER MECHANIC CHECKED AND DISCOVERED THAT THE FUEL PUMP WAS GOOD. AFTER THAT, I WENT TO MINNA FROM ABUJA,ON ENTERING MINNA,THE CAR STOP ACCELERATING AGAIN AND WE HAD TO LOOK FOR A MECHANIC WHO ALSO BOUGHT CARB CLEANER AND SERVICE THE INJECTOR NOZZLES AND AFTER THAT THE CAR WAS MOVING WELL BUT DISCOVERED THAT IF I PUT FUEL INSIDE,IT WILL JUST DISAPPEAR,I NOW CALL A MECHANIC-DRIVER IN MY ORGANISATION,WHO NOW DISCOVERED THAT THE FUEL WAS GUSHING OUT FROM THE NOZZLE THAT SUPPLY FUEL TO THE INJECTOR AND HE DISCOVERED THAT A LIKE RING RUBBER AROUND IT HAS CUT AND WHICH WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT AND HE CUT ANOTHER RUBBER AND REPLACE IT AND IT STOPED AND SINCE THEN,I VE NOT NOTICE ANY PROBLEM AGAIN. GOD REALY SAVED ME
ikenna, this confirms what you just said. Wow, i never knew this, though i have never used a carb cleaner, what i used recently when my car had a problem was petrol...(of course i knew it wasnt helping anything). I just did it to check if the injectors were actually spraying as was supposed to.

2 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 21, 2013
bayour80: THE FUEL WAS GUSHING OUT FROM THE NOZZLE THAT SUPPLY FUEL TO THE INJECTOR AND HE DISCOVERED THAT A LIKE RING RUBBER AROUND IT HAS CUT AND WHICH WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT AND HE CUT ANOTHER RUBBER AND REPLACE IT AND IT STOPED AND SINCE THEN,I VE NOT NOTICE ANY PROBLEM AGAIN. GOD REALY SAVED ME

You're a lucky man. The consequences of fuel under pressure spraying onto a red-hot exhaust manifold don't bear thinking about.

As for "cutting another rubber" to replace an injector O-ring - that's just dicing with death.
The risks associated with leaking gasoline, combined with a red-hot exhaust manifold, and hot engine bay cannot be overstressed.

4 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by speed001: 8:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
Pls where is d injector nozzle in camry 2003 cos I've nt done mine before. Pls how do u service it. Can I do it my self. Thanks all. Ow does it look like

3 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Ikenna351(m): 8:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
speed001: Pls where is d injector nozzle in camry 2003 cos I've nt done mine before. Pls how do u service it. Can I do it my self. Thanks all. Ow does it look like

Why do we still have to call it Injector nozzle?

The name of the component is Fuel Injector, not nozzle. It has tiny nozzle inside via which fuel sprays into the combustion chambers. To the best of my knowledge, there is no component in EFI car engine bay called Nozzle or Injector nozzle.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by sultaan(m): 9:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
Siena, after all these years of helping a lot of users here you still stop for a while and ask what is that again? grin

When some of these cars go up in flames I know exactly what happened look at the thread below and see some of the previous injector service palaver

https://www.nairaland.com/839112/subsidy-price-slash-registerd-volvo

and this

https://www.nairaland.com/233393/2003-chevrolet-suburban-quick-sale

There was another Mazda that went up in flames.

The problem with most users here is not what took them to a mechanic but what the mechanic did in the first place.

The fellow with the Daewoo never scanned his car yet they were throwing parts at it and money at the mechanic.

If the injectors are clogged and plugs are fouled you will have the same problem if injectors were clean but nothing was done to spark plugs.Basically your car was running on 3-2 cylinders

1 Like

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 21, 2013
speed001: Pls where is d injector nozzle in camry 2003 cos I've nt done mine before. Pls how do u service it. Can I do it my self. Thanks all. Ow does it look like

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You don't let these rogue mechanics pull your car to bits, just because you feel "something hasn't been done before." Right now, is your car running well? Besides, your car has four fuel injectors, not one "injector nozzle."

To keep your car in one piece (and not a massive fireball) I would advice you read up on Fuel Injection. And read posts here before yours - Ikenna has posted reasons NOT to allow your mechanic to "service" your injectors. Bayour posted his experience, including how his "mechanic" left his fuel system spouting gasoline. Clearly, you didn't read.

For all who care to listen - there's no such thing as "servicing the injector nozzles." Not the way it's done by your Nigerian mechanic anyway. The only way to service fuel injectors, is to have them cleaned ultrasonically.

It's done in a special machine, and before anything can be done, the flow rates at a given pressure have to be determined. So the flow rate as given by the manufacturer are needed. Servicing also involves replacing the pintle caps, strainers, O-rings (upper and lower). If the spray patterns are poor, the injectors have to be cleaned on an ultrasonic device. If they have secondary leakage, they have to be physically split, and the needle valve seats checked, and repaired as required.

Finally, all the injectors need to be balanced.

That's the only way to service fuel injectors. Anything else is just one big con. And for those that actually pay for their mechanic to "service their nozzles", they might as well allow these conmen bend them over, and shove the rough end of a pineapple up their arses.

5 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 21, 2013
Nigerian mechanics must be making a killing, "servicing nozzles". What's the average charge? I think I need to relocate, and change jobs! grin
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Buhari1(m): 10:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
Am yet to find in Abuja where ultrasonic injector cleaning is been done, which is the best method of cleaning injectors. But then, are we sure that our injectors really need cleaning? Or because our clowns said so? Most of us are good at driving reserve tank or only refuel when the fuel warning light starts showing on our instrument clusters. Why wont the injectors get clogged!

Yes you are 100% correct that there is hardly anywhere in Abuja with an ultrasonic injector cleaning device. The main issue is that most emission related problems are closely associated with the nature of fuel being dispensed from petrol stations and the road side black marketeers as well as "injector cleaners" which end up clogging the nozzles causing poor engine performance. Adulterated and poor quality octane fuel create the reasons why so many motorists would end up at the "clowns" workshop for an injector service. The only option left in the challenge of locating an ultrasonic injector cleaning equipment is the carburetor cleaner and believe me it does the job. From my own personal experience the downside is due to the lack of skills and attention to details of these mechanics while handling your vehicle.

1 Like

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Buhari1(m): 10:38pm On Jan 21, 2013

Haba Siena!!!!!
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Buhari1(m): 10:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
sorry mates. This was the original quote.

That's the only way to service fuel injectors. Anything else is just one big con. And for those that actually pay for their mechanic to "service their nozzles", they might as well allow these conmen bend them over, and shove the rough end of a pineapple up their arses.

Haba siena!!!!!! grin

1 Like

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by cardoctor(m): 11:12pm On Jan 21, 2013
Some of us are fond of buying and pouring in the fuel tank, anything that has "injector cleaner" stamp on a container, not knowing that those chemicals they call injector cleaners will at the end clog the injectors. Not all of them are safe to even touch the valves, making them sticky.

This diabolical liquid that they force down your throat at the gas station has led to many a crisis. Most car owners are advised by the pump attendants that it cleans your injector nozzles just as you are filling up and do not have a proven record of what it really does apart from blocking your nozzles by leaving a sticky red residue on your nozzles tips thus hampering performance and leading to expensive trips to the auto centre.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Ngutor(m): 11:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
Oga Siena I want to assure you that if you relocate to Nigeria with your skills you will ever have only one regret; why you made the choice late. You will make money (tax free)sotaaaaaaaay you go cry.
On another level can these injectors be replaced?

3 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
Ngutor: Oga Siena I want to assure you that if you relocate to Nigeria with your skills you will ever have only one regret; why you made the choice late. You will make money (tax free)sotaaaaaaaay you go cry.

Injectors can certainly be replaced. As long as the replacements are from the same engine, and have the same flow rate, and impedance in OHMs.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by FindOut(m): 12:06am On Jan 22, 2013
Ngutor: O[b]ga Siena I want to assure you that if you relocate to Nigeria with your skills you will ever have only one regret; why you made the choice late. You will make money (tax free)sotaaaaaaaay you go cry.[/b]

Seconded grin
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by bayour80: 9:28am On Jan 22, 2013
tanx,but he said we cant get another type of the same o-ring rubber?
Siena:

You're a lucky man. The consequences of fuel under pressure spraying onto a red-hot exhaust manifold don't bear thinking about.

As for "cutting another rubber" to replace an injector O-ring - that's just dicing with death.
The risks associated with leaking gasoline, combined with a red-hot exhaust manifold, and hot engine bay cannot be overstressed.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by OAM4J: 10:25am On Jan 22, 2013
Ngutor: Oga Siena I want to assure you that if you relocate to Nigeria with your skills you will ever have only one regret; why you made the choice late. You will make money (tax free)sotaaaaaaaay you go cry.

I agree with you.

From my experiences when in Nigeria; standard, well equipped auto shops with qualified Technicians are badly needed everywhere in Nigeria. Imagine the number of customers Sienna will get from badly treated Nairaland members alone.

Seriously Sienna, give it a serious thought, save a lot of these people from throwing money away. Most of these mechanics only do trial by error at the expense of the car owners.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by speed001: 10:41am On Jan 22, 2013
So ow do I know if my injector is bad. Does it throw any code like dat of oxxygen sensor
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by dilbert100: 11:30am On Jan 22, 2013
undecided
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by miccodb(m): 11:39am On Jan 22, 2013
Siena:

How are the injectors cleaned, and how are the spray patterns, and flow rates measured?

I'm just trying to get my head around things here.

they are cleaned by applying pressurized cleaners capable of dissolving dirts plugging the nozzzles. this is done while the injector is open i.e voltage applied to it. sparay patters are measured by replacing the injetors into the fuel supply line but not yet into the chamber, try to start the vehicle and you can see the spray pattern. as for the flow the cleaning process takes care of that. and that why i call it the local way in the absence of the right equipment this should pass
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Konnektions146(m): 11:48am On Jan 22, 2013
Siena: Nigerian mechanics must be making a killing, "servicing nozzles". What's the average charge? I think I need to relocate, and change jobs! grin
Oga Siena,
the charge is dependent on the location, the workshop(if its in mechanic village or established kinda guy with "name"wink

there is dis guy in Enugu that i use at some point for Mercedes 190, he charges abt 3500-4000 naira(about 15GBP)

then i once used a guy in Uyo where i base now in 2011 ans i paid him 5,000 naira(about 20GBP)

considering the fact that we have a habit of driving dry tank, dere is always a tendency that the injectot get clogged with dirts.

Point of note: after servicng the 'injector nozzle', and fitted back in the vehicle, they watch the fuel flow as someone pointed out and they could even use heavy spanner to hit on the top of the throttle body if there is any of the injectors that aint injectin fuel well enough.

funny enough, wen they hit it on it, fuel go begin comot well .

1 Like

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 22, 2013
It is so sad the SCANNER AND UNDERSTAND THE WORKING PRINCIPLE OF YOUR VEHICLE.

3 Likes

Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by leto(m): 11:52am On Jan 22, 2013

Seriously Siena you need to consider setting up shop here in Nigeria: one workshop in Lagos and another in Abuja will do quite nicely for starters. No let us drag you go Kickstarter or something before you answer us o. And don't do it "to stop these people from throwing away their money" either. Do it 'cos you'll be filling a huge market gap AND making a whole lotta money.
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by jadakiss213(m): 11:56am On Jan 22, 2013
Siena: Nigerian mechanics must be making a killing, "servicing nozzles". What's the average charge? I think I need to relocate, and change jobs! grin
so Siena, what do u suggest?? we practically have no choice here..
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Majesty202(m): 12:00pm On Jan 22, 2013
jadakiss213: so Siena, what do u suggest?? we practically have no choice here..
, yea we do hv
Re: "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? by Biggoozz: 12:02pm On Jan 22, 2013

You are charged when the mechanic squints and assesses your car value, e.g. N3,000 for a 2005 corolla, N10,000 for a 2005 Prado SUV. Gerrit? grin. Now you may want to know that some hired drivers of 2012 model cars go do this stuff with the road side guys and go collect one receipt with a big name on it, inflate the cost further for the company or oga sad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 1936 Bugatti Type 57sc: Is This The Most Beautiful Car In The World? / Serious Accident Around Ojodu Berger (just After Mobil Petrol Station) / Kia Unveils The All-New 2018 Kia Sportage SUV Proudly Assembled In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.