Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,331 members, 7,819,135 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? (47179 Views)

Techron Injector Cleaner Needed In Lagos / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
For those who have had to fix their cars in Nigeria either servicing the injectors or nozzles, might have heard about the use of lacquer Thinner to 'wash' the injector mouth and nozzles. I'm not sure if they've heard that one can also use lacquer Thinner to clean the Cat converter and injectors, by pouring a gallon into the gas tank.

I recently complained to my mechanic of slight hesitation and poor gas mileage and he said, he would pour 50cl of lacquer Thinner into the gas tank and after a drive, we'll see the result. I asked how safe it is. He said it works 'very well' and that he has tried same on 2008/2010 model cars and it had no negative effect on the cars.

As an educated person, i thought about it twice. If this destroys my car, i would only be sorry for myself. I checked some online sites about the use of lacquer Thinner. the responses against such is overwhelming, hence my opening a thread on Nl, for other knowledgeable car enthusiasts to contribute if they've tried such.

I know lacquer Thinner is an octane booster.

what's your take on this?
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
I wouldn't advice it. Lacquer has no octane, as you so correctly pointed out. Adding a gallon to your gas tank can lower your already low non-premium gasoline, to about 88 RON or even lower. Dangerous. At this octane level, with most modern engines running compression ratio (CR) of 10:1 or higher, the engines won't last long. Detonation will occur, and piston crown damage will result.

Besides, have you thought of the effects of lacquer on your Oxygen Sensors? You'll trigger so many error codes, your dash would light up like a Christmas tree.

2 Likes

Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena: I wouldn't advice it. Lacquer has no octane, as you so correctly pointed out. Adding a gallon to your gas tank can lower your already low non-premium gasoline, to about 88 RON or even lower. Dangerous. At this octane level, with most modern engines running compression ratio (CR) of 10:1 or higher, the engines won't last long. Detonation will occur, and piston crown damage will result.

Besides, have you thought of the effects of lacquer on your Oxygen Sensors? You'll trigger so many error codes, your dash would light up like a Christmas tree.
lol. I wouldnt be trying it, thats why i opened the thread for contributions. Im wondering how many mechanics would be doing this almost on a daily basis
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by wurdz: 8:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena: I wouldn't advice it. Lacquer has no octane, as you so correctly pointed out. Adding a gallon to your gas tank can lower your already low non-premium gasoline, to about 88 RON or even lower. Dangerous. At this octane level, with most modern engines running compression ratio (CR) of 10:1 or higher, the engines won't last long. Detonation will occur, and piston crown damage will result.

So what alternative do we have to Lacquer in the Nigerian market?
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
wurdz:

So what alternative do we have to Lacquer in the Nigerian market?
thats a good question
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2012
i also learned that thinner has Toluene and Xylene only as ingredients and these are the main constituenets for Octane booster our cars need
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
toba: i also learned that thinner has Toluene and Xylene only as ingredients and these are the main constituenets for Octane booster our cars need

I run Toluene - but only during the race season, and not in my regular car.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena:

ok still in the process of learning. what if by 9am tomorrow morning, i get to the market to buy Toluene and pour in my gas tank, what will happen to my MPG and engine?
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
toba: ok still in the process of learning. what if by 9am tomorrow morning, i get to the market to buy Toluene and pour in my gas tank, what will happen to my MPG and engine?

You do realise Toluene has no lubricating properties?

My race cars have all had fuel cells to replace the regular fuel tank. And I ran silicone fuel lines. My ECU's were also mapped to run Toluene safely. The cylinder heads needed to be rebuilt often, as the non-lubricating properties of Toluene played havoc with my valve stem seals. Exhaust valves took a beating too.

I've never run it in my daily driver, and never will.

Not as simple as just pouring it into your tank.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena:

You do realise Toluene has no lubricating properties?

My race cars have all had fuel cells to replace the regular fuel tank. And I ran silicone fuel lines. My ECU's were also mapped to run Toluene safely. The cylinder heads needed to be rebuilt often, as the non-lubricating properties of Toluene played havoc with my valve stem seals. Exhaust valves took a beating too.

I've never run it in my daily driver, and never will.

Not as simple as just pouring it into your tank.
looks more techical than i thought. does it mean in a striaght forward response pouring a toluene thinner in my car can damage my engine? if yes, do support use of other addictives? lastly since most mechanics does this, why hasnt this killed most cars on our roads.

thks
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by nissparts(m): 10:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
You dont need to run it through the tank.
Remove the injectors and "service" them with the thinner
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
toba: looks more techical than i thought.

It is.

toba: does it mean in a striaght forward response pouring a toluene thinner in my car can damage my engine?

Yes.

toba: if yes, do support use of other addictives?

Octane boosters to raise your octane by a couple of points, probably. Fabled injector cleaner in the tank? No.

toba: lastly since most mechanics does this, why hasnt this killed most cars on our roads.

How do you know it hasn't? It's not like engine failures in Nigeria are ever investigated, in any great depth.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by sultaan(m): 11:48pm On Nov 15, 2012
You must be watching too much youtube videos.
This guy is a seasoned tech so I can't doubt his views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE

1 Like

Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by captalex(m): 6:28pm On Nov 17, 2012
Siena:

what car do you use to race by the way? and on what route.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 17, 2012
captalex:

what car do you use to race by the way? and on what route.

My first was a stripped out VW Golf GTI I, which was running a stroked Audi 2,1 16V on throttle bodies. Next was a VW Golf GTI II running a home-built 1,8 16V turbo. Then an Audi Coupe Quattro, running an Audi RS2-spec engine (2,2 20V turbo I5) mated to an 01E 6-speed box.

My current car is being built.

I don't know what you mean by "route."
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by captalex(m): 8:09pm On Nov 17, 2012
Siena:

My first was a stripped out VW Golf GTI I, which was running a stroked Audi 2,1 16V on throttle bodies. Next was a VW Golf GTI II running a home-built 1,8 16V turbo. Then an Audi Coupe Quattro, running am Audi RS2-spec engine (2,2 20V turbo I5) mated to an 01E 6-speed box.

My current car is being built.

I don't know what you mean by "route."

I meant do you race on the m1 or go to a racing enthusiast' center to burn rubber.

I wanted to get a classic rover mini and tune it up a bit to use it for occasional races and drive mainly on Sundays.
Heard they go for about 4000 pounds on pistonheads now.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 18, 2012
captalex:

I meant do you race on the m1 or go to a racing enthusiast' center to burn rubber.

I wanted to get a classic rover mini and tune it up a bit to use it for occasional races and drive mainly on Sundays.
Heard they go for about 4000 pounds on pistonheads now.

Heck, no. I don't race on public roads, not worth the grief. I do track days at various events, and take part in drag racing at Santa Pod, or other shows that are held at various locations throughout the summer.

The only public road I'll give my car all it has is on the unrestricted sections of the Autobahn.

Classic Minis aren't cheap, especially genuine Mini Coopers. But definitely way cheaper than £4,000, if you have the right contacts. (I do.) wink Not for me though - I like more metal in front of me. The Mini's way too small for me.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by captalex(m): 9:52pm On Nov 18, 2012
Siena:

Heck, no. I don't race on public roads, not worth the grief. I do track days at various events, and take part in drag racing at Santa Pod, or other shows that are held at various locations throughout the summer.

The only public road I'll give my car all it has is on the unrestricted sections of the Autobahn.

Classic Minis aren't cheap
, especially genuine Mini Coopers. But definitely way cheaper than £4,000, if you have the right contacts. (I do.) wink Not for me though - I like more metal in front of me. The Mini's way too small for me.

You can't be bothered getting speeding tickets when there's a family to feed, i get you.
The autobahn i heard is a racer' dream, a wide and long stretch of tarred asphalt that'll melt the heart of even the "Stig'. Nurburning is cool too,heard they might close it down due to the high maintenance costs.
Wouldn't it be cool to be featured on Topgear or Autocar Siena?
How much Do you think your contacts can get a clean/unmodified mini for me?
What do you mean by you prefer more 'metal in front of you', have you seen the mini scene in the borne identity/supremacy film,Epic!,
That car is very fun to drive, not to even talk the thrills and attention you'll get.
If metal if your things why not go for the american muscle cars:mustangs,chervolets,dodges they never fall short there.
That is just my opinion anyway.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 18, 2012
captalex:

You can't be bothered getting speeding tickets when there's a family to feed, i get you.
The autobahn i heard is a racer' dream, a wide and long stretch of tarred asphalt that'll melt the heart of even the "Stig'. Nurburning is cool too,heard they might close it down due to the high maintenance costs.
Wouldn't it be cool to be featured on Topgear or Autocar Siena?
How much Do you think your contacts can get a clean/unmodified mini for me?
What do you mean by you prefer more 'metal in front of you', have you seen the mini scene in the borne identity/supremacy film,Epic!,
That car is very fun to drive not to talk the thrill and attention you'll get.That is just my opinion anyway.

The Autobahn's indeed a fine place to be, a driver's paradise. Been to the Nurburgring a few times - first with my old BMW M3 E30, my VW Golf GTI 16V turbo, then my Audi RS2. The car I'm currently building will also visit the 'Ring.

It'll be nice to get a Topgear feature, hopefully that's in the pipeline. So far, I've been magazine featured, in 4 different motoring mags.

By "More metal in front of me", I'm referring to a longer hood, and more crumple zones. The classic Mini has very little of this. I watched Mat Damon and Franca Potente blast through Paris was awesome! Got the DVD Trilogy.

I can get you a clean, OEM Mini Classic, if you're interested.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by markus1133: 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
agreeee
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:53pm On Nov 19, 2012
pls don't try this at home.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by PastorKun(m): 3:08pm On Nov 19, 2012
I used to use lacquer thinner before as fuel treatment for my car, however over a period of time it damaged my fuel filter and fuel pump. I would advise strongly against using it.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by brojero: 8:01pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

, I've been magazine featured, in 4 different motoring mags.

Interesting! Which mags/issues?

I subscribe to Practical Classics, Car Mechanics and Mercedes Enthusiast myself. Currently restoring an '89 MB 500SE.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
brojero:

Interesting! Which mags/issues?

I subscribe to Practical Classics, Car Mechanics and Mercedes Enthusiast myself. Currently restoring an '89 MB 500SE.

*Fast Car.
*GTI Special.
*Performance Volkswagen.

I've kept my copies too, sacred stuff. wink
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
brojero:

Currently restoring an '89 MB 500SE.

Sounds like a good project. I'm currently building a DTM-inspired Audi A4 Quattro B5, with Audi S8-power (4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 32V). Your W124 is V8-engined?
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by sXFT: 8:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
Talking of reducing fuel consumption, the nothing like Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT). It has been tested and tried for over 20 years. It known as the miracle worker to those who use it. It works for almost all types of engines and machines. The only engines that it does not work for are gas powered engines. It reduces your fuel consumption by at least 25%, reduces your emission to 30%, increases your horsepower, and prolongs your engine lifespan. It contains detergents that washes and clean your engine as you use it, it reduces engine wear by reducing friction in your engine parts, and it has rust and corrosion inhibitor that prevent rust and corrosion from forming in your engine. Big and small factories, industries, mining and manufacturing industires and also transportation companies all over the world are using this product.

This product does so many things that, people dont believe untill they try it and realise that it real and more effective and efficient than they can imagine. I will try to supply a video link soon. All the same, people can still visit this website "www.ola.mysyntek.com" for more information on the product and how it works, how to make money form it.
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by JimOvia: 9:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
Please for Christ sake this is Nairaland and not Oyiboland. Take ur stuff elsewhere
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 19, 2012
sXFT: Talking of reducing fuel consumption, the nothing like Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT). It has been tested and tried for over 20 years. It known as the miracle worker to those who use it. It works for almost all types of engines and machines. The only engines that it does not work for are gas powered engines. It reduces your fuel consumption by at least 25%, reduces your emission to 30%, increases your horsepower, and prolongs your engine lifespan. It contains detergents that washes and clean your engine as you use it, it reduces engine wear by reducing friction in your engine parts, and it has rust and corrosion inhibitor that prevent rust and corrosion from forming in your engine. Big and small factories, industries, mining and manufacturing industires and also transportation companies all over the world are using this product.

This product does so many things that, people dont believe untill they try it and realise that it real and more effective and efficient than they can imagine. I will try to supply a video link soon. All the same, people can still visit this website "www.ola.mysyntek.com" for more information on the product and how it works, how to make money form it.

Man, please don't dilute this thread with your commercial activity. Take this thread to the Auto section, and stop spamming this one, for Pete's sake! angry
Re: Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? by adconline(m): 10:48pm On Nov 19, 2012
Sienna, NLers like you are still part of the reason why I haven't left this site that seems to have been taken over by junk and vitriolic issues. Thank you for the volume of information you keep bringing to this site!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) / Green Lamborghini Spotted In Wuse, Abuja / 11 Items Nigerians Should Have In Their Cars – FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.