Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) (1436 Views)

Can A Non-IT Student Become A Programmer Or Webmaster? / Am I Doing/thinking Right? Seeking A Non Programming Advice / Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) by Raikishi(m): 2:22am On Jan 21, 2013
Let's break the ice before we enter the boring stuff... How many people think Oracle and their short sighted myopic policies are/is (for the grammar addicts) the worst thing that ever happened to java?
I mean come'on, if you think Sun was paranoid with java! you never thought oracle would butt their ugly heads in... they should have just stuck with ODB.

--Jumping In--
Some months back, fresh off employment and empty headed I travelled to Lagos, bought a powerbike and did some other dumb stuff... part of which was signing a Non Disclosure Agreement on a "particular job".
Looking back from this future into my past I believe I shot myself in the foot.

1. I might have a super complex on some things but not software development, there are tons of things you can only get
from experience, and years of experience and commitment and experience... ONE OF THE WORST THINGS OF AN NDA IS
THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT EVEN DISCUSS YOUR WORK OUTSIDE YOUR TEAM AND MUST THEREFORE WORK WITHIN THE CONTEXT (INGENUITY AND FLAWS)
OF YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

2. IT ALMOST ALWAYS CHANGES FROM NOT DISCLOSING TO NOT DEVELOPING SIMILAR "THINGS" IN FUTURE... THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN FOR CRYING
OUT LOUD. The fight to explain this is "UGLY".

3. YOUR STUCK WITH WHATEVER MYOPIC RESOURCES YOU WERE INSTANTIATED WITH (PUNS INTENDED)

4. IT SHIFTS EMPHASIS OF YOUR WORK AND THE EXECUTION TO THE IDEA, and we all know THAT IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN

5. Its like developing a poorly encapsulated class on top of a SueMeOrMilkMeDry(some future date)

6. You probably don't have time to read the damning clauses and terms anyway (Guilty)

7. Information fishing could land you in serious trouble (lemme explain: your refusal to comment on a certain specific matter out of many
might divulge information about the kind of information you originally planned to hide) thus even though you did not mean to you shot yourself in the
foot(have you ever met anyone that intentionally shot themselves in the foot?)

8. MOST ANNOYING: I CAN'T EVEN WORK ON ANOTHER PROJECT that is presumed to be related. I can't work for competitors, new entrants, or better ideas
without permission from my new masters.

9. I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PAID X, NOW AM BEING PAID X/1.8 JUST TO ADD A CLAUSE TO THE STUPID THING I NEVER SHOULD HAVE SIGNED: SO IF YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY SIGN ONE
HAVE 3 DIFFERENT LAWYERS READ THROUGH, THEN ENSURE THERE IS AN EXIT DATE CLAUSE SET TO 1DAY AFTER FINISHING THE JOB. AND SIGN IN A SIGNATURE YOU CAN DENY IF SHIT HITS THE FAN.

10. did i mention that you shoot yourself in the foot?
Re: Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 21, 2013
2. IT ALMOST ALWAYS CHANGES FROM NOT DISCLOSING TO NOT DEVELOPING SIMILAR "THINGS" IN FUTURE... THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN FOR CRYING
OUT LOUD. The fight to explain this is "UGLY".
so on point.
Re: Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) by Javanian: 2:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
@op or any other person, can i see a sample of the NDA you signed??
Re: Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) by talk2hb1(m): 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
This happenz a lot in the programming world. Clients s
Wants you to keep mum
Concerning their project. But I must say you can sign a NDA as long as they will they will give me 10% share of the company.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have An Online Shop For Sale Or Can You Develop One? / Reasons Why Programming Is A Dangerous Profession In Nigeria / People Stealing Programming Jobs on NL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.