Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,441 members, 7,823,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody (18907 Views)

Nigerian Man Dies While In Custody Of Austria Police (Photo) / Photos: 4 Nigerian Students Found Dead In An Apartment In Georgia / Nigerian Man Allegedly Shot Dead In South Africa(Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 21, 2013
I lived in south africa for 3yrs, i could remember a police man after searching me and found nothing he said,"you f**kin nigerian, go back to your f**kin country, you think you are what?"
I wish I can see the man now and tell him back "mr. officer drink a bottle of Andre Rosa and give me the bill, am in my country now and am doing great".

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 21, 2013
where the fu#k is the nigerian government! lipsrsealed[b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by DeGrace01(m): 2:30pm On Jan 21, 2013
rip bros, if naija is anything to write home about most us wont step out to risk our life.
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by otumfour(m): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2013
Ninilowo: The whites stll rule in south Africa

And the corrupt leaders still rule in Nigeria undecided, now compare the two, on the average, who's living better?......*whistles* on his way out.....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by joesbuba: 2:45pm On Jan 21, 2013
south africa police are very wicked,they hate nigerians with passion
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by olumidazz: 2:52pm On Jan 21, 2013
@otumfour, u have made a very salient nd erudite comment here with u post. A lot of fools here just type rubbish of their keyboard without reason. You people think south Africa and Nigeria are mates abi I don't blame you, you think they will just watch for illegal immigrants to mess up their country- impossible, not even the manner okoro boys are messing up the image of Nigeria there. My comment does not mean am justifying the killing of the man though, so fools read well and digest properly b4 spewing rubbish o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by delors(m): 2:53pm On Jan 21, 2013
I wonder if these twistd minded racists could do this to an American citizen...I wonder if we do this to South Africans in Nigeria, majority of whom are high proifle criminals...This is so uncalled for...How i wished I had a President cry
RIP bro.
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by delors(m): 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
otumfour:

And the corrupt leaders still rule in Nigeria undecided, now compare the two, on the average, who's living better?......*whistles* on his way out.....
So in the name of 'living better' anybody is expendable? A foreigner? Do u think there are no American criminals in South africa? Do u think this would have happened if the guy was an American? Think bro and dont sound so insentive...guilty or not, everyone deserves equal treatment as far as justice is concerned.
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
olumidazz: @otumfour, u have made a very salient nd erudite comment here with u post. A lot of fools here just type rubbish of their keyboard without reason. You people think south Africa and Nigeria are mates abi I don't blame you, you think they will just watch for illegal immigrants to mess up their country- impossible, not even the manner okoro boys are messing up the image of Nigeria there. My comment does not mean am justifying the killing of the man though, so fools read well and digest properly b4 spewing rubbish o.

mates, how?
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by delors(m): 2:59pm On Jan 21, 2013
lucenzo: South africans with their potatoe head.
actually, it is mashed potatoes....cra.zy people

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by otumfour(m): 3:00pm On Jan 21, 2013
delors:
So in the name of 'living better' anybody is expendable? A foreigner? Do u think there are no American criminals in South africa? Do u think this would have happened if the guy was an American? Think bro and dont sound so insentive...guilty or not, everyone deserves equal treatment as far as justice is concerned.

Check the comment I quoted before ur BP goes high.....
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
De-Grace01:
rip bros, if naija is anything to write home about most us wont step out to risk our life.

Most Nigerians don't travel out of the country cos they are suffering, its because of delusion. They just want to travel out! if you are suffering, better use your ticket money to start up something instead of travelling out to waste your life away. That's the truth of the matter. I've seen someone who is very comfortable in nigeria, gainfully employed. But he is willing to leave everything to travel out. Why? Nigerians are just one set of deluded fellows. Smh

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by bblacky(f): 3:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
RIP brother!
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by sweetcheecks(f): 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
Moral of the story crime does not pay. undecided
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Cusubaba(m): 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
otumfour:

Check the comment I quoted before ur BP goes high.....
u ugly useless Ghana man. Senseless ape Bleep off from nairaland and go back to boring ghanaweb. I.D.I.O.T.
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by doppler777(m): 3:34pm On Jan 21, 2013
Revolva: Seems the dude was on a trip to carry cocaine from yankee to SA .. And he was caught ..and maltreated by the SA authourities
Coke worths more in Yankee than SA.
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by solinho(m): 3:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
[quote
author=jidewin]KANYI Dyantyi will not have the wedding she was looking
forward to after her Nigerian-born fiancé died while in police custody
in Cape Town earlier this month

Obinna Ugboaja's death has sparked the ire of the Nigerian community who
marched to parliament on Friday demanding an end to police brutality
against foreigners.

March organisers, the Nigerian Union in the Western Cape and Frontline
Africa, argued that Nigerians were being targeted for brutal treatment
by the police. They said in most cases brutality was swept under the
carpet because of the false assumption that all Nigerians were
criminals.

According to the Independent Complaints Directorate 2011/2012 annual
report, 932 people died in police custody or as a result of police
action.

The Nigerian Union wants the death of 32-year-old Ugboaja to be
investigated and has opened a case at Cape Town Central police station.
While police said they were investigating his death, grief- stricken
Dyantyi, who met Ugboaja five years ago, remains in the dark about what
led to his death.

"I really don't know exactly what happened. They took me to the mortuary
where I found my husband dead. His mouth and neck were full of blood
and he had marks on his neck, like he had been held hard.

"They said he had overdosed on cocaine. He didn't even smoke
cigarettes."

Dyantyi said Ugboaja - who was a computer technician at First Coast
Technologies and had been living in South Africa for seven years - left
their Brooklyn home on the night of January 6 to meet friends in town.

She started worrying when he didn't come home and his phone went
unanswered. After notifying his brother, Dyantyi took their one-year-old
daughter to the police station where his car was parked.

But she was sent away with no answers.

"I waited for almost two-and-a-half hours. My baby was screaming. I
didn't even know he was dead. They didn't tell me," she said.

When she returned the next morning, she was taken to the mortuary.

"Next year at Easter we were supposed to go to Nigeria to marry. His
family is waiting. I don't work and I don't even know how we are going
to pay to bury him," she said.

Independent Police Investigative Directorate spokesman Moses Dlamini
said the matter was being investigated.

"If someone dies in police custody then we investigate," he said.

Azubuike Okparaugo, president of the Nigerian Union in the Western Cape,
said it was irrelevant whether Ugboaja had been rightfully arrested or
not.

"We were not marching to protest his innocence or his guilt. If he is
guilty take him to court and give him a maximum sentence. Police are not
the court of law," Okparaugo said, adding that the police conduct in
Ugboaja's death should be investigated.

Police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk said an inquest docket has been
opened into Ugboaja's death and the directorate was investigating the
case.
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2013/01/21/dream-wedding-plan-in-ruins-after-death-in-police-custody[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by strangest(m): 3:38pm On Jan 21, 2013
THATS HOW THEY KILLED lUCKY DUBE THINKING THAT HE WAS A NIGERIAN
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by solinho(m): 3:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
God will judge them all. Bloody racists
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
Revolva: Seems the dude was on a trip to carry cocaine from yankee to SA .. And he was caught ..and maltreated by the SA authourities
Do you not think a town in south Africa could be called Brooklyn. I don't like south Africa and south Africans though. They hate unskilled, semi skilled and skilled African migrants
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by otumfour(m): 4:06pm On Jan 21, 2013
Cusubaba: u ugly useless Ghana man. Senseless ape Bleep off from nairaland and go back to boring ghanaweb. I.D.I.O.T.

grin grin grin touched a nerve huh! cheesy

Compare my first post on this thread to urs and tell me who's senseless......ur an animal and allergic to the truth, ur mother masturbates to apes on the National Geographic channel, ur a pig, a black pig for that matter, stfu wit that fat nostrilled nose of urs(due to excessive inhalation of generator fumes grin grin) I piss on u, ur an ant to me, u live below me, u live in darkness, ur a disease, a boko member......anago'ba Kwasia kwa..... cheesy

Whew! Now that felt good wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by ROCKJ1(m): 4:07pm On Jan 21, 2013
He should have been given a fair hearing. They shouldn't have killed him. An autopsy should be done to ascertain the real cause of his death and the culprits brought to book. Nigerian government, its time to fight for your own.
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 21, 2013
This is so sad! It's stories like these that paint all South Africans as people who are intolerant towards foreigners, and its not like that. The problem with my people is ignorance and not being properly educated. Most of the time these violent acts are committed by those who are less educated and feel that government owes them something. Yes, truth be told SOME South Africans are lazy and expect handouts from government, while SOME foreigners work hard to make sure they live comfortably here. Xenophobic acts should never be justified! Africa belongs to all who live in it. Let's not be fooled by these artificial borders

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by morpheus24: 4:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
otumfour:

Compare my first post on this thread to urs and tell me who's senseless......ur an animal and allergic to the truth, ur mother masturbates to apes on the National Geographic channel, ur a pig, a black pig for that matter, stfu wit that fat nostrilled nose of urs(due to excessive inhalation of generator fumes grin grin) I piss on u, ur an ant to me, u live below me, u live in darkness, ur a disease, a boko member......anago'ba Kwasia kwa..... cheesy

Any Ghana man who endorses the killing of another man without due process of the law is a neanderthal!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 21, 2013
sweetcheecks: Moral of the story crime does not pay. undecided
all those people saying the guy commited crime, ori gbogbo yin ti daru lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Symphony007: 4:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
South african never siezes to remind the world of how they were oppressed during aparthied but now they're carrying out their own home grown aparthied against foreigners and especially their fellow africa's...by the hope i hope the nigerian high commision on south africa know that getting a full explanation on how this young man dies is one of the reason we pay them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Oluwaadajo(m): 4:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
jidewin:

March organisers, the Nigerian Union in the Western Cape and Frontline Africa, argued that Nigerians were being targeted for brutal treatment by the police. They said in most cases brutality was swept under the carpet because of the false assumption that all Nigerians were criminals./

What's else is there to be said ?
Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Luvlagos(f): 5:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
@ngwana.mobu you are so on point, it is extremely sad that has happened to the poor guy nobody should be treated like that, we all deserve to be treated fair. It paints a very bad pic of SA
But all Nigerians commenting here, have you ever asked your self should you ever have a chance of asking an average South African about Nigerians what will their answers be? Xenophobic
Attacks in most cases are carried out by uneducated South Africans & it's a pity that majority of Nigerians you see in SA are also not being great ambassador of Nigeria either, 90% of Nigerians in SA are doing nothing but hustling, if you go to Hillbrow , Kempton park you will see nothing but Nigerians selling drugs in broad daylight, when you drive through & you happen to slow down you will be amazed at how they start approaching your car, you will also be shocked that there are always police cars in the vicinity chatting to them & collecting bribe, if you go to Pretoria you get a lot of hard working honest Nigerians with boards hustling for clients for their Salons, lots who owns stores e.t.c And a few educated Nigerians who are professionals especially doctors, accountants, bankers are really trying to change the normal perception about an average Nigerian that South African are so used to see everywhere. Not everything you read & hear is true but it is irritating & embarrassing that 90%of the time when there is a drug bust, credit card fraud & scams it's always Nigerians involved. Nigerians are not the only nationality in SA but it just happens that those who are here are really not flying the green & white flag high, you have people from all the world, Africa but you will hardly hear anything bad about them, if you go to the airport cargo section you always see Nigerians sending coffins home & they will still be arguing about money right there, so my fellow Nigerians I hope you will understand why Nigerians are looked at that way in South Africa.
We have lots of good Nigerians & but the bad ones are outnumbering them in SA & that is the sad truth.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
That's the same thing that a South African would say to a Nigerian. So is it ok for us to be xenophobic to others but when others are xenophobic to us then it's a big problem? You could just ignore him.
Cusubaba: u ugly useless Ghana man. Senseless ape Bleep off from nairaland and go back to boring ghanaweb. I.D.I.O.T.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Obinna Ugboja Dead In South African Police Custody by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
do you know that the hate all foreigners including ghanaians too? do you know ghanaians too have been killed. smh wise up bru
otumfour:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South-Africa: The Worst Place To Live? / Truck Hit A Pole And Fell On A Taxi At Mushin Olosha Lagos (photos). / Petrol Tanker On Fire Along Deidei-zuba Expressway, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.