Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,508 members, 7,823,190 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse (26238 Views)

Family Of Dead Nigerian Nurse On The Run / Nigerian Nurse With Ebola Dead / Nigerian Nurse's Licence Withdrawn In Uk For Calling On Jesus For Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
prettyprettywow: Am currently in USA for my phd, my flat mate is about to start medical school. you can study medicine once you have a first degree in any field including music, basket weaving, engineering, political science etc. what matters is your mcat. so basically, the medical training here is 4 years plus residency and 3years of medical school for those going into family medicine. The only battle on ground is the nurse practioners going solo. that is the turf war going on now. so travel out first before talking. 6months nursing training is for certified nursing assistant program. nursing is a 4year bachelors degree program. If you wanna practice independently or own ur own practice, you go for nurse practitioner program (NP)or doctor of nursing practice program(DNP). Am just happy because everybody seem to mind their own here unlike nigeria where people are always trying to prove a point.

Keep giving your self hope. MCAT exams comprise of physics, chemistry and biology. Is that not the science foundation we are talking about. Morover medicine is even a phd course and residency can be up to 5 or 6 years for sugery, ENT and others. Nurse practitioners are working independently on primary health care for doctors shortage. Don't spill lies here. Success on ur PHD
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 09, 2013
prettyprettywow: Am currently in USA for my phd, my flat mate is about to start medical school. you can study medicine once you have a first degree in any field including music, basket weaving, engineering, political science etc. what matters is your mcat. so basically, the medical training here is 4 years plus residency and 3years of medical school for those going into family medicine. The only battle on ground is the nurse practioners going solo. that is the turf war going on now. so travel out first before talking. 6months nursing training is for certified nursing assistant program. nursing is a 4year bachelors degree program. If you wanna practice independently or own ur own practice, you go for nurse practitioner program (NP)or doctor of nursing practice program(DNP). Am just happy because everybody seem to mind their own here unlike nigeria where people are always trying to prove a point.

Keep giving your self hope. MCAT exams comprise of physics, chemistry and biology. Is that not the science foundation we are talking about. Morover medicine is even a postgraduate course and residency can be up to 5 or 6 years for sugery, ENT and others, you mentioned family medicine which is the shortest, I had to proof my transcripts before I could write step 1. The minimum education to be a practicing doctor there is 10yrs (first degree, medicine, residency) and a nurse 6months. Nurse practitioners are working independently on primary health care for doctors shortage but never in tertiary care. Don't spill lies here. Success on ur PHD
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by prettyprettywow: 10:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
dr_joshua2000:

Keep giving your self hope. MCAT exams comprise of physics, chemistry and biology. Is that not the science foundation we are talking about. Morover medicine is even a postgraduate course and residency can be up to 5 or 6 years for sugery, ENT and others, you mentioned family medicine which is the shortest, I had to proof my transcripts before I could write step 1. The minimum education to be a practicing doctor there is 10yrs (first degree, medicine, residency) and a nurse 6months. Nurse practitioners are working independently on primary health care for doctors shortage [b]but never in tertiary care[/b]. Don't spill lies here. Success on ur PHD
When I say first degree, I mean first degree and not pre-requisite. Every profession has what we call pre-requisite before you can get admitted. medicine, nursing, pharmacy etc all have their pre-requisite which you have to get before being admitted and they are mainly sciences. That is why most aspiring med students chose their first degree in science courses to help them meet with the pre-requisite and at the same time, get a degree. so it does not matter what your first degree is as long as you meet the pre-requisite. Mcat or pcat is like writing jamb to gain admission. you can pass it if you have basic knowledge of science in your high school and you study well with the materials. Like I said, travel well first before talking on issues you know nothing about. The main reason why medicine requires a first degree from students is because they need people to be mature before going into the program or making such decisions ,not some high school grad or 17year olds who may not be matured enough before making such decisions. Unlike naija where some parents force their wards to study some courses they have no interest in.

NB: nurse anesthetics who are also NPs also practice in tertiary institutions including paed NP, Psych NP, Acute care Np. And Guess what? some Docs prefer hiring them cos they are cheaper and we all know every business owner likes to make huge profit while spending less.
Family medicine practitioners are also docs but they prefer that specialty.
medicine is a post graduate degree in USA but not in naija why? yet you are comparing yourself to them.
every discipline has to show their transcript before practicing in another man's land.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by prettyprettywow: 10:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
dr_joshua2000: How does a non science student in US study medicine? Even as a doc I hv to pass all the steps of USMLE and then do residency before studying medicine [/b]there and [b]still show proof of studying medicine in my country to them. Nursing training will take me 6months of learning the procedures and taking the test. its actually tougher doing nursing in Nigeria though and their curriculum is much more solid now. No intention to beef anyone was just bothered about the anti-doc thread hiding under the guise of "challenges of the Nigerian nurse"! Thanks Lagusta but you'll see them in action soon, except you won't practice.
As a Nigerian Dr my dear, after passing your USMLE steps and getting spot for residency, you don't have to study medicine again. You become a US dr once you pass their exams and start residency. same with every other professional course that has licensing body. For a Nigerian nurse to practice in US, you also pass your NCLEX and show proof of studying nursing in your home country, that is why they have CGFNS which is a body that verifies licenses of foreign graduate of nursing schools.. So quit spewing trash. this thread is not about battle of supremacy, I don't know why you have to turn every thread to one.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:57am On Nov 10, 2013
@dr-josh,
sorry, hw old are you?
I need to ask cos honestly ur reasoning isnt all that.
U keep running in circles.
Iv sed all u needed to knw to u in d oda thread.
May God av mercy on u.
Get shame a litle na?
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by prettyprettywow: 1:24am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by JoannaSedley(f): 2:31am On Nov 10, 2013
^your answers are soo on point, professional and depicting a sound mind. Thanks.
Hope that egocentric doctor will do a research for once in his lifetime.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 10, 2013
prettyprettywow: What are you insinuating? and what did you say to me in other thread? I have a feeling this statement is not for me.
on my!
Sorry.
I quoted wrongly.
My apologies
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 10, 2013
#me@:
@dr-josh,
sorry, hw old are you?
I need to ask cos honestly ur reasoning isnt all that.
U keep running in circles.
Iv sed all u needed to knw to u in d oda thread.
May God av mercy on u.
Get shame a litle na?

Amen! God have mercy on you too. The truth is probably bitter.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Mamacita007(f): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2013
Doctors vs nurses argument. the same thing even in other healthcare forums. well soon i'll become an anesthetist. those of you that have made in here in US & naija should encourage others in healthcare abeg. studying for a healthcare degree is stressful enough
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Bhanjea: 10:05am On Aug 26, 2015
Lagusta:

Thanx for the clarification

...I know this is an outdated topic,but I just want to make some comments; I happens to study medicine in nigeria while my wife studied Nursing( diploma), we applied for skilled migration visa to Australia,on getting there I was giving the biggest shock of my life...My wife got licensed almost 3months on getting there because they believe her nursing programme can be easily adapted to that in Australia,while ME ( a medical doctor in nigeria) has to undergo an additional 20months study in a medical school there...when I was in Nigeria,I do share most of the pro-medicine commentators ideology,but in the real sense,Nigeria nurses(esp diploma) are highly respected in Aussie than Nigeria medical doctors....I finished my programme and I still need to work for another 2yrs before I could be recognised as an australia medical doctor....So sheath your swords,doctors and nurses and work together with other health teams because. wat I av learnt is dat,u can be d best doctor in the world,if there is no one to carry on your work (administering the necessary nursing care),then the higher the mortality you record,the faster you are going down.....

3 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Lagusta(m): 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2015
Bhanjea:
...I know this is an outdated topic,but I just want to make some comments; I happens to study medicine in nigeria while my wife studied Nursing( diploma), we applied for skilled migration visa to Australia,on getting there I was giving the biggest shock of my life...My wife got licensed almost 3months on getting there because they believe her nursing programme can be easily adapted to that in Australia,while ME ( a medical doctor in nigeria) has to undergo an additional 20months study in a medical school there...when I was in Nigeria,I do share most of the pro-medicine commentators ideology,but in the real sense,Nigeria nurses(esp diploma) are highly respected in Aussie than Nigeria medical doctors....I finished my programme and I still need to work for another 2yrs before I could be recognised as an australia medical doctor....So sheath your swords,doctors and nurses and work together with other health teams because. wat I av learnt is dat,u can be d best doctor in the world,if there is no one to carry on your work (administering the necessary nursing care),then the higher the mortality you record,the faster you are going down.....

Nice submission....

I have even noticed that with buhari back on track, we aren't hearing anything from NMA/JOHESU again....

And what you said may be true, for the simple reason being that your wife has a diploma, I'm sure she can't be at par with graduate nurses over there, so there would be less scrutiny...

But you sir, as a doctor, have to undergo a fresh training, because medicine in the tropics is totally different from medicine in the western world, which I'm sure you know....

And you'll be exposed to state of the art gadgets and equipment, unlike the archaic broken-down toys we use here....

But once again, nice submission
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by okitejoseph: 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2015
Nursing Profession: The Challenges To Its Sustainable Development In Nigeria

Culled from Jinadu, M.K (2014). A key note address, Nursing is one of the health care profession in Nigeria. In Nigeria, nursing practice, nursing education and nursing research are faced by certain issues and challenges.

According to Jinadu, M.K (2014) he achor the theoretical underpinning of his address on the issue of power and empowerment in Nursing as the primary concern of related concern the issue of boundary of nursing professional practice.

The reason for this as we know is quite obvious. Our concerns about nursing as a profession, particularly in Nigeria have always revolved around the degree or amount of power that nurses have over their profession, compared with other health care professionals. This concern arises from a common observation that nurses are often ineffective and powerless within the health care delivery system and organizations in which they work. They are usually at the bottom of the pecking order. More specifically, policy decisions concerning nursing job situations are often taken without their involvement. When they are involved, their opinions/views rarely count on major issues. As a result of their powerlessness, there are often dissatisfied with their jobs; they suffer from burnt-out syndrome, and a good number of them leave the profession for more prestigious jobs or greener pastures.

http://www.prestarticles.com/nursing-profession-challenges-sustainable-development-nigeria/

The Nollywood image of a nurse which portrays her as a handmaid or servant of a doctor reinforces this powerlessness in the eyes of the public. Concerns over the boundary of nursing have always been on issues regarding the eroachment into nursing functions by other health professionals and the needs to expand nursing functions.

http://www.prestarticles.com/importance-cleanliness-case-study-soaps-detergents/

http://www.prestarticles.com/nutritional-assessment-wild-farmed-tilapia-zilli/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Ebola Isolation Centre In Kuje, Abuja (Pictures) / Unidentified Man Dies In A Commercial Bus In Kano (Photos) / Can Ampiclox Be Used To Prevent Pregnancy After Unprotected Sex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.