Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse (26242 Views)

Family Of Dead Nigerian Nurse On The Run / Nigerian Nurse With Ebola Dead / Nigerian Nurse's Licence Withdrawn In Uk For Calling On Jesus For Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 23, 2013
@ rofemiguwa

I understand you, but with all due respect, that is what they were trained for! for someone to be a qualified nurse, she/he has to be trained and acquire some skills/knowledge on how to attend to patients/victims even in a tsunami events. no excuses!
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Lagusta(m): 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
I may have no right to comment here since I am still a med student, but I believe we all have to work together to make the patient get better, that's our primary aim!!!

Fighting over supremacy won't help matters at all...

I can remember while I was doing my pediatrics posting... A child was convulsing in the ward, the house officer on call went out (maybe to eat) but the head nurse just withdrew the anticonvulsant (don't wanna mention it for ethical reasons) gave it IM and that was it, baby was stabilized... Of course we were like, WOOOW, A NURSE DID THAT

There are good doctors, bad doctors, good nurses, bad politicians, touts, love peddlers, its WHO we are that matters, not WHAT we are...

And please nobody should mention those auxiliary goons as nurses...

7 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by claremont(m): 11:37pm On Jan 23, 2013
the planmaker:
Secondly, not all the "nurses" you see are actually nurses expecially in private hospitals many of them are quacks trained by doctors illegally to damage the image of our beloved profession so you could refer to them as "semi educated savages" if you like.
They are Healthcare assistants/technicians.

No one deserves to be called "semi-educated savages". Since you can support the use of this phrase, I wonder what names you would use in ridiculing your patients behind their back. I'm shocked to my bone marrow that a supposedly highly-trained Nurse would support a reference to Healthcare assistants/technicians as semi-educated savages.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jan 23, 2013
Nurse:
I respect them a lot, they're always at the fore front with the patients. If a nurse is not too good at what she does, then the Doctor on call should be ready to have a messed up time.
On the other hand, if you meet the cruel ones, you'll not like their profession. Nurses in my school health centre don't bloody care if you're dying, because they won't attend to you until they're done with their food or some other silly things. While I see this as something very bad and unethical, I wouldn't blame them too much because most of the patients they attend too don't really appreciate their service, the government is not appreciating them too (In terms of wages).

Doctors:
I don't know why most of those guys think they are the one in charge, actually they're not, earlier on this thread i read somebody's comment about the doctor doing the brain work, (that comment breaks my heart). Doctors are not adding any value to the medical profession (at least the ones that are not into research). A very good nurse can always kick any doctor's azz any day any time, A physician assistant will function as a doctor on any given occasion.
I don't like it when they receive the glory that is supposed to be shared by all health professionals!
The above comment about doctors doesn't mean i don't respect them, I do respect them alot, because without their help, all medical research and findings wouldn't get to the reach of our people. But what I demand from them is that they should acknowledge those that are helping them to have a successful day at work.

From what i observed, this attitude is peculiar to Nigeria doctors alone, as I was opportuned to read Dr. Ben Carson's book "Think Big" He actually appreciate everybody's effort in the successful separation of the sesamese twins, from the surgical nurse even to his secretary.

Pharmacists are doing a great deal of work too......
Public Health Officers.
Medical Laboratory Scientist.
Biochemist.
Physiologist.
Anatomist.
Therapists.
E.t.c.

4 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by bigfat01: 11:38pm On Jan 23, 2013
YUP VERY CHALLENGING

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Itoroetti(m): 11:38pm On Jan 23, 2013
Prettychyna: @dr9ce,you don't have to compare because we don't do the same work, so you don't expect the hours to be the same. you insinuated that we don't work as much as you do by comparing the hours,and I was trying to let you know that we don't do the same thing so there should be no basis for comparison. Mind you,most of your colleagues complain about our roaster,don't even know why they should poke nose in other people's affair in the first place.
D way u reply to dis dr just prove how arrogant nurses are.I remember my mum telling me dat when wanted to give birth to me,a particular nurse shouted at her in dis manner,"why don't u die and go" dis occur during that period.we all know that u people are arrogant
Thanks
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
Lagusta: I may have no right to comment here since I am still a med student, but I believe we all have to work together to make the patient get better, that's our primary aim!!!

Fighting over supremacy won't help matters at all...

I can remember while I was doing my pediatrics posting... A child was convulsing in the ward, the house officer on call went out (maybe to eat) but the head nurse just withdrew the anticonvulsant (don't wanna mention it for ethical reasons) gave it IM and that was it, baby was stabilized... Of course we were like, WOOOW, A NURSE DID THAT

There are good doctors, bad doctors, good nurses, bad politicians, touts, love peddlers, its WHO we are that matters, not WHAT we are...

And please nobody should mention those auxiliary goons as nurses...

I love your post, but mind you, not everyone in that profession is like you. there are people who enter nursing/med school not because they care and want to save lives but because the profession is said to be lucrative. i once witnessed a scenario where a doctor was demanding N180,000 to come to his hospital at night to assist in a complicated child delivery. the woman(patient) later died but the child was brought out. in other countries, a doctor would proudly save the lives of both the baby and the mother without demanding for N180,000.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by sainty2k3(m): 11:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
@op ur post was to respond to a previous article which u believe has wrongly accussed nigeria nurses of been unprofessional.... I don't know why u end up attacking the Doctors.
If what u want to discuss is doctor vs nurses then open another trend.
What is happening here is one of the reason why our health sector has not developed more than this...

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by jpphilips(m): 11:45pm On Jan 23, 2013
chibyboy: Doctors and nurses

I thought they are romantically involved, why the bashing?
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 23, 2013
claremont:
They are Healthcare assistants/technicians.

No one deserves to be called "semi-educated savages". Since you can support the use of this phrase, I wonder what names you would use in ridiculing your patients behind their back. I'm shocked to my bone marrow that a supposedly highly-trained Nurse would support a reference to Healthcare assistants/technicians as semi-educated savages.

my dear, to each, his/her opinion. 2weeks ago, i was in a hospital in Lagos to visit a sick friend, to my greatest surprise, a nurse was shouting at a waiting patient for vomiting inside the hospital arena. she later threaten that the sick patient should clean the vomit. but people there reacted angrily towards the nurse before she clean the vomit. to me, such a nurse is totally a semi educated savage.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by armadeo(m): 11:47pm On Jan 23, 2013
Doctors doctors doctors. Are they thAt bad. If u now ur role in the medical team u'll know u aren't been ordered around or oppressed or whatever.
And Y for God's sake would a doctor be angry when the pharmacist corrects a prescription some times they are over worked . It happened to me and the doc went with me to thank him cos he knew his job unlike some clowns whom would just dispense it.
For that dude who wants to be treated by a physicians assistant or a very good nurse I wish u all the best. U never know when a single variable changes everything that's the doctors JOB and the doctor is trained to note those variables. u'll land back to him when ur assistant has bleeped u up.

3 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 23, 2013
jp philips:

I thought they are romantically involved, why the bashing?
Only in Hollywood Movies
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 23, 2013
armadeo:
For that dude who wants to be treated by a physicians assistant I wish u all the best. U never know when a single variable changes everything that's the doctors JOB and u'll land back to him when ur assistant has bleeped u up.
Is this part referring to me? If yes then i think you must have misunderstood the adjective "Physician Assistant" In my post, that adjective refers to well trained personnel, not the quack you see around in private hospitals. Check "Physician assistant" on Google to see what they do in developed country.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus:
Is this part referring to me? If yes then i think you must have misunderstood the adjective "Physician Assistant" In my post, that adjective refers to well trained personnel, not the quack you see around in private hospitals. Check "Physician assistant" on Google to see what they do in developed country.

good point, am currently in southafrica, just yesterday on our way home after the ivory cost match, a guy was hit by a vehicle, you can't imagine the kind of well equipped emergency medical van that arrived within minutes with medical teams, the guy was treated like a president even though he only sustained minor injuries.
and i asked myself, in nigeria we would have to take a taxi to a hospital where we would buy a card before anybody can attend to us. SMH!

3 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Lagusta(m): 12:07am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus:
Only in Hollywood Movies

Guy are you a learner

Don't you know that the doctor-nurse relationship is at both extremes: its either they are toooooooo close or they are very very very very far apart!!!
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by okoomoge2(m): 12:09am On Jan 24, 2013
So

4 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 24, 2013
Emmm...if you fall under the nurse ELIZA group, no need to comment on this topic, just sit, read and learn! ok? undecided

Now back to topic...

Nigerian Doctors and Nurses, pls tell us where the problem lies! smiley
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:12am On Jan 24, 2013
AVWENAGHA: the same applies to the pharmacist,doctors makes alot of blunders when they are writing prescription,and wen the pharmacist rectify such errors they are usually angry,to hell with doctors for all i care,i blame naija poor org for this

What kind of blunders?
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Lagusta(m): 12:14am On Jan 24, 2013
991:

I love your post, but mind you, not everyone in that profession is like you. there are people who enter nursing/med school not because they care and want to save lives but because the profession is said to be lucrative. i once witnessed a scenario where a doctor was demanding N180,000 to come to his hospital at night to assist in a complicated child delivery. the woman(patient) later died but the child was brought out. in other countries, a doctor would proudly save the lives of both the baby and the mother without demanding for N180,000.

My brother, poverty has encroached into our minds to the extent that money is now a demi-god in this country....

I am not surprised, in fact the scenario you highlighted is even a tip of the ice-berg compared to what I have seen..

I know a very big private hospital in lagos (name witheld) that collects nothing less than 150k as deposit for any illness like malaria, typhoid, etc... If it were to be the case of obstructed labour as above nko Going to millions abi

But I don't blame them, shebi na the country wey we dey... Corruption, ignorance, poverty, now terrorism, kidnapping, and hooliganism in all zones...

NAIJA I HAIL THEE!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 24, 2013
Lagusta:

Guy are you a learner

Don't you know that the doctor-nurse relationship is at both extremes: its either they are toooooooo close or they are very very very very far apart!!!

Am indeed a Learner...lol, I used to think such things don't exist in real lifey ni.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Lagusta(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus:
Am indeed a Learner...lol, I used to think such things don't exist in real lifey ni.

L̃̾Õ☺Õ̾Ô=Dcheesy=))winkÕÔ☺ÔÕ̾L̃̾!!!!

Yes, nurses can lash their tongues, be rude etc but nurses are one of the best in bedmatics, I don't even know whether they are given special training in that or...

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:26am On Jan 24, 2013
It really baffles me to see the extreme of ignorance or jealousy or both being displayed by some folks.
Some doctors are arrogant, VERY TRUE, but anyone saying doctors' work can be done by other health professionals not trained for such is a murderer and should be arrested.

3 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 24, 2013
silent don: @post, It really baffles me to see the extreme of ignorance or jealousy or both being displayed by some folks.
Some doctors are arrogant, VERY TRUE, but anyone saying doctors' work can be done by other health professionals not trained for such is a murderer and should be arrested.

So true, but so far, I haven't read a comment that says "doctor's work should be done by people that are not trained in such aspect"

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by beautifulOnyi: 12:46am On Jan 24, 2013
While I appreciate nurses, I believe one can state their point without bringing down another profession. I'm a doctor and I can proudly say that:
1) Nurses do not work as hard as doctors. They work an average of 6-8hrs daily, because they run 3-4 shifts per day. Doctors on the other hand work an average of 10-24hrs daily. Doctors run 24hrs -72hrs calls.

2) Issue of strike: when doctors go on strike, they are more merciful. They may not admit new patients, but they still take care of the patients they admitted before the strike. Nurses are ruthless when it comes to strike. They don't show up at all. They leave doctors to do their work, which we do without much effort because truth be told, the work of a nurse requires little or no brain work, zero IQ. A primary school child can do a nurses work. No pun intended

3) Education: it takes 3yrs to be a nurse. It requires no university degree (bsc nursing is a recent development). It is not a profession for intelligent people. Really what do nurses do? Document, clean poo, make beds, hang IV fliuds, take instructions from doctors, shout on patients, nag nag nag, quarrel about 'days off'

Ps: the above concerns Nigerian nurses who should change their stupid attitudes and learn to accept and live with the fact that the doctor is the HEAD of the health team and always knows better.

Now, nurses abroad....a different ball game, pls nigerian nurses should learn from them.

4 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:51am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus:

So true, but so far, I haven't read a comment that says "doctor's work should be done by people that are not trained in such aspect"
adeaugustus:
Doctors:
I don't know why most of those guys think they are the one in charge, actually they're not, earlier on this thread i read somebody's comment about the doctor doing the brain work, (that comment breaks my heart). Doctors are not adding any value to the medical profession (at least the ones that are not into research). A very good nurse can always kick any doctor's azz any day any time, A physician assistant will function as a doctor on any given occasion.
I don't like it when they receive the glory that is supposed to be shared by all health professionals!

Sir, without need for further explanation or analysis, U DID.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 24, 2013
beautiful Onyi:
learn to accept and live with the fact that the doctor is the HEAD of the health team and always knows better

So wrong!

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 24, 2013
silent don:

Sir, without need for further explanation or analysis, U DID.
Physician Assistant are trained for such purpose sir. You used the term "Untrained" in your previous comment.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by nnedozie22: 1:00am On Jan 24, 2013
[quote author=adeaugustus]Nurse:
I respect them a lot, they're always at the fore front with the patients. If a nurse is not too good at what she does, then the Doctor on call should be ready to have a messed up time.
On the other hand, if you meet the cruel ones, you'll not like their profession. Nurses in my school health centre don't bloody care if you're dying, because they won't attend to you until they're done with their food or some other silly things. While I see this as something very bad and unethical, I wouldn't blame them too much because most of the patients they attend too don't really appreciate their service, the government is not appreciating them too (In terms of wages).

Doctors:
The above comment about doctors doesn't mean i don't respect them, I do respect them alot, because without their help, all medical research and findings wouldn't get to the reach of our people. But what I demand from them is that they should acknowledge those that are helping them to have a successful day at work.

From what i observed, this attitude is peculiar to Nigeria doctors alone, as I was opportuned to read Dr. Ben Carson's book "Think Big" He actually appreciate everybody's effort in the successful separation of the sesamese twins, from the surgical nurse even to his secretary.

Public Health Officers.
Biochemist.
Physiologist.
Anatomist.
Therapists.
E.t.c.

Your observation is spot on my dear. I am a registered nurse trained in Nigeria, worked for a couple of years In Nigeria before traveling outside the country. Everything about Nigeria sometimes seems to be done the other way around. Drs and Nurses are always going for each others' jugular in the name of fighting for superiority. This is sometimes at the expense of the patient(s),then i felt i was in the wrong profession as the people that are supposed to be working together don't even get along, nurses are constantly humiliated by some doctors who feel that they are everything in the field. I personally did not have any problem with any doctor because i believe we should all get along and also i make friends with almost everybody in order to make my work easier. For that was an advise i received from a good friend in the profession, which has been my guiding principle even in foreign lands. When i traveled out, i experienced a totally different work environment where everyone starting from the cleaner up to the hospital administrator have cordial relationship at least most of the times because we have people that are incorrigible everywhere. You can easily ask a doctor to hand you something in the unit if you are busy or cannot leave the patient's bedside at the moment. Doctors with many qualifications are so humble to the extent that they can even share their lunch with a cleaner in the hospital. This arrogance is not peculiar to people in the health care professional in Nigeria but it cuts across all professions in our society(Nigeria). My advice to everyone is 'team work' and the work load will be much easier as no one person can handle a patient seeing that we are already overworked, why add more to your burden. Doctors treat your nurses well because they are human beings first, Nurses respect doctors so that you will be able to discuss patient's care together, don't forget you are patients advocate. Make the work environment favorable for your own good. This is just my one cent

6 Likes

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by jumpmasta(m): 1:04am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus: Nurse:

Doctors:

Public Health Officers.
Biochemist.
Physiologist.
Anatomist.
Therapists.
E.t.c.

This one is obviously a disoriented paramedic...typical inferiority complex embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus:
Physician Assistant are trained for such purpose sir. You used the term "Untrained" in your previous comment.

They are not trained to do the work of doctors else they should be doctors, but as their names imply they are assistants. Sir, The difference is clear (7UP).

And keeping a date with place, time and their reality, we are in Nigeria and the post and discussion are w.r.t Nigeria. So talking about Physician Assistants is out of place Cox, I'm yet to meet any in Nigeria.
Re: The Challenges Of Being A Nigerian Nurse by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 24, 2013
adeaugustus:

They are not trained to do the work of doctors else they should be doctors, but as their name implies, they are assistants. Sir, The difference is clear (7UP).

And keeping a date with place, time and their reality, we are in Nigeria and the post and discussion are w.r.t Nigeria. So talking about Physician Assistants is out of place Coz, I'm yet to meet any in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unidentified Man Dies In A Commercial Bus In Kano (Photos) / Can Ampiclox Be Used To Prevent Pregnancy After Unprotected Sex? / Liberia Gives Available Doses Of Zmapp Three African Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.