Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,225 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America (8639 Views)

220,000 Nigerians Apply For U.S. Visa In 2014 – U.S. Embassy / How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by BayoAdex(m): 6:31am On Jan 22, 2013
Good morning Nairalanders and thanks all for ur wonderful time here. Pls I will need u guys/ladies to assist me here. I currently have a visiting visa to d US (B1/B2 category) and someone told me it is possible to change the status of the visa to student in d USA. Meanwhile the person does not ve a clue how she can help bt told me she has heard it done b4 in d US. Pls I will like people that ve either done this before or that ve heard or can be of help to comment on this. I will greatly appreciate all suggestions. Thanks and God bless everyone. God bless nairaland
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 22, 2013
Bayo Adex: Good morning Nairalanders and thanks all for ur wonderful time here. Pls I will need u guys/ladies to assist me here. I currently have a visiting visa to d US (B1/B2 category) and someone told me it is possible to change the status of the visa to student in d USA. Meanwhile the person does not ve a clue how she can help bt told me she has heard it done b4 in d US. Pls I will like people that ve either done this before or that ve heard or can be of help to comment on this. I will greatly appreciate all suggestions. Thanks and God bless everyone. God bless nairaland
it will b difficult changing your status in the Us except through marriage, your b1/b2 visa must remain all tru your stay in the US because it is a tourist or visiting visa.
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by redcliff: 9:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
hello, I think its possible but firstly, you would have to talk to someone in the school you are willing to attend. Maybe a professor in the department you wish to belong. These people have influencing powers and that can be of help to you in changing your visa status. I am not saying they would be the ones to change it, but through them and with the help of the school they can put out good words to the embassy or whatever authority thats responsible for the change. They are powerful like that...
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by justwise(m): 10:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
Bayo Adex: Good morning Nairalanders and thanks all for ur wonderful time here. Pls I will need u guys/ladies to assist me here. I currently have a visiting visa to d US (B1/B2 category) and someone told me it is possible to change the status of the visa to student in d USA. Meanwhile the person does not ve a clue how she can help bt told me she has heard it done b4 in d US. Pls I will like people that ve either done this before or that ve heard or can be of help to comment on this. I will greatly appreciate all suggestions. Thanks and God bless everyone. God bless nairaland

If its possible then nobody will be applying for student visa from Nigeria, one will just travel to US with visiting visa then convert to student visa.

Even if the most powerful professor in the world writes the embassy you will still be asked to return to your home country to apply for student visa then re-enter.

1 Like

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 23, 2013
justwise:

If its possible then nobody will be applying for student visa from Nigeria, one will just travel to US with visiting visa then convert to student visa.

Even if the most powerful professor in the world writes the embassy you will still be asked to return to your home country to apply for student visa then re-enter.

1000% possible. It is done here everyday.

3 Likes

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 23, 2013

It is very possible to do that. All you need to do is go to the Admission Department of the University to fill application for admission and talk to the Admission Counsellor/Advisor. The admission Counsellor/Advisor should be able to give you acceptance letter if you demonstrate you have the financial ability to pay for your education. After proving your financial capabilty to pay your tuition, the Admission Counsellor will issue what is call Form I-20 which will then be forwarded to Homeland Security/Customs, Enforcement and Immigration Services for change of Status from your B1/B2 Visa to F1 Students Visa. It takes only 21 days to process.

This has been done by a lot of Nigerians while I was in school. I have seen it done many times. I have seen Nigerian in their 40s did this just to remain in U.S because it is the easiest ways for many people to study or remain in the U.S.

3 Likes

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by justwise(m): 1:40am On Jan 23, 2013
@op,

Don't take my word for it, ask this question here and get the opinion of students who is either in US or applying to study here https://www.nairaland.com/994108/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part3
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by optimusprime2(m): 8:53am On Jan 23, 2013
@OP
its very possible, but the ease of the process Largely depends upon these factors
1: Which state you are(cuz some states in the US have Lenient immigrant laws)
2: What school you are applying to(no be community college or unknown school wey fit pull that kind stunt)
but its very very very possible-@least I know people who did it

2 Likes

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Gbenge77(m): 1:23am On Jan 24, 2013
Although the legal way to study in the US is to enter on an F1 visa,this can also be done,and PAYLESS has outlined the process.In fact,Several students have done it successfully.The most important thing here is that YOU HAVE TO CONVINCE THE DHS THAT YOU DID NOT ENTER WITH A PRE CONCEIVED INTENT TO STUDY,AND YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS AFTER 60 DAYS OF ENTERING THE US.(That is called the 30/60 day rule by the STATE DEPARTMENT).If you attempt to change your status(from b2 to f1) within 60 days,it would be concluded that you had a pre conceived intent to study in the US,leading to the denial of your application and subsequent deportation for VISA FRAUD(immigration officials do not take kindly to this).YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO PAY FOR YOUR EDUCATION AS WELL.Its just like getting married on a B2 visa,like some folks do.In this case also,the 30/60 days rule applies .

1 Like

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Gbenge77(m): 1:50am On Jan 24, 2013
justwise:

.Incorrect.ThE scenario you are trying to paint only happens if you one gets married on a B2 visa.In this case,one departs the US after getting married and applies for a K1 VISA from abroad.In the other scenario,in which a Us citizen spouse files a petition with the USCIS after marriage,you must not leave the US Until your petition is approved or denied.In some cases,an intending student could travel to the US with a B2 visa,bearing a "student intent sign".In this case,the applicant intends to audition in a number of schools before applying to whichever that selects him
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by BayoAdex(m): 3:37pm On Mar 03, 2013
Big thanks to everyone I appreciate ur sincere contributions. @ Mr Gbenge now pls I need u on this: I plan to visit d US again in a week or two to file for change of status and start my student life, however, concerning d 30/60 rule ie stayin in america for 2 months before filling so as not to arouse suspicion of pre conceived motives: how I'm I sure the immigratn officer at d border to interview me on purpose and all won't jst give me a duration of stayin for just 2 weeks or a month? Wat do u think I can tell d entry clearance officer I'm comin to do I the US that can make him/ her grant me a long stay of 2 months or more so as to perfectly (and in a problem free manner) change my status. All other contributions are welcome. Thanks all.
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Nobody: 2:42am On Mar 04, 2013
Book your flight to come-in through JFK, New York or EWR, New Jersey. Make sure you book refundable return ticket. You get refund for your ticket when you get to U.S. You will be in trouble if you book one way ticket because it would be suspicious if you book one way ticket. Tell the officer you are here to do some shopping. Don't come in through Atlanta or any other airport.

3 Likes

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by BayoAdex(m): 10:56pm On Mar 05, 2013
Thanks Payless appreciate ur time. I plan to come in through Houston on united airline. Also, pls how do u think I can convince the ECO. So he cn grant me like 1 month to 2 months stay. And. Also any other suggestions for help is welcome. Thanks
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by optimusprime2(m): 1:30am On Mar 06, 2013
Bayo Adex: Thanks Payless appreciate ur time. I plan to come in through Houston on united airline. Also, pls how do u think I can convince the ECO. So he cn grant me like 1 month to 2 months stay. And. Also any other suggestions for help is welcome. Thanks
Haba naw, no fall my hands... There are many excuses you can cookup to get up to 2months...
1- you could say you are part of a wedding that would take place next month so you gonna help ur cousin arrange the Itenary...
2- you'd be attending a graduation party, you did'nt know it would be later next month, so you rushed in quite early.
3- Your cousins wife is due to deliver sometime in April, you dont know when, but you'll wait all the way, cuz you came to Name the Baby (African custom bla bla) ....
Bros excuses are just flying in

5 Likes

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by BayoAdex(m): 8:50pm On Mar 09, 2013
Thanks appreciate ur reply. But please is it enough to tell d ECO @ port of entry that I'm in d US for 2 months Easter/annual vacation, of course I'll back it up wit a letter from my company. Can they refuse me entry based solely on this? Just curious. pls bt I will appreciate replies. Thank you

1 Like

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by joe02(m): 3:07pm On Mar 10, 2013

Hello,I will like to know how u got ur visa and what are the experience u pass thru ....did u pay agent or u do it urself ?

1 Like

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by joxiri: 9:11pm On Mar 10, 2013
"@bayo the Eco gives u 6 months stay as soon as u arrive at any us airport provided you are on a 2 yrs b1/b2 visiting visa so I don't need him to give u time, he gives u a white card which they take back when u re returning that's what shows when u arrived in order for them to prove if you have overstayed or not

1 Like

Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by kingzeed: 5:25am On Jul 22, 2013
Hello team, pls I have a serious problem, but am sure my brothers here will solf it for me,I have a plan to study in the united state so I took GRE score 305 and toefl 69,doe I haven't started applying to any school yet, hoping that I will re-write my toefl to get a beta score, but the company where I work decide to send me on training in texas,they gave me all neccesary doc, and my salary is cool,also I'm married with a kid, the interview went well but I guess is not my lucky day, I was denied, the company ask me to re-apply again, pls hope this won't affect the chances of me getting a F1 visa in feature, cos my dream is to study abroad..
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Arextex(m): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
Actually, the duration of stay on a B1/B2 is at the discretion of the IO. Though you are almost guaranteed a 6 months stay after being inspected at the POE, but sometimes a lesser duration could be given on your I-94 even after you have given the reason for your visit. I have been given just 2weeks, despite me having longer than 2years visa
... And yes you can change your status but the determining factor is your financial capability and timing.
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 23, 2013
kingzeed: Hello team, pls I have a serious problem, but am sure my brothers here will solf it for me,I have a plan to study in the united state so I took GRE score 305 and toefl 69,doe I haven't started applying to any school yet, hoping that I will re-write my toefl to get a beta score, but the company where I work decide to send me on training in texas,they gave me all neccesary doc, and my salary is cool,also I'm married with a kid, the interview went well but I guess is not my lucky day, I was denied, the company ask me to re-apply again, pls hope this won't affect the chances of me getting a F1 visa in feature, cos my dream is to study abroad..

Lol.. This guy u stubborn o. After just wise close ur thread.. U sha find way to pour otapiapia in another mans ice cream.. Ehn
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by sholeria: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
/Good morning all,

please i a 2yrs visiting visa to US and my passport will expire July next yr ie 2016. Can i renew my passport in the Nigeria embassy in the US?
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by itstpia8: 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2016
BayoAdex:
Good morning Nairalanders and thanks all for ur wonderful time here. Pls I will need u guys/ladies to assist me here. I currently have a visiting visa to d US (B1/B2 category) and someone told me it is possible to change the status of the visa to student in d USA. Meanwhile the person does not ve a clue how she can help bt told me she has heard it done b4 in d US. Pls I will like people that ve either done this before or that ve heard or can be of help to comment on this. I will greatly appreciate all suggestions. Thanks and God bless everyone. God bless nairaland

they changed all that but i could be wrong.
Re: About Goint To School With Visiting Visa In America by itstpia8: 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2016
sholeria:
/Good morning all,

please i a 2yrs visiting visa to US and my passport will expire July next yr ie 2016. Can i renew my passport in the Nigeria embassy in the US?

contact the embassy and ask them.

or check the website.

you can also simply get a new passport before you leave Nigeria or wherever you're located.

or get an extension on your current passport. If for security reasons (visa in passport), you dont want to do that, then visit the embassy and ask.

(1) (Reply)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / What Transport Company (in Benin City) Can One Use To Get To Ado-Ekiti? / Certifying Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.