Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,198 members, 7,953,730 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:30 AM

SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. (6526 Views)

Amina Mohammed Inspects Delta Forcados Oil Spill (Photos) / I Have More To Say, Fayose Shouldn’t Force Me To Spill All –aluko / See What Some Streets In Lagos Look Like After Heavy Rainfall (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 2:06pm On Jan 23, 2013
In other to stop modern day slavery, more than 700 employees of Spanco BPO Ltd have spilled out into the streets of Ibadan, in a bid to show there displeasure of the poor working conditions and subsequent manhandling of its colleagues by security members of the University of Ibadan. On the 21nd of January an employee fainted and was not attended to for over 30mins, she was also later asked to pay her hospital bills even though a health scheme is in place.
The issue led to a downing of tools on the 22nd, all effort to speak with the management has proved abortive. Today, the 23nd, employees resumed as usual to be assaulted by the security agents of the University of Ibadan on the instruction of the Top management of Spanco Nig.

Spanco BPO Services Ltd, is an Indian company which runs the customer care services of Airtel a sister Indian company.
In 2011, Airtel had a similar run in with employees over work conditions.
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 2:53pm On Jan 23, 2013
In front of Radio Nigeria............Ibadan.

Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 2:57pm On Jan 23, 2013
Aluta.......

Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 3:00pm On Jan 23, 2013
More pics soon...:.....
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 4:52pm On Jan 23, 2013
Spanco BPO, Kingsway Dugbe, Ibadan.
(Airtel Customer Services Provider)
This is to notify the general public that the above mentioned Organization has been in the culture of exploiting young and healthy Nigerians of their vibrant skills and knowledge in the name of providing customer services in the telecom sector of our country, whereby these young people(male and female) are being subjected to a working duration of 8hours(called logon duration) daily, excluding their brief break time, under a very harsh condition, with frequent records of casualties during working hours, all in the name of customer services, and end up going home at the end of the month with a token of N35, 000. Amongst these young Nigerian are Graduates, MSc. Holders, both married and single status. Yesterday being the 22nd day of January, 2013 these young individuals decided to cry out owing to an incidence which occurred during a working hours, where a call center agent by name Bamidele collapsed due to ventilation issue within the call center, and afterwards taken to the hospital and the representative of the management(HR rep) insisted she pays for the bill herself, whereby they had assured these young Nigerians of their health services provision with designated clinics/hospitals within Ibadan environs, where the agents later confirmed that Spanco BPO has not in anyway contacted these health centers for any health services provision. But the truth is that who will fight for them? Where is NCC and NLC? to mention but few. I need you to know that this pain of earning a living that these young Nigerians are going through might affect you one way or the other, so why don't we join them to fight against what we tagged as 'Modern Slavery' in the Nigerian Labour Market. There are clips(both motions and still) showing the level of suffering these youths are going through. Their protest is still on. Parents and Fellow Youths, we need your voice and strength at this time like never before. Kindly BC
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by Samdul: 7:16pm On Jan 23, 2013
dis guys close down its operations in abuja because staff were demanding 4 better package.dy tookover d cc after zain left,dy were managing it 4 airtel,immediately dy came on board,dy increased number of working hrs,increased wrking days,sacked some pregnant women,d worst is dy initiatd a move 2 reduce salaries by mo dan 50% .d agents resisted dis moves wch eventuallu led 2 d closure of d callcenter(it was movd 2 ibadan),nd dy eventually achievd dos demands dat were nt met in abj.
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 7:23pm On Jan 23, 2013
Samdul: dis guys close down its operations in abuja because staff were demanding 4 better package.dy tookover d cc after zain left,dy were managing it 4 airtel,immediately dy came on board,dy increased number of working hrs,increased wrking days,sacked some pregnant women,d worst is dy initiatd a move 2 reduce salaries by mo dan 50% .d agents resisted dis moves wch eventuallu led 2 d closure of d callcenter(it was movd 2 ibadan),nd dy eventually achievd dos demands dat were nt met in abj.

However, it has been shutdown till further notice for now!
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by rodeo0070(m): 6:44am On Jan 24, 2013
Samdul: dis guys close down its operations in abuja because staff were demanding 4 better package.dy tookover d cc after zain left,dy were managing it 4 airtel,immediately dy came on board,dy increased number of working hrs,increased wrking days,sacked some pregnant women,d worst is dy initiatd a move 2 reduce salaries by mo dan 50% .d agents resisted dis moves wch eventuallu led 2 d closure of d callcenter(it was movd 2 ibadan),nd dy eventually achievd dos demands dat were nt met in abj.

That's Indian company for you.
Indians, Lebanese, Japanese, Chinese, Koreans etc all of them are birds of a feather...
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by CROWE: 8:07am On Jan 24, 2013
rodeo0070:
That's Indian company for you.
Indians, Lebanese, Japanese, Chinese, Koreans etc all of them are birds of a feather...

lol, I personally would not say that, what exactly do you mean? Other than the fact they are all Asian of course.
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by rodeo0070(m): 3:05pm On Jan 24, 2013
CROWÉ:

lol, I personally would not say that, what exactly do you mean? Other than the fact they are all Asian of course.
They are the worst employers anybody hopes to get...
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 6:18pm On Jan 24, 2013
The day Nigeria will get better is the day, our Youth will wake up when they are being oppressed and stand for what is right! I saw things today.....
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by rodeo0070(m): 6:45pm On Jan 24, 2013
LeJeun3: The day Nigeria will get better is the day, our Youth will wake up when they are being oppressed and stand for what is right! I saw things today.....
I couldn't agree more...
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by LeJeun3: 7:04am On Jan 26, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/772269/sad-story-airtel-slave-yards
gatekepper: Everything that has been said on this thread about the telecommunications company AIRTEL and their so called "technical partners" (SPANCO BPO and TECH MAHINDRA) has been so true. These guys claim to run successful businesses in other parts of the world won’t they? They claimed that at the time they were prospecting for business opportunities in Nigeria they had been told that Nigerians on a scale of 1-10; (10 being the highest) that Nigerians had an IQ level of between 2- 3 percent. It was obviously on this assumption that these partners took up businesses in Nigeria.

This is a company that runs its business exceeding the stipulated expertrate quota; where Nigerians are moved out of certain key positions to make room for a “Deepak or a Pranab” from India. Most of which are here not having the appropriate immigration document that enables them to work in Nigeria. It is a sorry sight to see Senior Nigerian Immigrations Officers (I would choose to withhold names and photo proof for now) come to collect settlements at the end of each month from these Indians instead of carrying out their statutory functions of rooting these illegal aliens out of our country. At this rate who is to say that these technical partners remit taxes deducted from staff salaries to the federal Inland revenue service (FIRS).

These so called technical partners SPANCO AND TECH MAHINDRA decided to circumvent the ideals of the National youth service scheme (NYSC) trying to use the scheme as a steady source of cheap labour to run their daily operations at the expense of those they choose to employ.

In times like this one may ask where our is Government?

The Indians seek to circumvent everything in this country and we Nigerians do not help the situation This is a company having a very wealthy and influential Oba on its governing board. Sad really, really Sad,

As if these issues where not enough they now choose to shut down there businesses when staff do not agree to certain demeaning work conditions.

1. No one can accrue more than or go on more than 6 days annual leave.
2. Work six(6) days a week for 8 hours per day.
3. Accept a 60% salary deduction.
4. Accept a 50% staff downsizing.
5. No incentives

just to mention a few

This I must say is rather disheartening on the heels of which most staff got text messages telling them not to bother about work that their services where no longer required!!!!!

I am at a loss for words to express how must people here must feel at this time. I do believe say God dey!!!!!
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by rodeo0070(m): 10:03pm On Jan 26, 2013
LeJeun3: https://www.nairaland.com/772269/sad-story-airtel-slave-yards

I've worked for 12 hours in a day, 6 days a week, An annual leave i don't dare to embark on for the fear of not been sacked/replaced permanently by another person, No shift, No incentive, Salary reduction @ any slightest mistake. etc

But of course, I don't blame them, its our Government and we people that i blame.
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by Jakuta(m): 5:30pm On Oct 14, 2013
Guys, sorry o. This is really an adv modern day slavery.
Re: SPANCO BPO Services Ltd Employees Spill Into The Streets........in Ibadan. by ifyalways(f): 5:59pm On Oct 14, 2013
NLC and TUC are busy in Abuja chasing GMG's.

I feel sorry for the Nigerian graduate

(1) (Reply)

Ihedioha Calls For Establishment Of Medical Research Fund, Task Resident Doctors / “leave Innocent Biafrans, Meet Me In Sambisa Forest” Shekau Challenges Soldiers / There Is No Division In Supreme Court, We Remain A United Institution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.