Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls (5752 Views)

How Rivers Senators Plan To Pull Amaechi Down At Screening / Akinwunmi Ambode Causes A Stir At The Malls / SSS Warned Abuja Malls About Possible Terror Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 2:35pm On Jan 24, 2013
Well time will tell if this is of value or not. I think that if people who have money in his state end upo going abroad or to Lagos and Abuja to spend their money, then this is a good thing.

It is not the only thing to be done, but if it helps to stem any money which is being made in his state, from being spend outside, then its not bad is it?

Maybe it will attract attention from retail companies looking to expand or enter the Nigerian market......at the moment they only know Lagos and Abuja.

In terms of roads etc he addressed it at the end of the piece....he said "We have the resources to aggressively execute and complete the many projects, including road projects we are working on.”
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by ChyV(f): 2:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
ow11: Is it the government's duty to build malls or roads to the malls?

so roads is the only thng u knw?
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by MrGlobe(m): 2:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
Sunehri_145: Its only fools that compare Obi with Ngige! Many of Anambrians are political blind....
Kudos to Obi even if only to manage political crisis that have been destroying Anambra state since it creation.
The only people that's complaining about Obi is people from Anambra West, who blindly voted for UBA family, that's why Peter Obi can not do wonder in his enemies back yard. Ask people from Anambra North and central and they ll tell you that Obi is a messiah
Go to Enugu- Onitsha and see things by your self
N:B let Ngige come out and win his erection free and fair because the last time i checked it was Uba family that forced him to Anambrains
please shut up. Nobody is talking good about Peter obi in the whole of Anambra, every body is jeje waiting for his tenure to end like a curse. Tell us one remarkable project Peter Fraud Obi has delivered in 8 years. Peter obi is unfit for governance. Anambra people value Ngige's 3 yrs more than obi's 8. And you must be foolish for proudly telling us obi did not do anything in Anambra west because they supported his opponent
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by talktimi(m): 2:48pm On Jan 24, 2013
Is he a learner ? Why not a recreational park or something where people can relax and have fun. Abeg if the donkey doesn't know what to do with money he should just give me for 5 years only
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 2:59pm On Jan 24, 2013
talktimi: Is he a learner ? Why not a recreational park or something where people can relax and have fun. Abeg if the donkey doesn't know what to do with money he should just give me for 5 years only

So, let me get this straight, you feel that parks are MORE important than malls, in this state and at this particular time in it's history?

Or is that that you feel malls and parks can not be created at the same time?

I fail to see how recreational parks will employ as many people as malls, or engage suppliers in the state in any meaningful way.

Could you please explain to me how recreational parks are a better investment of money in this state at this time please?

1 Like

Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Niseamaka(m): 3:15pm On Jan 24, 2013
chinedum45: He built the Anambra state teaching hospital awka...GO TO IGBARIAM CAMPUS OF ANSU AND SEE THINGS URSELF.
he might nt have built roads in towns but he has built roads to ensure that all communities in Anambra have access.
Anambra never had public buildings but hire and pay landlords....go and find out, his excellency has built most of the important public building so the govt doesnt need to pay rents anymore. I only blame him for not working in towns like Onitsha and nnewi as he ought to so as to get more praises. But believe me Peter Obi is trying.

Pls what`s the big deal about Igbariam campus of ANSU?. I recently drove through that road, dropped off some students who flagged me down for a lift at the main entrance. The road from the express junction to the school was terrible. The premises itself looked like the high school i attended decades ago. I wondered then why our young boys and girls were dumped in this very rural enviroment with pathetic infractructural facilities in the name of university education.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 3:39pm On Jan 24, 2013
[size=18pt]PETER OBI KINDLY TELL US WHERE THE 50 DEAD BODIES CAME FROM, BEFORE ENTICING US WITH DEVELOPMENT TALK? WE ARE NOT GOING TO FORGET.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by manny4life(m): 3:43pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner:

So, let me get this straight, you feel that parks are MORE important than malls, in this state and at this particular time in it's history?

I fail to see how recreational parks will employ as many people as malls, or engage suppliers in the state in any meaningful way.

Could you please explain to me how recreational parks are a better investment of money in this state at this time please?

Depending on how you view it, recreational centers can make more money than malls. Then again, it's like comparing apples for oranges.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by talktimi(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner:

its quite simple, shopping malls are for private individuals to build and operate, these individuals could be single or in groups while if the state govt really wanted to utilize such parcel of land, a market or multi storey parking lot with meter readings could have been constructed there this idea of shopping mall is just completely ridiculous Anambra has a lot of multi millionaires who can involve themselves in such petty ventures without govt busy body...
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by slimfit1(m): 5:30pm On Jan 24, 2013
Idi Amin: I cnt wait 4 Obi to leave offic, he is a failure

You mean your people voted this man in again after 4 years of failed promises you gave him another 4 year term blame yourselves.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 5:52pm On Jan 24, 2013
talktimi: its quite simple, shopping malls are for private individuals to build and operate, these individuals could be single or in groups while if the state govt really wanted to utilize such parcel of land, a market or multi storey parking lot with meter readings could have been constructed there this idea of shopping mall is just completely ridiculous Anambra has a lot of multi millionaires who can involve themselves in such petty ventures without govt busy body...

Oh so what you are saying is that people generally spend more money on parking, than they do in the shops they park up to visit? Seriously, dude....lol.

Even if the government does not get involved (which I quite agree with) I find it hard to believe that a shopping mall will generate less money and less employment and business (and a range of), than a recreational park or parking lot. Please explain to me how this is so, and where it is so elsewhere. the only park that can rival the taking of a mall imo, is an amusement park.

If someone in Anambra is having to take their "billions" to another state or travel to South Africa, Dubai or London, simply because those goods are not readily available to the same standard of SETTING in Anambra state, then the malls are needed.

There is no shortage of markets....there is a shortage of malls, the type of malls these millionaires are visiting abroad and in places like Lagos or Abuja.

They will have to be staffed and stocked, which may give opportunity for the people of the state.

By the way.....If you look at your original post, you were not saying that malls should be built, without gov involvement, you were saying that the money should instead be spend on a recreational parks for people to "enjoy themselves". You are yet to answer my query about that assertion though.

You have not told me how that would be of more benefit than a mall.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 5:59pm On Jan 24, 2013
manny4life:

Depending on how you view it, recreational centers can make more money than malls. Then again, it's like comparing apples for oranges.

What do you mean?

Do you mean of you view it like a "mall like" situation where people can sell food and wears/products?

Do you mean like how business owners do in a MALL /SHOPPING CENTRE?

If I am not understanding you, please elaborate in certain and practical terms, so that I can better understand where you are coming from....thanks
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by manny4life(m): 6:16pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner:

What do you mean?

Do you mean of you view it like a "mall like" situation where people can sell food and wears/products?

Do you mean like how business owners do in a MALL /SHOPPING CENTRE?

If I am not understanding you, please elaborate in certain and practical terms, so that I can better understand where you are coming from....thanks

A mall is a mall regardless of whatever you sell in it.

If Gov. Obi builds a mall say with a rental space of 100,000 sq at $15 - $20 per sq annually (which is expensive), then that's a $2million annual revenue. This is a revenue regardless of whether the occupants sell jack or not.

Given the same scenario, a recreational park that is opened for all, kinda like how disney operates, you buy tickets to take a ride (not expensive at all), a daily average of 1,000 people will equal about 300,000 annually. Compared that to an average ticket for $15, you see the math. So with my long story,

1. Size. If both are supposedly big (using a 100,000 sq space), park will generate more money further for the govt than the mall.

2. Revenues. If both were to explore aggressive marketing potentials based upon their size, malls are limited but parks can always alternate. Revenue stream is endless. Ask Disney how they start.

3. Labor. It is no doubt that parks tend to hire more people per sq.ft than malls. An person is hired at 1 per 100sq ft, so that gives a mall about 1,000 employees which is seirously next to impossible since most store owners just have one employee. However with parks, the list is endless ... Studies have shown that park, recreational centers and what have you tend to have more people (safety wise) than your average retail or mall outlet.

I mean the list is endless depending on how you view it.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by talktimi(m): 6:32pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner:

Oh so what you are saying is that people generally spend more money on parking, than they do in the shops they park up to visit? Seriously, dude....lol.

Even if the government does not get involved (which I quite agree with) I find it hard to believe that a shopping mall will generate less money and less employment and business (and a range of), than a recreational park or parking lot. Please explain to me how this is so, and where it is so elsewhere. the only park that can rival the taking of a mall imo, is an amusement park.

If someone in Anambra is having to take their "billions" to another state or travel to South Africa, Dubai or London, simply because those goods are not readily available to the same standard of SETTING in Anambra state, then the malls are needed.

There is no shortage of markets....there is a shortage of malls, the type of malls these millionaires are visiting abroad and in places like Lagos or Abuja.

They will have to be staffed and stocked, which may give opportunity for the people of the state.

By the way.....If you look at your original post, you were not saying that malls should be built, without gov involvement, you were saying that the money should instead be spend on a recreational parks for people to "enjoy themselves". You are yet to answer my query about that assertion though.

You have not told me how that would be of more benefit than a mall.
in my first post I wasn't really interested in revenue or employment although there's nothing a state or fed govt will be involved with that won't create employment all I'm saying is a shopping mall is too petty for an entire state govt to meddle with since there are more important things to do with space/land, why I made emphasis on recreational parks is because anytime we travel abroad people who visit these parks make comments like our govt no get sense o, why dem no fit do this one for us. Its not everytime we sling everything to revenue. The long and short is shopping malls is a project too petty for any state govt in my opinion
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 6:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
^^^^Manny4life, 1000 people each day?

Do people go to recreational parks every day?

If someone has to pay per square footage, as you said it is annual revenue....come rain or shine, even if it is half the cost you quoted.

That is not even counting the type of luxury goods and usual entertainment experiences that can be incorporated, from movie theatres to fast food joints etc.

My point is that, if the wealthy classes of Anambra exist, they should not be forced to look elsewhere to spend.......the people who are ordinary working people and the state, should be able to benefit directly from their spending habits.

I don't see why places like Lagos and Abuja, should be the only options in Nigeria for these wealthy people or even further London or South Africa etc.

The only point I agree with to an extent is that the government should not be so close to the building or ownership of those malls.

The malls are needed imo.

In terms of employment in recreational parks versus malls, does it not depend on the type and size of the mall and what type of businesses they house?

In terms of you figures are you talking about the Nigerian reality or the western one, in terms of how many people are employed in a recreational park?
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 6:41pm On Jan 24, 2013
@talktimi .....we have to agree to disagree on that one.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by manny4life(m): 6:49pm On Jan 24, 2013
londoner: ^^^^Manny4life, 1000 people each day?

Do people go to recreational parks every day?

If someone has to pay per square footage, as you said it is annual revenue....come rain or shine, even if it is half the cost you quoted.

That is not even counting the type of luxury goods and usual entertainment experiences that can be incorporated, from movie theatres to fast food joints etc.

My point is that, if the wealthy classes of Anambra exist, they should not be forced to look elsewhere to spend.......the people who are ordinary working people and the state, should be able to benefit directly from their spending habits.

I don't see why places like Lagos and Abuja, should be the only options in Nigeria for these wealthy people or even further London or South Africa etc.

The only point I agree with to an extent is that the government should not be so close to the building or ownership of those malls.

The malls are needed imo.

In terms of employment in recreational parks versus malls, does it not depend on the type and size of the mall and what type of businesses they house?

In terms of you figures are you talking about the Nigerian reality or the western one, in terms of how many people are employed in a recreational park?

That you don't go to park everyday doesn't mean people don't --- FACT.

Kids in schools, high schools, etc take recreational trip all the time, that's why I said marketing potentials. The way you sell your goods, is same way people will price/buy it. Malls were new to Nigeria until investors started in them, same will apply to parks.. They have parks in Lagos that people patronize, it all depends on how you approach the business.

Exactly!. The rental revenue is unchanged but it's directly related to the number of folks who rent the space. If your occupancy rates changes, revenue will change ultimately.

Every business has it's own advantage. Large parks have auditoriums that serve as movie theaters, they have concession stores. This is why I said let's leave everything and just focus on the space and revenue first. Parks have theaters, concession stores (food, convenience), some even have exhibits, some have train rides, and the list is endless.

I've not disputed mall isn't a good thing, what I said, if you put things into perspective based upon different scenarios, one can be better than the other. Lagos and Abuja are good for what they want, was it not last week that I saw was it Akwa Ibom or Delta planning a recreational park for millions of $$$?

Exactly! Location, size, types etc depends largely on their components. Take for instance, Disney today is largest employer in Fl and the largest "SINGLE" employer in the United States.

Reality doesn't ask you whether it's west or Nigerian. If people hurt themselves or even get killed due to negligence, what do you that results to? Low patronage or even kills the business. SAFETY is no 1 in Recreation.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by aduboy(m): 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2013
Visionless and blind leader who has refused to invest on education and leaders of tomorrow. He deserves to be cursed.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by AnitaMandy: 7:12pm On Jan 24, 2013
Symphony007: Yeah, keep building malls cause that's where the average "mama nkechi" or "papa bornboy" will go shopping for their food. Please governour, rather use that money to produce water for your people so they'll stop drinking from streams, address the erosion peopls so people won't continue loosing their lands. Leave mall building for the private sector, develop your populace and when they've got money to spend malls will flood your state.
Everyone knows that Anambra is not a poor state and Anambrians are not poor either, so what exactly is your point? As for using stream water Anambra is not the only state that the villagers does so. Where i served in Ekiti state the villagers use the stream for everything, they will wash, drink and swim in it.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 8:02pm On Jan 24, 2013
@Manny4life, I was clearly querying the number of 1000.....not that people go to recreation parks daily....lol

I also don't follow your logic of what you are saying, you mean the government should not build malls, but they should build a Disney Land? I do t get why one is inappropriate but the other is not....

Lagos and Abuja are better for what they want because those are the only two places known for malls in Nigeria, it is not wrong for other states to have their own shopping malls/experiences is it?

I see no reason why Lagos and Abuja should be the only states to get the benefit of the wealthy of Anambra (if that be the case), due to lack of comparative shopping malls in Anambra.

People should spend where they are....it goes without saying that it is a benefit to Anambra if its wealthy classes spend their money there.

This a country and there needs to be more than two places where the rich can shop. If the rich classes in Anambra state have to say, travel to Lagos, Abuja or Dubai and spend money there.....how does that benefit Anambra? Please tell me?

1 Like

Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by cupid4ig(m): 9:08pm On Jan 24, 2013
Mr. Globe:

He's merely trying to save his face. AFTER 8 YEARS OF NOTHING AND NO WORK, HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW HE WILL FACE THE PEOPLE WHEN HE LEAVES GOVT HOUSE. AND NO REMARKABLE PROJECT THAT WILL BE SEEN AS HIS LEGACY IN 8 YEARS. HE IS TRYING TO PULL STUNTS. SAME OLE INFERIOR PROJECTS.
thank u my brother look at how dirty onisha is even a whole awada is in a sorry state cry
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 24, 2013
cool
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Symphony007: 11:55pm On Jan 24, 2013
AnitaMandy:
Everyone knows that Anambra is not a poor state and Anambrians are not poor either, so what exactly is your point? As for using stream water Anambra is not the only state that the villagers does so. Where i served in Ekiti state the villagers use the stream for everything, they will wash, drink and swim in it.
so because it happens in other places, the government should allow people to continue living as their ancestors did? And if anambra is a rich state where people are willing to spend money, the government does'nt need to build malls, they'll troop in like they're doing in lagos, port harcourt and abuja.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Symphony007: 12:02am On Jan 25, 2013
ROSSIKE:

They HAVE got money to spend. Wait till the mall opens and see if you'll find parking space there.

As for basic infrastructure like water etc, nothing stops him from tackling such issues even as he uogrades the state's retail sector through the support of mall building. Malls generate employment internally and externally. The average mall needs thousands of companies and individuals providing it services and support, as well as supplies. Malls boost economic activity.
do malls take a backseat to basic aminities like water and roads? You claim that when it's built there will be no parking space, i refer you to tinapa in calabar and ibom tropicana in uyo and see what is becoming of it. This governour should get his priority right, he can create more and better jobs through road construction, tackling erosion and providing water for it's people. When last did the governments of lagos and rivers state build malls?sad
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 25, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: [size=18pt]PETER OBI KINDLY TELL US WHERE THE 50 DEAD BODIES CAME FROM, BEFORE ENTICING US WITH DEVELOPMENT TALK? WE ARE NOT GOING TO FORGET.[/size]

May be from Okija
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by londoner: 4:54am On Jan 25, 2013
Symphony007: do malls take a backseat to basic aminities like water and roads? You claim that when it's built there will be no parking space, i refer you to tinapa in calabar and ibom tropicana in uyo and see what is becoming of it. This governour should get his priority right, he can create more and better jobs through road construction, tackling erosion and providing water for it's people. When last did the governments of lagos and rivers state build malls?sad

What about the new shoprite mall......(Enugu, I believe)

People are attesting to the fact that the ques in the checkouts are so long, because people are spending serious cash there.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by aiyofaa: 8:09am On Jan 25, 2013
iboo pipu
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Ebubejesus(m): 10:02am On Jan 25, 2013
Mr. Globe:

He's merely trying to save his face. AFTER 8 YEARS OF NOTHING AND NO WORK, HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW HE WILL FACE THE PEOPLE WHEN HE LEAVES GOVT HOUSE. AND NO REMARKABLE PROJECT THAT WILL BE SEEN AS HIS LEGACY IN 8 YEARS. HE IS TRYING TO PULL STUNTS. SAME OLE INFERIOR PROJECTS.
Mr Globe shut your mouth if you dont know what to say. how can you say that the man has not been doing anything from his first year in office? where are you from? and dont speak the mind of Anambraians. if you like call me names because i know that is what you will resort to. thank you
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by aduboy(m): 10:07am On Jan 25, 2013
There is no need to encourage the building of futher shopping malls/market when the bedrock of development of any society is in complete shambles. For those that are close to this governor, they need to advice him properly for his great state has no future. God to the below thread and tell if any shopping mall is needed to be built with state funds. www.nairaland.com/1173644/horrible-state-public-schools-anambra
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by Ebubejesus(m): 10:14am On Jan 25, 2013
talktimi: its quite simple, shopping malls are for private individuals to build and operate, these individuals could be single or in groups while if the state govt really wanted to utilize such parcel of land, a market or multi storey parking lot with meter readings could have been constructed there this idea of shopping mall is just completely ridiculous Anambra has a lot of multi millionaires who can involve themselves in such petty ventures without govt busy body...
Go and render that ur idea to your western governors. We are proud of our governor Peter Obi the best of Governers that Anambra has ever produced. Take it or Leave it. I was Born and brought up in Onitsha and lived to for almost all my years, so you cant speak on our behalf and you dont kow what we have gone through before he came into power.
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by devour129: 10:14am On Jan 25, 2013
Proxytalk:
why are u commiting such a fallacy or are u typing for fun. No governor of anambra has done up to 30% of what obi has done may be what he is doing is not what u want to see . but ur re not beta than emeka anyaoku okonjo iweala and min of nat. planning that has rated him among best in development indices or go and check the meaning of the word 'development' its not jst putting street light
okonjo and emeka dont live in anambra so they cant tell us about what people there are going through
Re: Obi Announces Plan To Build Malls by KENESAGA(m): 10:37am On Jan 25, 2013
blater500: After bulding your own in Abuja.Government deceive pikin.
DID HE BUILT IT WITH YOUR MONEY, OBI IS A BIG BOY RIGHT FROM TIME, FORMER CHIRMAN FIDELITY BANK, SO HE CAN'T DO BIZ AGAIN JUST BCUZ HE IS A GOVERNOR.NONSENSE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News!!! Massive Explosion In Umuahia / Atiku Has Lost The 2019 Elections / KATSINA PRESIDENCY RESULTS: Buhari Buries Atiku!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.