Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! (15810 Views)

BBM for iPhone and Android is officially available / Best Websites To Download Hd Symbian Games And Apps? / What's An Android Phone Capable Of That A Nokia Symbian Phone Is Not (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by jereal(m): 3:56pm On Jan 24, 2013
We all knew this was eventually coming, but it's now official. Symbian on Nokia is dead.

Nokia managed to send off the once might platform in style. The 808 PureView will go down in
history as the last Symbian device by the Finnish manufacturer.

Nokia announced the news alongside its great Q4 results today, which showed $585 million profit and $10.83 billion in revenue.

Symbian OS on Nokia devices has played a key part in the smartphone game over the past ten years, but its significance was
severely reduced once the touchscreen revolution started. Some of the most notable phones to come out of Nokia were powered by Symbian - beginning with the 9210 Communicator. The Nokia E61 started a messenger phone hype that peaked with the E71, making Symbian OS the only viable competitor to the then strong BlackBerry portfolio of messengers.

Then came the cameraphone era, which gave birth to devices like the Nokia N95 , which was widely regarded as the king of the smartphone hill in its day. The Nokia N8 came at a time when Symbian was rapidly sliding into irrelevancy but still made a huge splash among camera-lovers with its large sensor and superb image quality. Heck we loved snapping photos with it and it's still the most popular smartphone in our database with over 25 million hits.

Nokia began a shift towards Windows Phone in the beginning of 2011 and starting now Redmond's mobile OS is Nokia's only smartphone platform.

www.gsmarena.com/the_808_pureview_is_the_last_symbian_by_nokia_an_end_of_an_era-news-5400.php

It was a great run...RIP Symbian

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Oahray: 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2013
Okay...

1 Like

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Francheezy(m): 4:23pm On Jan 24, 2013
R.!.P
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 24, 2013
Wow.
Is this really true? I will really miss symbian OS when it is gonesad. I have been with symbian for years now. We grew up together and had lots of fun times. It was there during my ups and downs and served as a companion during times of boredom.
Learned how to hack and tweak with it, discovered countless badass applications.
Oh well.
I just have to move onto another OS now.
Symbian is going out of fashion. sad

12 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by abrahym(m): 4:58pm On Jan 24, 2013
good development by nokia
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by ITbomb(m): 5:01pm On Jan 24, 2013
What I loved about Symbian was excess applications. You could virtually put anything just like Windows OS, that is why I love their eventual marriage
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Mayowura: 5:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
Eya!
So symbian's era is gone.... Well, hoping to see upcoming smartphone from nokia thatz if they gona stil manufacture.
Cos nokia iz so lovely!

1 Like

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by ITbomb(m): 5:47pm On Jan 24, 2013
Mayowura: Eya!
So symbian's era is gone.... Well, hoping to see upcoming smartphone from nokia thatz if they gona stil manufacture.
Cos nokia iz so lovely!
Fi no hia bout da almightia Nokia 'ALUMINA'
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 24, 2013
It was bound for extinction sooner than later
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by pekelepekele(m): 10:01pm On Jan 24, 2013
na them palava how he take affect my touch light nokia phone

2 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Israel5(m): 10:02pm On Jan 24, 2013
ali i know, simbi i know but wtf is symbia kini? anyways, up nokia..knock wel sha

1 Like

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Wendyslim(f): 10:04pm On Jan 24, 2013
Nokia all the way
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by bigfat01: 10:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
[size=15pt]blackberry finally kill dem ...[/size]

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
Are you speaking Greek here or Latin?
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by uzeba(m): 10:08pm On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 24, 2013
Symbian and pc suite, the OS and program that earned me some cool cash in my uni days. I wish Nokia could move on to Android just like I did some years ago, then I would divorce my HTC with immediate effect.

3 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by decode55(m): 10:09pm On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by majour(m): 10:10pm On Jan 24, 2013
started from the den n70 down to n72 to n73 to n95 to n96 now using the n97, lord ive lived a symbian life, now that life is bin taken away from me.
Its time to swim with the andriod platform, bt nt until am tired of my n97 it still rocks like crazy

RIP SYMBIAN OS

3 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by iamswizz(m): 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2013
Who uses nokia these days... #I repGalaxy s3

1 Like

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Onyenna(m): 10:12pm On Jan 24, 2013
...Long overdue....
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by purplekayc(m): 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2013
whats the reason for this ?
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by StarFlux: 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2013
Never liked Symbian, not even in its younger days.

2 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by antontech(m): 10:18pm On Jan 24, 2013
Can i create a wireless network to be used by friends and my pc with these windows fone?,i doubt it.i hv to go and by more symbian now

2 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by StarFlux: 10:23pm On Jan 24, 2013
antontech: Can i create a wireless network to be used by friends and my pc with these windows fone?,i doubt it.i hv to go and by more symbian now
I know for certain you can do it on Android.

1 Like

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Dermie: 10:26pm On Jan 24, 2013
Oh!...Symbian is dead.
R.I.Ps!
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2013
I remember all those sis file, smart movie etc........android rock now.

1 Like

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by walesho(m): 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2013
i love my Nokia C7 symbian os but if only i can play my pes 2011 HD game on Samsung galaxy III or Nokia Lumia 920 and install joikus spot, explore and asphalt 6 adrenaline i will drop my nokia C7 symbian

6 Likes

Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by iBukas: 10:32pm On Jan 24, 2013
We are in new tech world, so RIP Symbian
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by KINGwax(m): 10:32pm On Jan 24, 2013
can i cry now?
That's my love u wanna stop producin
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 24, 2013
Jarus: Are you speaking Greek here or Latin?
Spanish.
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by falansa: 10:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
To be sincere, i really love Nokia phone... Especially d symbian version but we all kno its overdue n dey need to start producing smartphones like android or window phones dats when dey can really compete wit BB, SAMSUNG, SONY, HTC n others now. Wish them best of luck
Re: Nokia's Symbian Is Officially Dead...!!! by reindeer: 10:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
Not a tech wizard like most guys here but after using and getting tired of an iphone,i decided to try the Nokia lumia 920. It's been 2months and i haven't regretted it one bit!
I think the windows 8 phone version is really nice.so bye to symbian!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facebook Free Basics In Nigeria Launched In Partnership With Airtel / Photos From Infinix Note 5 Stylus Mall Activation In Lagos / The Return Of The Cheap Airtel Night Unlimited Data Plans In Different Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.