Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion (9550 Views)

How GEJ's Airport Shuttles Weaken Abuja Security, Endanger Residents / Poll: Doyin Okupe Predicts How GEJ Will Win Presidential Election / How GEJ Will Win On Saturday Foretold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by citizenisb: 6:28am On Jan 25, 2013
A former Vice President (Africa), World Bank, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, has said the Umaru Yar’Adua and President Goodluck Jonathan administrations need to tell Nigerians how they spent the $45bn left in the foreign reserves account and $22bn in the Excess Crude Account by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo administration.

Ezekwesili, who was a former Minister of Solid Minerals and Education under Obasanjo, said at the convocation lecture of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, on Thursday, that Nigerians had lost dignity because of ravaging poverty arising from poor choices of the elite, corruption and lack of investment in education.

Noting that the country had enjoyed five cycles of oil boom, she decried the failure to convert oil income to renewable assets through training of human capital, development of other sectors and investment in foreign assets as other resource-rich countries did with their oil income.

Ezekwesili, a founding director of Transparency International, said, “The present cycle of boom of the 2010s is, however, much more vexing than the other four that happened in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

“This is because we are still caught up in it and it is more egregious than the other periods in revealing that we learned absolutely nothing from the previous massive failures.”

The former minister lamented the “squandering of the significant sum of $45bn in the foreign reserves account and another $22bn in the Excess Crude Account being direct savings from increased earnings from oil that the Obasanjo administration handed over to the successor government in 2007.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/ezekwesili-queries-how-yaradua-jonathan-spent-67bn/

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by citizenisb: 6:30am On Jan 25, 2013
One cannot but ask what exactly does symbolise with this level of brazen misappropriation of public resources? Where did all that money go?

“Where is the accountability for the use of both these resources and the additional several hundred dollars realised from oil sale by the two administrations that have governed our nation in the last five years? How were these resources applied, or more appropriately misapplied? Tragic choices.”

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by braine(m): 6:30am On Jan 25, 2013
The money is probably scattered all over the world in different banks; some might have been used in GEJ's campaign and the remaining for 2015; or Yaradua took it all to heaven. kiss

6 Likes

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by takedat(m): 7:29am On Jan 25, 2013
The tragedy of a Nation led by grossly underweight; light-minded and lightfingered Squander Maniacs.
No wonder Jona refused to declare his assets.

The blame should be on OBJ for foisting the two on Nigerians!

8 Likes

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Akshow: 7:31am On Jan 25, 2013
Pls leave yar adua's name out of this shait pls. He publicly declared his asset. Whatever turai choose to do during his ill health should not be his fault. Beside, we all know that the real thief is Oga jona

4 Likes

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by nedu2000(m): 7:48am On Jan 25, 2013
Ezekwesili is saying all these 'cause she's И̣̣̣̥o longer in government,if she was she won't say all these......she's И̣̣̣̥o different,who doesn't know that funds are being squandered everyday

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by miiraaj: 7:50am On Jan 25, 2013
Oga Jona should be asked about the money,although I know his response will be "I don't give a damn".

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by fkaz(m): 8:02am On Jan 25, 2013
Ask now, they will say the money was spent on power

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Adurangba(f): 9:13am On Jan 25, 2013
OP. I thought you were going to tell us how the money was spent. Your title was not a question, or was it?
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Jan 25, 2013
Oby Ezekwesili is now with ACN / CPC, she is not being truthful grin grin

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Goldenheart(m): 9:42am On Jan 25, 2013
hmmm...
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by feelamong(m): 9:44am On Jan 25, 2013
If una talk too much, Oga Jona go set up another committee to find the money o!

me i no go say anything before them say na Buhari ask me to talk... mumu govt!

2 Likes

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by pulel(f): 9:45am On Jan 25, 2013
nedu2000: Ezekwesili is saying all these 'cause she's И̣̣̣̥o longer in government,if she was she won't say all these......she's И̣̣̣̥o different,who doesn't know that funds are being squandered everyday
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by pulel(f): 9:45am On Jan 25, 2013
nedu2000: Ezekwesili is saying all these 'cause she's И̣̣̣̥o longer in government,if she was she won't say all these......she's И̣̣̣̥o different,who doesn't know that funds are being squandered everyday

My mind exactly.
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 25, 2013
yes, ask patience and turai, they know better.
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by takedat(m): 9:49am On Jan 25, 2013
Demdem: Oby Ezekwesili is now with ACN / CPC, she is not being truthful grin grin
Why are you politicising the matter now? Are you also trying to embarrass the good government of GEJ? Is it because he is from the minority? Na Buhari send you or the cabal? Waiting for Okupe to reply you! Lol
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Youngzedd(m): 9:56am On Jan 25, 2013
So Naija get this huge amount of dollars, but eventually every kobo disappeared just like that under Jona/Yara.

They must tell us what they did with the money.
Jona must surely give a damn.

Jona go huge transformer we dey presidential villa.

Hey where is my calculator let me convert the hard currency into Naira asap.
Aah the thing pass my calculator ooo.., imagine money wey my calculator no fit calculate two dudes just squandered within some years.

Nevertheless, Obj my senior man, thumps up. Jona thumps down.
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 25, 2013
but Oby Ezekwesili was part of the repressive government, where was her voice then?
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by ujchief(m): 10:07am On Jan 25, 2013
Fresh breeze everywheregrin
EFCC turned a blind eye on that one, but they had the resources to investigate a scam by a minting company outside africa.

The money disappeared during 2011 elections. Ask pdp delegates that came for their national convention.

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by eikeem(m): 10:07am On Jan 25, 2013
How much was squandered by the administration she was a part of?
*Logs out and continues watching DSTV channel 306* grin
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 25, 2013

My friend shut ur dirty Mouth, even when she was a minister her nickname was madam " Due process" She is one three women masketeer from IGBO , she, dora and ngozi

5 Likes

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Demdem(m): 10:08am On Jan 25, 2013
iv4fb: but Oby Ezekwesili was part of the repressive government, where was her voice then?

That "repressive govt" left so much of money that has been squandered. she wasnt part of those that squandered it, at least she wasnt in govt then undecided She is presenting demanding answers. i think she is on point.

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by vislabraye(m): 10:10am On Jan 25, 2013
Imagine!! The amount of money looted is almost or more than the networth of Bill Gates.
I don't care whether its politics or no GEJ should explain where the funds went to.
I don't seem to understand. Was it not Ngozi Okonjo Iweala that helped in accumulating the reserves? Now she has helped in squandering it

I thougt she was the "Joseph" of Nigeria and GEJ the pharoah. Remember how Joseph helped Egypt's economy ?
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by BetaThings: 10:23am On Jan 25, 2013
Really? So when she spoke the truth at the World Bank, it was because she was no longer in government?
And what does transformation agenda mean?

Is it to let people "know that funds are being squandered everyday"?

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by theripper: 10:28am On Jan 25, 2013
Na when all of dem fall out of favour wit Government dem dey get gist wey we don sabi since. Craze pple. Thunder fire all of una.

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by juman(m): 10:34am On Jan 25, 2013
Probably check the pockets of politicians, traditional leaders, "religious" leaders, tribal leaders, and regional leaders.

One nigeria is film trick.

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 25, 2013
Smh!
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 25, 2013
plz is seun back from mali for the peace keeping mission?

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by taharqa: 10:46am On Jan 25, 2013
Yes OBJ left more than $60billion in our Foreign Reserves b4 he left (though he had negotiatd d removal of $10billion for the NIPP projects just b4 leaving). A huge chunck of d money (more than $20billions was removd during d 3 yrs of Yar'adua who didnt do much during his time as I hv always said here); to be fair to Yar'adua, it was during his time dat d 2008-2009 World economic crisis happend such that parts of d fund was usd to augment d Money shard by d Federation and also to defend d Naira by Sanusi's CBN, although he also allowd State Governors to pressurise him to 'share' out sm of d moneys for their own 'urgent state projects'. This trend continued unfortunately briefly unda GEJ until middle of 2011 when d decline in d Reserve's value was reversd and it began to increase again. The Reserves and the Excess Crude fund for instance both increasd from about $32billion and $4.5billion at d beginning of 2012 to about $44.6billion and $9.6billion respectively within dat one yr period and is still increasing ($1billion was also set aside for d critical SWF fund within d same period). Questns needs to be askd about what ALL d monies drawn from d Account during d 3 yrs of Yar'adua and the 1st yr of GEJ were usd for both in d Federal but also in d State and LGA levels, still this is d FULLER stori...

5 Likes

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by taharqa: 10:52am On Jan 25, 2013
vislabraye: Imagine!! The amount of money looted is almost or more than the networth of Bill Gates.
I don't care whether its politics or no GEJ should explain where the funds went to.
I don't seem to understand. Was it not Ngozi Okonjo Iweala that helped in accumulating the reserves? Now she has helped in squandering it

I thougt she was the "Joseph" of Nigeria and GEJ the pharoah. Remember how Joseph helped Egypt's economy ?
Okonjo-Iweala is NOT 'squandering' anything, be sure of what you are saying b4 opening yr mouth in public. Since she returnd to govt as Finance Min mid-2011, d Reserves hv be INCREASING again just like it did when she was 1st there during OBJ's time...

1 Like

Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by taharqa: 10:55am On Jan 25, 2013
Movingcoil: plz is seun back from mali for the peace keeping mission?
NO, he is not back. His platoon is actuali heading towards northern Mali as we speak now to engage those ruggd Rebels. Plz pray for him.. grin grin grin
Re: How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion by Dee60: 11:01am On Jan 25, 2013
I foresee a scenario playing out. The oil thieves and the corrupt politicians capitalize on the weakness of the present administration to loot money, and convince the president not to probe them....and the same people join the next government with their money power and convince that government to prosecute the president (ex president). Jonathan had better be wise...This is the time to deal with corruption and get our money back, otherwise the same people you are protecting will turn their backs tomorrow and deal with you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ACN Lawmakers Back State Of Emergency / Anambra State To Begin Implementation Of Anti-Open Grazing Law September / Prof. Moghalu To Speak At Nigeria Youth Decide Conference October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.