Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Buhari not too old to rule - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari not too old to rule (866 Views)

‘Treat Jonathan With Care; Falae, Anenih Too Old To Be Jailed’ – Sagay To Buhari / Buhari Not Attending ChannelsTV Debate / Buhari 'Not Sorry' For 1983 Coup: Does Corruption Justify Military Action? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari not too old to rule by pheesayor(m): 11:44pm On Jan 25, 2013
Please read this interesting piece by Abigail Anaba, copied out this part
It would be a good idea then to look at the ages of the presidents of the top 5 emerging economies in the world.
1. China           Xi Jiping                                              elected Nov 2012                    Born 1953 (60)
2. India            Manmohan Singh                                 elected 2004.                           Born 1932 (81)
3. Russia          Vladimir Putin                                     elected 1999-2007, 2011         Born 1952 (61)
4. Brazil           Dilma Vana Rousseff                          elected 2012                            Born 1947  (66)
5. Turkey         Dr. Abdullah Gül                                elected 2007                            Born 1950 (63)

I leave you to decide what to make of this statistic. You may also want to read up on how India’s economy is performing under the watch of the 81 year old Manmohan Singh. (Did someone once say Nigeria is similar to India in many ways?)Yet, the fact that a thriving economy like India’s is beginning to falter under an aging president does not mean that a faltering economy like Nigeria’s will not thrive under an aging leader.It therefore becomes necessary to examine some of the reasons why some persons feel a Buhari presidency may not be what Nigeria needs at this point in her history.
1. He was once military: Well Putin was ex-KGB but look how he followed up on gains Yeltsin made and set the Russian economy on the path of growth. He served two consecutive terms between 1999 and 2007 and has recently found his way back into the top seat of government.
2. He is too old: Well he was born 1942, same year as the last President of the People’s Republic of China. Let’s ignore the fact that the Chinese leader was elected in 2003, he steered China through the turbulent econoe.So let’s say this together slowly:

Age is nothing but a number (Good). Personally, I do not see any reason why the General should not contest if his party favours him. What that simply means is that he is the best they have and the one they believe can deliver. (It may also mean that intra party politics flows in his favour. Afterall Medvedev refused to contest against Putin in 2011 even though he had a right to.)But whether Buhari will win is another issue entirely.Let us not forget, if we want younger leaders with power to execute the interests on over 70% of Nigeria’s population, then younger people should be interested in getting into politics. And since intra party politics often involves several years of serving in various capacities and paying dues, entering politics at between 20 and 25 may be a little more like it  if a person chooses to be a career politician.We have had leaders, social commentators, and public affairs analysts analyse our problems: we need water, light, good roads, good services, we need to kick out corruption and in recent times kick out terrorism. This song has been on auto replay for as long as I can remember. Nigeria does not need a leader to point out what is wrong. Even a child who shouts ‘up NEPA’ knows what one of our problems is.What Nigeria really needs is a leader with an action plan, a blue print of reforms that will sanitize the system and one that is borne out of wide consultations. His action plan would have a plan A, B and even C because things definitely will not look the same from inside as it looks when you are outside.We need a leader who has the courage and boldness to implement this blue print to the letter when given the opportunity but at the same time has the flexibility to adjust this blue print to suit prevailing circumstances when he gets into power.Indeed, if you cannot picture your leader in a shirt, sleeves rolled up, ready to dig out survivors from the debris of a burning plane, or eruditely defending his reforms in  a room full of international reporters; if you picture him turning down a chance at presenting or defending his manifesto or stammering a response to questions about things he did in his past; if you picture him leaving behind a trail of contentious comments or only surrounding himself with sycophants willing to sing his praise, then I  must confess, you haven’t found the leader yet. That is why come 2015, Nigeria may again be left with what I choose to call The 2011 Situation. We will be forced to choose between the devil we know and the devil we choose not to know.But then again, it’s our choice.

Full article http://www.thescoopng.com/abigail-anaba-gen-buhari-and-the-grey-matters/
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by Hardfact: 1:45am On Jan 26, 2013
What happens if Buhari refuses to run?
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by pheesayor(m): 8:35am On Jan 27, 2013
Hardfact: What happens if Buhari refuses to run?
we make another credible choice. This article is just for those trying to disqualify Buhari on the basis of age.
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by pheesayor(m): 1:31pm On Jan 27, 2013
and I think with continued calls for him to run in 2015, he just might
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by Ikengawo: 1:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
The only way Nigerians can prove something is a good idea is by showing it's done in another country.
Did the OP know that India has more people in poverty than the whole of Africa combine?

Buhari is not the only reasonable nigerian and only seems that way because we're used to dafts and psychopaths,
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by ebucha: 2:06pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yes,he is not too old to RULE, but he is too old to LEAD. Unfortunately, we need a leader not a ruler.
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by endtake: 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2013
Buhari should go an seat down he should leave wat he forgot in Aso rock for his son not him, we don't want to record death again in Aso rock old man,adviser tell him to use dis little grace time and God to forgive his sin.
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by Hardfact: 8:27am On Jan 28, 2013
pheesayor: and I think with continued calls for him to run in 2015, he just might
Just thinking. With a Buhari out of the picture what do we do? Will it be right to say we are finished?
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by Demdem(m): 9:15am On Jan 28, 2013

We will look around and see if we have REALISTIC alternatives that are READY and can defeat the killer party. If we can't, we will BEG him to change his mind and save our future generationgrin
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by inspirenet: 9:41am On Jan 28, 2013
Demdem:

We will look around and see if we have REALISTIC alternatives that are READY and can defeat the killer party. If we can't, we will BEG him to change his mind and save our future generationgrin

smiley
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
Hardfact: Just thinking. With a Buhari out of the picture what do we do? Will it be right to say we are finished?

Yes na. Buhari is the only hope for Nigeria, both for today, tomorrow and forever! Without him, Nigeria has no HOPE.
The man must not exit this earth oooo, if he does, then it is better for all Nigerians (minus me and all my people) to exit with him.

Emm, fortunately for me, I am actually thinking of who will "lead Biafra" than who will "rule Nigeria".
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by Hardfact: 8:23am On Jan 29, 2013
noblezone:

Yes na. Buhari is the only hope for Nigeria, both for today, tomorrow and forever! Without him, Nigeria has no HOPE.
The man must not exit this earth oooo, if he does, then it is better for all Nigerians (minus me and all my people) to exit with him.

Emm, fortunately for me, I am actually thinking of who will "lead Biafra" than who will "rule Nigeria".
Bros I dont mean to discuss Biafra here, is that your motivation for what you said?
Re: Buhari not too old to rule by pheesayor(m): 6:54am On Feb 01, 2013
Demdem:

(1) (Reply)

50% Of PDP Members Will Move To APC, Says PDP Bot Member / Pastor Oyakhilome, Incorporates Secret Company For Daughters In Caribbean / Federal-government-to-establish-dna-laboratory-for-nigeria-police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.