Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,836 members, 7,828,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

What Is the role Of Literature In Linguistics? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Is the role Of Literature In Linguistics? (886 Views)

Loss File Of Literature Section. / How To Write Or Becoming An Author Without The Knowledge Of Literature / What You Must Know As A Writer Or As A Student Of Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is the role Of Literature In Linguistics? by samnuhubaba: 8:15am On Jan 26, 2013
During my undergraduate days,i always fathom that there exist a wide gap between literature and linguistics though i studied stylistics as my core course.Far-fetchd,the preoccupation of linguistics is the describe a language and nt prescriptive as the case may be.In doing so,literature is predominant as one cannot study semantics,pragmatics,discoure analysis and stylistics without considering the matrix and role of literature in sustaining such study to scholarship.
However,language is said to be linguistically studied abesing the style through which it is used.Come to think of it,literature is language itself portraying human experiences in imitative form aptly captured in passages.
Infact,literature is to language as language is to linguistics and it preliminaries: phonetics,syntax,morphology,semantics and pragmatics respectively.
Re: What Is the role Of Literature In Linguistics? by TimePiece(f): 9:20am On Jan 26, 2013
Literature preserves the tool used in linguistics, without which it will be impossible to study language - since it provides ready apparatus which forms the basis, or kicks into motion the realisation of basic theories that secure the importance of language study (linguistics).

1 Like

Re: What Is the role Of Literature In Linguistics? by samnuhubaba: 7:24am On Jan 27, 2013
Literature is inexorally linked to language as linguistics is to language.My experiences so far in the class is a prime.Nevertheless,literature is imitative and didatic.

(1) (Reply)

All About Deborah / The Joy I Met / A Short Story- Blood And Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.