Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,590 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? (2999 Views)

Taking Alcohol Biblelical? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by seno408(m): 10:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
Atheist are not welcomed here.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 10:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
seno408: Atheist are not welcomed here.
why?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 10:52pm On Jan 27, 2013
1 Timothy 5:23

23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ur idea just falls flat down on its stomach
Neddivine: Martinseme:even to date the land of israel is well known to cultivate a fine grade of grape which is pressed in vine to produce non alcoholic drinks or wine.
u mean grape juice, in those day there was no preservative so it was impossible to produce such juice dat could last more dan a day. D juice is instead fermented into wine. And it is alcoholic. That is what was drank then.
This is the simple point I try to make when so many unstable christians keep claiming that Jesus manufactured Alcohol at Cana & paul commanded timothy to drink beer for his stomach infirmity.I dread this Pastor Kun & Frosbel among many.Their ideology often agrees with that of this advocate666 & the likes.They seem to promote xtianity with some good threads but again with the other hand drag and destroy xtian virtues with contrary posts on important xtian subjects draging lots of unstable souls with them.Such read the bible with physical intelligence but neglect that the things of God are only spiritually discerned.If u don't seek understanding of spiritual matters with much prayers,fasts,purity & deep humility of soul overtime, God will hardly teach u.Such people will then seek it with only dictionary & bible encyclopedia & their elated Phd degrees and post threads with carnal intelligence to dispute xtian virtures that are well known & observed by heaven minded Godly xtians since church history.
d above is a bundle of accusation against people who simply corrected your mistake. Im very suprised u mention church history, u arguement so far shows u are ignorant of it. D idea of total abstainence from alcohol started with d baptist b4 dem no xtian advocated such. Xtians drank wine, even d monks, i remember d rule of st benedict written around 300AD-400AD allow each monk to drink abt half bottle of wine per day. So if u are talking of history, keep it down. Scripture never forbids drinking, it only forbids d abuse of drinks.
Abstainence (fasting) from alcohol, may be a personal decision for you, but it isn't a xtian virtue, it is a discipline, most ideal for drunkards. To impose ur discipline on other is just an attempt to insult their liberty as xtians.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
frosbel:
we agree for once , lol grin
hmm...i think we agree most times, Similar intent i.e to show odas a truth/d truth, we just hardly agree on what that truth is. At least, it is great to see we agree on something.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 11:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
Alcohol is a sign of god's blessing.

Genesis 27:27-28

27 And he came near, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said, See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the Lord hath blessed:

28 Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine:
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by seno408(m): 5:30am On Jan 28, 2013
advocate666: Alcohol is a sign of god's blessing.

Genesis 27:27-28

27 And he came near, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said, See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the Lord hath blessed:

28 Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine:
u guys like misinterpreting the bible.u know the devil can quote Bible.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Neddivine: 11:36am On Jan 28, 2013
Why is it counted an incredible thing that God in the person of our Lord Jesus can create a miracle of non alcoholic wine in Cana.Also when drunkards request for palm wine for example, they ask the seller for either fresh wine or fermented.If truely fermentation takes one day to occur then it is still fresh the first day.The same applies to fruit wine which has no trace of alcohol at least on day one & what tells u there were no preservatives at that time.Did u live at their time to say for sure?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 12:01pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^^
Stop displaying your ignorance on this forum palm wine has alcohol in it even before it is tapped from the tree. That's the way God made it period.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2013
seno408: u guys like misinterpreting the bible.u know the devil can quote Bible.

In that case interprete this passage for us;
Deuteronomy 14:26
26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for beer , or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee; and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.

Or maybe it was the devil that included this verse into the bible tongue
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:30pm On Jan 28, 2013
Pastor Kun:

26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for beer , or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee; and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.

Or maybe it was the devil that included this verse into the bible tongue
hahahaha, did i just see "or for beer"? Intarasting!
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 12:38pm On Jan 28, 2013
Ubenedictus: hahahaha, did i just see "or for beer"? Intarasting!

Yeah it's beer alright though some bible versions prefer to use the term 'strong drink' which also implies that it's an alcoholic beverage. smiley
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Bella3(f): 1:16pm On Jan 28, 2013
From this thread, we shall knw the wine drinkersgrin
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 1:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
Do you follow the paths of wisdom or are you a fool?

Wisdom provides alcohol:

Proverbs 9:1-5

9 Wisdom has built her house;
she has hewn out its seven pillars.
2 She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine;
she has also set her table.
3 She has sent out her maids, and she calls
from the highest point of the city.
4 “Let all who are simple come in here!”
she says to those who lack judgment.
5 “Come, eat my food
and drink the wine I have mixed.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Pvictor10(m): 2:35pm On Jan 28, 2013
[img][/img]
sin or not sin, should not be a problem. Your Health is important.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by seno408(m): 6:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
It is now clear who the wine drinkers are
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Neddivine: 9:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
Pastor Kun:
26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for beer , or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee;and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.
Or maybe it was the devil that included this verse into the bible

You'll easily say that tithing and other xtian doctrines that don't favour u are abolished in the new testament but the ones flesh still craves like alcohol are still upheld.Why don't u still observe an eye for an eye,u should also marry many wives or pehaps marry your half sister because they're all in the old testament and tell me if the devil included them there.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Neddivine: 9:56pm On Jan 28, 2013
Pastor Kun:
26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, orfor wine, or for beer , or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee; and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.

Matt:19:8 - He(Jesus) saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts allowed you... but from the beginning it was not so.

So u see that Moses allowed many things that were not in the perfect will of God in the old testament because of the obtinate stiff necked heart hardened Isrealites just to satisfy them.The same heardness of heart u and other unstable xtians are still manifesting till date.But in the christian despensation Christ came to fulfill the perfect will of God and expect his folllowers to do so Heb:10:7- then said I Lo I come in the volume of the book it is written of me to do thy will O, God.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 10:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
Neddivine: Why is it counted an incredible thing that God in the person of our Lord Jesus can create a miracle of non alcoholic wine in Cana.Also when drunkards request for palm wine for example, they ask the seller for either fresh wine or fermented.If truely fermentation takes one day to occur then it is still fresh the first day.The same applies to fruit wine which has no trace of alcohol at least on day one & what tells u there were no preservatives at that time.Did u live at their time to say for sure?

"christianity" has really suffered in the hands of ignorancy.

This are the kind of people all over the place preaching that "alcohol is a sin".
*sigh*

it is high time you people start reading the bible for a start.

When you are shown clear scriptures that says people should drink alcoholic drink what will you do, after you have lied on the bible all along?

Do you think that God will clap for you?

"The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom"

its like the only sin that you people know in the "churches" today is, "alcohol is a sin", while you continue with imorality and invoke for yourself "grace", forgetting that "fornicators will not inherit God's kingdom".
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 10:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
Neddivine: Pastor Kun:
26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for beer , or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee;and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.

You'll easily say that tithing and other xtian doctrines that don't favour u are abolished in the new testament but the ones flesh still craves like alcohol are still upheld.Why don't u still observe an eye for an eye,u should also marry many wives or pehaps marry your half sister because they're all in the old testament and tell me if the devil included them there.

so there are new laws for alcohol and murder in the NT?

The problem is that you people dont think that God knows what he is doing.

Is there no law against tithing in the NT?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 11:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
Neddivine: Pastor Kun:
26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, orfor wine, or for beer , or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee; and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.

Matt:19:8 - He(Jesus) saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts allowed you... but from the beginning it was not so.

So u see that Moses allowed many things that were not in the perfect will of God in the old testament because of the obtinate stiff necked heart hardened Isrealites just to satisfy them.The same heardness of heart u and other unstable xtians are still manifesting till date.But in the christian despensation Christ came to fulfill the perfect will of God and expect his folllowers to do so Heb:10:7- then said I Lo I come in the volume of the book it is written of me to do thy will O, God.

A clear instruction in the bible by Yahweh is now due to the hard "hardheartedness" of the Jews?

Your case is more serious than i think.

Jesus christ was accused of eating and drinking win and a friend of tax collectors, i supposed that tax collectors drink mineral and maltina alone.

"Wisdom is shown by its works"

test:
can you consistently drink two bottles of maltina and coke every day for a month or more and i will drink two bottles of beer everyday for a month or more and lets see whose wisdom is more beneficial?

*sigh*

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 11:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 11:24pm On Jan 28, 2013
The bible says that "drunkards will not inherit God's kingdom".
^^^

how will one be a "drunkard" if he was not to drink/test alcohol at all?

Will you people stop adding to the word of God?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Goshen360(m): 4:32am On Jan 29, 2013
truthislight: The bible says that "drunkards will not inherit God's kingdom".
^^^

how will one be a "drunkard" if he was not to drink/test alcohol at all?

Will you people stop adding to the word of God?

Honestly, I've been following this topic from the sideline. The same thought I'd wanted to ask those who support alcohol you just asked above. How can someone be a "drunkard" without drinking alcohol

Abi na water or soda dey make people drunk ni?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by seno408(m): 5:41am On Jan 29, 2013
Goshen360:

Honestly, I've been following this topic from the sideline. The same thought I'd wanted to ask those who support alcohol you just asked above. How can someone be a "drunkard" without drinking alcohol

so anybody that takes alcohol is a drunkard right?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:42am On Jan 29, 2013
Goshen360:

does taking alcohol automatically makes u a drunkard?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 7:04am On Jan 29, 2013
Goshen360:

Is "DRUNKENESS" not the instance of taken too much alcohol?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 7:14am On Jan 29, 2013
"Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;" (1 Timothy 3:8 ).
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 29, 2013
Good morninng all,

I believe trutislight and ubenedictus are very correct. Sacred scriptures is not against drinking alcohol but getting drunk.

This has a lot to do with moderation. Personally, I don't take beer and can only sip a bit of red wine because I don't have the stomach for it but there are those who can take two bottles without feeling the pinch.

Thus, if half a glass of alcohol can make you drunk then it is a sin to drink that much. Similarly, if a sip of alcohol will constitute an occassion of sin for you (i.e if it can lead you to taken too much) then avoid it all together.

Thank you!
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Neddivine: 8:06am On Jan 29, 2013
I have always known that there are demons and human agents of satan that post on Nairaland as much as they do all over the internet hiding behind godly user names and atimes come out clear like advocate666 & some others do.They cunningly agree with u on some bible truths just to win ur confidence but when u are now friends they lure u to accept twisted sciptures just to destroy u & make u end up in eternal fire of hell.This individual "truthislight" and many like him have seemingly good usernames but I wonder who is hidden beneath.God have mercy on us.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 29, 2013
Neddivine: I have always known that there are demons and human agents of satan that post on Nairaland as much as they do all over the internet hiding behind godly user names and atimes come out clear like advocate666 & some others do.They cunningly agree with u on some bible truths just to win ur confidence but when u are now friends they lure u to accept twisted sciptures just to destroy u & make u end up in eternal fire of hell.This individual "truthislight" and many like him have seemingly good usernames but I wonder who is hidden beneath.God have mercy on us.

Good morning Ned,

This allegation is very strong! I believe you do not expect nairalanders to consider this seriously just because you said it.

Do you have any proof to back up your claim?

The fact that someone disagrees with you on certain matters does not mean that the individual is an agent from the very depth of hell.

I have had cause to disagree with Mr truthislght on some matters but this is not to say that he has not made some meaningful contributions that were beneficial to all.

I look forward to a day when we would stop attacking individuals and focus on the substance of a post instead. If advocate666 posts something that is correct, then I expect a true Christian to acknowledge the truth in the comment as against attacking him cause of a difference in beliefs.

It is indeed true that we should watch and pray lest the enemy of our faith (the devil) takes us unawares and I am for "putting every spirit to the test" but when an allegation is made then there must be proof to back it up.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by gprincess1(f): 9:08am On Jan 29, 2013
@Striktlymi,u perfectly ryt abh wah u said concerning moderation.....
Drinkn alchol aint a sin,gettin drunk is.....Coz wateva u over-do in lyf bcomes a sin so MODERATION SUD BE OUR WATCHWORD

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Anti-marriage Spirit / Download Worship Mixtape: “favoured” (favoured Volume 3.0) By DJ Friendzy / Are Christians Really Commanded To Love Everybody In This World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.