Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? (2995 Views)

Taking Alcohol Biblelical? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by seno408(m): 12:09pm On Jan 26, 2013
Few days ago I had an arguement with my colleages about taking alcohol. Plz guys I want to know if taking alcohol is a sin.(Bible reference).
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 12:58pm On Jan 26, 2013
John 2:1-11

2 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Woman,[a] why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.[b]

7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 1:03pm On Jan 26, 2013
There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking alcohol as a christian, what the bible frowns against is excessive consumption and drunkenness.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by ihedioramma: 7:41pm On Jan 26, 2013
IS NOT A SIN BOUT TWO MUCH OF IT.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
advocate666: John 2:1-11

2 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

4 “Woman,[a] why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”

6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.[b]

7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.

8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

Magician?
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Neddivine: 12:46pm On Jan 27, 2013
advocate666: John 2:1-11
2 On the third day a wedding tookplace at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus andhis disciples had also been invitedto the wedding. 3 When the winewas gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Woman,[a] why do you involveme?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filledthem to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the masterof the banquet.”
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He didnot realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, “Everyone brings out thechoice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

666 has already answered you.That should easily teach the wise the answer to the question.Satan can quote the bible as long as he twists it to accomplish his evil purpose.This happened during Jesus 40 days fast.There is a difference between alcoholic wine & non-alcoholic wine(0%).Go to the wine store.The holy spirit can never manufacture or offer anyone Alcoholic wine.Impossible!!
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 12:57pm On Jan 27, 2013
Neddivine:

666 has already answered you.That should easily teach the wise the answer to the question.Satan can quote the bible as long as he twists it to accomplish his evil purpose.This happened during Jesus 40 days fast.There is a difference between alcoholic wine & non-alcoholic wine(0%).Go to the wine store.The holy spirit can never manufacture or offer anyone Alcoholic wine.Impossible!!

Proverbs 31:6-7

6 Give strong drink to the one who is perishing,
and wine to those in bitter distress;
7 let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by larride(m): 1:23pm On Jan 27, 2013
Isn't it amusing that we all give the bible different interpretation to suit us. I pray may the good Lord guide us all.

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 1:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Neddivine:

I don't know why people like preaching their personal opinions as scripture Can you quote at least one scripture that forbids christians from consuming alcohol? That is apart from the fact that there is no such thing as non alcoholic wine as wine by it's definition is an alcoholic beverage and biblical wine was definitely alcoholic. The term 'non alcoholic wine' is an oxymoron which was coined by Nigerians to describe sparkling fruit juice packaged in wine bottles.

6 Likes

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by martinseme: 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
the bible says be sober and vigilant for ur adversary the devil seeks u as a lion to devour .how can u be vigilant and sober if u indulge in that which weakens ur mental alertness and thats what alcohol and other intoxicating drugs do to ur mind which above all is temple of the holy spirit. be aware there are varieties of non alcoholic wines thats for those quoting the bible miracle.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for reminding me, I deserve a glass or 2 of wine today for all my hardwork this week, I trust the wife will join me cheesy

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 1:44pm On Jan 27, 2013
martinseme: the bible says be sober and vigilant for ur adversary the devil seeks u as a lion to devour .how can u be vigilant and sober if u indulge in that which weakens ur mental alertness and thats what alcohol and other intoxicating drugs do to ur mind which above all is temple of the holy spirit. be aware there are varieties of non alcoholic wines thats for those quoting the bible miracle.

You are also forcing your opinion into scripture and the miracle wine in the bible was definitely alcoholic.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by kokoA(m): 2:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
I am a christian and I drink alcohol. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it and I don't think the bible spoke against it.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by martinseme: 2:52pm On Jan 27, 2013
even todate the land of israel is well known to cultivate a fine grade of grape which is pressed in vine to produce non alcoholic drinks or wine.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by PastorKun(m): 3:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
martinseme: even todate the land of israel is well known to cultivate a fine grade of grape which is pressed in vine to produce non alcoholic drinks or wine.

Another lie!!! Prove to us from scripture that biblical wine is non alcoholic and while you are at it you can also read Luke 7:33-34 and tell us if the wine spoken of there was also non alcoholic.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by advocate666: 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
martinseme: even todate the land of israel is well known to cultivate a fine grade of grape which is pressed in vine to produce non alcoholic drinks or wine.

Lack of basic education is the reason why churches are full.

You can get alcohol from anything including cocoyam. Just read up on fermentation.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by delkuf(m): 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
Neddivine, God bless u. @op, is a sin, and a big one at that. let me ask, can u take a bottle of beer and stop, no u will want to cont until u get drunk.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Zikkyy(m): 4:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
delkuf: Neddivine, God bless u. @op, is a sin, and a big one at that. let me ask, can u take a bottle of beer and stop, no u will want to cont until u get drunk.

I wonder where this theory is from. You think every other person is a drunkard like you?

2 Likes

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2013
seno408: Few days ago I had an arguement with my colleages about taking alcohol. Plz guys I want to know if taking alcohol is a sin.(Bible reference).
taking alcohol is not a sin, abusing alcohol is a sin. Just like eating is not a sin, abusing food is a sin
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
Neddivine: advocate666: John 2:1-11
2 On the third day a wedding tookplace at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus andhis disciples had also been invitedto the wedding. 3 When the winewas gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Woman,[a] why do you involveme?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filledthem to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the masterof the banquet.”
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He didnot realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, “Everyone brings out thechoice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

hahaha, 2000yrs ago there was nothing like non alcoholic wine. Wine 4 d jew is very alcoholic, "the fruit of d vine", d most beautiful wine i know.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
Zikkyy:

I wonder where this theory is from. You think every other person is a drunkard like you?
hahaha, dis is funny, though i hardly taste beer -i prefer wine- when i do i certainly know wen to stop. Thank God i've never been drunk.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 5:54pm On Jan 27, 2013
frosbel: Thanks for reminding me, I deserve a glass or 2 of wine today for all my hardwork this week, I trust the wife will join me cheesy

yea!

Same here.
grin

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 5:57pm On Jan 27, 2013
delkuf: Neddivine, God bless u. @op, is a sin, and a big one at that. let me ask, can u take a bottle of beer and stop, no u will want to cont until u get drunk.

^^

liar!

Your lack of self control should not be other peoples headech.

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ubenedictus: hahaha, dis is funny, though i hardly taste beer -i prefer wine- when i do i certainly know wen to stop. Thank God i've never been drunk.

we agree for once , lol grin
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 6:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
Zikkyy:

the guy seems like a former drunkard that has broken free and thinks alcohol is the "greatest sin".

Lol.
Moderation in every thing is the scriptures.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ubenedictus: taking alcohol is not a sin, abusing alcohol is a sin. Just like eating is not a sin, abusing food is a sin

too much food can also destroy a person.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ubenedictus: hahaha, dis is funny, though i hardly taste beer -i prefer wine- when i do i certainly know wen to stop. Thank God i've never been drunk.

that ^^ is called moderation.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by seno408(m): 9:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
But as for me I believe that it is not a sin to take alcohol but it is a sin in excess
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by Neddivine: 9:20pm On Jan 27, 2013
Martinseme:even to date the land of israel is well known to cultivate a fine grade of grape which is pressed in vine to produce non alcoholic drinks or wine.

This is the simple point I try to make when so many unstable christians keep claiming that Jesus manufactured Alcohol at Cana & paul commanded timothy to drink beer for his stomach infirmity.I dread this Pastor Kun & Frosbel among many.Their ideology often agrees with that of this advocate666 & the likes.They seem to promote xtianity with some good threads but again with the other hand drag and destroy xtian virtues with contrary posts on important xtian subjects draging lots of unstable souls with them.Such read the bible with physical intelligence but neglect that the things of God are only spiritually discerned.If u don't seek understanding of spiritual matters with much prayers,fasts,purity & deep humility of soul overtime, God will hardly teach u.Such people will then seek it with only dictionary & bible encyclopedia & their elated Phd degrees and post threads with carnal intelligence to dispute xtian virtures that are well known & observed by heaven minded Godly xtians since church history.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by martinseme: 9:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
he who the devil deceives into thinking alcohol when taken is not a sin except in excess , he should also call the devil to deceive him that taking cocaine or marijuana in a small quantity is not sin except when taken in excess

1 Like

Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 10:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
Neddivine: Martinseme:even to date the land of israel is well known to cultivate a fine grade of grape which is pressed in vine to produce non alcoholic drinks or wine.

This is the simple point I try to make when so many unstable christians keep claiming that Jesus manufactured Alcohol at Cana & paul commanded timothy to drink beer for his stomach infirmity.I dread this Pastor Kun & Frosbel among many.Their ideology often agrees with that of this advocate666 & the likes.They seem to promote xtianity with some good threads but again with the other hand drag and destroy xtian virtues with contrary posts on important xtian subjects draging lots of unstable souls with them.Such read the bible with physical intelligence but neglect that the things of God are only spiritually discerned.If u don't seek understanding of spiritual matters with much prayers,fasts,purity & deep humility of soul overtime, God will hardly teach u.Such people will then seek it with only dictionary & bible encyclopedia & their elated Phd degrees and post threads with carnal intelligence to dispute xtian virtures that are well known & observed by heaven minded Godly xtians since church history.

this ^^ are your personal opinion.

For a doctrine to be biblical, it should be consistent from Genesis to revelation.
Re: Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? by truthislight: 10:12pm On Jan 27, 2013
martinseme: he who the devil deceives into thinking alcohol when taken is not a sin except in excess , he should also call the devil to deceive him that taking cocaine or marijuana in a small quantity is not sin except when taken in excess

i guess palm wine should not be taken then, though it came direct from the almighty with alcohol.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A TRINITARIAN Should Explain This Scripture .... / I Gave My Life For You. What Have You Done For Me? - Jesus(Photos - The Passion) / BABY HUSBAND : A Christian Inspired Story By Eyezik3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.