Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,195 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty (1134 Views)

Uche Ekwunife Visits Chris Ngige Over The Death Of His Dad (Pic) / My View On Buhari's Wife And Her Evil N137 Million IDP Donation. / North Demands Death Penalty For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by decepticos(m): 8:47pm On Jan 27, 2013
Just when we thought rappers are all about the bling and cars, one rapper has for two days now being on facebook (a place many of you claim to hate) debating the relevance or irrelevance of "capital punishment" here are a few of his thoughts.

FACT- Blacks are twice as likely to receive
the death penalty than whites and those
who murder whites are 4 times as likely to
receive the death penalty than those who
murder blacks. This is not my opinion.
These are facts. Humans are flawed.
Racism is one of our biggest flaws. Because this, we are ill equipped to judge who lives and who dies.

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10151363725655606&id=7940560605&refid=17&ref=stream&_ft_=fbid.10151363725655606

His name; Talib kweli

m.facebook.com/talibkweli?ref=stream&refid=52&_ft_=qid.5838173292211281944%3Amf_story_key.-7628687068093425103

No one at this point can assure him of keeping his fans. Lets see how it pans out.
I just keep wondering when in this country artist well be politically effective (not saying none have ever being), but you should get ma point, if not then, nothing can be said.
Re: 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by abdurrazaq(m): 9:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
His name is Talib Kweli as you rightly pointed out but, he is not just “one“ rapper but a renowned MC of repute. For those of us who have been his fans for years, we are not surprise by his stand on issue like this because he‘s been known to be a rapper who put a lot of effort into his music for betterment of humanity especially the black community worldwide.
You can appreciate him more when you listen to the following songs and others from him:
1. Beautiful struggle
2. Hostile gospel (the video was shot in Lagos, Nigeria)
3. Ballad of black gold (dedicated to the Niger-Delta region of Nigeria)

One thing is sure IMO, he will gain more followership than lose.
Thumbs up Talib.
Re: 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by decepticos(m): 9:30pm On Jan 27, 2013
He would go on to say:
Thanks for all your comments. I love participating in discussion. I know many
are used to artists with nothing to add to
the conversation, shut up and sing right?
Well I will never be that dude. One love to
those who rock with me! Love!

And provide this link to support his and i quote" Death Penalty- Still Racist and
Arbitrary"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/09/­
opinion/09dow.html
Re: 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by abdurrazaq(m): 9:39pm On Jan 27, 2013
“Changes“ by Tupac Amaru Shakur of blessed memory cross my mind.
Re: 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by decepticos(m): 9:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
abdurrazaq: His name is Talib Kweli as you rightly pointed out but, he is not just “one“ rapper but a renowned MC of repute. For those of us who have been his fans for years, we are not surprise by his stand on issue like this because he‘s been known to be a rapper who put a lot of effort into his music for betterment of humanity especially the black community worldwide.
You can appreciate him more when you listen to the following songs and others from him:
1. Beautiful struggle
2. Hostile gospel (the video was shot in Lagos, Nigeria)
3. Ballad of black gold (dedicated to the Niger-Delta region of Nigeria)

One thing is sure IMO, he will gain more followership than lose.
Thumbs up Talib.

True my brother, but the guy is really debating the matter on fb, my real issue if the political effect or voice of our present nigerian artist, cos african china did his and now is no where, edris abdulkareem you know him after d whole nigeria jagajaga, and dont get me started on modenine, these guts werent throwing out subliminals to national head even though they were not naming ppl. So who is the political minded artist these days.
Re: 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by abdurrazaq(m): 10:23pm On Jan 27, 2013
The truth of the matter is that an artiste will have to choose between being commercially successful and socially concsious. Only special ones like Tupac were able to merge the two qualities successfully.
Eedris Abdulkareem‘s career declined after the controversial JAGAJAGA song, African china faded out after some time, Blackfaze is struggling to regain relevance after his hit HARD LIFE, and so on like that. The problem is not with the artiste but with we the masses that have chosen to pay no attention to lyrical contents of music. This “party song“ syndromme has led to the decline in the creativity of many artistes in Nigeria and has given room for inflow of mediocre into the music scene.
The little contribution from Eedris, African China, Blackfaze, et al will outlive them and those who chose to enrich themselves not concerned about their input into the well-being of the human race through their music they won‘t get more than few weeks of fame they do enjoy.
As big and talented Notorious BIG was during his lifetime, he was mostly talked about when the east/west coast feud is rememberred while, Tupac still touches lives with his evergreen insightful songs.
Re: 0n3 Rappers View On The Death Penalty by decepticos(m): 1:17am On Jan 28, 2013
it all reminds me of how FELA fueled a lot of things so much so Talib spoke of Fela's mother being thrown out the window in his relection eternal's Ballad of the black gold.
I was amazed. Talib also spoke of drivebys on speed boats. I also believe he is the only foreign artist who supported the occupy nigeria agenda when subsidy was removed last yr - though it was just a single update on fb with refrence to the balad of the black gold. Another scary thing was that when African china came up with dat one song that spoke the truth some guy whom no one knew released a track telling the president "nor look him face". I for one know everyone has their opinnon but that was just attention seeking.

(1) (Reply)

Africa The Fast Asleep Giant - Kwame Nkrumah / Should Jonathan, Uche,sule Lamido And Aliyu Need Visa To Enter Lagos / Jonathan Is Acting Out Obasanjo’s Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.