Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted (3991 Views)

Buhari Cancels Weekly FEC Meetings / El-Rufai Set To Wed Zahra Buhari - Polity Weekly Magazine / Jimi Agbaje And Ambode At The Lagos State Governorship Debate (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Seun(m): 10:41am On Jan 28, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The topic we've chosen for the inaugural debate under the new weekly format is "How Should Our Government Treat Gay People?"

This topic is very divisive. Liberals, libertarians, and people exposed to western culture believe that they should be left alone by the government and that perhaps they should even be granted certain 'fundamental' rights like the right to be legally married to their gay partners and legal protection from discrimination. Others believe they should be rounded up, disgraced, imprisoned, and perhaps even shot dead if they don't desist from their sinful activities. We believe it will take a formal debate to expose people the the best arguments on both sides of this controversial topic.

The debate will take place between Wednesday and Next Sunday on this forum.

If you'd like to participate, just reply this thread, stating:
1) Your position on the issue of how our government should treat gay people.
2) A couple of paragraphs of strong, original, and impressive arguments in defence of your position.

If you are not a good debater, you should simply "like" the replies submitted on this page by people whose opinions you agree with and who are capable of advocating for your position competently in the debate, based on everything you know about them.

We will select 4 to 8 debaters who seem to know what they are talking about, and then go to the main debate on Wednesday - Saturday.

Thanks and Goodluck!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Ask4bigneyo(m): 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
jez passing bye...
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by dotcomnamename: 12:10pm On Jan 28, 2013
Second to comment.. be back shortly
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by elliottibanga(m): 12:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
Brace Yourselves.

The Homophobes are comming. undecided
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Truckpusher(m): 12:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
let us debate this right now because the time is ripe.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Orikinla(m): 12:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
Lest you forget, there was a gay pageant in Lagos, Nigeria and won by Terry, an ex-student of UNILAG.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by boron10(m): 12:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
Where is JARUS nitori olorun? This is when we need you most. Come and coordinate this debate o. Oga seun, you should concentrate on how to get people to advertise on NL and leave debate for those who handle it like professionals. angry
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by premlove(m): 12:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
i can't wait to c hw dis debate ends
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Seun(m): 12:23pm On Jan 28, 2013
boron10: Where is JARUS nitori olorun? This is when we need you most. Come and coordinate this debate o.
We are certainly missing Jarus, and we hope to have the privilege of working with him sooner than later, but the show must go on!!
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by 1shortblackboy: 12:27pm On Jan 28, 2013
Are we to reply now ?
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
sincerly I can not undstand the reasoning behind wantng to be gay! God/Nature that created livng being did so in males and females and it has a reason fo doing so. Any human being may decide not to get married to the opposite sex, fine, but when men/women say they want to marry there own sex, then somthng clearly must be wrong. It is a problem of the mind, those gays are sick and need reahabilitation.

1 Like

Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Seun(m): 12:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
1 shortblackboy: Are we to reply now ?
Yes!!!
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by eggheaders(m): 12:32pm On Jan 28, 2013
they should'nt be left alone to contaminate our society with their evils.everywhere in the world where they are given an inch they demand a yard."beware of a calamity when it behalfs the evildoers it would'nt spare the righteous that fail to rebuke the misdeed of the evildoers".
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 28, 2013
They should be allowed to roam free,but the govt shud not legitize their marriage.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Fourcade(m): 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Smartiegurl(f): 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2013
lynpetra: They should be allowed to roam free,but the govt shud not legitize their marriage.
Whats your point exactly?
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by omomame: 12:41pm On Jan 28, 2013
interesting topic........ Cnt wait for the positions
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
Let's give Seun and the organisers the needed cooperation please. I'm also in, from the sideline. I'm personally impressed Seun is taking active part himself.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
There are so many mysteries surrounding the world we live today,which science have refused to answer.Some, scientists have been able to decipher such mysteries,while some are being altered.If we stone gays and lesbian to death,what are we gonna do with humans with two sexual organs??They didn't chose to be born that way,some who are lucky enough would have theirs altered by choosing sides.What about those thatgat no money?Some very religious Pple would conclude that it is the wor k of the devil unlike scientists whose opinions is that of genetic disorder.Now the issue am trying to point out here is that this sets of humans are born this way,the human body is patterned to have its own mind.Some people are allergic to nuts,while some to cats,and so onare all patterns the body chose to follow.Don't get me wrong,am not a lesbian but I think as a liberal human,I do not have the right to judge people's preferences.....Never!

3 Likes

Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by HAH: 12:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
On religious ground homosexuality is a crime and taboo infact in islam it is punishable by death and even a person that see it is punished.

Socially homosexuality has been in existence from creation of man however it is a taboo but gradually gays are now coming to term with their feelings and opening up on their sexuality and in some nation even given rights.

In a secular society ones sexuality is a personal affair and the best treatment for it is the " don't ask don't tell approach"

Nigeria has a choice of either being a religious or secular state, if it is a religious state then it is okay to criminalise gays but if it claims to be a secular state then gays should be given their rights or atleast l don't ask don't tell.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 28, 2013
as far as Im concerned d issue of being gay is a sickness, a psychological problem. I dont beleive they should be killed, imprisoned or publicly disgraced, but they should be identified and offered help.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by jakedes(m): 12:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
Same sex marriage...i think this is the most wierd thing i can ever imagin...even the bible and law of nature never accepted it...such act should not be allowed in our country(especially Nigeria)because we know how to perfect in any borrowed bad act....i just think gay/homosexuality/lesbianism...is more or delivish...just imagine you..lusting over ur fellow man(iron body to iron body)...na wa o..dnt even go there...this is really odd
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by HAH: 12:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
In the past children get married at an early age but nowadays is a taboo, in the past polygamy is the order of the day but these days is a taboo top many in the same vain homosexuality has been a taboo but it is certain being gradually accepted

The Nigerian government should concentrate on making available the goodies of life rather than wasting on something that is absolutely personal

NB I have never been a gay and will never be.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by nitrogen(m): 12:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
Kill them all!!!!!!
grin grin grin grin

#justjoking#

2 Likes

Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by DeepSight(m): 1:01pm On Jan 28, 2013
nitrogen: Kill them all!!!!!!
grin grin grin grin

#justjoking#

SPARTACUS! LOL!

Seun, why Wednesday. I like the topic. I am itching to post my points.

Permission, sir.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
I dont agree at all that God created anybody to be gay. Look at us, male with his organ and female with her organ and those organs are for specific functions, if God wanted gays then t would have created, regularly, men and women without organs.

2 Likes

Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2013
pls what kind of help are you suggesting in a country like Nigeria?Religion and laws of the state do not always agree on some known laws.For example,a muslim politcian married a child!If we follow due process if the law,this action is very bad and unacceptable!No religion accepts same sex union,we all know but don't forget Religion itself is a human choice.I can chose to believe n science and might apply its laws to my way of life.
Re: Official Politics Weekly Debate #1 - Debaters Wanted by DeepSight(m): 1:08pm On Jan 28, 2013
cogitoErgo: I dont agree at all that God created anybody to be gay. Look at us, male with his organ and female with her organ and those organs are for specific functions, if God wanted gays then t would have created, regularly, men and women without organs.

Nonetheless there are people with hormonal imbalances that render them what they are; namely - naturally inclined to be gay. This cannot be denied. I am sure you have seen some women who have very masculine frames, and even have beard and hair on their chests. Such a woman is already hormonally pre-disposed to become a lesbian. It would be unfair to argue otherwise.

I do believe that such people and indeed all others should be free to do as they please se.xually. However I do not agree that they should be entitled to legal marriages and my chief reason in this regard is the fact that children brought up by such a union would be subjected to a skewed and abnormal psychology of growth. I really dont think it is fair to a child to raise him or her with daddy and daddy kissing around the house. This could render a child terribly se.xually confused.

There is more that I could say, particularly for the Nigerian Legal System. The law banning gay marriage was never necessary because the Marriage Act in Nigeria already defines marriage as being between man and woman. Beyond that, we cannot go into people's bedrooms to monitor what they do.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3)

Video Of Nigerian Army "Tactically Manoeuvring" Away From Boko Haram. / Riot In Aba, Between Ngwa Indigene And Traders / BREAKING NEWS: Appeal Courts Rules On Gov Wike This Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.