Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,897 members, 7,817,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos (11591 Views)

34,000 Ghost Workers: Syndicate Uncovered / Spanish Police Smash Nigerian Prostitution Ring / N45,000 Bait Used To Arrest Employment Syndicate Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Maxymilliano(m): 7:20am On Jan 29, 2013
The police in Lagos have smashed a fake currency printing syndicate, arresting five suspects.

The syndicate, which specialized in printing local and foreign currencies, has allegedly been operating for about five years.

Femi Jacob, Ramon Adeoye, Akeem Ayodabo, Isaka Usman and Onyeka Ibe, were paraded yesterday at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja, by the Commissioner of Police, Umar Manko.

Jacob and Ayodabo are said to be printers heading two of the syndicate’sbranches. Ibe is suspected to be their client, who used fake and original currencies to buy electronic products, which he sells in Onitsha, Anambra State.

Adeoye was described as a distributor of fake currencies, which he supplies to Bureau de Change operators within and outside the country. Usma reportedly helped Ayodabo to print and distribute the fake currencies.

Over N100 million worth of fake currencies, including US dollars, pounds sterling, euros and Ghanaian cedis, were recovered from the suspects. Also recovered were 22 fake currency printing and one cutting machines.

Parading the suspects, Manko said the officer-in-charge of the Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS), Mr Abba Kyari, a Superintendent of Police (SP), got wind of the syndicate’s operation at 6 Ogunlana Street, Alagbado, a Lagos suburb.

He said Kyari led SARS operatives to the place where surveillance was mounted and Femi and Ramon arrested. He said Femi took the police to Ikorodu where they arrested Usman and Ayodabo.

Femi, who confessed to being a smuggler before joining the syndicate, told The Nation that he sells a bundle of fake N100, 000 for N3,000, and one bundle of fake $100 for N4000. He said he started the illegal business about three years ago and has made “a lot of money from it”.

He said: “When any currency is given to you, pour water on it. If it is fake it will tear immediately. If you do not have water, use your saliva. You can also find out if it is fake by squeezing and dropping it on the table, it will not remain squeezed if it is fake.”

According to him, he used to be a printer until somebody introduced himto the fake currency business.

“The first business we did we made so much money and that was why I remained in the business”, he said, adding that one of his distributors, Mallam Ibrahim, a Bureau de Change operator, is at large.

Ibe said he was duped by some fake money launderers who later introduced him to the illegal business.

He said: “I was duped by some people who came to my shop in Onitsha and bought all my goods with fake currencies. After going to the police for several months without any success, I met the people who duped me again and they decided to introduce me to the fake currency business”.

Ibe said in less than two months he recovered all his money and also made so much money buying goods with fake currencies.

He said he was arrested when he came to Lagos to buy another batch of fake currencies from his supplier.

“I did not know Femi had been arrested by the police. He called me from the police station and told me that he has new and more genuine fake currencies for sale. It was those currencies that I came to buy and was arrested by the police”, he said.

Manko said investigation was ongoing adding that the suspects would be charged to court soon.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/police-smash-fake-currency-syndicate/

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by eriegua83: 7:28am On Jan 29, 2013
Everyday for d thief one day for d owner. Pls send them to ALUU

3 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Omexonomy: 7:47am On Jan 29, 2013
My mother had bein paid fake 5 thousand in three withdrawal accros the counter in a particular branch of a big bank all complain fell on deaf ear.
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by BedLam: 7:53am On Jan 29, 2013
Hustle must pay jare! make them free my brothers in hustle, na them make farouk lawan take bribe?

1 Like

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 29, 2013
Some guys aint interested in working hard to make good money,forgetting that what has a beginning must end. It so sad embarassed

1 Like

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by plendil: 9:05am On Jan 29, 2013
how many years imprisonment?
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 29, 2013
Maxymilliano: The police in Lagos have smashed a fake currency printing syndicate, arresting five suspects.

The syndicate, which specialized in printing local and foreign currencies, has allegedly been operating for about five years.

Femi Jacob, Ramon Adeoye, Akeem Ayodabo, Isaka Usman and Onyeka Ibe, were paraded yesterday at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja, by the Commissioner of Police, Umar Manko.

Jacob and Ayodabo are said to be printers heading two of the syndicate’sbranches. Ibe is suspected to be their client, who used fake and original currencies to buy electronic products, which he sells in Onitsha, Anambra State.

Adeoye was described as a distributor of fake currencies, which he supplies to Bureau de Change operators within and outside the country. Usma reportedly helped Ayodabo to print and distribute the fake currencies.

Over N100 million worth of fake currencies, including US dollars, pounds sterling, euros and Ghanaian cedis, were recovered from the suspects. Also recovered were 22 fake currency printing and one cutting machines.

Parading the suspects, Manko said the officer-in-charge of the Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS), Mr Abba Kyari, a Superintendent of Police (SP), got wind of the syndicate’s operation at 6 Ogunlana Street, Alagbado, a Lagos suburb.

He said Kyari led SARS operatives to the place where surveillance was mounted and Femi and Ramon arrested. He said Femi took the police to Ikorodu where they arrested Usman and Ayodabo.

Femi, who confessed to being a smuggler before joining the syndicate, told The Nation that he sells a bundle of fake N100, 000 for N3,000, and one bundle of fake $100 for N4000. He said he started the illegal business about three years ago and has made “a lot of money from it”.

He said: “When any currency is given to you, pour water on it. If it is fake it will tear immediately. If you do not have water, use your saliva. You can also find out if it is fake by squeezing and dropping it on the table, it will not remain squeezed if it is fake.”

According to him, he used to be a printer until somebody introduced himto the fake currency business.

“The first business we did we made so much money and that was why I remained in the business”, he said, adding that one of his distributors, Mallam Ibrahim, a Bureau de Change operator, is at large.

Ibe said he was duped by some fake money launderers who later introduced him to the illegal business.

He said: “I was duped by some people who came to my shop in Onitsha and bought all my goods with fake currencies. After going to the police for several months without any success, I met the people who duped me again and they decided to introduce me to the fake currency business”.

Ibe said in less than two months he recovered all his money and also made so much money buying goods with fake currencies.

He said he was arrested when he came to Lagos to buy another batch of fake currencies from his supplier.

“I did not know Femi had been arrested by the police. He called me from the police station and told me that he has new and more genuine fake currencies for sale. It was those currencies that I came to buy and was arrested by the police”, he said.

Manko said investigation was ongoing adding that the suspects would be charged to court soon.

Mr ibe seems to be the smartest guy in the joint ethnic operation.Y'all know what I'm thinking right ?
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Kcxee(m): 9:13am On Jan 29, 2013
Well well I have nothing to say than there are to these guys than what has being said they have people of influence they are working for because even in they banks in bauchi fake money is being issued out sometimes...so.....
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by executinal(m): 9:13am On Jan 29, 2013
They should face the music
Finally news with picture wink
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by ibraivory: 9:13am On Jan 29, 2013
God has caught dem. Dt is hw dey spoil Nigeria. My judgement is death sentence
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Newcrescent(m): 9:18am On Jan 29, 2013
Wonders shall never cease. The prosecutors should employ scientific means to tackle this issue and use these guys as bait for others.
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by manny4life(m): 9:24am On Jan 29, 2013

I'm not saying what they did is right, in fact they should be punished, but having reported to the police without success can really push people to do what isn't right
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by akatonero(m): 9:28am On Jan 29, 2013
Police will swab some of those fake currency and solve some of their problems that will never finish.mtcheeeeeew grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Sexkillzdick: 9:37am On Jan 29, 2013
Omexonomy: My mother had bein paid fake 5 thousand in three withdrawal accros the counter in a particular branch of a big bank all complain fell on deaf ear.

they cheated ur mum but u're protecting them by not wanting to mention their name and d branch. na u sabi... abeg give way...
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by manny4life(m): 9:37am On Jan 29, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Yes we all saw it.the fooolish guys were printing while their ibo counterpart is spending the money.

Exactly!

Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

In all, crime is crime and laundering fake currency is dead wrong.
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by sushieater: 9:41am On Jan 29, 2013
ibraivory: God has caught dem. Dt is hw dey spoil Nigeria. My judgement is death sentence
Death sentence ko, Death phrase ni! Just because of fake currency?.. Well, thank God it isn't your judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 29, 2013
Everybody loves money be it igbo, hausa and yoruoba. If you talk say you no like money then make you die in poverty. Thank God they were caught but is not going to sound as a warning to people as even this news will make some people to start looking for a way to join the biz. Thats the condition of naija. Even the banks do mix fake currency atimes.
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by dridowu: 9:46am On Jan 29, 2013
A lot of d fake currency would have been in circulation
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by angelTI(f): 9:49am On Jan 29, 2013
evryday for d thief, oneday for d owner! deir girlfriends shud b paraded as wel!
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by aryzgreat: 9:50am On Jan 29, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Mr ibe seems to be the smartest guy in the joint ethnic operation.Y'all know what I'm thinking right ?

U can single out only Ibe while leaving d 3 from ur tribe and 1 aboki. U nid to grow up dude! D pple u started this stuff with have all grown up. D likes of Ezeuche have withdrawn from this and face his future but u dunce dat sleep and troll around NL have refused ur madness to be cured. Get a life for once! U don't have job?

15 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by bigfat01: 9:53am On Jan 29, 2013
[size=15pt]THAT MUST BE MILLIONAIRES BY NOW...[/size]
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by otumfour(m): 9:57am On Jan 29, 2013
Maxymilliano: The police in Lagos have smashed a fake currency printing syndicate, arresting five suspects.

why my Cedis

and some furk'd up nigerians will come here tlkn shixt like Ghanaians hate nigerians....see wht ur brothers are doing...No Ghanaian & I repeat No Ghanaian will have the time to fake-print tht common naira....these are the people giving nigeria a bad name ....and unfortunately they are the many
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by ba7man(m): 9:58am On Jan 29, 2013
~Bluetooth:

So defrauding people is now your definition of being smart.
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by phransix147(m): 9:59am On Jan 29, 2013
6 months in Jail should be the highest sentence, since 2 years was given to the pension scheme looter!

2 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by manny4life(m): 10:01am On Jan 29, 2013
otumfour:

why my Cedis

and some furk'd up nigerians will come here tlkn shixt like Ghanaians hate nigerians....see wht ur brothers are doing...No Ghanaian & I repeat No Ghanaian will have the time to fake-print tht common naira....these are the people giving nigeria a bad name ....and unfortunately they are the many

Here goes the fuktardeous ego of his again, you really must think that your cedis is high and mighty. If I was a judge, I sentence them to 20 years in jail for just going to Ghana cedis that's not even on a global ranking.

5 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by ba7man(m): 10:02am On Jan 29, 2013
Some dullards are actually over joyed that their tribe's man is defrauding his fellow tribesmen. SMH at Daftness of some Nigerians.
Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by honeypie143: 10:10am On Jan 29, 2013
otumfour:

why my Cedis

If you're not mad tell me the reason curve 3 doesn't sell well in ghana? Simple cos it has no flash so if you snap your black face won't show so i expect your brain to be black too
They printed worthless cedis you're not happy? Have you forgotten that 5000 cedis is just 50 naira in nigeria bomboclark?

5 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by pekelepekele(m): 10:14am On Jan 29, 2013
They should be employed at cbn at least their own method of printing is cheaper comparing to what Sanusi told us . Just kidding grin

2 Likes

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 29, 2013
These grp na true one nigeria gang, every tribe and religion join hand for d biz

1 Like

Re: Fake Currency Syndicate Smash In Lagos by slimming: 10:43am On Jan 29, 2013
The end of the game

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari And Atiku Absent At NEDG/BON Presidential Debate / Anambra State Delegation Understudies The Operations Of Lagos State Motor Agency / How Come Northern Men Can Marry Southern Women But Never The Other Way Round

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.