Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,508 members, 7,816,230 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

15 years old Islandic Girl Wins Right To Use her given Name - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15 years old Islandic Girl Wins Right To Use her given Name (641 Views)

Nigeria Wins Bid To Manage Belarus’s Satellite For 15 Years / Girl Gets Raped Second Time After Police Use Her To Try To Catch Her Rapist / Woman Tricked By Nigerian Doctor Into Believing She Had Given Birth Wins Right. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

15 years old Islandic Girl Wins Right To Use her given Name by beylinko(m): 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
A 15-year-old Icelandic girl has wonthe right to use the name given her by her mother, after a court battle against the authorities.
Blaer Bjarkardottir will now be able to use her first name, which means"light breeze", officially.
Icelandic authorities had objected, saying it was not a proper feminine name.
The country has very strict laws on names which must fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules.
"I'm very happy," Blaer said after the ruling.
"I'm glad this is over. NowI expect I'll have to get new identity papers. Finally, I'll have the name Blaer in my passport."
Reykjavik District Court's decision overturns an earlier rejection of the name by Icelandic authorities.
Until now, Blaer Bjarkardottir had been identified simply as "Girl" in communications with officials.
Like Germany and Denmark, Iceland has rigidlimitations about how a baby can be named. The names like Carolina and Christa, for example, are not allowed because the letter "c" is not part of Iceland's alphabet. Names cannot be unisex either.
Blaer's mother, Bjork Eidsdottir, has said that she had no idea that Blaer was not on the list of accepted female names when she gave it to her daughter.
The panel rejected the name because they said itwas too masculine for a girl.
There are some 1,853 approved female names on the Icelandic Naming Committee's list.
It was not immediately clear whether the government would appeal against the district court'sdecision in the Supreme Court
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21280101

(1) (Reply)

A Man Killed His Brother Out Of Jealousy / 7 Mistakes Our Generation Must Avoid If We Will Change Nigeria / Fmr. Lagos State Governor Bola Tinubu Set To Launch Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.