Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize (7387 Views)

Nelson Mandela Dead 2013” : Nobel Peace Prize 1993 Killed By Internet Death Hoax / Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union / Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Maxymilliano(m): 7:19am On Feb 02, 2013
Malala Yousufzai, the Pakistani girl who rose to international fame after the Taliban nearly killed her for her efforts to promote girls’ education, has been formally nominated for the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize.

Her name was put forward by three members of the Norwegian parliament from the ruling Labor Party on their website Friday, which was the deadline for nominations.

Malala’s name was put forward because of"her courageous commitment to the right of girls to education. A commitment that seemed so threatening to the extremists that they chose to try and kill her," said parliamentarian Freddy de Ruiter on the Labor party web site.

De Ruiter made the nomination with fellow members of parliament Gorm Kjernli and Magne Rommetveit.

Malala was attacked in October with two other girls while traveling home from school in Pakistan’s Swat valley. The gunman boarded the van and asked for her by name before firing three shots at her — singling her out for writing a blog that criticized the Taliban for barring girls for getting an education.

A week later, Malala was flown to a hospital in the UK for treatment. She is now facing a final major surgery to place a titanium plate over the hole left in her skull. While in the hospital she has received thousands of messages from well-wishers around the world, and continued to speak out on behalf of her cause, becoming a global icon.

The Norwegian MPs said they believed that Malala was "a worthy winner for many reasons. She has become an important symbol in the fight against destructive forces that want to prevent democracy, equality and human rights."

She was also reportedly nominated by members of parliament in France, Spain and Canada. NBC News has not confirmed that information.

To be sure, it is very early in the Nobel process, which culminates with a winner in October.

The Stockholm-based Nobel Foundation, which has been awarding Nobel awards for physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and peace since 1901, said 231 names were submitted for the Peace Prize last year, including 41 organizations.

Nominations can be made only by a select group of people worldwide, including national lawmakers, university presidents and previous Nobel winners.

The foundation does not disclose the names of nominees until 50 years later. However, those who name the candidates sometimes disclose them, as in Malala’s case.

Among other reported nominees for the 2013 prize are Belarusian human rights activist Ales Belyatski, who is in jail, and Russian Lyudmila Alexeyeva.

The list of prior Nobel Peace Prize recipients is populated with presidents and large organizations — including UNICEF, Doctors without Borders, and the European Union in 2012 — and storied individuals, such as the Dalai Lama, Mother Theresa and Nelson Mandela.

If Malala were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, she would be the youngest by far and one of just 15 female recipients.

The average age of the 100 individuals is 62, according to the Nobel foundation. The youngest Nobel Peace Prize laureate so far is Yemeni journalist Tawakkol Karman, who was 32 when he was awarded the honor in 2011.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/01/16811670-malala-teen-champion-of-girls-rights-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize?lite

7 Likes

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Maxymilliano(m): 2:32pm On Feb 04, 2013
To add to the above story, she has been operated and seems to be in a stable condition. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham confirmed that Malala Yousufzai, 15, underwent cranial reconstruction and cochlear implantation procedures yesterday and they are happy with her progress.

The teenager required the fitting of a custom-made titanium plate to repair damage to her skull, as well as a cochlear implant to help her recover hearing in her left ear. According to the Doctor, it could take "between 15 and 18 months" for any hearing to recover in her left ear.

Malala escaped death by a matter of inches when she was shot on October 9 last year - as the bullet entered just above her left eye and ran along her jaw - "grazing" her brain.

Despite the near death experience, She's incredibly determined to continue to speak for her cause.

I pray for her speedy recovery and looking forward to her clinching the Nobel Peace Prize for 2013... She deserves it, she also deserve our good wishes and prayers...

4 Likes

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by sleekch1c(f): 5:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
courageous child....God bless her!

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by JeSoul(f): 5:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
Fantastic nomination. She's really been through hell. I hope she's not targeted for the rest of her life...we all know how these extremists can be relentless.

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Maxymilliano(m): 5:10pm On Feb 04, 2013
JeSoul: Fantastic nomination. She's really been through hell. I hope she's not targeted for the rest of her life...we all know how these extremists can be relentless.

Gracias Muchas
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Eneze1(f): 5:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
good for her, just wish her well in her endeavors in life.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by yuzedo: 5:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
Damn!

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize/Nomination.... undecided
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by JeSoul(f): 5:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
Maxymilliano:

Gracias Muchas
de nada sir smiley. Thanks for submitting a nice topic.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by akos123: 5:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
She deserve it

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by fapcrook(m): 5:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
i hope she wins
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Asis(m): 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
Eyah,may God bless her..

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 04, 2013
Nobel Peace Prize is pretty much useless these days.

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by abdulkayus(m): 5:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
I realy hope she win so as to send message to dos xtremists pashtun hidin under d cloak of religion to perpretrate violence.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by TableLeg(m): 5:50pm On Feb 04, 2013
I guess i can win a Nobel peace prize too!
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by abdulkayus(m): 5:50pm On Feb 04, 2013
Prof Corruption: Nobel Peace Prize is pretty much useless these days.

esp wen Obomber won it last 3 years. Dat guy never deserve it dat year

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by razznaija(f): 5:51pm On Feb 04, 2013
Good for her, she deserves it.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by akunjohn(m): 5:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Quite courageous of her,i hope she clinch the award,she really deserve it.
Wish her speedy recovery.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 04, 2013
Great job from Nobel Prize Committee. I think it has become a prize for children with little substance.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by bukatyne(f): 6:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
This girl has the spirit I so much admire. Some people have the zeal to impact their world and will do even if they are thrown into a pit. I pray she recovers and contiune to speak for the women there. She might just be the person who would change the system of things in Pakistan.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by ibide(m): 6:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
Um!!! @ 15 she already have a voice to stand against evil men can a Nigeria girl make that happen ?
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by FXKing2012(m): 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
But is she not too young for this? Why is the Nobel prize c'mttee being sentimental?

I mean what has she really done to deserve this? Just because she got shot by the Taliban while campaigning for the girl-child education in Pakistan? What about all those shot in Mexico while campaigning against gun violence or those shot in New York for speaking against gangs and drug cartels?

I'm sure the Nobel prize c'mttee just want to spite the Taliban by this action.

I'm sure she doesnt even know the history of Nobel prize and what it really represents.

2 Likes

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Parnassuss(m): 6:16pm On Feb 04, 2013
I really wish I could run media and publicity for the Taliban, they shoot themselves in the foot with virtually every move they make.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 04, 2013
FXKing2012: But is she not too young for this? Why is the Nobel prize c'mttee being sentimental?

I mean what has she really done to deserve this? Just because she got shot by the Taliban while campaigning for the girl-child education in Pakistan? What about all those shot in Mexico while campaigning against gun violence or those shot in New York for speaking against gangs and drug cartels?

I'm sure the Nobel prize c'mttee just want to spite the Taliban by this action.

I'm sure she doesnt even know the history of Nobel prize and what it really represents.

Thank you very much.

I am not a muslim but this is pure western propaganda.

The girl can win awards for her bravery but not a nobel peace prize! C'mon!

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by yavo2: 7:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
Cool down...there is nothing wrong with the nomination. She does not need to know what its about. Those killed in mexico and usa may be one in thousands...but she is definitely one in a million!!!

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 04, 2013
yavo2: Cool down...there is nothing wrong with the nomination. She does not need to know what its about. Those killed in mexico and usa may be one in thousands...but she is definitely one in a million!!!

What did she do that hasnt been done before? Mtchew

1 Like

Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
she is Afghani by ethnicity.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Maxymilliano(m): 7:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

What did she do that hasnt been done before? Mtchew

Logic Boy, pls educate me by telling me 15 years old girl that have done what she did, especially in hostile climates where you contend with extremist

She may seem young to be nominated for such global award but to every rule there's exception, she did what she did without any consideration whatsoever for any award.
Re: Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 7:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
Maxymilliano:

Logic Boy, pls educate me by telling me 15 years old girl that have done what she did, especially in hostile climates where you contend with extremist

She may seem young to be nominated for such global award but to every rule there's exception, she did what she did without any consideration whatsoever for any award.
W[i]hat did she do? Please, kindly explain in details.[/i]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Ivory Coast Crisis - Another Perspective / Obama To Reveal Isis Strategy – But Pledges 'no Iraq War' - The guardian / US To Become The World's Largest Oil Producer By 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.