Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,921 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union (4638 Views)

Nelson Mandela Dead 2013” : Nobel Peace Prize 1993 Killed By Internet Death Hoax / Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize / Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of work in advancing peace in Europe.

The committee said the EU had helped to transform Europe "from a continent of war to a continent of peace".

The award comes as the EU faces the biggest crisis of its history, with recession and social unrest rocking many of its member states.

The last organisation to be given the award outright was Medecins Sans Frontieres, which won in 1999.

Announcing the award, Nobel committee president Thorbjoern Jagland acknowledged the EU's current financial problems and social unrest.

But he said the committee wanted to concentrate on the body's work over six decades of advancing "peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights".

Mr Jagland highlighted the EU's work in sealing the reconciliation between France and Germany in the decades after World War II.

It was a unanimous decision by the five-member panel of the Nobel committee, but also came as a surprise to many - not least the pundits who had variously speculated that perhaps the bloggers of the Arab Spring, or a Russian human rights groups might win.

The European Union's achievements are clear, and the Nobel committee has highlighted them. Focusing on a long-term view of the EU's activities the committee spoke of reconciliation following the two World Wars. It mentioned the integration of the Eastern Bloc countries, and the EU's role in delivering stability in the Balkans.

However, they picked a rather strange time to honour the organisation. The eurozone crisis has made the EU look more divided and fragile than it has for decades.

And he praised the organisation for incorporating Spain, Portugal and Greece after their authoritarian regimes collapsed in the 1970s.

The EU's reconciliation work had now moved to Balkan countries, he said, and pointed out that Croatia was on the verge of membership.

Reacting to the award, EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said on his Twitter feed: "It is a great honour for the whole of the EU, all 500 million citizens, to be awarded the 2012 Nobel Peace prize."

The BBC's Europe correspondent Matthew Price says the EU's achievements are clear, but the committee has picked a strange time to highlight them.

The eurozone crisis has made the EU look more divided and fragile than it has for decades, he says.

The Nobel committee has rarely shied away from controversy with its choice of winner.

US President Barack Obama won the award in 2009, despite leading a country that was fighting two separate wars.

And the choice of detained Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo in 2010 enraged China, which made an official complaint to Norway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19921072
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Afam4eva(m): 12:20pm On Oct 12, 2012
So, even group sef dey win Nobel prize? That means Massob has hope. They're the only militant group that don't destry lives and property. I expect that they'll be given the Nobel peace prize next year.

5 Likes

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Maxymilliano(m): 12:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
Well deserved, thought the Sultan was a strong contender
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
Well, seeing that Nobel prizes are not like sports awards that are given strictly to the best performers of the year, it's safe to say that this award is well-deserved. With a heritage of war and destruction from previous centuries, Europe gives me hope that we Africans will one day put aside our linguistic loyalties (a relic of the colonial era), come together and integrate our economies the way they have done.

The African Union will get there one day. I hope.

1 Like

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by maclatunji: 1:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
HNosegbe: Well, seeing that Nobel prizes are not like sports awards that are given strictly to the best performers of the year, it's safe to say that this award is well-deserved. With a heritage of war and destruction from previous centuries, Europe gives me hope that we Africans will one day put aside our linguistic loyalties (a relic of the colonial era), come together and integrate our economies the way they have done.

The African Union will get there one day. I hope.

You have got to be kidding here. The European Union? They might as well give it to China for feeding and maintaining over 1 billion human beings and keeping them out of war for decades. tongue
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
maclatunji:

You have got to be kidding here. The European Union? They might as well give it to China for feeding and maintaining over 1 billion human beings and keeping them out of war for decades. tongue

Why exactly are you against the award? Please refute the points I made. I don't get your analogy.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by BrutusOj(m): 5:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
Y nt sultan of sokoto wink wink
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by DANILSA(m): 5:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
MAYBE IF NOT FOR NIGERIAN CRISIS AND BOKOHARAM SULTAN COULD HAVE SNATCHED IT. embarassed angry
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Okontami: 5:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
I miss KULIKULI. KULI KULI and Garri, please when will I have you?? Home sweet Home
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by gidiMonsta(m): 5:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva: So, even group sef dey win Nobel prize? That means Massob has hope. They're the only militant group that don't destry lives and property. I expect that they'll be given the Nobel peace prize next year.

Your post reminds me of Rick Ross's verse in onyinye rmx; "...we talking money, u talking nonsense..."
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by cold(m): 5:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
HNosegbe:

Why exactly are you against the award? Please refute the points I made. I don't get your analogy.

Same here. I'm struggling to make sense of the...well statement
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by gidiMonsta(m): 5:46pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: MAYBE IF NOT FOR NIGERIAN CRISIS AND BOKOHARAM SULTAN COULD HAVE SNATCHED IT. embarassed angry

...and what exactly has he done to promote peace in Nigeria? I've met the man before and he comes across as someone who's very intelligent and humble but I feel there's a lot he can do to help bring sanity to the north and save Nigeria the perennial embarrassment emanating from there.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Kslib(m): 5:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
HNosegbe: Well, seeing that Nobel prizes are not like sports awards that are given strictly to the best performers of the year, it's safe to say that this award is well-deserved. With a heritage of war and destruction from previous centuries, Europe gives me hope that we Africans will one day put aside our linguistic loyalties (a relic of the colonial era), come together and integrate our economies the way they have done.

The African Union will get there one day. I hope .
My grandfather also hoped the same thing,but never lived to see it come to reality.. Do you know why he never saw that day? Cos everybody was busy hoping and nobody was ready to integrate the african economy.. Well,i myself just hope that one day it will happen.. I also hope that i will live to see that day.. I also hope tha things doesn't get worse instead of better.. I just hope .. Funny as it may seem,The foundation of our hope lies on the shoulders of those who don't rely on hope ...

4 Likes

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Afam4eva(m): 5:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Your post reminds me of Rick Ross's verse in onyinye rmx; "...we talking money, u talking nonsense..."
The Nobel prize is about pride and honour and not money...Who's talking nonsense now?
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by gidiMonsta(m): 5:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
cold:

Same here. I'm struggling to make sense of the...well statement

He has a point though; Why give a group a nobel peace price for basically not starting another world war like they're wont to do?
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by gidiMonsta(m): 5:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
The Nobel prize is about pride and honour and not money...Who's talking nonsense now?

My reference to that line of the song was an analogy, for you to infer that I meant something else says a lot about your IQ. Please keep Biafra/Massob away from this thread, this is foreign affairs abeg before you people start another tribal war on here.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Afam4eva(m): 5:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
gidiMonsta:

My reference to that line of the song was an analogy, for you to infer that I meant something else says a lot about your IQ. Please keep Biafra/Massob away from this thread, this is foreign affairs abeg before you people start another tribal war on here.
After opening your yansh, you're talking analogy...

1 Like

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by gidiMonsta(m): 6:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
After opening your yansh, you're talking analogy...

I give up, you're confirmed retard. tongue No wonder dayokanu and ileke-idi dey always mess you up.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Godmann(m): 6:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
Europe, the slave masters of our world has become an umpire in their own game. funny. As usual, our brainwashed brothers will never get it. They'll always queue behind the masters Europe.

4 Likes

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
gidiMonsta:

I give up, you're confirmed retard. tongue No wonder dayokanu and ileke-idi dey always mess you up.
You started the stup1dity and now that the heat is one you're giving up. Next time learn not to mess with people with superior wisdom because it will come back to bite you. I'm your intellectual god, bow down and worship me...
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Kslib(m): 6:20pm On Oct 12, 2012
Godman_n: Europe, the slave masters of our world has become an umpire in their own game. funny. As usual, our brainwashed brothers will never get it. They'll always queue behind the masters Europe.
Exactly!!! I think some people on the internet have come to that awareness,and some dont just want to accept that fact for some strange reasons... Another problem is that the majority of the brainwashed individuals dont even have access to the internet.. Another very very big problem is that the people who we put in charge of our welfare,have also been brainwashed.

1 Like

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by pazienza(m): 6:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
Godman_n: Europe, the slave masters of our world has become an umpire in their own game. funny. As usual, our brainwashed brothers will never get it. They'll always queue behind the masters Europe.

Thanks.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by jidestar: 6:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
This is just funny. A regional government winning nobel peace prize.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Truman155(m): 6:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
The noble price is loosing its value its like a nigerian stuff now thank god 4 god
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by juman(m): 6:49pm On Oct 12, 2012
Congratulations to the European Union.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by gidiMonsta(m): 7:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
You started the stup1dity and now that the heat is one you're giving up. Next time learn not to mess with people with superior wisdom because it will come back to bite you. I'm your intellectual god, bow down and worship me...

Hehehe...this is serious, all hail NL's resident retarrrd (sic)...god afam.

How on earth can the heat be one? (We'll let that slide as a typo, even if 'e' is very far from 'n' or spacebar.) cheesy

I believe u meant 'superior intellect' not 'wisdom' which I really doubt u possess considering my IQ is far far above 55, the threshold of ur type.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Afam4eva(m): 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Hehehe...this is serious, all hail NL's resident retarrrd (sic)...god afam.

How on earth can the heat be one? (We'll let that slide as a typo, even if 'e' is very far from 'n' or spacebar.) cheesy

I believe u meant 'superior intellect' not 'wisdom' which I really doubt u possess considering my IQ is far far above 55, the threshold of ur type.
Now you have to stoop to the level of correcting my grammar. I'll advice you enroll yourself into an adult education center and work on your intellect. While you're at it, ask for a refund from all the schools you've attended thus far. It's obvious your education is a waste.

1 Like

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by RealMccoy2(m): 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Truman155: The noble price is loosing its value its like a nigerian stuff now thank god 4 god
There was one Yoruba guy here called Prof.Corruption that was trying to defend noble price, I felt bad for that fool because the free oluwole education he got was a waste. EU is a joke, same people that kept mute when ethnic cleansing was happening on their nose in eastern Europe, EU petroleum companies are polluting Niger Delta environment while they secretly send arms to Nigeria's military to silence indigenes of the host communities. Noble award was given to Arafat, a well known terrorist leader.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by juman(m): 7:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
Julian Assange deserved to have it than others.
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Builder: 7:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
International Award created by us, won by us and dedicated to us.. This is the same award committee that gave war criminals Henry Kissinger, Barack obama, Shimon Peres amongst others the peace prize... i laff in european language eu eu eu eu eu

Giving Europe the peace prize to Europe for peace and promoting democrazy makes me laugh, the same continenet that promotes war in Libya, Syria and already in Iran, the continent that for decades have destroyed the lives on mamy in Congo, ivory coast, ruwanda etc....

2 Likes

Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by ektbear: 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
How can they dash themselves award like that?

Lol.

How about you give the award to the US for maintaining the peace in Europe?

Or China for uplifting 1 billion+ people out of poverty and hunger, as maclatunji said?

This Nobel Peace Prize is an absolute joke
Re: Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
Good for continent of the prize.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Earthquake Test Goes Horribly Wrong! / From King Lobengula To Zimbabwe: How The British Tried To Steal The Land. / Horror Faced By non-sunnis In Iraq.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.