Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers (1134 Views)

Delta State To Create 6,000 Direct Jobs In Six Months Through Entrepreneurship / Regions And States That Won 2011 Election For PDP. / Collapse States Boundaries, Create 6 Regions, Devolve Powers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Davvyy(m): 8:10am On Feb 02, 2013
“As a country we did not need 36 states, 774 Local Government Councils or the number of ministries we have today…….. at the moment 70 per cent of Federal Government’s revenue goes for payment of salaries and entitlement of civil servants, leaving 30 per cent for development of 167 million Nigerians…..(Sanusi, CBN Gov.)

“The problem with Nigeria is the 36 states and the 774 governments. We don’t need them, if we want to develop.” (Dasuki, Former Sultan)

The 36-State structure of Nigeria is clearly not going to take us far. Several issues can be cited in support of this assertion.... click link below (or copy and paste on browser) to read full article:

http://www.viewpointnigeria.com/opinion-mob/item/191-collapse-state-boundaries-create-6-regions-devolve-powers
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by bigboss80s(m): 8:32am On Feb 02, 2013
Moderator, front page pls!!
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 02, 2013
I don't agree that the local governments should be scrapped. What we need is to grant them more autonomy and greater responsibilities, and then hold them accountable at that level. Development will not come from Abuja, it will be driven from the grassroots.

Scrap the states and revert to the regional structure. But retain the local governments.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by slimming: 8:59am On Feb 02, 2013
Corruption is our major problem not the system
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Sealeddeal(m): 11:17am On Feb 02, 2013
Corruption is a symptom of nigeria problem and not the problem itself.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 02, 2013
The internal colonial masters will never agree.

You mean the likes of OBJ and the Sultan will forfeit their oil wells?

You never talk wetin dey hungry you, na civil war?
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2013
The 36 states and 774 local govt has actually solved the problem of fear of domination and ethnic tension which were woes of regionalism !!!

If states were abolished.....then we go back to the problems of the 60s!!!
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 02, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by GAR3TH(m): 3:11pm On Feb 02, 2013
donroxy: The 36 states and 774 local govt has actually solved the problem of fear of domination and ethnic tension which were woes of regionalism !!!

The current States and LGA has never solved fear of domination and ethnic tension, what history are you reading. If you look at the majority of states, there is always one ethnic groups that dominates and the minorities are left out. Tell me one state that is 100% homogeneous? Aren't we still having communal clashes between groups? Regardless of how many times you split states people and groups will always be dissatisfied with the outcome.

We need to go back to regions, that is a simple fact because the current structure is sucking the nation dry of funds. Each region can be divided into LGAs in order to solve any ethnic or territorial issues that arise. The nation saves money and develops faster by cutting the unnecessary overhead cost of the 36 state 774 LGA structure. If any one complains, about them being group with someone else, tell them to shut up and deal with it.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by tomakint: 5:23pm On Feb 02, 2013
@ OP, you have spoken like an ORACLE, this has been the problem of Nigeria of today and will remain perennial unless we fashion out a better alternative to it, you may read up my stuff here;https://www.nairaland.com/964274/tale-country-multi-coloured-system-government
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 02, 2013
GAR3TH:

The current States and LGA has never solved fear of domination and ethnic tension, what history are you reading. If you look at the majority of states, there is always one ethnic groups that dominates and the minorities are left out. Tell me one state that is 100% homogeneous? Aren't we still having communal clashes between groups? Regardless of how many times you split states people and groups will always be dissatisfied with the outcome.

We need to go back to regions, that is a simple fact because the current structure is sucking the nation dry of funds. Each region can be divided into LGAs in order to solve any ethnic or territorial issues that arise. The nation saves money and develops faster by cutting the unnecessary overhead cost of the 36 state 774 LGA structure. If any one complains, about them being group with someone else, tell them to shut up and deal with it.
Oga,

U wanto tell an independent people with independent values and norms to ''Shut da fuc.k up and deal with it''........u go have plenty mutiny and musili oooo .....hmmm!!!

I aint saying state creation has totally eradicated community/ethnic agitation/tension. No matter the number of state created even 500 to represent d number of 500 dialects spoken ,there will still be agitation!!!

Within Homogenous community there is agitation!! But the states created so far has helped reduced such tension and agitations experienced during regional system.........!!!

E.g An Igboman can't tell a Calabar man what to do with Cross River same goes with Efik or Ibiobio (Ndigbo,bikonu ooo) same goes with Ondo and Ekiti man(even when both has alot of similarities)

Atleast,diving Nigeria into states is a very good development.......now,each state shd be given that autonomy has required by Federal System of Government to develop the people so grouped under HER!!!
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by GAR3TH(m): 10:03pm On Feb 02, 2013
donroxy:
Oga,

U wanto tell an independent people with independent values and norms to ''Shut da fuc.k up and deal with it''........u go have plenty mutiny and musili oooo .....hmmm!!!

I aint saying state creation has totally eradicated community/ethnic agitation/tension. No matter the number of state created even 500 to represent d number of 500 dialects spoken ,there will still be agitation!!!

Within Homogenous community there is agitation!! But the states created so far has helped reduced such tension and agitations experienced during regional system.........!!!

E.g An Igboman can't tell a Calabar man what to do with Cross River same goes with Efik or Ibiobio (Ndigbo,bikonu ooo) same goes with Ondo and Ekiti man(even when both has alot of similarities)

Atleast,diving Nigeria into states is a very good development.......now,each state shd be given that autonomy has required by Federal System of Government to develop the people so grouped under HER!!!

Hence why I said deal with it, Nigerians act like they are the only Diverse nation in this world. Why aren't other diverse nations calling for state creation?

Also regarding the highlighted, During regions, how can an Igboman tell a calabar man what to do? Regions were divided into different LGA like areas and had individual governments below the regions. So how can an Igbo man tell a calabar man what to do if they are in different divisions.

Regardless, Nigeria the creation of states in Nigeria was pointless and only added additional overhead cost to run new useless governments.

Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Dede1(m): 10:39pm On Feb 02, 2013
I say collapse Nigeria and would not mind if 777 nations emerged out of Nigerian ruins.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 1:50am On Feb 03, 2013
GAR3TH:

Hence why I said deal with it, Nigerians act like they are the only Diverse nation in this world. Why aren't other diverse nations calling for state creation?

Also regarding the highlighted, During regions, how can an Igboman tell a calabar man what to do? Regions were divided into different LGA like areas and had individual governments below the regions. So how can an Igbo man tell a calabar man what to do if they are in different divisions.

Regardless, Nigeria the creation of states in Nigeria was pointless and only added additional overhead cost to run new useless governments.

ohh,I was thinking 60s when we had eastern Nigeria thus my Igboman-calabar man Analogy......forgotten we have SS now!!!!

We won't exhaust dis Issue......but I understand u.......!!!!

And I still hold that ,If the present system that we have is being administered as required,we won't be in dis mess!!!!

But it is never the system/structure but those who stir the system,that are bad!!!

Even,lets have Regionalism as far as we don't have mutual respect and value for our diversity....my,brother it still gonna be same thing!!!

Power should really be devolved!!!
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 1:58am On Feb 03, 2013
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 2:16am On Feb 03, 2013
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Sibrah: 3:22am On Feb 03, 2013
What we need, to me, is restructuring of the three levels of Government in Nigeria. The states should be merge into total of 18 (two states will be merged into one e.g. Lagos/Ogun) to reduce overhead of running them, allow for economic integration as well as support the 6 region Some Nigerians are agitating for (3 states per region X 6 = 18 states). The LGAs can be merged or left the way they are but must get additional responsibilities that will help maintain reduced ethnic/communal tension as well awaken them from their slumber. Last but not the least, the FG should switch to the role of monitoring the use of fund by the States and LGAs as against their current role of grabbing it all for themselves.
The last point above is bound to weaken the FG and likely strengthen region that want to breakaway.
Above all, i think a revolution against the general theiving class will provide a more timely answer to the issue of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 3:28am On Feb 03, 2013
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by pazienza(m): 4:09am On Feb 03, 2013
Dede1: I say collapse Nigeria and would not mind if 777 nations emerged out of Nigerian ruins.

Exactly. San marino is a country in europe,yet my lga,idemili north has more population than san marino. The people of san marino are still better off than most nigerians.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by pazienza(m): 4:14am On Feb 03, 2013
donroxy: ohh,I was thinking 60s when we had eastern Nigeria thus my Igboman-calabar man Analogy......forgotten we have SS now!!!!

We won't exhaust dis Issue......but I understand u.......!!!!

And I still hold that ,If the present system that we have is being administered as required,we won't be in dis mess!!!!

But it is never the system/structure but those who stir the system,that are bad!!!

Even,lets have Regionalism as far as we don't have mutual respect and value for our diversity....my,brother it still gonna be same thing!!!

Power should really be devolved!!!

You are talking about the igboman-calabar man scenario,like cross river is perfect, what do you think that those minorities in the northern part of cross river think about you efiks? When the whole money made for the state had been channeled into developing calabar(efikland) and you efiks looking down on them as inferiors,even giving them nick names. Abeg pack one side.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 03, 2013
pazienza:

You are talking about the igboman-calabar man scenario,like cross river is perfect, what do you think that those minorities in the northern part of cross river think about you efiks? When the whole money made for the state had been channeled into developing calabar(efikland) and you efiks looking down on them as inferiors,even giving them nick names. Abeg pack one side.

I don't understand all this your ''you Efik''....... Am not an Efik!!!

We re talking about structures and system in relation to the diversity of our country.........No body is Insulting any Tribe/Ethnic........ Mayb u shd read this thread from the begining again so U gonna understand better....!!!!

how has Efik offended u to warrant all this trash..................and Thanks,cuz I don Park-wellwell!!!
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Clerverly: 4:31pm On Feb 03, 2013
donroxy: The 36 states and 774 local govt has actually solved the problem of fear of domination and ethnic tension which were woes of regionalism !!!

But dont you think that the problems of 60's were better managed than the present day problems
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 03, 2013
@Sibrah,
U ve really made a Good point there...... The Central could manage the Military and supervision of other Armed Forces within the Nation as well as Foreign Affairs.....This shd helped against weakening the central thus ''Break-away''.........!!!

Clerverly:
But dont you think that the problems of 60's were better managed than the present day problems

I actually believed we have all evolved and the world has also changed too..... So are the problems and prospects of the world and techniques of managing them unlike in the 60s!!!!

We had adopted Regionalism and I believed the problems that emanated from it led to the creation of states......!!!
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by pazienza(m): 12:55am On Feb 04, 2013
donroxy:

I don't understand all this your ''you Efik''....... Am not an Efik!!!

We re talking about structures and system in relation to the diversity of our country.........No body is Insulting any Tribe/Ethnic........ Mayb u shd read this thread from the begining again so U gonna understand better....!!!!

how has Efik offended u to warrant all this trash..................and Thanks,cuz I don Park-wellwell!!!

Sowie dear, i didn't mean to offend you. So sorry.
Re: Collapse State Boundaries, Create 6 Regions And Devolve Powers by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 04, 2013
pazienza:

Sowie dear, i didn't mean to offend you. So sorry.
welcome brother!!

(1) (Reply)

Why There Is No Boko Haram In Zamfara – Yari / 80% Nigerians Want American Troops To Be Deploy In Northern Nigeria 'video' / Start Writing Your Handover Notes – Amaechi, Others Tells Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.