Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana (7529 Views)

Senate Moves To Amend CCB, Administration Of Criminal Justice / [PHOTOS] 7 Powerful Nigerians EFCC Has Gone After Since Buhari Came To Power / Senate Passes Criminal Justice Bill, Confirms Nweze Supreme Court Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 9:30am On Feb 02, 2013
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/powerful-nigerians-have-hijack-criminal-justice-falana/

Powerful Nigerians have hijack criminal justice – Falana
on FEBRUARY 2, 2013 · in SPECIAL REPORT
5:00 am

By Ishola Balogun
To so many people, the conviction of Mr John Yakubu Yusufu for two years with the option of a paltry sum of N750,000 is more of a tasteless joke than a bitter reality.

While Yusufu diverted N23 billion Police Pension Fund, Adepoju Jamiu, 23, living in Ondo who was accused of stealing a China Blackberry phone worth N17, 000 was not so lucky as the Ikare Magistrate Court sentenced him to three years imprisonment without an option of fine.

Like Yusufu, Jamiu also pleaded guilty to the charge. Just last year, somebody stole a bush meat in Edo state and he was sentenced to three years imprisonment. But how can we compare that with the pension thief who stole billions and denied pensioners from their benefits and yet got his freedom after paying a paltry sum from his wallet.

Recall that the former Governor of Edo State, Lucky Igbinedion who was found guilty by a Federal High Court in Enugu of embezzling N2.9 billion, got his freedom after paying a fine of N3.5million. Although he was made to refund about 500 million and forfeited three of his properties to the government.

Similarly, the former Managing Director of Oceanic Bank got a six-month jail term having been found guilty of fraud. She was also made to forfeit over N150 billion in assets and cash.

As a result of the biting public outcry on the judgement, Saturday Vanguard sought the opinion of all classes of people on the issue.

For those who have studied the trend and how lawyers manipulate the technicalities of the law, they are not stunned by the development. To them, it only proved further that the much talked about fight against corruption by this administration is only a fluke and a mockery of the judiciary system.

Front line lawyer and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Femi Falana said the development did not come to him as a surprise because it followed the pattern of previous sentences on most of the big scam in the country.

According to him, “This development follows the particular pattern of treating the rich with kid gloves while other people are being railroaded to jail. In previous cases, it has always been light sentences for the rich, like the case of former Governor Lucky Igbinedion who was asked to pay a fine of N3million; Cecelia Ibru was asked to forfeit to the government hundreds of millions of naira.”

On the penal code which the House of Representatives has vowed to change, the human rights lawyer said the Senate would have reduced the punishment for the offence essentially to guarantee a safe landing for the offenders.

“All the senate has done essentially is to produce a safe landing for the offender which is a problem.” Querying the rationale behind new law, he stated that there is no need for a new law on criminal justice.

“There was a judgment of Lagos High Court which has said that while the death penalty may be said to be guaranteed or recognised by the constitution, the manner of execution of any human being either by hanging or electrocution or by any other means, you cannot execute the judgement because it offends the right to dignity of the person because if you put a rope on his neck, it is barbaric and unconstitutional and it is illegal.

So, also the 2011 law on terrorism which is stringent to include life imprisonment. So, we don’t need new laws to deal with terrorism,” he stated.

The former governor of Edo State, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, however expressed shock when he heard about the judgement. “I was shocked when I heard the judgement. Somebody first threw a joke to me saying it pays to be a thief.

He said the person who stole the police pension fund will not go to jail but he only got a N750,000 fine. I was shocked.

“The next morning, it was confirmed when newspapers published the story. I felt so concerned that I had to call a friend who is a lawyer. But the lawyer told me the offence to which the man was charged has a maximum of two years imprisonment.”

The former governor maintained that some aspects of our laws as they relate to the penal system must be looked into adding that there was need to create special court for corruption charges. “In any case, I think the judge would have insisted that the man goes to prison. I think something is wrong with our laws and it is bad that we make a mockery of our judicial system.

“There are so many technicalities that make everything laughable. Other people are watching and it is in the same society that somebody was discussing a death penalty for kidnappers.

Somebody who kidnaps can have a death sentence while somebody who stole billions of naira or facilitated the theft of money belonging to pensioners who couldn’t send their children to school because they are not getting their pension as and when due can get two-year jail term with an option of fine of N750,000? It doesn’t make sense.

We must look at our laws again and make necessary amendments. We should also create special courts for corruption charges. Again, the judicial procedures must be changed to make it more simplified.”

Commenting on the judgment, Falana blamed the court stressing that it implies that the court displayed solidarity in this case.

He maintained that a few Nigerians have hijacked the criminal justice system in the country. “The powerful rich in Nigeria have hijacked criminal justice in Nigeria with connivance of the bar and the bench. So, it is important for Nigerians not to isolate a few of these cases, but they have to be examined holistically.”

On the new charge against Yusufu, Falana said the commission will do better this time in seeing that justice is done adding that the punishment for the new offence which is failure to declare assets attracts five years imprisonment.

Abia State Attorney-General, Barrister Kalu Umeh, explained that the judge must have related the offence under the law which the man was charged. “Why it is generating so much outcry is because so much has been talked about the amount involved.

But one can say it is abysmal and it does not reflect the seriousness of the offence but I think it was as a result of not having good penal system.

“However, I will say that everybody knows that there is a need for us to fight corruption and if people are found guilty of this kind of offence and let go with this kind of judgment, then that does not show that we have proper penal system.

Something is wrong with the system. I understand that he was asked to forfeit some of his property but apart from property forfeiture, there is the need to set example as a deterrence to others.”

He stated that the judge may be absolved of blame in the sense that he interpreted the law the way it is. “If the judge is found to be right meaning that he rightly interpreted the law, what we need to do is to go back to the drawing board to amend those things that are wrong.”

On the option of fine, he added that it all depends on the facts before the judge adding that the prosecution has the right of appeal as a remedy to the situation if unsatisfied.

“Justice is not only for the few, it is for the society. The money the man diverted is public money and that is why we have this outcry. It is also a challenge to our lawmakers to go back to the table in a bid to strengthen our penal system so that anybody found guilty of corruption will be appropriately dealt with.”
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 02, 2013
Who's to blame?
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by slimming: 9:44am On Feb 02, 2013
Femi you are right.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by omiobo: 10:23am On Feb 02, 2013
where do we go from here?
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by OurYansh: 10:47am On Feb 02, 2013
J12: Who's to blame?

I'll answer you, but Wait let me consult the gods first....

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 10:59am On Feb 02, 2013
omiobo: where do we go from here?

This is why some us hold that, fundamentally, the PDP has to go. No PDP President, since 1999, has shown an interest in the genuine reform of critical/transformational sectors that can turn around Nigeria drastically. We do not need to belabour the notion that a strong judiciary is needed to negate the lawlessness and "justice for sale" impunity now consuming and shaming Nigeria.

What then are Nigerian Presidents playing at, doing the opposite of what is required, deploying AGF/Minister of justice who are ultra-corrupt and morally bankrupt men like Aondoakaa and Adoke-Bello? Yet we all saw Yar Adua and GEJ, of their own free will, respectively go for those worthless and destructive characters while shunning the many distinguished and upright disciples of the law Nigeria parades. This is the biggest clue PDP Presidents are not dedicated to critical reform.

If you want to deliver reform you must seek out genuine reformers. The likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Agbakoba et al were/are there. Some have gone to jail many times for Nigeria and stood up to the worst dictator our Nation has known. Yet successive PDP President shun those men to make corrupt crooks our AGF because those Presidents, self-destructively, are merely interested in immoral men who can help them continue the effort to make our judiciary a subjective tool that is institutionally weak and only capable of abetting the warped agenda of the rich and powerful in society.

"By their appointees ye shall know them". Simple as that. We are going nowhere when successive President shun brilliant, distinguished and fearless disciples of the law to empower crooks, mediocrities and cheap extortionists who will use the office of AGF/Minister of justice as a tool of massive self aggrandizement and an instrument with which to pervert and undermine justice.

11 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by uzeba(m): 11:05am On Feb 02, 2013
In naija just serve God and live ur life!! And u will enjoy this nation!

2 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by pboiskinpy(m): 11:06am On Feb 02, 2013
@op,sori I no fit read dis long story jaree...
#some1 should summarize am for me abeqqq

#jux sleeping n waiting
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by ceejayluv(m): 11:09am On Feb 02, 2013
Thought the past tense of hijack is "hijacked"....
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by oddy4real(m): 11:14am On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

This is why some us hold that, fundamentally, the PDP has to go. No PDP President, since 1999, has shown an interest in the genuine reform of critical/transformational sectors that can turn around Nigeria drastically. We do not need to belabour the notion that a strong judiciary is needed to negate the lawlessness and "justice for sale" impunity now consuming and shaming Nigeria.

What then are Nigerian Presidents playing at, doing the opposite of what is required, deploying AGF/Minister of justice who are ultra-corrupt and morally bankrupt men like Aondoakaa and Adoke-Bello? Yet we all saw Yar Adua and GEJ, of their own free will, respectively go for those worthless and destructive characters while shunning the many distinguished and upright disciples of the law Nigeria parades. This is the biggest clue PDP Presidents are not dedicated to critical reform.

If you want to deliver reform you must seek out genuine reformers. The likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Agbakoba et al were/are there. Some have gone to jail many times for Nigeria and stood up to the worst dictator our Nation has known. Yet successive PDP President shun those men to make corrupt crooks our AGF because those Presidents, self-destructively, are merely interested in immoral men who can help them continue the effort to make our judiciary a subjective tool that is institutionally weak and only capable of abetting the warped agenda of the rich and powerful in society.

"By their appointees ye shall know them". Simple as that. We are going nowhere when successive President shun brilliant, distinguished and fearless disciples of the law to empower crooks, mediocrities and cheap extortionists who will use the office of AGF/Minister of justice as a tool of massive self aggrandizement and an instrument with which to pervert and undermine justice.
A.C.N goon, I won't blame you for your obsession with the PDP. U are earning your pay!

2 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by BlackPeni5: 11:15am On Feb 02, 2013
Is this news?

Its like telling me I'm a nigerian male.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by theripper2: 11:19am On Feb 02, 2013
Corruption is our Religion

Corruption unites us

Corruption is ubiquitous in all spheres of the economy

Corruption has destroyed the country.

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by honeric01(m): 11:20am On Feb 02, 2013
the_ripper2: Corruption is our Religion

Corruption unites us

Corruption is ubiquitous in all spheres of the economy

Corruption has destroyed the country.

And the people are doing nothing about it.

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by seanet01: 11:22am On Feb 02, 2013
oddy4real:
A.C.N goon, I won't blame you for your obsession with the PDP. U are earning your pay!
Look at this Ediot.
Where is the obsession in the post?
More like some of you don't actually have functional brains.

3 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Mobinga: 11:24am On Feb 02, 2013
Is there no past-tense for hijack?
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by theripper2: 11:24am On Feb 02, 2013
honeric01:

Chairman, e b like say u no sabi say na Plutocracy we dey practice for Naija. Plebeians no fit do anytin.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 11:28am On Feb 02, 2013
Black Peni5: Is this news?

Its like telling me I'm a nigerian male.

It is not news but we reach a new low every day that shames even the most patriotic and proud Nigerians. A jobless hungry man steals yam and is sent to jail for 3 years with no option of a fine. A crooked public administrator admits to stealing billions and literally condemning many to misery yet he is given a paltry N175,000.00 fine he reaches into his babariga to pay immediately.

There is a lot seriously wrong with Nigeria and those wrongs are now even more amplified because they have died out or are dying out everywhere else. Did we all not see the justice dished out to Ibori in the UK? Nations that used to be alongside us in uselessness are cleaning up their act. We are now virtually alone displaying pariah and aberrant conduct to be seen in mainly failed nations and Banana republics. That should concern all right-thinking Nigerians.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by honeric01(m): 11:28am On Feb 02, 2013
the_ripper2:

Chairman, e b like say u no sabi say na Plutocracy we dey practice for Naija. Plebeians no fit do anytin.

Majority of Nigerians are sheep so there's nothing we can do for now.

Remember that majority make things happen faster.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Samabu07(m): 11:28am On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

You be Law Grad?

If you want to deliver reform you must seek out genuine reformers. The likes of Falana, Fawehinmi, Agbakoba et al were/are there. Some have gone to jail many times for Nigeria and stood up to the worst dictator our Nation has known. Yet successive PDP President shun those men to make corrupt crooks our AGF because those Presidents, self-destructively, are merely interested in immoral men who can help them continue the effort to make our judiciary a subjective tool that is institutionally weak and only capable of abetting the warped agenda of the rich and
powerful in society.

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Gbawe: 11:31am On Feb 02, 2013
seanet01: Look at this Ediot.
Where is the obsession in the post?
More like some of you don't actually have functional brains.

Seanet01, one thing you must accept is that Nairaland will bring you into contact with all manners of cretins, imbeciles, m0r0ns and lowlifes you would never associate with normally and of your own free will. That said, you have the option of ignoring those sort here. You don't have to dignify their idiocy with a response.

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by makhany4t1(m): 11:33am On Feb 02, 2013
Mark my words he's going to use less than N300m to clean up the N2.3bn he stole. That's the way its done...I love Naija
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by BlackPeni5: 11:35am On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

It is not news but we reach a new low every day that shames even the most patriotic and proud Nigerians. A jobless hungry man steals yam and is sent to jail for 3 years with no option of a fine. A crooked public administrator admits to stealing billions and literally condemning many to misery yet he is given a paltry N175,000.00 fine he reaches into his babariga to pay immediately.

There is a lot seriously wrong with Nigeria and hose wrongs are now even more amplified because they have died out or are dying out everywhere else. Nations that used to be alongside us in uselessness are cleaning up their act. We are now virtually alone displaying some aberrant conduct to be seen in mainly failed nations and Banana republics. That should concern all right-thinking Nigerians.

First of all I'm not a right thinking Nigerian cos all right thinking Nigerians are the thieves...corruption is encouraged in schools churches and even homes.
Secondly, these problems precede PDP as it existed before democracy
Thirdly, I may have supported ACN but everyday I pay toll along Lekki, I hate ACN the more.

3 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Joe50(m): 11:36am On Feb 02, 2013
If you are working with government and you want to steal please still billions or trillions of naira grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy so that you can get a little jail term a small fine of money cool cool cool grin grin grin grin

but if na small money u mistake steal, hmmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed na u no ooooo
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 02, 2013
The level of crime committed is inversely related to the penalties. Steal big time,and get a lesser sentence.

1 Like

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Joey82(m): 11:40am On Feb 02, 2013
honeric01:

what can the people do?
most of the masses are also corrupt in their little ways.
they just lack the opurtunity since they aint in the corridors of power.
hw many ordinary people have had the opurtunity to serve and really came out incorruptible
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 02, 2013
Until we start death penalty dat will be the only solution to stop corruption by 95%. Trust me I know what am saying. Nigerians don't like to die especially the rich.

2 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by honeric01(m): 11:43am On Feb 02, 2013
Joey82:

what can the people do?
most of the masses are also corrupt in their little ways.
they just lack the opurtunity since they aint in the corridors of power.
hw many ordinary people have had the opurtunity to serve and really came out incorruptible

This is just the gospel truth, so we're getting the reward of the seeds we planted as a country.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by EagleNest(m): 11:43am On Feb 02, 2013
Symptoms of a 'failed state' disease!
The supposedly last hope of common man which we called the judiciary is hopeless itself.
Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by thelastPope(m): 11:45am On Feb 02, 2013
Gbawe:

The problem I have with you ACN folks is that you turn everything into a political campaign and have no true love for Nigeria. Simple questions for you:

1. Why have the opposition never sponsored bills to change these laws?

2. Do the opposition have to wait for them to produce a president to sponsor these bills? No matter the party in power in the USA, the opposition will always raise and try to push through, bills that reflect their ideology, whether they are passed on not. That is what they actually use in their campaign to come back to power.

3. Why have the opposition never implemented or championed anti-corruption laws and projects in their controlled states. Their states are as corrupt as any PDP states and sometimes even more as they perpetuate a one man rule system.

4. Why are opposition members of NASS part and parcel of the corruption in the NASS? They are all represented in all the corrupt committees in the house of reps and have never raised objections to corruption. I would have expected them to expose the ruling party practices in the house and actually use that as springboards to gain public acceptance, but they have chosen instead to be part and parcel of the corruption and only come out to say GEJ is corrupt when they want to do a political campaign.

So when you say PDP must go, I wonder what you mean. Which PDP? Go where? In the last two presidential elections, ACN has presented two former PDP persons as their presidential candidates. In 2007, ACN presented Atiku Abubarkar, one of the biggest thieves in Nigeria, as their presidential candidate. In 2011, the ACN again presented a former PDP person as their presidential candidate and the ACN leader was in Aso rock to make a deal with PDP and collect agunje. How are they going to now fight corruption? The last governorship candidate for ACN in Akwa Ibom state was a former PDP senator who for 8 good years, did nothing in the senate but collect money. The list can go on and on. Even the twitter warlord El Rufai was a former PDP corrupt politician who sold lands in Abuja to his cronies. Are these the alternative that would fight corruption?

The antidote to good governance is pressure from the people, not your proposed exchange of kettle with pot! Most of you keep showing yourselves up as party members doing early campaign in 2013 rather than concerned Nigerians who would love to see a new and a changed Nigeria! Sad!

17 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by theripper2: 11:48am On Feb 02, 2013
"@Naijablogger: If Yakubu steals N23B &was ordered 2refund N750K,how much will Farouk Lawan refund 4 stealing N93M? A)N30K B)50K C)80k D)90k e)65k.

2 Likes

Re: Powerful Nigerians Have Hijack Criminal Justice – Falana by jidejoseph: 11:50am On Feb 02, 2013
But falane is a big lawyer he can chalenged the judgement and people like dino melaye and gbenga aruleba should bring the case on air with the inspector general of police efcc icpc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Plans 20-man Panel To Review Electoral Laws / The Filthy World Of Nigeria's Drug Lords / Onnoghen: Buhari Leading Nigeria Into Chaos —olawepo-hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.