Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating (19527 Views)

Egypt Vs Nigeria: Player Rating / Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Swaziland / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - CHAN Qualifier (4 - 1) On 6th July 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 7:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
This is coming late. I’m so excited. What can I say?

I have not seen Super Eagles in this form in the last 10 years (and I have never missed up to 3 televised Eagles matches in the last one decade). The last time I saw this kind of flair was against Ireland in a friendly in 2002 (or was it 2003), where a then youthful Eagles took on and defeated Ireland with Robbie Keane, Duff etc. That match was Martins’ debut and he combined well with the hot Utaka to make Ireland look like they had no business playing football. That not being competitive, I will say Okocha-inspired Eagles’ shocking defeat of Eto’o-ful Cameroun in 2004 was the last game SE did this well at competitive level.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 7:34pm On Feb 03, 2013
Now, business of the day:

MAN OF THE MATCH: Tough one between Moses and Mba, but I settle for Mba
FLOP OF THE MATCH: None

Enyeama: Great game. Fantastic saves. Confident. Collected. Did well wasting time. Highlight was stopping Yaya’s goal-bpond shot. 7

Echiejile: Keeps getting better with every match. Kept the CIV wingers at bay, and that was a very difficult one. Also made daring runs forward. 7

Oboabona: What can I say? Justified his choice in defence. Good point for home-based. He was fantastic. Stopped many runs by the CIV forwards. Also clearing on time. Appeared confident too. 7

Omeruo: Justified his benching Yobo. Although Drogba had good of him on a couple of occasions, he did well, for a player just coming up. Reminds one of Yobo vs Weah when the former was just an upcoming defender, in 2002 world cup qualifiers 7.5

Ambrose: He was fantastic. Did well in the right back.. Stopped Drogba, troubled Salomon Kalou earlier He only needs to be more consistent. 7

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Afam4eva(m): 7:34pm On Feb 03, 2013
I also think Omeruo did well caging Drogba the lion. One knows what happens when the lion is let out of it's cage. All thanks to Omeruo.

My award for man of the match goes to Mba. One can't just ignore such a spectacular winner goal. Emenike and Moses come second and third in no particular order.

Enyeama came to the party and had a couple of saves.

Mikel also did what he knew how to do best, which is holding the deep midfield position. He also saved what looked like a possible goal for CIV.

We played a very good game and i hope they continue in this spirit and the sky will be our limit.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 7:34pm On Feb 03, 2013
Onazi: Did well as a replacement for Ogude in defensive midfield. Pushed forward a couple of times too. Made some fantastic stops. But he exposed the centre-halfs a couple of times too. 6.5

Mikel: Didn’t push forward as he did in the last games. Laid a little back. That was helpful though. He also stamped authority in the midfield, to everyone’s surprise. One of his best games for SE, especially when we look at the caliber of the midfielders of the opposing side (Tiote, Yaya, Tiene). Above all, his save by clearing the ball off-Yaya’s feet proved critical. 7

Mba: What adjective can one deploy to describe this Enugu rangers man? Frankly, I never gave these home based any chance. But I’m wrong. This guy did fantastically well in the two games he started for Nigeria. I salute Keshi for his confidence in him. He supported Mikel well in the midfield, but most critically, his individual run and goal was not only daring, it was world class. And that was the match decider. 9

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 7:35pm On Feb 03, 2013
Moses: I have always held that this guy is our joker. Struggling with injury, he didn’t do too well in his first match vs Zambia, but he was explosive in his last two matches. He was outstanding today. Now, I know why Chelsea offloaded Kalou for this guy. He is a sensible version of Kalou. He cooled down the game, making it easy for Nigeria to maintain momentum. He wasn’t deployed in his usual wing, but middle. He did well, running back, even defending sometimes, pushing forward. So confident. His daring move early in the game and eventual shot saved by Barry raised Eagles’ confidence. I hope Musa will learn from this guy. 9

Emenike: I initially was mad at Keshi for deploying him to the flank but he did well, using speed and power to outpace the Ivorien left back. He is not selfish either. But above all, his ferocious shot that was our first goal was great. 8

Ideye: Did well in the strike role. Was a little quiet in the game, but even his silence was deadly, as his header almost earned Nigeria the lead before Mba’s strike. He could have done better with that nodding actually 6.5

Yobo: Unrated

Barry: Our 12th player. Covering his face for a shot, unlike the Ghanaian keeper that hit (though injured his hand) similar shot. 10/10 grin

Great game. Keshi also did a good choice with his first 11. His confidence in home-based players paid off. Not an A-list tactician, but you must give this to him.

Mali should be an easy ride for the Eagles, but again you remember this is Super Eagles - you can't bet on them. Whatever the outcome of their subsequent games, these Eagles will leave this tournament with their heads high.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Afam4eva(m): 7:48pm On Feb 03, 2013
Jarus: Moses
Yobo: Unrated
Guy, you wicked ooo
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by olawalebabs(m): 8:17pm On Feb 03, 2013
Jarus: This is coming late. I’m so excited. What can I say?

I have never seen Super Eagles in this form in the last 10 years (and I have never missed up to 3 televised Eagles matches in the last one decade). The last time I saw this kind of flair was against Ireland in a friendly in 2002 (or was it 2003), where a then youthful Eagles took on and defeated Ireland with Robbie Keane, Duff etc. That match was Martins’ debut and he combined well with the hot Utaka to make Ireland look like they had no business playing football. That not being competitive, I will say Okocha-inspired Eagles’ shocking defeat of Eto’o-ful Cameroun in 2004 was the last game SE did this well at competitive level.

Martins debuted for Nigeria in 2004 world cup qualifer against Rwanda. Bartholome Ogbeche was the man that partner with Utaka in that match

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by coogar: 8:19pm On Feb 03, 2013

Great game. Keshi also did a good choice with his first 11. His confidence in home-based players paid off. Not an A-list tactician, but you must give this to him.

i would give keshi 6/10. he did good but he can do better.
we were too monotonous - the routes to attack ivory coast were too few. we were only hitting hit/miss long balls and ivory coast dealt with those threats comfortably. seriously, what happened to our expansive wing play of yore?

keshi was part of the 94 team - he knew how deadly amuneke and finidi were on the flanks. we used to have elahor, tijani babangida, pius ikedia, etc. there has been no brilliant wing play from us this tournament! the wing backs don't overlap to create options for our wingers and on another day, we could have drawn n settled for a shoot-out!

i wouldn't quite agree keshi's tactics worked - ivory coast were just too poor by their high standards. the winner was just a brilliant piece of individual play, nothing to do with tactics or system. if mba had lost the ball with his mazy run, we could have conceded a goal easily cos he left a big gap at the back which was quite risky.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 8:23pm On Feb 03, 2013
olawalebabs: Martins debuted for Nigeria in 2004 world cup qualifer against Rwanda. Bartholome Ogbeche was the man that partner with Utaka in that match
No, martins played that match. I'm very sure. Yes, I know Ogbeche also played and did well.
I think it was 2004 though, after ANC of that year. Can't remember (and too excited to consult Google now), but I watched that match from Awo hall common room in school.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 8:27pm On Feb 03, 2013
coogar:

we were too monotonous - the routes to attack ivory coast were too few. we were only hitting hit/miss long balls and ivory coast dealt with those threats comfortably. seriously, what happened to our expansive wing play of yore?

keshi was part of the 94 team - he knew how deadly amuneke and finidi were on the flanks.
we used to have elahor, tijani babangida, pius ikedia, etc. there has been no brilliant wing play from us this tournament! the wing backs don't overlap to create options for our wingers and on another day, we could have drawn n settled for a shoot-out!

i wouldn't quite agree keshi's tactics worked - ivory coast were just too poor by their high standards. the winner was just a brilliant piece of individual play, nothing to do with tactics or system. if mba had lost the ball with his mazy run, we could have conceded a goal easily cos he left a big gap at the back which was quite risky.
You play wing play when you have players to prosecute it. Definitely not the Ahmed Musas. We have not had an effective winger since Finidi (later Babangida)/Amuneke days. We have tried forcing ourselves with fake flank play but it has not been working for us. Today, we used central midfield, and not flanks, and we got results. Even Moses, operated more from midfield than wings. It is not by force to use wing if you don't have players to execute it for you. Adapt to what you have and make a great use of it.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by coogar: 8:37pm On Feb 03, 2013
Jarus:
You play wing play when you have players to prosecute it. Definitely not the Ahmed Musas. We have not had an effective winger since Finidi (later Babangida)/Amuneke days. We have tried forcing ourselves with fake flank play but it has not been working for us. Today, we used central midfield, and not flanks, and we got results. Even Moses, operated more from midfield than wings. It is not by force to use wing if you don't have players to execute it for you. Adapt to what you have and make a great use of it.

exactly - there's a reason the wing play has not been working....
the full backs are either lazy or they have been instructed by keshi not to overlap. when moses gets the ball on the flank and he's being marked, a full back should be overlapping and creating a passing option. moses either passes to the full back to make the cross and if the marking defender chases after the overlapping fullback then moses would have the time to measure his cross to perfection!

you cannot tell me a nation of 160 million cannot produce wingers. moses is a good winger, plays for chelsea. he needed help several times today to cause an overload but the help wasn't just there. every good team uses overlapping fullbacks - that's modern football. ben iroha, ifeanyi udenze, celestine babayaro and even taiye taiwo are adept to being wingbacks - why is this current team not expansive enough to utilise all the attacking routes?

abegi, there are many ways to skin a cat - keshi can improve!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by ayusco: 8:42pm On Feb 03, 2013
@coogar wing play would b ideal if we had the right players but for now its only Moses we have whose head is screwed on straight. Shout out to MBA that run that led to goal pure guts n glory. The look of bewilderment on Thomas mlambo face priceless can't wait to c that of mamadou gaye
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by olawalebabs(m): 8:42pm On Feb 03, 2013
Jarus:
No, martins played that match. I'm very sure. Yes, I know Ogbeche also played and did well.
I think it was 2004 though, after ANC of that year. Can't remember (and too excited to consult Google now), but I watched that match from Awo hall common room in school.
the match was played in 2002 as part of the preparation for korea japan world cup with Onigbinde as coach. This may be of help. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=48509&cc=3888
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by GentleNaaz(m): 8:42pm On Feb 03, 2013
Mk una rate any tin una wan rate. My own man of d match na cote d' voir goal keeper. God wl bless dat guy. I wish Mali's keeper wl need God's blessn also.

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by 50calibre(m): 8:45pm On Feb 03, 2013
I'm once again so proud to be Nigerian, I hope this is the start of our redemption. Keshi needs to work on our defence and put some finishing touches to our tactics and we are good to go.

I honestly hope we can build an invincible team for brazil 2014 after we hopefully lift the nations cup

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by chochoman: 8:49pm On Feb 03, 2013
olawalebabs: Martins debuted for Nigeria in 2004 world cup qualifer against Rwanda. Bartholome Ogbeche was the man that partner with Utaka in that match
Martins actually partnered Ogbeche.There is something called google.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by executinal(m): 8:50pm On Feb 03, 2013
All the players did what Keshi told them to do.

Man of the match should go for MOSES / EMENIKE.

Emenike was a big threat to CIV defenders and this really make their midfield not to balance.

Moses on his own part was busy trying to put CIV under pressure always.

All the boys did their best

I am still clapping for them till now

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by vision2050: 8:51pm On Feb 03, 2013
Vicent 7
Efe 6.5
obo 7.5
echijile 5.0
keneth 7
mikel 7.5
mba 9
onazi 6.0
MOSES 9.5
emenike 8.5
Ideye 7.5
yobo -- match don finish
keshi 10/10
Nigeria fan 2/10 because many are haters, SE disappoint opolopo.....

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by topsco(m): 8:51pm On Feb 03, 2013
Jarus:
Na one Unity Cup,where we beat ireland...Jamaica

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by coogar: 8:52pm On Feb 03, 2013
ayusco: @coogar wing play would b ideal if we had the right players but for now its only Moses we have whose head is screwed on straight. Shout out to MBA that run that led to goal pure guts n glory. The look of bewilderment on Thomas mlambo face priceless can't wait to c that of mamadou gaye

the defence gets 10/10 from me - they were magnificent!
they dealt with everything ivory coast brought to the table. i never knew a defence without yobo or any big name can do such a good job against seasoned professionals like yaya toure, drogba, kalou and gervinho!

moses is the only good winger we have? musa is not bad - he's got the technique but his final ball is nothing to write home about. if he has time to look up to deliver a cross, i am sure he would do better. with ivory coast and south africa out of the competition, we have no excuse not to win it from here. only nigeria can beat nigeria from now on.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:53pm On Feb 03, 2013
Jarus, you've said it all. 100 gbosas for the home-based players in the team.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Tolexander: 8:53pm On Feb 03, 2013
coogar:
- he knew how deadly amuneke and finidi were on the flanks. we used to have elahor, tijani babangida, pius ikedia, etc.
ikedia in the list of the caliber of player mention?
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 03, 2013
It seems op doesn't knw when 2 use never.
Not & never r nt the same, ok?
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by omiobo: 8:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
Work dey tomorrow,i pray make i no oversleep,tonight sweet no be small.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Shittaakeem(m): 8:56pm On Feb 03, 2013
Op don't u know that omeru is not an home based player he plays for chelsea youth team or u can call it feeders team
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by danjalingo: 8:56pm On Feb 03, 2013
quote author=Jarus]Now, business of the day:
MAN OF THE MATCH: Tough one between Moses and Mba, but I settle for Mba
FLOP OF THE MATCH: None Enyeama: Great game. Fantastic saves. Confident. Collected. Did well wasting time. Highlight was stopping Yaya’s goal-bpond shot.
u 4got Mikel who made Yaya,Tiote luk ordinary?
Echiejile: Keeps getting better with every match. Kept the CIV wingers at bay, and that was a very difficult one. Also made daring runs forward. 7
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by koksybrown: 8:56pm On Feb 03, 2013
Im not a football fan. But i think i'l love to one
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by simdam500(m): 8:57pm On Feb 03, 2013
Am ratin it a 10 out of 10
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 03, 2013
How the heck did the abysmal/weakest-link left back get a 7 in that game?? grin

You guys probably watched a different game - the midfielders and centre-backs saved his miserable ar.se...

Heck, the guy caused the goal - he was just standing there breathing with his freaking mouth!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Ninilowo(m): 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2013

Yeah! with a scissors kick that deceived Onigbinde to take him to the world cup

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by nep2ra(m): 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2013
coogar:

keshi was part of the 94 team - he knew how deadly amuneke and finidi were on the flanks. we used to have elahor, tijani babangida, pius ikedia, etc. there has been no brilliant wing play from us this tournament! the wing backs don't overlap to create options for our wingers and on another day, we could have drawn n settled for a shoot-out!

This is exactly what I have been asking myself and other football pundits for a long time now. Over the years, the use of the wings to unleash a deadly attack or volley of accurate crosses have become redundant. Is it because the use of the wings is becoming less popular in recent times? Someone please educate me.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Skipfr(m): 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2013
@Op Omeruo is not home based. he is a chelsea player but loaned to Ado Den Haag in the Dutch Eredivisie

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014 / AFCON 2024 Quarter Final Teams and Pairings / Argentina Knows Nothing About Super Eagles - Coach Sabella

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.