Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating (19524 Views)

Egypt Vs Nigeria: Player Rating / Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Swaziland / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - CHAN Qualifier (4 - 1) On 6th July 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by elampiro(m): 10:52pm On Feb 03, 2013
coogar:

i would give keshi 6/10. he did good but he can do better.
we were too monotonous - the routes to attack ivory coast were too few. we were only hitting hit/miss long balls and ivory coast dealt with those threats comfortably. seriously, what happened to our expansive wing play of yore?

keshi was part of the 94 team - he knew how deadly amuneke and finidi were on the flanks. we used to have elahor, tijani babangida, pius ikedia, etc. there has been no brilliant wing play from us this tournament! the wing backs don't overlap to create options for our wingers and on another day, we could have drawn n settled for a shoot-out!

i wouldn't quite agree keshi's tactics worked - ivory coast were just too poor by their high standards. the winner was just a brilliant piece of individual play, nothing to do with tactics or system. if mba had lost the ball with his mazy run, we could have conceded a goal easily cos he left a big gap at the back which was quite risky.

Why must we complain even when we are blessed or have succeeded? It took Westerhof 4 years to get Amuneke and Finidi to play the kind of football they played between 1993 and 1994. Westerhof came to Nigeria in 1989 and met the Eagles led by Henry Nwosu. We had Etim Esin and co. Westerhof could not get a much needed draw against Cameroun at away to top the group in the world cup qualifying match at away. Nigeria went out. Then the next year, he took his Eagles to Algiers '90 nation's cup, he finished second even though he had lost his first match 1-5 to Algeria. Between 1990 and 1993, he brought Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, Finidi George, Amuneke, Mutiu Adepoju, Dan Amokachie, and some others. By 1993, the likes of Etim Esin, Andrew Uwe, Yisa Sofoluwe, Richard Owubokiri, etc, were no longer needed. Before nation cup '94 Sunday Oliseh was discovered, also is Mike Emenalo. Nigeria won the nations cup, then Chidi Nwanu was included in the defence for the world cup. Also just few days to the world cup, Nduka Ugbade was considered not good enough to make the 23 man team, I think Victor Ikpeba was included in the last minute.

We should give praise to Keshi, he is building very well. He hasn't even lost a match, home away or neutral ground. I dont know when last Nigeria played qualifying series and not lost at away. I rate Keshi 9.5/10

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by elampiro(m): 11:01pm On Feb 03, 2013
VellyG: its funny how all those pessimist have suddenly disappeared. Now i can see alot of them here making good comment about the team. How unpatriotic can Nigerians be.

Nigerians are very unpatriotic and it irritates. Imagine fans whose EPL teams are struggling or haven't been doing well calling Eagles chickens. Two days ago, Keshi said he was very confident he would win and that he was ashamed the way Nigerians were talking badly (unpatriotic) of the team. Now he delivered and beaten one of the best teams in the world, yet people are trying to coach him that he is not doing well, that he is not playing wing football, etc. I don't get it. As far as I am concerned about this tournament, Eagles have already surpassed expectations. After the tournament, the team will be strengthened with time. Some players will fit out while new one will come and fit in. That was how Westerhof built for 5 years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by AndreUweh(m): 11:25pm On Feb 03, 2013
elampiro:

Why must we complain even when we are blessed or have succeeded? It took Westerhof 4 years to get Amuneke and Finidi to play the kind of football they played between 1993 and 1994. Westerhof came to Nigeria in 1989 and met the Eagles led by Henry Nwosu. We had Etim Esin and co. Westerhof could not win against Cameroun at away to top the group in the world cup qualifying match at away. Nigeria went out. Then the next year, he took his Eagles to Algiers '90 nation's cup, he finished second even though he had lost his first match 1-5 to Algeria. Between 1990 and 1993, he brought Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, Finidi George, Amuneke, Mutiu Adepoju, Dan Amokachie, and some others. By 1993, the likes of Etim Esin, Andrew Uwe, Yisa Sofoluwe, Richard Owubokiri, etc, were no longer needed. Before nation cup '94 Sunday Oliseh was discovered, also is Mike Emenalo. Nigeria won the nations cup, then Chidi Nwanu was included in the defence for the world cup. Also just few days to the world cup, Nduka Ugbade was considered not good enough to make the 23 man team, I think Victor Ikpeba was included in the last minute.

We should give praise to Keshi, he is building very well. He hasn't even lost a match, home away or neutral ground. I dont know when last Nigeria played qualifying series and not lost at away. I rate Keshi 9.5/10
Mike Emenalo before then had featured for the Green Eagles team led by Onigbinde in 1984 nations cup in Ivory Coast. Emenalo and his eagles team mate from Rangers-Chibuzo Ehilegbu left Nigeria to go and study in the U.S.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by aribisala0(m): 11:25pm On Feb 03, 2013
Good game but let us not get carried away with euphoria.The coaching needs to improve.
In particular our attackers need to realise they need to help the defence and midfield in modern football.
There were a few nervous moments following pressure from the wings.
The other concern is defenders putting the keepeer under pressure with back passes.
They need to show more composure in bringing the ball out from defence.
It was a close game and they did well to beat a very strong side but Keshi needs to note areas for improvement.
This only helps us to appreciate the 1994 winning squad more those guys were GREAT all round
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Panter215: 11:32pm On Feb 03, 2013
Keshi's game plan, turn out well. I give the game to the bench and pray they quickly get out of the celebration mood and develop a plan for Mali. Any team in a semifinals of a nations cup is no push over. We need to win our next two matches.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by elampiro(m): 11:36pm On Feb 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Mike Emenalo before then had featured for the Green Eagles team led by Onigbinde in 1984 nations cup in Ivory Coast. Emenalo and his eagles team mate from Rangers-Chibuzo Ehilegbu left Nigeria to go and study in the U.S.

OK, I am sure you get my point. People are too impatient and are quickly to refer to 1994 Eagles. It was built over time. Lest I forget, Westerhof needed just a draw in Cameroun to win the group at the time. We lost and Nigeria kept faith. By 1994, we had only Yekini, Keshi, Okafor and Oliha surviving from the old Eagles.

Oliha and Keshi mostly played from the bench and were introduced to soak pressure when Nigeria needed to protect a lead. Uche Okafor had to be relegated to the bench when Chidi Nwanu arrived. So, I will say it was only Yekini who kept his position throughout. Keshi went to world cup with injury, so he had only a few games. Peter Rufai also returned after a long absence.

When a coach has stayed long in a team, he is able to utilise his players better because he would have known their capabilities and shortcomings. He also know players that should be waved good bye from the team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by elampiro(m): 11:36pm On Feb 03, 2013
Panter215: Keshi's game plan, turn out well. I give the game to the bench and pray they quickly get out of the celebration mood and develop a plan for Mali. Any team in a semifinals of a nations cup is no push over. We need to win our next two matches.

Correct.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by elampiro(m): 11:39pm On Feb 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:

Just saw your profile name, are you the Andrew Uweh that played for Green Eagles?
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by AndreUweh(m): 11:41pm On Feb 03, 2013
elampiro:

OK, I am sure you get my point. People are too impatient and are quickly to refer to 1994 Eagles. It was built over time. Lest I forget, Westerhof needed just a draw in Cameroun to win the group at the time. We lost and Nigeria kept faith. By 1994, we had only Yekini, Keshi, Okafor and Oliha surviving from the old Eagles.

Oliha and Keshi mostly played from the bench and were introduced to soak pressure when Nigeria is needed to protect a lead. Uche Okafor had to be relegated to the bench when Chidi Nwanu arrived. So, I will say it was only Yekini who kept his position throughout out. Keshi went to world cup with injury, so he had only a few games. Peter Rufai also returned after a long absence.

When a coach has stayed long in a team, he is able to utilise his players better because he would have known their capabilities and shortcomings. He also know players that should be waved good bye from the team.
I AGREE WITH YOU. KESHI SHOULD BE ASKED TO STAY ON
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by AndreUweh(m): 11:43pm On Feb 03, 2013
elampiro:

Just saw your profile name, are you the Andrew Uweh that played for Green Eagles?
Noops, we both share the same first name. My own Uwe is actually DIKAUWE.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Gbenge77(m): 11:46pm On Feb 03, 2013
At the Eagles dressing room,Drogba asks Mikel "TO WIN THE CUP FOR THEM"

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by elampiro(m): 11:46pm On Feb 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Noops, we both share the same first name. My own Uwe is actually DIKAUWE.

ok. Thanks. Have a nice night rest.

Good night.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by dabossman(m): 11:55pm On Feb 03, 2013
In today's football, no team sticks to just one formation come rain or shine. You choose formations according to your capabilities, the tactics of the opposition or change things around when your formation is thwarted. Man Utd also like the wing play but sometimes your wingers get frozen out. Remember, how the Italians clipped our wings at USA 94?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by rockiedink(m): 12:38am On Feb 04, 2013
Jarus:
No, martins played that match. I'm very sure. Yes, I know Ogbeche also played and did well.
I think it was 2004 though, after ANC of that year. Can't remember (and too excited to consult Google now), but I watched that match from Awo hall common room in school.

Bros...ŋa̶̲̅ UI Ɣøû go?
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Nobody: 1:01am On Feb 04, 2013
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by engrjoe(m): 1:55am On Feb 04, 2013
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/eagles-sweep-awards/

Super Eagles midfeilder, Sunday Mba yesterday won the Man of the Match award in the AFCON quarterfinal match against Cote D’Ivoire at the Royal Bafikeng Stadium in Rustenburg.
Mba, an home-based player with Warri Wolves of Delta State, scored the second goal as they Eagles ran out with a surpirse 2-1 win over the highly rated Ivorians, featuring the likes of Didier Drogba, Yaya Toure and Cheik Tiote.

Adding his name to the list of award winners was central defender, Kenneth Omeruo, whose partnership with Godfrey Oboabona of Sunshine Stars, held the Ivorians at bay, won for  him the fair play gong.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by KINGwax(m): 6:40am On Feb 04, 2013
Is anybody forgettin the referee?
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by vision2050: 6:59am On Feb 04, 2013
JideTheBlogger: Jarus, you've said it all. 100 gbosas for the home-based players in the team.
how many home base dey inside? Are you a learner? Obo, mba, onazi odas na foreign
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by wittytezzy(m): 7:16am On Feb 04, 2013
NAIJA 4 LIFE! . . .How are the mighy fallen! . . .kudos 2 d SE 4 their gallant performance i've always believe things can always get better,let the boys keep it up 4 nothing is won yet IT IS NOT OVER UNTILL IT IS FINALLY OVER
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by honeric01(m): 8:25am On Feb 04, 2013
@shymexx

Why are you so obsessed with hating Echiejile?

He's rubbish, he's this,he's that, but he did his DAMN job which was to defend. the goal yesterday was not caused by him and he also went forward a couple of times.

had some shots too. if you're better or have someone better than him, kindly recommend him/yourself to the coach AFTER the tournament and stop hating!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by godman01(m): 9:15am On Feb 04, 2013
They all tried while disappointing most of nigerians themselves.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Jarus(m): 9:54am On Feb 04, 2013
rockiedink:

Bros...ŋa̶̲̅ UI Ɣøû go?
Great Ife
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by woky: 11:03am On Feb 04, 2013
una dy current o
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by jasmine21(f): 1:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
elampiro:

Why must we complain even when we are blessed or have succeeded? It took Westerhof 4 years to get Amuneke and Finidi to play the kind of football they played between 1993 and 1994. Westerhof came to Nigeria in 1989 and met the Eagles led by Henry Nwosu. We had Etim Esin and co. Westerhof could not get a much needed draw against Cameroun at away to top the group in the world cup qualifying match at away. Nigeria went out. Then the next year, he took his Eagles to Algiers '90 nation's cup, he finished second even though he had lost his first match 1-5 to Algeria. Between 1990 and 1993, he brought Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, Finidi George, Amuneke, Mutiu Adepoju, Dan Amokachie, and some others. By 1993, the likes of Etim Esin, Andrew Uwe, Yisa Sofoluwe, Richard Owubokiri, etc, were no longer needed. Before nation cup '94 Sunday Oliseh was discovered, also is Mike Emenalo. Nigeria won the nations cup, then Chidi Nwanu was included in the defence for the world cup. Also just few days to the world cup, Nduka Ugbade was considered not good enough to make the 23 man team, I think Victor Ikpeba was included in the last minute.

May God bless u 4 this. Keshi is really tryin and we need to give him more time to build this team properly. I've never been a fan of sacking coaches under one year.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 04, 2013
Ninilowo:
Yeah! with a scissors kick that deceived Onigbinde to take him to the world cup

Lol. Oh boy that scissors kick deceived a whole lot of people! grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by olusogo: 4:30pm On Feb 04, 2013
elampiro:

I beg to be corrected. Green Eagles(Super Eagles) were doing well when Westerhof joined Nigeria. He was just a Stubborn Coach who wanted to instill discipline into the team. No team could dear Nigeria in Africa not even Cameroon which they had beaten 2-0 in world cup 1990 first leg qualifier at Adamasingba Stadium, Ibadan. Before he joined Nigeria in 1989,we had almost qualified for the world cup needing just a draw in the last two away matches against Gabon and Cameroon. Nigeria could conveniently beat Gabon on their soil and with Cameroon it could go either way if he had paraded the real team which he dropped. In fact,he hated the likes of Peter Rufai,Chidi Nwanu, Humphrey Edobor,etc(he sent their mates to early retirement) with passion preferring the inexperience players. He had gambled with Eagles for 4 years only for him to call back Rufai, Chidi Nwanu and Agbonivbare and Eguaven when it was obvious that he might fail to deliver when mattered most especially against big teams. Nigeria would have won AFCON and be in the world cup before 1994.

Lesson to Learn: Let Keshi know that the inclusion of Osaze, Anichebe, Obafemi amongst other senior players should not be over ruled if they are still inform.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by wale47: 10:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
Dnt bet on eagles cos there's no difference btw dem n arsenal.Let's jst pray 4 dem cos it's bn a while we won d trophy.
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Nellybii: 8:09am On Feb 05, 2013
coogar:

i would give keshi 6/10. he did good but he can do better.
we were too monotonous - the routes to attack ivory coast were too few. we were only hitting hit/miss long balls and ivory coast dealt with those threats comfortably. seriously, what happened to our expansive wing play of yore?

keshi was part of the 94 team - he knew how deadly amuneke and finidi were on the flanks. we used to have elahor, tijani babangida, pius ikedia, etc. there has been no brilliant wing play from us this tournament! the wing backs don't overlap to create options for our wingers and on another day, we could have drawn n settled for a shoot-out!

i wouldn't quite agree keshi's tactics worked - ivory coast were just too poor by their high standards. the winner was just a brilliant piece of individual play, nothing to do with tactics or system. if mba had lost the ball with his mazy run, we could have conceded a goal easily cos he left a big gap at the back which was quite risky.

You can never satisfy man. You will score Keshi 6/10, we were monotonous etc. So Nigeria won the match because Cotedivorie were just too poor by their high standards. Haa !! Human Being. I fear you oo. So Mba left a space at the back to score a risky goal. My man I score your analysis 1/160000000 because that is the percentage of Nigerians that watched your own version of the match. Olodo Rabata!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast - Player Rating by Nellybii: 8:19am On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0: Good game but let us not get carried away with euphoria.The coaching needs to improve.
In particular our attackers need to realise they need to help the defence and midfield in modern football.
There were a few nervous moments following pressure from the wings.
The other concern is defenders putting the keepeer under pressure with back passes.
They need to show more composure in bringing the ball out from defence.
It was a close game and they did well to beat a very strong side but Keshi needs to note areas for improvement.
This only helps us to appreciate the 1994 winning squad more those guys were GREAT all round

I don't know how old you were in 1994. I clearly remember that we beat Cotedivorie via penalties in the semifinals of tunisia 94 and we conceded to Zambia in the first five minutes of the final game only to come back to win 2-1. See brother, there is no perfect team or perfect game. You will score goals and you will concede goals. That is football. Let us stop this pessimism and support and pray for the team to succeed. Even if we don't win the cup, the boys will be given a heroes welcome back home.sebi we dey there till end of tournament. The worst we can get is 4th place abi?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man United's Champions League Hopes Are Over After Arsenal Defeat - Rangnick / Osaze Apology: Why I Blasted Keshi, Nff, Osaze Reveals; Apologises For Outburst / 2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.