Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs - Islam for Muslims (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs (31098 Views)

Desert Arabs Competing In Building Skyscrapers - Biggest Clock Tower In Mecca / Arabs Will Be Guided Forever And Ever Unlike Israel / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
obo_man: Haven't you lost your identity in the first place by practising a religion that isn't yours, and originated from the Arabs?

Let's all return to the religion of our ancestors and modernise it.......

Our ancestors and the ancestors of the Arabs that wrote the Koran are both humans..........

the only difference is that our religions dont have man-founders whereas the quraan is man-written.

yes we are working on it. soon by the grace of the Gods, Nigeria will once again be a Pagan Nation.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
aribisala0: http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/islamic_names_%28P1152%29.html

check this out
The article is not deep
It fails to mention what the Prophet (PBUH) did and declared about naming people
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
BetaThings:
It does matter very much that a "muslim" is called a hypocrite and he keeps quiet. It speaks a lot
Who is a convinced muslim? Who is a default muslim? Who makes you the judge of that

Read my thread on nairaland then draw your conclusion
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
la furia: dont even know how to respond to the op question because it is weird. losing identity to the arabs because am bearing ibrahim? seriously. how does bearing ibrahim change my appearance to arab. no one has ever asked me if i was arab but are you a muslim question. op displays same ignorance as the americans who belief arab means muslim.

am hausa, and the only way to prove it is to speak hausa, simple, no need for long explanation. have you ever meet a real arab man speak yoruba? so y should people doubt whether u are yoruba or not when u can speak d yoruba lang. so when u speak yoruba, they still believe u are arab because of ypur first name? wonders shall never end.

u should ask y are the yoruba losing dia cultures to islam instead. do u have a problem with arabic or arabs? which one.

change your name my brother. change it.

keep Hausa name.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 7:18pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:
Not all Arab is muslim and not all muslim is arab!!!

If ISLAM emanate from Igboland and Prophet(saw) is an Igboman and God communicated with Him(saw) in Igbo........thus Giving HIS(God) names in Igbo which is scripturally documented and also enjoined All adherents to bear such BEAUTIFUL names..... !!!

Then, why shd I not have CHUKWU-EBUKA has my Religion name!!! Which thus doesn't mean am paying Homage to Igboland but my God!!!
It's not like the prophet had the luxury of using different languages. He probably only understood Arabic but that does not mean that Arabic is exclusive to Islam or vice-versa.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
In yoruba history i read ''oduduwa'' or ''oodua'' a crown king in yoruba land came from Mecca(arab)

The Op should tell me what name was oduduwa using in mecca or was/is oduduwa an arab name?. . . .the name oduduwa is it arabic?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by dapsonlou(m): 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
are u sure you didn't change your arabic name cause its one of those razz arabic names... My arabic name is alhamin and i love it, but i do go by my yoruba name doe
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2013
Suleiman,Noah,Ibrahim,Isaac,Yaqub,Ibrahim
Daud,Ishmael,Yisa,Yusuf,Zachariah,Musa,Adamu, were all used long before Prophet Mohammed as were many other Arab names the truth is there is no such thing as a muslim name
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by dapsonlou(m): 7:22pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: In yoruba history i read ''oduduwa'' or ''oodua'' a crown king in yoruba land came from Mecca(arab)

The Op should tell me what name was oduduwa using in mecca or was/is oduduwa an arab name?. . . .the name oduduwa is it arabic?

oduduwa real name is ishmael oduari yes that is a fact and it an arabic name
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad: ofcourse, ur deeds will definitely count on d day of judgement, we all knw dt. But that to me is not an excuse as to why u choose not to bear a quranic name or a name dt affiliates you with islam, jus because is arabic. Ds same bla bla bla..God only looks at the heart of men dt pple always use as a defensive block. U wil see ladies dressed half naked in the street nd they ll say 'God only looks at the heart of men'. Who re u deceiving? As a nigerian and a muslim, u just cant separate arabic language from islam, unless u abadon d deen nd stick to ur cultural values cos islam radiates from d heart to ur outward character and IDENTITY

You said this

And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

You are the one misleading people

You said this

And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
hadbak: lier!!!

shut up. they do worship in Persian. THe Zoroastrians. i know them.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Olushyna: 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2013
I just imagine how some people reason. Go to ur alfa and ask wat the holy prophet say about dis ur post. You are just ordinary muslim. U av no knowledge about ur religion.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2013
cheikh: tpia@

@^^ Hausas except a few of them in Southern Zaria were totally conquered/ converted to Islam and most of them are not mixed with Arabs but Fulani. Even Sudan is not very mixed up racially but religiously they are 97% Islam.

I am full-blooded MAguzawa Hausa. most Hausas are not mixed.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by usisky(m): 7:27pm On Feb 05, 2013

Peace To Everybody.

@Justaqad.

I don't think i have the energy to contribute exhaustively on this issue. But i can i assure you that you are spot on.
Here is a link to our website shedding greater light on the matter- HERE. You may take the information there and share it here if you choose.

I will only say a few words and hopefully a food for thought.

Mr. Justaqad, you have not only LOST your identity to the ARABS, but you have lost the religion all together to the Arabs. What you see around you as ISLAM today is simply the "ARAB RELIGION". The religion(or more accurately a system of conduct) envisioned in the Qur'an negates that which you know as "ISLAM" today. Don't take my word for it; the content of posts made my "muslims" on Nairaland ISlam section is evidence enough.

Here is a food for thought. The so-called "Islamic names" Umar, Muhammad, Fatimah, Aisha, Jamal etc all existed prior to Muhammad's Prophet-hood and were names used by both Pagan arabs, Christian arabs etc. How then can one claim these names are "Muslim names"?

The truth is, these names have nothing to do with the religion envisioned in the Qur'an. God does not care what you call yourself. He deliberately created us of different cultures, tribes and ethnicity for us to appreciate the wisdom in creation. I seriously doubt that the same God will urge us to adopt someone Else's culture. No one culture is superior to another.

The Only Criterion For Distinguishing Among The People

[49:13] O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another. The best among you in the sight of GOD is the most righteous. GOD is Omniscient, Cognizant.

NB: there is no harm in embracing other people's culture which we admire. The harm is when we attribute it to GOD or religion.

PEACE!!

3 Likes

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy: Most names that religion people bear really have to do with what religion they practice......!!!

In yorubaland ,even My GreatGrand mother bears...Esubiyi..... Later had muslim name when she got converted !!!

Till today we have..Ifalokun,Ifabiyi,Osunfunke,Osuntoke,Oguniyi.......Ogunshola.....Ogunseyi......Ogunlola..... and many others.......!!!!

All these seek to differenciate Osun worshippers from Ogun worshippers.........Sango worshippers from Ifa worshippers thus Esu worshippers.........this is Homogeneous Society ooo......Yorubaland!!

Christians also have baptism name e.g Timothy,Isreal,Moses,Jacob,Micheal,Esther,abigeal.....does it mean these peeps are now jew!!

With all the above,How has Islamic/Arabic name being subjective unless u re giving it a subjective definition!!!!

Religion peeps associate with there Religion names!!! Islam is not different......therefore this TOPIC is Trashed!!!

Case Closed!!!!!

YORUBA RELIGION AND CULTURE IS INSEPARABLE! TO GET OUT OF IT, THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO COMMIT SUICIDE! angry angry angry angry

P.S. shame on your grandmother. what a beautiful name Esubiyi is. represents the perfect balance of forces. Tufia!

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by aribisala0(m): 7:30pm On Feb 05, 2013
BetaThings:
The article is not deep
It fails to mention what the Prophet did and declared about naming people
Because he did not declare any such thing in the Quran.
what did the prophet declare about using the internet? Nothing so you won't find that written anywhere either? You must remember that his followers(when he was alive) were Arab mostly if not entirely. Now we are in an era where Islam is spreading around the world. Should the whole world adopt Arabic names. I guess that is the debate here.Many muslims do it for normative (pressure) reasons but do not really ask questions whether it is necessary.Definitely a muslim should not bear a name that identifies him with other gods or contradicts Islamic teachings but the problem with Islam certainly in Yorubaland and probably Northern Nigeria is muslims cannot or do not read the Quran directly themselves but follow what they have been told. I have read the Quran at least a hundred times so I would know if there is any such teaching in the Quran.( I am not a muslim by the way)
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by seunajia: 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
His assertion is in order. Can you tell us what names the Arab Christians bear? Let me paint a scenario for you...

Imagine an American becomes an "obatala" worshiper and adopts the name "Adewale". Does that make the name exclusive to Obatala worshipers? Don't Christians and Muslims bear this name?

Lol

It does not make it an exclusive Obatala name, neither does it make him Yoruba nor has it made him lose his American identity.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by lafuria1(m): 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
so this thread reach 9 page. op, do what ever you feel like, no one is forcing to do otherwise so long as the meaning of the name is nice, no problem. if you are concerned about ur tribal identity, do something about it.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Jarus(m): 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Do you that there are Arab Christians with the name "Abubakar"? Are they Muslims too?

The guy says the first thing that comes to someone's mind if he hears 'Abubakar' is Arab, and I said it's wrong, it's 'Muslim'?

In all honestly, tell me what comes to your own mind if you hear Abubakar? Arab? Muslim? Christian?
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
donroxy:

ahahaha....u re funny....!!! Ifa peeps attached Ifa as prefix to their names!!! Some no longer do it but yet,the Ifa prefix is still there till today while some has totally left it out!!

U re just draging dis too far...... All I am saying to U is.....Ifa which is a deity in Yorubaland,the Origin of Ifa is in Yorubaland,an Ifa Worshipper attached ''Ifa'' as prefix to their name and someone who is also a Yorubaman but not Ifa worshipper doesn't have anything to do with Ifa- as prefix or suffix to his name!!!

Likewise, why should a muslim not Identify Himself/herself with Islamic name/religion name simply cuz Arab element is in it!!!

There is no way u will embrace sth from foreign land and such won't affect ur indigeneous being(culture)......it is either u deal with it or opt-out!!!

ALLAH IS A DEITY!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by justaqad(m): 7:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
Olushyna: I just imagine how some people reason. Go to ur alfa and ask wat the holy prophet say about dis ur post. You are just ordinary muslim. U av no knowledge about ur religion.

Typical example of a default muslim... Always going to the alfa,why you use your brain in sending sms and pings.
Epic fall

1 Like

Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: In yoruba history i read ''oduduwa'' or ''oodua'' a crown king in yoruba land came from Mecca(arab)

its LIES! ODUDUA DIDNT FLY FROM ARABIA! angry
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Afam4eva(m): 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
Jarus:
The guy says the first thing that comes to someone's mind if he hears 'Abubakar' is Arab, and I said it's wrong, it's 'Muslim'?

In all honestly, tell me what comes to your own mind if you hear Abubakar? Arab? Muslim? Christian?
When i hear "Abubakar", the first thing that comes to mind is Islam and it's because it's a name that muslims bear aa lot but that doesn't mean it's exclusive to Muslims and that does not make it a Muslim name. It's not different from someone bearing Jacob but not a Christian.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 7:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
dapsonlou:

oduduwa real name is ishmael oduari yes that is a fact and it an arabic name
if oduduwa is an arabic name. . . .why is the op complaining of Nigerians bearing arabic names
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:40pm On Feb 05, 2013
tintingz: if oduduwa is an arabic name. . . .why is the op complaining of Nigerians bearing arabic names

are you stup.id ? i know the arabic language and i speak ,write and read it fluently. there is no such word as ODudua.
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 7:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
ofcourse, ur deeds will definitely count on d day of judgement, we all knw dt. But that to me is not an excuse as to why u choose not to bear a quranic name or a name dt affiliates you with islam, jus because is arabic. Ds same bla bla bla..God only looks at the heart of men dt pple always use as a defensive block. U wil see ladies ressed half naked in the street nd they ll say 'God only looks at the heart of men'. Who re u deceiving? As a nigerian and a muslim, u just cant separate arabic language from islam, unless u abadon d deen nd stick to ur cultural values cos islam radiates from d heart to ur outward character and IDENTITY. I wouldnt named my child Aishah just because it is arabic like i said earlier, Aishah is d name of the noble wife of d prpht(saw). She was a muslim,a pious one, a role model for the believing women.

You said this

And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature[/quote]
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by ayinba1(f): 7:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ALLAH IS A DEITY!
beside Whom there is none worthy of worship.

Dude, stop yelling!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by khairate(f): 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
ofcourse, ur deeds will definitely count on d day of judgement, we all knw dt. But that to me is not an excuse as to why u choose not to bear a quranic name or a name dt affiliates you with islam, jus because is arabic. Ds same bla bla bla..God only looks at the heart of men dt pple always use as a defensive block. U wil see ladies ressed half naked in the street nd they ll say 'God only looks at the heart of men'. Who re u deceiving? As a nigerian and a muslim, u just cant separate arabic language from islam, unless u abadon d deen nd stick to ur cultural values cos islam radiates from d heart to ur outward character and IDENTITY. I wouldnt named my child Aishah just because it is arabic like i said earlier, Aishah is d name of the noble wife of d prpht(saw). She was a muslim,a pious one, a role model for the believing women.

You said this

And you think its your name that would distinguish you on the day of reckoning? Allah looks at the heart of men... Your deeds and actions would identify you as a muslim,not arabic nomenclature[/quote]
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by BetaThings: 7:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

Read my thread on nairaland then draw your conclusion
I see. A wild goose chase
And no response on being a hypocrite
Peculiar!
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by tintingz(m): 7:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

its LIES! ODUDUA DIDNT FLY FROM ARABIA! angry
you this hausa man. . . .it was written that oduduwa fled from mecca to yoruba land and became king...

Yoruba
tradition holds
that Oduduwa
fled from
Mecca to Ile-
Ife, bringing
with him the
Ifa religion
which was
under
persecution in
Mecca. He
established it
firmly in Ile-Ife
and founded
the Ogboni
cult to protect
the ancient
customs and
institutions of
his people. The
Oduduwa
shrine is still
worshipped
today in Ile-Ife
as the cradle
of Yoruba
culture.

http://cultural-expressions.com/ifa/orisha/oduduwa.htm
Re: We Are Losing Our Identity To The Arabs by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 05, 2013
justaqad:

The only culture I can let go is one that's contrary to islamic teachings. But saying I should let go of my heritage to embrace arabic heritage is crazy..
You have lost it

Am a Muslim too and am not leaving my culture for the Arabs!!!

Mohammed whom u claimed u believed is an Arab and His Religious Tradition also define his Environment therefore there is no way no how that u won't sacrifice little of ur custom for ur ''Prophet'' if u soc belief!!!

@Aribisala
Arabic Indigenous name is different from Muslim/Islamic Names!!!
Same way An Ifa-Worshipper name is different non-Ifa adherent despite both being a Yoruba!!!

Islamic Names Originates from Arab and written in Arab but Arab also have their names before Islam!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Do You Know Who Killed Abu Jahl ? ¿ It Was Children ! Click To Read More / How An American Lady Converted To Islam / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.