Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year (9750 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by muscar: 11:44pm On Feb 04, 2013
Look deeper in2 wat all4naija said...as hard as it is,he has a point. Her title can only make complete sense to the igbo clan but what about other parts of the world? No. The title is cheapening I must confess. If I were the average american knowing fully well my country is a senior in advancement,the first thought that wud pop in2 ma head is 'lousy africans tryna make us wanna read their books' I love chimamanda dearly but this title is 'TURN OFF'. To be truthful,wen I first saw the title b4 opening this thread,I instantly got a mixed feeling (half-digusted half-it's ma baby adichie again) on the title b4 all49ja pointed it out.

2 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Nobody: 2:03am On Feb 05, 2013
I hope it won't be another copy and paste book on a weak foundation of stories told by elders.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by cfours: 5:50am On Feb 05, 2013
shakomende:
From the award-winning author of ‘Half of a Yellow Sun,’ a powerful story of love, race and identity.

As teenagers in Lagos, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. Their Nigeria is under military dictatorship, and people are fleeing the country if they can....

yawn
why are all her books about nigeria under millitary dictatorship? doesn't she realize that she's portraying a single story about nigeria?
she needs to come up with something new jor

2 Likes

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Ikengawo: 7:12am On Feb 05, 2013
^hate.
muscar: Look deeper in2 wat all4naija said...as hard as it is,he has a point. Her title can only make complete sense to the i gbo clan but what about other parts of the world? No. The title is cheapening I must confess. If I were the average a[/b]merican knowing fully well my country is a senior in advancemen[b]t,t[/b]he first thought that [b]wud pop in2 ma head is 'lousy africans tryna make us wanna read their books' I love[b] c[/b]himamanda dearly but this title is 'TURN OFF'. To be truthfu[b]l,wen[/b] I first saw the title b4 opening this threa[b]d,I[/b] instantly got a mixed feeling (half-digusted [/b]half-it's ma baby adichie again) on the title [b]b4 all49ja pointed it out.

The hatred will hold you back in life. Look at what you've wrote for others to read and you have space to criticize the writing of another, especially someone that has made an impact on the world. You haven't even made an impact on this forum jare.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by muscar: 8:11am On Feb 05, 2013
Ikengawo:

The hatred will hold you back in life. Look at what you've wrote for others to read and you have space to criticize the writing of another, especially someone that has made an impact on the world. You haven't even made an impact on this forum jare.

Mister ik, haba? Did you grab ma context at all? I dnt want to believe your memory is hard of understanding. Please next time, Read my post then look up your dictionary b4 ‎​‎​U comment like an insecure illiterate.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by express101: 1:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
all4naija: No! It doesn't mean I have to read the novel somehow before finding interest. Good and great titles add a lot to the writer's work and can coerce people to buy them. It is like the advert of a product. Jeez! I don't find that title interesting and encouraging from somebody of her standard.
Your opinion doesn't count, sweetie
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by express101: 2:00pm On Feb 05, 2013
all4naija: Huh. There is nothing wrong but it just make your work looks something from a novice. Iraqana sounds like a child learning to pronounce or speak. I would rather find interest in a title with persuasive intent challenging a buyer curiosity before even reading it. Indeed, I can see where she is coming from. She is trying so hard to be accepted by the American audiences and society. Lol... AMERICANAH! Even Americans would find that embarrassing.

Is that a German or a Spanish word?
It is neither a German nor Spanish word; it is a colloquial way Nigerians address our people living in America. Watch! This book might make that reference more mainstream
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by express101: 2:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
solomon111: I think i agree with all4naija.
What the hell is americanah?
It makes the book look cheap.
If i didn't know who chimamanda was,i wouln't buy that book in a million years.
The title of the book can put serious readers off.
Her publishers wouldn't let her use this title if they felt it wouldn't sell. She has successfully established herself as a brand, so this is bound to be a hit like her previous works
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by slap1(m): 3:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
I agree, 'Americanah' sounds kinda dull and unserious, but she is already established as a writer, so I believe the book will sell.

1 Like

Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by abouzaid: 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2013
Americanah is a popular word in the east, i remember that nigga raw used that word in one of his igbo music tracks.
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by gomeek(f): 10:23pm On Feb 07, 2013
Akshow: I hope Its not a boring book like purple hibiscus.
are u for real?
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by Jakemond(m): 9:24pm On Apr 04, 2013
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by 1k001(m): 12:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
Just saw 'Americanah' on the bookshelf in my local book store somewhere in the pacific. Better still it was the recommended read of the month!
Re: 'Americanah' By Chimamanda Adichie To Launch This Year by minute(f): 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2013
This topic of hair has got my interest.Three books to read in May.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Daddy’s Little Office Slut (A Short Romantic Story) / The Testimony Of a Freed Man :two Kingdoms One Soul (complete story) / Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.