Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

The Problem With The Black Man - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem With The Black Man (2864 Views)

Jesus Was A Black Man / The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance / The Black Woman Is God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With The Black Man by ooman(m): 10:42pm On Feb 05, 2013
It has been found that blacks and whites have the same number of brain cells, muscle cells etc. It has been biologically confirmed that both races belong to the same species.

But what then is wrong with the black man? why do they appear to be the least evolved, less intelligent, less developed etc?

It was found that it is only among the black community that you will find more than 99% of the population to be religious.

It was then concluded that the problem with black people is that they are too gullible, they will believe just anything. They are too religious. Religion was concluded to be the problem with black people.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 7:53am On Feb 06, 2013
Good morning ooman,

I am of the opinion that you opened your post well, your premise is a bit shaky and your conclusion is fallacious.

The fact that the black man appears unintelligent to you, does not in any way imply that he is. Intelligence has nothing to do with one's religious affiliation or colour.

Intelligence has to do with an individual's capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts and similar forms of mental activity. It also connotes a high mental capacity. It is a proven fact that the black man has demonstrated all these repeatedly over the years and as such deserves the right to be seen as intelligent.

It is fallacious to conclude that the black man's problem is religion. Italy is one of the 10 most developed countries of the world and as at 2006 they boast of a religious population of over 95%. Spain happens to be another developed country and as at 2011 has over 70% of it's population in one form of religion or the other.

So ooman, if something is to blame for the ish in our dear country and by extension the black race, it is definitely not religion.

Thank you!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by ooman(m): 9:47am On Feb 06, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning ooman,

I am of the oinion that you opened your post well, your premise is a bit shaky and your conclusion is fallacious.

The fact that the black man appears unintelligent to you, does not in any way imply that he is. Intelligence has nothing to do with one's religious affiliation or colour.

Intelligence has to do with an individual's capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts and similar forms of mental activity. It also connotes a high mental capacity. It is a proven fact that the black man has demonstrated all these repeatedly over the years and as such deserves the right to be seen as intelligent.

It is fallacious to conclude that the black man's problem is religion. Italy is one of the 10 most developed countries of the world and as at 2006 they boast of a religious population of over 95%. Spain happens to be another developed country and as at 2011 has over 70% of it's population in one form of religion or the other.

So ooman, if something is to blame for the ish in our dear country and by extension the black race, it is definitely not religion.

Thank you!

Dearie

I love your argument but you failed to address some issues.

Religion makes people feel secure in the hand of an imaginary being. You will agree with me that rather than for people to work hard, they rather pray to God, expecting a kind of miracle. This surfaced when we won our last match and the next thing the official did is to thank Pst. TB Joshua for his "prayers". That implied that the crew never thought the could win on their own ability. They have lost a sense of self confidence and so we dont have hope on our next coming game except another prophecy surfaces.

Religion makes one feel that a God cares and will help so makes one nonchalant to major problems, and so rather than for our government to work in building Africa, they call for prayers.

All black people share one trait in common, their cities are undeveloped and they are very primitive in behavior.
All black people also share one thing in common, they are "all"(majority are) religious.

All white people share one thing in common, their cities are developed and they are very modern in their behavior.
All white people also share one thing in common, they are not "all" (majority are not) religious.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by advocate666: 10:09am On Feb 06, 2013

I am of the oinion that you opened your post well, your premise is a bit shaky and your conclusion is fallacious.

Thank you!

If it is not foreign religion, what is it?
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 06, 2013
Wow ooman,

ooman:

Dearie

I love your argument but you failed to address some issues.

Unfortunately you are not a damsel in distress and this will make our 'tango' a little awkward. Anyways, I love your argument too! You have brought up some grey areas which I know to be true but ooman instead of doing the 'tango' with me seamlessly you have decided to start up your very own break dance. Let's see how I can bring these to harmony.

ooman:
Religion makes people feel secure in the hand of an imaginary being.

Key word: Secure! 'Bad' word: imaginary!

I quite agree with you that having an Almighty God as a friend tend to make some religious people feel very secure. Personally I don't feel secure, I KNOW I am secure because of him.

ooman:
You will agree with me that rather than for people to work hard, they rather pray to God, expecting a kind of miracle. This surfaced when we won our last match and the next thing the official did is to thank Pst. TB Joshua for his "prayers". That implied that the crew never thought the could win on their own ability. They have lost a sense of self confidence and so we dont have hope on our next coming game except another prophecy surfaces.

Hmmm...Um...***ooman please can you come close for a sec? Don't worry I won't kiss you for I aint gay; and please don't tell anyone what I am about to tell you, especially my brethren***...Erm...I don't believe that TB Joshua has a hand in our victory.

Now @bold, I agree with you almost completely. But ooman don't you think that this is not applicable to every religious person? Yea, it's true that some people who are religious tend to be lazy and hope that God will come down from heaven to do their work for them. There is this slang that is used for such people: BUM!!! St. Paul puts it perfectly when he said:

2Thessalonians 3:10

10 While we were with you, we used to tell you, “Whoever refuses to work is not allowed to eat.

So ooman that mentality is not Christian and I don't think any religion would condone laziness. I re-iterate that though some religious persons do that but it is not applicable to every religious person and for those who do it, this is grossly inappropriate.

I expect every true Christian to work very hard to achieve results and to pray even harder as if he has not done any work. What a true Christian prays for is that God blesses the work of his hand and also accept the hard work put in as supplication for whatever intention. There is dignity in labour!

ooman:
Religion makes one feel that a God cares and will help so makes one nonchalant to major problems, and so rather than for our government to work in building Africa, they call for prayers.

Our government is irresponsible and a major disappointment! It is an insult on every Nigerian for the government to play politics in God's name. They know the problem of this country. The average Nigerian on the streets knows these problems and can proffer plausible solutions to curb them, so if a government who has the requisite resources provided by God calls for prayers when they are actually the CAUSE of the problem then they are only deceiving themselves.

It's high time we faced our problems head on and solve them but trust me when I tell you that religion is not the problem. If religion is, then Italy, Spain and even Israel won't be developed. As at 2011, about 96% of the Israeli population were into religion.

ooman:
All black people share one trait in common, their cities are undeveloped and they are very primitive in behavior.
All black people also share one thing in common, they are "all"(majority are) religious.

I beg to defer sir! Not every black person acts primitive. Now for the others, I hope you have your facts right?

ooman:
All white people share one thing in common, their cities are developed and they are very modern in their behavior.
All white people also share one thing in common, they are not "all" (majority are not) religious.

C'mon ooman, do you consider countries like Poland, Hungary, Romania etc developed countries? These are predominantly white countries but they are not developed. At best they are developing. And ooman, Italy and Spain are predominantly white and the religious people in those countries are weigh above 70% of the respective populations.

Thank you!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 06, 2013
advocate666:

If it is not foreign religion, what is it?

Ah...Oga advocate I throway salute sir!

Nigeria's problems are numerous! If I start to mention all of them, I will be here for God knows when!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by advocate666: 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Ah...Oga advocate I throway salute sir!

Nigeria's problems are numerous! If I start to mention all of them, I will be here for God knows when!

Not Nigeria. Black man.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2013
advocate666:

Not Nigeria. Black man.

If you are talking about the balck man then I will say that it would be fallacious to attribute religion to every balck person.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Areaboy2(m): 12:41pm On Feb 06, 2013
I've studied this issue extensively and have come to a number of conclusions. we are physically as developed as any other race. However, the way you bring up a child makes all the difference. The way we bring up our children is the one plague for the black man.

Wish I could sit here long enough to explain my point but i have a bad cold sad. When i get better i'll be back to explain

1 Like

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 06, 2013
Area_boy: I've studied this issue extensively and have come to a number of conclusions. we are physically as developed as any other race. However, the way you bring up a child makes all the difference. The way we bring up our children is the one plague for the black man.

Wish I could sit here long enough to explain my point but i have a bad cold sad. When i get better i'll be back to explain

Get well soon!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by advocate666: 12:56pm On Feb 06, 2013
Area_boy: I've studied this issue extensively and have come to a number of conclusions. we are physically as developed as any other race. However, the way you bring up a child makes all the difference. The way we bring up our children is the one plague for the black man.

You mean beating them like nama because the book said spare not the rod?

Or you mean forcing them to obey foolish parents and respect useless elders because the commandments of the book said so?

And don't get me started on the islamic side.

It all comes back to religion no matter how you look at it.

3 Likes

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by ooman(m): 3:36pm On Feb 06, 2013
striktlymi:

C'mon ooman, do you consider countries like Poland, Hungary, Romania etc developed countries? These are predominantly white countries but they are not developed. At best they are developing. And ooman, Italy and Spain are predominantly white and the religious people in those countries are weigh above 70% of the respective populations.

Thank you!

@striktlymi: compare Poland, Hungary, Romania with Togo, Mali, Benin and you will see a great difference.

In recent international polls on yahoo, these european countries ranked higher than USA among countries conducive for living.

I quite agree with areaboy that it is the african upbring that caused the problem of the blackman, but you will also agree that every parent brings up their child in the religious way, in the "Godly" way and that kills us.

If any other white country have the number of religious people as africa has, then they will have problems too.

Dont forget that people in Govt. are either Xtians or Muslims and they are the "problem" of our land. So if our govt is the problem, then the religious people are the problem, then religion is the problem.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 06, 2013
Good evening ooman,

Apologies for the late response. Was busy with the game with Mali.

ooman:

@striktlymi: compare Poland, Hungary, Romania with Togo, Mali, Benin and you will see a great difference.

In recent international polls on yahoo, these european countries ranked higher than USA among countries conducive for living.

Actually ooman, the bone of contention was whether those countries are developed or not. I am happy we are in agreement that not every 'white' country is developed. @Bold, who exactly are those countries suitable for? Everyone or just whites? With due respect to some of those countries, their racist records are really nothing to 'cry to mammy about'. I won't dwell on these countries cause it would be a digression from the discuss at hand.

ooman:
I quite agree with areaboy that it is the african upbring that caused the problem of the blackman, but you will also agree that every parent brings up their child in the religious way, in the "Godly" way and that kills us.

I agree with you to the extent that some African parents really do not bring up their children appropriately but this is not peculiar to the blacks or Africans; even some white parents are no better themselves. However, I do not agree with the bold cause what some people consider "bringing up a child in the religious way" is actually the opposite. The level of societal decay we experience is a direct result of parents not bringing up their children the way God would want them to. What we see is a misapplication of religion.

Note also that parents in developed countries like Italy also ensure that their children are brought up in religion, yet they don't have the kind of problems we have. I believe firmly that the cause of the problem has a lot to do with our path to development. This path was not allowed to mature. I have my theory on this but it might be a digression so I will pass.

ooman:
If any other white country have the number of religious people as africa has, then they will have problems too.

I have demonstrated in more than one post that the above is not correct. Check countries like Italy, Spain and Israel. They are developed but they do not share the same problems we have.

ooman:
Dont forget that people in Govt. are either Xtians or Muslims and they are the "problem" of our land. So if our govt is the problem, then the religious people are the problem, then religion is the problem.

Those people in government claim to be Muslims and Christians! Claims come cheap but putting religion into practice does not. I quite agree that some of them are into religion but I do not agree that they practice what their religion preaches. Christianity is against stealing but what do we see: "Ghana must go" bags passing from one Agbagada to another. This is not what religion preaches, at least I can speak for Christianity.

People are corrupt because they want to be not because their religion teaches them to. My dear ooman I feel the pains you feel but where we defer is, you prefer to pursue a personal agenda against religion instead of focusing on the problem.

PS: I do admire your patriotism but let us focus on the problems!

Thank you!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 06, 2013

I am of the opinion that you opened your post well, your premise is a bit shaky and your conclusion is fallacious.

Thank you!

That is demonstrably false, especially with new data
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

That is demonstrably false, especially with new data

Good evening Logic Boy,

Falsehood implies inaccuarate data. Can you help us with the stat for 2006 and 2011 then since mine is not true?

I hope you would demonstrate to us that Italy and Spain are not among the top 10 most developed countries of the world and at 2006 and 2011 their religious populatiions are not upto 95% and 70% respectively?

Thanks!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening Logic Boy,

Falsehood implies inaccuarate data. Can you help us with the stat for 2006 and 2011 then since mine is not true?

I hope you would demonstrate to us that Italy and Spain are not among the top 10 most developed countries of the world and at 2006 and 2011 their religious populatiions are not upto 95% and 70% respectively?

Thanks!

Take a look at where italy and spain are as at 2011 Human development index are

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Take a look at where italy and spain are as at 2011 Human development index are

Good morning Logicboy,

Oh...now I see what you mean but this does not imply that the data I gave is false. I understand you used the Human Development Index (HDI) which takes into account how an economy turns it's income "into education and health opportunities and therefore into higher levels of human development." Though this is a very good measure of human development, it can only give us an insight on the level of development of an economy but not rank countries in terms of economic development.

I agree that a high HDI score is a pointer to how developed an economy could be i.e there is a strong positive correlation between a high HDI and development but this does not tell us categorically whether a country is developed or not. It can however tell us about a country's potential for growth and development. HDI is not a suitable tool for ranking countries in terms of which are the most developed in the world.

I will demonstrate this by using two countries to make the analysis simple for us. Cyprus is considered a developed country (list of developing countries => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country#List_of_developing_economies ) and it has a HDI ranking of 31 and a high HDI score of 0.840 but the United Arab Emirates which boasts of a higher HDI ranking of 30 and a HDI score of 0.846 is considered to be a developing country.

Though there are some level of disagreements as to which indices to use to categorize countries in terms of the most developed, it is generally acceptable to use the nominal GDP, per capita income, the level of industrialization and a host of other performance measures.

Included in the top ten most advanced economies in the world as at 2011 are:

1) USA
2) Japan
3) Germany
4) France
5) United Kingdom
6) Italy
7) Canada
8. Spain
9) South Korea

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country

Thank you!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Good morning Logicboy,

Oh...now I see what you mean but this does not imply that the data I gave is false. I understand you used the Human Development Index (HDI) which takes into account how an economy turns it's income "into education and health opportunities and therefore into higher levels of human development." Though this is a very good measure of human development, it can only give us an insight on the level of development of an economy but not rank countries in terms of economic development.

I agree that a high HDI score is a pointer to how developed an economy could be i.e there is a strong positive correlation between a high HDI and development but this does not tell us categorically whether a country is developed or not. It can however tell us about a country's potential for growth and development. HDI is not a suitable tool for ranking countries in terms of which are the most developed in the world.

I will demonstrate this by using two countries to make the analysis simple for us. Cyprus is considered a developed country (list of developing countries => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country#List_of_developing_economies ) and it has a HDI ranking of 31 and a high HDI score of 0.840 but the United Arab Emirates which boasts of a higher HDI ranking of 30 and a HDI score of 0.846 is considered to be a developing country.

Though there are some level of disagreements as to which indices to use to categorize countries in terms of the most developed, it is generally acceptable to use the nominal GDP, per capita income, the level of industrialization and a host of other performance measures.

Included in the top ten most advanced economies in the world as at 2011 are:

1) USA
2) Japan
3) Germany
4) France
5) United Kingdom
6) Italy
7) Canada
8. Spain
9) South Korea

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country

Thank you!

Did you study economics and other social sciences?

Here is a basic understanding of economics and sociology that you lack

The large size or strength of an economy does not mean that the people living it in enjoy a high standard of living. Case in point; America and its healthcare system that is backwards compared to other western countries or the poverty in America or the divide between rich and poor in America compared to western countries.

Your data is still false as the HDI is the best measure of an advanced country. It is even listed as the first option in your link about developed countries. The HDI does not make the error of using the size of an economy as the factor of advancement. It incporporates a whole range of measures.

Your link shows 5 different rankings of developed countries and none of them contain the rankings that you have put. Not only hat, Spain and Italy were consistently missing from the 5 different rankings except one in which italy was number 8 (2005)
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by manmustwac(m): 12:24pm On Feb 07, 2013
To me there's a lot more to it than religion. I was in Nigeria from the middle of November until the middle of January and noticed the general indiscipline in our society I have seen women pull up their dress insert their finger between their legs with both legs wide apart & begin to urinate in full view of the public is just one example. Reading stories about babies being stolen from churches to be used for ritual purposes is another, what about children being ostracised from their families because they have been accused of being witches by a their pastor or a family friend & many nigerians still believe in juju. We still have a long way to go the brain of the african man is still evolving.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by ooman(m): 1:04pm On Feb 07, 2013
@striktlymi: as far as african people continue to believe in help coming from a kind of God, people will never do anything by themselve.
I hate it when leaders call for prayers rather than work, i hate it when they say stuff like God help us or we leave things in the hand of God, when infact we should take our responsibility by ourselves.

There is so much wrong with the black community, and we will all agree now that the majority of the population is counting on their God for help rather than on themselves and what they could do to help this land.
They call in God always when we should all sit, forget prayer and start working.

Prayer doesnt produce any result, African communities are proofs, because if prayer and religion and being religious and pious is what comprise building a nation and success, i think we all agree that Africa would be the most successful and developed land.

People (and that include you) must be told that their way of life, their religious way of life, committing everything to the hands of God, kills this land.

The whites might be religious too, no doubting that but they are also hard working, they know to build their cities.
But check out the history on the black man, we dont build cities, we worship gods and people are complacent with whatever comes and accept that their god is either punishing them or rewarding them.

I think that you will agree with me that most people think that the reason why the African community is undeveloped is because God is punishing us for our sins. what sins i do not know.
But when people are freed from Religion, when we get God out of our land, especially the strange xtian and muslims Gods, then people can take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming the devil or thanking God.

The mentality of the black man is primitive, we dont build, and people run to gods whenever there is a problem.
As long as religion stays with us, people will always run to their Gods rather than think and work.

Religion totally mutilates one's faculty of thing, sorry but that includes yours because as a religion person, your brain is in that book called Bible or Quran, all of you religious people can't think outside of it.
Africa will get better when people start thinking outside the "Holy Books".

1 Like

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2013
ooman: @striktlymi: as far as african people continue to believe in help coming from a kind of God, people will never do anything by themselve.
I hate it when leaders call for prayers rather than work, i hate it when they say stuff like God help us or we leave things in the hand of God, when infact we should take our responsibility by ourselves.

There is so much wrong with the black community, and we will all agree now that the majority of the population is counting on their God for help rather than on themselves and what they could do to help this land.
They call in God always when we should all sit, forget prayer and start working.

Prayer doesnt produce any result, African communities are proofs, because if prayer and religion and being religious and pious is what comprise building a nation and success, i think we all agree that Africa would be the most successful and developed land.

People (and that include you) must be told that their way of life, their religious way of life, committing everything to the hands of God, kills this land.

The whites might be religious too, no doubting that but they are also hard working, they know to build their cities.
But check out the history on the black man, we dont build cities, we worship gods and people are complacent with whatever comes and accept that their god is either punishing them or rewarding them.

I think that you will agree with me that most people think that the reason why the African community is undeveloped is because God is punishing us for our sins. what sins i do not know.
But when people are freed from Religion, when we get God out of our land, especially the strange xtian and muslims Gods, then people can take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming the devil or thanking God.

The mentality of the black man is primitive, we dont build, and people run to gods whenever there is a problem.
As long as religion stays with us, people will always run to their Gods rather than think and work.

Religion totally mutilates one's faculty of thing, sorry but that includes yours because as a religion person, your brain is in that book called Bible or Quran, all of you religious people can't think outside of it.

Dont mind Striklymi,

If you take America as an example, the African americans are more religious than the whites and yet the African americans are at the bottom of the society with over twice as less income than the whites.

Even Europe compared to Africa is very very irreligious.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 07, 2013
Good afternoon Logicboy,

*smiles

Logicboy03:

Did you study economics and other social sciences?

Here is a basic understanding of economics and sociology that you lack

The large size or strength of an economy does not mean that the people living it in enjoy a high standard of living.

I quite agree with you on the above. It is very possible for a country to be prosperous economically while this prosperity is not felt by it's citizenry. However, since this is not a matter in dispute I won't dwell on it.

Logicboy03:
Case in point; America and its healthcare system that is backwards compared to other western countries or the poverty in America or the divide between rich and poor in America compared to western countries.

Well you are correct when you say that the USA is plagued with an uneven distribution of the it's wealth and comparatively, America's health care policies might be "backward" as you said but again this is not in dispute.

Logicboy03:
Your data is still false as the HDI is the best measure of an advanced country.

You still maintain that my data is false but you have not provided us with evidence to disprove it. Whether or not the HDI is is the "best" measure is again not in dispute. However, I agree that the HDI can point us in the right direction on the development status of a country but this does not rank countries in terms of development and it also does not tell us categorically that a country is developed. I gave the example of the UAE and Cyprus.

Logicboy03:
It is even listed as the first option in your link about developed countries.

Well LB I don't know about the bold up there but I will paste the first few comments of that link for you to confirm.

A developed country or "more developed country" (MDC), is a sovereign state that has a highly developed economy and advanced technological infrastructure relative to other less developed nations. Most commonly the criteria for evaluating the degree of economic development is gross domestic product (GDP), the per capita income, level of industrialization, amount of widespread infrastructure and general standard of living

curled from the link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country

Logicboy03:
The HDI does not make the error of using the size of an economy as the factor of advancement. It incporporates a whole range of measures.

I believe I have provided evidence that the HDI is not a good tool to use to measure development. However, my argument is not about discrediting the HDI. The HDI is a very important measure, though a new measure but non-the-less it is very important but it does not rank countries in terms of the most advanced. It can only suggest development but not tell us that a country is developed. UAE is a good example as I mentioned before.

Logicboy03:
Your link shows 5 different rankings of developed countries and none of them contain the rankings that you have put. Not only hat, Spain and Italy were consistently missing from the 5 different rankings except one in which italy was number 8 (2005)

@Bold: see evidence below:

In 2011, the ten largest advanced economies by either nominal GDP or GDP (PPP) are the United States, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Spain and South Korea

Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 07, 2013
striktlymi: Good afternoon Logicboy,

*smiles

I quite agree with you on the above. It is very possible for a country to be prosperous economically while this prosperity is not felt by it's citizenry. However, since this is not a matter in dispute I won't dwell on it.

Well you are correct when you say that the USA is plagued with an uneven distribution of the it's wealth and comparatively, America's health care policies might be "backward" as you said but again this is not in dispute.

You still maintain that my data is false but you have not provided us with evidence to disprove it. Whether or not the HDI is is the "best" measure is again not in dispute. However, I agree that the HDI can point us in the right direction on the development status of a country but this does not rank countries in terms of development and it also does not tell us categorically that a country is developed. I gave the example of the UAE and Cyprus.

Well LB I don't know about the bold up there but I will paste the first few comments of that link for you to confirm.

A developed country or "more developed country" (MDC), is a sovereign state that has a highly developed economy and advanced technological infrastructure relative to other less developed nations. Most commonly the criteria for evaluating the degree of economic development is gross domestic product (GDP), the per capita income, level of industrialization, amount of widespread infrastructure and general standard of living

I believe I have provided evidence that the HDI is not a good tool to use to measure development. However, my argument is not about discrediting the HDI. The HDI is a very important measure, though a new measure but non-the-less it is very important but it does not rank countries in terms of the most advanced. It can only suggest development but not tell us that a country is developed. UAE is a good example as I mentioned before.

@Bold: see evidence below:

In 2011, the ten largest advanced economies by either nominal GDP or GDP (PPP) are the United States, Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Spain and South Korea

1) The HDI is the best tool for deciding how advanced a country is. It is called human development indexfor a reason? What is development if not advancement?

2) Sorry,I didnt see the part where your link listed the ten largest advanced economies

3) Following number 2, you can see that you are being dishonest because that is not a proper ranking. It uses only the nominal GDP to rank the countries. Remember that you also agreed that the size of an economy does not translate to the welfare of the citizens. Furthermore, the HDI is fairly consistent with the other 4 rankings of developed countries defined by different organisations

Back to the case in hand, religion is at most times a hindrance to societal progress.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 07, 2013
Good afternoon ooman,

ooman: @striktlymi: as far as african people continue to believe in help coming from a kind of God, people will never do anything by themselve.

I am as disgusted as you are at the hypocrisy of our leaders. My heart bleeds whenever they call for prayers when the tools needed to take us of this mess are just there for all to see. I do not condone laziness as I mentioned in a previous post and I share your views that we should work hard to make Nigeria great but unlike you, I don't see religion as the problem.

ooman:

Well ooman the problem is not how often people call on God but rather that people are being lazy. I have shown you where St. Paul spoke against laziness. I don't have a problem if someone says he is an Atheist but get's a task completed as at when due. In the same vein I also have no issue when someone calls on God and still get the job done. What an individual believes, does not believe or refuse to believe in is not really the point. What we should look at is one's willingness and ability to get the job done.

ooman:

@Bold: your opinion just like my opinion is that it produces results. I quite agree that some religious people tend to get the wrong notion of prayer and make a mockery of it. Sad but still does not prove that it is not efficacious.

ooman, nation building is the job of everyone. If one has the belief that God will come down from heaven to build Nigeria for us then I wonder how that individual became a Christian in the first place. The individual is just a pathetic bum as I mentioned in a previous post.

Using religion as a basis for development is not appropriate for the simple reason that human beings are prone to doing things differently. A lot of people misapply religion, so using a misapplication of religion to judge development is inadequate.

However, the principles guiding development are not condemned by religion (at least I know about Christianity). It's just like a lazy student who want's God to write his exams for him as against a diligent student who works hard to achieve results. Religion won't tell you not to study but one who misapply's it would want to shelve reading and depend on faith. This is not right.

ooman:

With due respect ooman, you don't know me and you don't know how I go about my religious life. Laziness is not peculiar to just religious people. Even the irreligious have it's fair share of bums. Whether or not one calls on God, a bum is a bum.

ooman:

@Bold: I couldn't have put it better myself. So you know that one can be religious and hardworking at the same time?...this is incredible **dances in gangnam style**...no need to go further the bold says it all. So let the black man learn.

ooman:

Well ooman...I don't think that our level of development is a curse or punishment from God. I also believe that anyone that has attained the age of reasoning should be held responsible his or actions...I am into religion and I know these facts. I really don't need to be an Atheist to know and I appreciate them.

ooman:

Sorry ooman can you lighten up on the 'primitive' thingy. Do you agree that your mentality is primitive? Well if you do, I don't accept that mine is primitive.

ooman:

@Bold: are you saying that the Spaniards do not think? or that the Italians do not think? I have proved that there are countries where the majority are into religion and they are also developed. But you are yet to prove your theory...sorry to say but you focus on opinions rather than facts.

*this ya dance hard gan! grin

Thank you!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Dont mind Striklymi,

If you take America as an example, the African americans are more religious than the whites and yet the African americans are at the bottom of the society with over twice as less income than the whites.

Even Europe compared to Africa is very very irreligious.

Haba LB,

He shouldn't mind me?

Don't tell me that some Atheists don't appreciate TRUTH even if it comes from Theist?

The last time I checked Italy and Spain were still part of Europe. They are religiously inclined and they are developed.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Haba LB,

He shouldn't mind me?

Don't tell me that some Atheists don't appreciate TRUTH even if it comes from Theist?

The last time I checked Italy and Spain were still part of Europe. They are religiously inclined and they are developed.

You pick 2 countries that are religious out of many in europe which are not only beter and more developed but also less religious
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by advocate666: 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2013
Italy and Spain are no more religious than UK and Germany.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) The HDI is the best tool for deciding how advanced a country is. It is called human development indexfor a reason? What is development if not advancement?

2) Sorry,I didnt see the part where your link listed the ten largest advanced economies

3) Following number 2, you can see that you are being dishonest because that is not a proper ranking. It uses only the nominal GDP to rank the countries. Remember that you also agreed that the size of an economy does not translate to the welfare of the citizens. Furthermore, the HDI is fairly consistent with the other 4 rankings of developed countries defined by different organisations

Back to the case in hand, religion is at most times a hindrance to societal progress.

Okay LB let's settle this. I will use your measure of development. According to the 'development' index you choose to use, Norway is the number one on the list with a Human Development Index of 0.943 (the highest in 2011).

Now Norway boasts of a religious population of 86.4%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Norway#Religion_in_Norway_today

This again shows that religion is not the problem.
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

You pick 2 countries that are religious out of many in europe which are not only beter and more developed but also less religious

I apologize for picking only 2, but it is known that when one needs to disprove an assertion a sample of one is enough to do that.

The scientific process for proving a theory is to show that the assertion is true for 1, true for 2, such that 1,2,3,....k is true, and 1,2,3,....k,k+1 is true then we can conclude that it is true for every nth term.

On the other hand, to disprove an assertion, we only need to show that it is not true for one and the foundation on which that assertion is built comes crumbling down.

Thank you!
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Okay LB let's settle this. I will use your measure of development. According to the 'development' index you choose to use, Norway is the number one on the list with a Human Development Index of 0.943 (the highest in 2011).

Now Norway boasts of a religious population of 86.4%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Norway#Religion_in_Norway_today

This again shows that religion is not the problem.

False.

Norway

A 2006 survey in the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten (on February 17), saw 1,006 inhabitants of Norway answering the question "What do you believe in?". 29% answered "I believe in a god or deity", 23% answered "I believe in a higher power without being certain of what", 26% answered "I don't believe in God or higher powers" and 22% answered "I am in doubt". Still, As of December 2010, 78% of the population are members of the Norwegian state's official Lutheran Protestant church. All Norwegians with at least one parent who is a member are automatically registered as members at birth, so the vast majority of the members have done nothing actively to join, effectively creating an opt-out system where membership is not considered a serious statement of faith in Christianity, and one where many keep themselves enrolled for the sake of possibly wanting to have a ceremony in the church at some point in their life, without this necessarily implying belief
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

After reading the bold, you will realise that your claim is false. Many people in the West are listed in a religion due to family background and cultural purpose not because they practice it.

Norway is not known for being religious.

Phil Zuckerman, an Associate Professor of Sociology at Pitzer College estimates atheism rates in Norway as ranging from 31 to 72%, based on various studies.[5]
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 07, 2013
striktlymi:

I apologize for picking only 2, but it is known that when one needs to disprove an assertion a sample of one is enough to do that.

The scientific process for proving a theory is to show that the assertion is true for 1, true for 2, such that 1,2,3,....k is true, and 1,2,3,....k,k+1 is true then we can conclude that it is true for every nth term.

On the other hand, to disprove an assertion, we only need to show that it is not true for one and the foundation on which that assertion is built comes crumbling down.

Thank you!

If 4 countries out of 30 in a continent are religious does that make the continent religious?
Re: The Problem With The Black Man by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

If 4 countries out of 30 in a continent are religious does that make the continent religious?

Bros no need to vex o! smiley

I never said that the whole of Europe is religious!

I suggest you read my posts again and verify the bases of my argument. You might want to read the first post from ooman too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peller Speaks On Fraud In TB Joshua, Oyakhilome's Operations / Homosexuality Is A Shameful Act. / Dont Be Deceived! This Is What The Northerners Are Planning?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.