Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,680 members, 7,809,575 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

The Exchange - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Exchange (12391 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 10, 2013
Osyxcel: That's all U got to give now?....expected U to update much more than this after that long break...

Anyway, how are U & studies?
I'm really SoRry, will update soon, my battery is down now. I'm very fine, thanks for asking, I'm sure you r good too smiley

Damex333: Bolushalom this is called sure wickedness, after starving us 4 so long, u now have us a taste just 2 touch our tongue and vanish. E NO GOOD O
Sorry Damex cheesy, will update soon.
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 8:26am On Mar 11, 2013
Bolushalom: I'm sure you r good too smiley

Yes I am, and thanks for asking too
Re: The Exchange by ITbomb(m): 10:07am On Mar 11, 2013
Please make an update, I'm getting the flow
Lovely stuff
*thinking*
My next candidate for the frontpage

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 13, 2013
She woke up before cock crow, but she couldn't do anything nor could she go outside the building as she was new to the place. She laid on her back and stared at the ceiling, waiting patiently for the cock to crow. When it did, she heard voices outside, she got up and looked through the window, she saw four girls with pots preparing to go to the river, she recognised one of them as the one who had brought her food the previous night, and she concluded they were Iya Aladire's servants. She dashed out of the house to meet them.
"Good morning" she greeted them
"Good morning" they replied bowing their heads
"Can I get pot, I would like to go to the river with you"
"Oh, you can't", the one who had brought her food said "Mama said you are the daughter of the house now, and you are not allowed to do things like that".
"Will she get angry if I insist?"
"No, she won't, Mama hardly gets angry"
"Then I insist"
"If you do, but you should know you don't have to"
"I want to". She was given a pot and they headed to the river.
There was silence at first, then the one who had brought her food broke the silence.
"My name is Labake, and Mama said I should be your guide around the compound and ill assist you with whatever you need"
"Thank you" She replied.
"You can call on us too, anytime" one of the other two girls added.
"Thank you" she said again
She was very uncomfortable with this kind of treatment, she didn't grow up to be attended to, she had always been the one doing the attending, to her real mother and her siblings. Labake continued talking to her, while other girls chatted away.
"You are to meet three of your brothers today, they are younger, so you are their elder sister. The other three have gone hunting since six nights ago, Baba had not gone with them because..because, you know why. He'll leave to meet them tonight.
"When will they come back?"
"We can't say, they come back when they are ready"
"Okay".
She was to meet her brothers, she hoped they like her and if they don't she'll understand, she was nervous, but everyone in the Family seems to be nice, quite the opposite of what she had expected. She put her mind at ease and prayed to the gods that they like her.
"What kind of hairstyle do you like, it doesn't look like you have made your hair in a long time" Labake interupted her thoughts.
"Adiseyin"
"Oh, that one is too simple and it doesn't look very sophisticated compared to shuku or kojusoko......"
Labake went on and on talking about hairstyles, she was obviously a talkative, but she liked her.
They got to the river, and were able to get a clean water out of the river as there were few people there yet. They headed back home with Labake now talking about Adire.

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 13, 2013
ITbomb: Please make an update, I'm getting the flow
Lovely stuff
*thinking*
My next candidate for the frontpage
cheesy
Re: The Exchange by ebamma(m): 8:05pm On Mar 13, 2013
Feed me more am waiting
Re: The Exchange by luvmijeje(f): 9:01pm On Mar 13, 2013
Bolushalom well done,what a simple and beautiful write-up.
But what's the main character's name or is this not fiction and what's her age bracket?
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 13, 2013
luvmijeje: Bolushalom well done,what a simple and beautiful write-up.
But what's the main character's name or is this not fiction and what's her age bracket?
Thanks.....cheesy, the name and age will come up soon.

ebamma: Feed me more am waiting
will do smiley
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2013
Last Update: 1 week ago
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 7:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
am just gonna act like a big girl and not ask for more

but

don't keep me hangingsmiley

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by Bholar18: 10:01am On Mar 22, 2013
Pls update soon.can't wait!
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 23, 2013
By the time they got back from the river, they day had gotten a little bit brighter, and the birds had started singing and chirping, she could see the faces of the other girls now. One of them looked very familiar, she must have seen her somewhere around the village before, she couldn't remember where exactly,or the number of times, that didn't surprise her because she hardly paid attention to other people outside her family as she wasn't allowed to make friends then.
They all emptied their water pots and turned to head back to the river for more before the water gets dirty. On their way out of the compound, they met Iya Aladire who had just stepped out of her own building, they all knelt down to greet.
Before Iya Aladire could say anything, Labake ran to the front and knelt down "We asked her not to follow us to the river but she insisted anyway, and I particularly...." Iya Aladire interrupted her by touching her shoulder.
"Good morning to you too, hope you all slept well?, Oderounbi, I was surprised not to see you in bed this morning, to be sincere I was scared. It was a relief to see you come back with them".
They all stared at her looking lost at first, then it was obvious she was Oderounbi, Iya Aladire had directed the statement at her.
" I err I left er......" She tried to reply, still shocked at the name
Iya Aladire smiled " You are a child of a hunter now, you should bear the name of one, I am your mother, and I have decided to name you that" she smiled again
She handed a wrap, of a black soap and sponge to Labake.
"You should have come to ask for these before you left before, you know she has to take her bath. Now hurry before the day becomes too bright for her to take her bath".
They left the compound and walked very fast to the river.
When they got back the second time, they met Iya Aladire outside her house piling up plain white materials to be turned into adire material.
"Oderounbi, please come here when you drop that"
Please? And she hasn't gotten used to that name and all these kindness yet.
"Help me with these"
"Yes Mama Al.." She knelt down and copied Iya Aladire's process of piling the materials
"Oh, call me Mother", she chuckled "you still have a lot to learn, I know you are still shy, you'll soon get over that. Now let's hurry, your brothers will soon be up, those boys are lazy but you'll love them.
She smiled too, she was not dreaming, nor was she imagining things, this was real and she was happy.....for the first time in years.

2 Likes

Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 23, 2013
Osyxcel: Last Update: 1 week ago
I'm so sowie, been quite busy...will more more time for this
Re: The Exchange by OreMeta: 11:31am On Mar 24, 2013
OMG what a beautiful, original, story. With elements of the Good, the Bad and the dam right Ugly. Often when we have been treated badly in our past, we think that any new situation would be 'worse'. This short story has eloquently proven us wrong. Bolushalom embrace your future and continue writing !!

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by luvmijeje(f): 11:38am On Mar 24, 2013
Bolushalom well done o.
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
Bolushalom: I'm so sowie, been quite busy...will more more time for this

I understand....
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 24, 2013
Ore_Meta: OMG what a beautiful, original, story. With elements of the Good, the Bad and the dam right Ugly. Often when we have been treated badly in our past, we think that any new situation would be 'worse'. This short story has eloquently proven us wrong. Bolushalom embrace your future and continue writing !!
Thank you very much, I'm really glad you like the story....I'm nt thru though cheesy

luvmijeje: Bolushalom well done o.
thanks! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 24, 2013
Osyxcel:

I understand....
Thanks for understanding :-)
Re: The Exchange by princesa(f): 8:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
enjoying the story......
keep the update regular will yawink
Re: The Exchange by Bluediamond1(f): 3:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
Bolushalom,thumbs up.
Re: The Exchange by Ice4jez(m): 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
my god i was think another good writer has shown up but ur update is disappointing.anyway i didnt regret reading ur write up
Re: The Exchange by wumsgreen(f): 6:36am On Mar 28, 2013
U re really GƠ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡D, L♥√ع Ūя̲̅ Ūя̲̅ story so much but pls try nd update on time plssssssssSsssssss
Re: The Exchange by odusberry(f): 12:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
Where r u naw,we r waitinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn[color=#770077][/color]
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 10:14pm On Mar 28, 2013
Awwwww guys, I'm so sowie, bEen really busy. Will update first thing tomao morning. Xoxo
Re: The Exchange by Osyxcel(m): 6:24am On Mar 29, 2013
^^^ At least, U now av arnd 4days of rest from Ur busy schedule....this tym arnd, U shd update much more than U've done previously. BTW, good work and thanks.
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 29, 2013
When they finished piling the cloths, Iya Ala dire took Oderounbi inside her room and gave her a pair of adire, iro and buba from one of the baskets of cloths.
"Wear this, the food is being prepared by one of the girls, yours will be brought to you."
"Thank you ma", Oderounbi knelt down to appreciate her. "I know its not easy to accept someone else in place of your real child, but you made it seem so easy, and I'm really grateful for your acceptance. I promise to make you happy all the time, Mother." Iya Aladire smiled
"And I'll be grateful if you do that, now dress up, when you are done eating, we'll go to your brothers' chamber." She turned to leave, then changed her mind.
"About the house chores, you don't have to do anything, leave them to the girls, they can take care of that. You can learn the Adire production anyway, you can join us while we are working, only if you want to though"
"I'd love to, I'd love to join the girls in doing the house chores too, I'm so used to doing them that I may fall sick if I don't."
Iya Aladire gave a wider grin " You'll make a very good wife one day, and very soon, I am very sure of that, and ill be very proud of you. Let me leave you now" she turned to leave finally.
Oderounbi was exceedingly happy, she became more anxious to meet her brothers, such a lovely woman must have wonderful children too. And marriage? She had never really thought of that, and she wasn't sure how she feels about it.
She wore the adire given to her by her mother, and just as she was through dressing up, Labake came in with her food, she placed the it on a small stool near the bed.
"We should plait your hair o, so the dressing can be complete, you look very good in that adire"
"Thank you, you can do that for me after I'm done eating right?"
"Yes I can, you are very nice and its obvious Mama likes you, I do too." Labake smiled shyly.
Oderounbi smiled too "Thank you, I do like you too, and I'm sure we'll get along very well. Have you had breakfast?."
" I will now, ill be back when I'm through" with that she left the room.
Oderounbi settled down to eat her food.
Re: The Exchange by trixandra(f): 11:40am On Mar 29, 2013
interesting piece but its too short
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 29, 2013
The boys were already outside polishing their small guns, preparing to go on hunting practice. The eldest Odetade would soon join the grown ups in the real hunting, he's about seventeen years old, he couldn't stop talking about it and sometimes he got on the nerves of his younger ones.
"I'm tired of this gun already, anyway I'll soon drop it, I'll get a real one when father comes back"
"You said that yesterday and the day before, we heard you all quite alright" Odedare, Odetade's immediate younger brother said.
"You don't talk to me that way, you forget most of the times that I am older than you, ehen" Odetade was already getting up his stool in anger when their mother came with a lady, they guessed she must be their sister's replacement.
"Ehen ehen, what is wrong with you, do you want to fight your brother? What did I tell you about fighting ehen? Now sit back."
Odetade obliged, their mother smiled and turned to the lady.
"Don't mind these children, they are troublesome ones, the eldest is Odetade" she points to him, "Odedare is the next, and that's Odedele, the last born of the house"
To the boys, she introduced Oderounbi as their sister and they just stared at her. Iya Aladire left her with them so they can get along, and for a while they all stood there without saying anything. Oderounbi broke the silence
"I'll really understand if you do not like me because I am not your real sister, but the gods have made me one and who are we to question the gods? I may not be or even act like your real sister but I promise to try my best and be the best sister you can have."
"Nobody mentioned not liking you, and we liked everybody better than our real sister." Odedare, the obviously blunt one replied her.
Slightly shocked at the reply, Oderounbi changed the topic of discussion,
"Okay....., so you are polishing your guns, where are you going to
hunt?"
"Oba bush", replied Odetade, but I will soon stop going with them when Father and our big brothers return from the real hunting, because I'm big enough to do real hunting now". Odedare gave him a disgusted look but did not say anything.
"Can we enter your chamber anytime we want? Odedele asked, he was about twelve years old
" What are you looking for in a woman's chamber?" Odedare snapped
"She's my sister, I should have access to her chamber"
"Did you have access to your former sister's Chamber?"
"Its okay" Oderounbi interrupted, "Of course you can come into my chamber anytime you like". Odedele gave his brother a triumphant smile.
"Let me leave you to polish your guns, I have to help mother". With that she left, smiling.
Re: The Exchange by oyestephen(m): 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2013
Nice update after a long while......keep it up bolu
Re: The Exchange by superbloke(m): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2013
Doesn't every poor child wish they were adopted by perhaps a Dangote. This is their fairytale embarassed
I usually don't comment but i like how this is going. Good job!

1 Like

Re: The Exchange by Ice4jez(m): 10:59pm On Mar 29, 2013
ok i give up.i don tire to keep quite.when should i be expecting d next update cos this is my tenth view today
Re: The Exchange by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 30, 2013
Thanks Y'all!!, I wouldn't have gotten this far if not for your encouragement. Thanks a bunch. Xoxoxo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Popular Nigerian Websites To Post Their Stories For Free / The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin / Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.