Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (68385 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / Fictional Story - Broken By Dharmie Lisa (@dharmielisa) / Road To Fame (A Fictional Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 07, 2013
Synopsis:

Promise Daodu was posted to Abuja for her NYSC programme. Circumstances beyond her control made her to desert the capital city. She started afresh in Lagos but the ghost of her past returned to haunt her.

2 Likes

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by ChikaSunday(m): 6:28pm On Feb 07, 2013
serahsadeiyare: Synopsis:

She was posted to Abuja for her NYSC programme. Circumstances beyond her control made her to desert the capital city. She started afresh in Lagos but the ghost of her past returned to haunt her.

Good,but it would have been better to put her name at the beginning or at the ending. you can call if you don't understand.

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 07, 2013
@chika-sunday... Thanks. The synopsis has been modified *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 8:07am On Feb 08, 2013
am so excited that the new story has started,but what is the name of the lady?nice start!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 8:08am On Feb 08, 2013
ok i have seen her name.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 1:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
. . . Following. . .
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2013
Am here now,we ase together in this,and LETS GO THERE

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by BukkyDan(f): 2:21pm On Feb 08, 2013
Yo! Aunty Serah is back! Me following ya all da way....
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Splendblex(f): 2:41pm On Feb 08, 2013
BukkyDan: Yo! Aunty Serah is back! Me following ya all da way....
oh yeacheesy

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2013
I welcome you all to another interesting thread.

I will update this story once in a week.

Please sit back, relax and enjoy.

N.B
My greatest desire is that, I want this story to impact you positively, causing changes in your life wherever it is needed.

Stay blessed!

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Obinnau(m): 5:05pm On Feb 08, 2013
ok aunty sera we are waiting.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 08, 2013
Aunty sarah we re waiting o,dont keep us waiting or else i will awaken the old sheila 4 u o.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Ollyfad(f): 11:10pm On Feb 08, 2013
Av markd attendance o nd am presnt nw pls jst dnt kip us waitin 4 2 lng lyk u did wit razor tongue
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by avicky(f): 1:03pm On Feb 09, 2013
Na wa o.
Is it not to early breaking promises? Keep to ur word now Sade.
*hands akimbo*.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 3:44pm On Feb 09, 2013
Damex333: Aunty sarah we re waiting o,dont keep us waiting or else i will awaken the old sheila 4 u o.
pls dnt it's too early!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2013
Pls exercise patience.

The first chapter of the story will be posted on the 14th of Feb. 2013

The story will be updated once in a week.

I believe you are all ready.

Thank you all!

Muuaah!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by adebayo201: 8:44pm On Feb 09, 2013
serahsadeiyare: Pls exercise patience.

The first chapter of the story will be posted on the 14th of Feb. 2013

The story will be updated once in a week.

I believe you are all ready.

Thank you all!

Muuaah!
na bribe b dat kiss oh!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by MumZ(f): 8:57pm On Feb 09, 2013
Subscribn
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by buskeske: 7:50am On Feb 10, 2013
Let's go theeeeeerrrrreeee
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by movmentish(m): 1:44pm On Feb 10, 2013
grin she back grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Ariyke: 3:12pm On Feb 10, 2013
grin grin Yipee!! She's back she's back *getting ready with my popcorn and fanta*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 12, 2013
Due to popular demand, the story begins today :-)
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 12, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 1

Osagie and Blessing Daodu sat on the sea sand beneath the tall coconut tree, wrapped in each other's arms. The sea breeze cooled their skin and refreshed their minds. They were glad that they had allowed their children to convince them to celebrate their birthdays at Takwa Bay beach. They had hesitated at first, but had succumbed after several days of enticement and sweet talk.

He and his wife were birthday mates; born in September, the twentieth to be precise. It had always been a pleasure to celebrate their birthdays together, be it at an organized party in their home with friends and family or at a restaurant with their children and a few family members who could make it. But this time around, their children suggested a beach-hang-out. No friends, no relatives, just them and the plan had turned out better than they anticipated.

"I prefer this beach to others I have been to," Blessing's gaze was fixed on the roaring waves.

"Same here," he squeezed her hand, "It is not crowded and every group here seem to have their own privacy."

She nodded in agreement.

"We will come back."

She turned to meet his gaze. He was smiling. She and her husband rarely take time off from their busy schedule. It will be a miracle if they could find time to relax at a place like this, without thinking of work, the children or anything else.

"I will love that."

"I know. We need a break."

"Yes, we do," she leaned into him. He kissed her lightly on the cheek and sighed.

"Darling... "

"Hmmm... "

"I think we should head back."

A frown creased his brow, "Why?" He was comfortable where he was. He wasn't ready to return to their shade.

"It is almost six."

"So?"

" Promise said all the boats will leave by six," Blessing looked at her husband.

"Really?"

She nodded. His frown deepened. A boat had brought them to the beach and they had been told that a boat will take them back. It had not been a fun-journey. The driver was too rough for his taste. Another boat ride wasn't something he was looking forward to. He got up and helped his wife to her feet.

"I don't think I want to be stranded on this beach."

She chuckled and held her fifty year old husband by the waist and they headed back to their shade.

They met Promise, their first daughter, arranging their picnic baskets.

"Did you enjoy your long work?" She smiled at them.

"Yes we did," Osagie sat on one of the beach chairs.

"Your father and I plan to come here once in a while," she winked at her husband.

"That's great!" The excitement in her eyes warmed their hearts. "Both of you need to take time off work and relax."

Osagie cleared his throat. He knew his daughter was right, but, he and his wife had spent the best of their years to establish a textile company. When one ran a business for so many years, it was hard to take a vacation.

"We are thinking about it," she assured her.

"Good, I am glad to hear that," she returned her attention to the coolers and baskets she was arranging into a big bag.

Her parents had been running a company of their own for as long as she could remember. The textile company her parents owned had fifty staff members and they produced quality local fabrics. Business had been topsy turvy over the years, but they had been able to feed, clothe and shelter her and her siblings. Hence, they had been able to send them to school.

Recently, her father had bought a five bedroom bungalow from a friend and this had eased the burden of paying rent annually. He had also bought a new car, and this had made his other car, a white Toyota Camiry 2004, available for her and her siblings to use.

"Where is Prince and Gift?"

Her mother's voice broke into her thoughts.

"Prince has gone to secure a boat for us and Gift said something about tagging along."

"Are you done?" Her father lifted himself up, "I don't want to be stranded here."

Promise looked up at her dad and burst out laughing.

Gift returned and informed them that the boat had been secured. She helped her elder sister to carry some of their picnic baskets and coolers. They all left the shade and headed straight for the exit.

An hour later, they alighted from the boat. They found their car, a black SUV Jeep, along the roadside. Prince paid the guy who had helped them to watch over it. They all got into the car and headed home.

"Mum, dad, I hope you enjoyed yourselves," Gift glanced back at her parents. They smiled and nodded.

"This is one of the benefits of living in Obalende, we will soon be home, unlike people heading towards the mainland, I don't envy them at all," Prince grinned. Gift rolled her eyes, her brother liked bragging about things that she considered unnecessary.

"When are you leaving for Abuja?" Gift addressed her elder sister.

"In two weeks time."

"Once you are through with camp-things, I will like to visit. I hope they give you a cool place to stay."

"Busy body!" Prince chided.

"What's your own?" She eyed him.

"Will you visit if they post her to one of those remote villages?"

Gift hissed and decided not to respond. Her family rarely travelled, except during the Christmas holiday. They sometimes travelled home to Esan Central to visit her grandparents. But, they don't spend more than a week there. She had never been to any other part of Nigeria and now that her elder sister had been posted to the capital city for her NYSC programme, she would vist her as much as possible. She hoped to be posted to Jos, Portharcourt or Abuja when she graduated in three years time. Those were the parts of Nigeria she had been longing to visit since she was a child.

"Don't mind your brother, you can visit whenever you want."

"Thank you Promise, " she smiled at her sister and stuck out her tongue at her elder brother.

Prince eyed her and concentrated on the road. His younger sister was a pain in the neck. He avoided her at school, but whenever they were home on vacation, he had to endure her presence. As far as he was concerned, last borns were pests. The sooner he graduated, the sooner he could leave home and start his own life. He had two sessions more before he completed his tertiary education.

Promised closed her eyes and leaned back on the leather car seat. She had never been to Abuja. Since she had been posted, she had googled about Abuja almost everyday, trying to find out as much as she could about the place. She wondered where her place of primary assignment would be. She doesn't mind teaching a bunch of students but she would prefer serving in a communications company, be it telecoms or any media houses.

'God, you know my heart. You know my thoughts and desires. But not my will, let your will be done in my life,' she said a prayer within her.

Prince drove into their compound at exactly 8 p.m. Promise and her siblings carried all the baskets, coolers, mats and sheets into the house, while their father shut and locked the gate. His wife waited for him and they went into the house together. It had been a good day.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 12, 2013
Wow,tin storY DON BEGIN,wen sud we be expecting d next one.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
I will update the story on vals day.

After Val, I will update it once in a week.

Thanks and God bless you all.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 12, 2013
Okay,aunty sarah,we will be expecting.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by BukkyDan(f): 2:01pm On Feb 12, 2013
Hmn...thanks aunty Serah! Gr8 work...sooo.....
Expecting ya update tomorrow.
#I guess that should be my val gift!#
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by avicky(f): 2:05pm On Feb 12, 2013
serahsadeiyare: I will update the story on vals day.

After Val, I will update it once in a week.

Thanks and God bless you all.
Amen o.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 8:25am On Feb 14, 2013
Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

The story continues today.

Muuaah!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Splendblex(f): 10:03am On Feb 14, 2013
serahsadeiyare: Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

The story continues today.

Muuaah!
Same here! We're patiently waiting o
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 14, 2013
Happy valentine aunty sarah,and every body in here. I am looking 4 my val,who win voluntarily accept 2 be my val.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 2

Promise stood under the torture of the morning sun and tried to get a cab to work. Unlike Lagos, cab fares in the capital city was fairly cheap. She would have opted for a bus, but she wasn't accustomed to the buses and their routes. Taking a cab to work and back was the best she could do at the moment.

She was headed for Government Secondary School in Garki. She had been a bit disappointed when she found out that she was going to be teaching. How she wished she was posted to NTA or somewhere else.

'Where are all these crazy cabs going?' She said to herself. She had been waving, but they didn't stop. She would get to work late if she didn't get a cab on time.

The self-contained apartment she shared with three other corpers was a stone throw from the bus-stop. She met the girls when she arrived at the camp and had found out that their place of primary assignments were also in some Secondary Schools in Garki.

The schools they were all posted to had made no provision for accommodations for them. They had gathered the little money they had and rented a self contained apartment in Area 1, Garki.

The landlord had been lenient enough to collect four hundred thousand naira for a full year. The other houses they had surveyed were more expensive and their owners wanted two years rent. Where would they get that kind of money from?

The money she had left might sort her out for the rest of the month, but she hoped that the government would pay them promptly and not delay their monthly allowance. The Secondary School she had been posted to had made no provision for monthly stipends. She wondered if the principal was siphoning the Corpers' fund allocated to the school and transferring it into his own pocket.

If she ran out of cash, she might have to call home. That would be her last resort. She doesn't want to disturb her parents with her needs. They had a company to run and two extra mouths to feed. Her siblings were a handful. She hoped to get a good job after her service year. She would be able to support her parents and also take care of her siblings. She wanted her parents to eat the fruits of their labour before they began to age drastically.

An hour later, she walked into the school compound and sighted the principal, Mallam Bature, speaking to some of the corpers. Every morning, he stands at the school gate immediately after the assembly and any corper that came late was given a stern lecture about punctuality and discipline.

'Doesn't he ever get tired?' She groaned and joined the others. The school had made no provision for accommodations and monthly stipends for them, yet, they want them to resume work early. That was slavery! According to her anyway.

Promise went straight to the staff room the moment the principal was through with them. She needed to go through her time-table and make some changes. She cannot afford to teach every single day of the week. She needed time to sort out the students' notes, mark their assignments and prepare questions for the mid-term test. Why they asked her to take the students English and Literature was beyond her. Was it because she graduated with a second class upper in Mass Communication?

The staff room was almost empty. She greeted the few teachers around and walked over to her corner. She cleaned her dusty wooden table and chair. She wondered why the capital city was so dusty. She had been told that it was worse during the harmattan season.

"Miss. Daodu, you are looking good this morning."

Promise looked up at the person addressing her. It was one of the male teachers. On her first day, he had assumed that she was a muslim because of her surname. She had to explain to him that her grandfather was a muslim, but her father had converted to Christianity.

"Good morning Mr. Usman," she tried to smile, but it barely reached her dark eyes.

He leaned over her table, "You are looking smart and beautiful," his eyes seemed to glitter. She wondered what was beautiful about her khaki trousers and white tee shirt. Was it the khaki face cap that was deceiving him or the khaki jacket? If he was trying to warm up to her, he came at the wrongest time.

"Thank you," she forced the words out and concentrated on the books she had placed on the table.
"Do you know that I am also an English and Literature teacher in this school?"

She placed a hand on her forehead. She realized that he was bent on conversing with her, regardless of her disinterest.

"Really?"

"Yes, if you have any problems with the students or your lesson notes, I will help you out," he beat his hand on his chest.

"Oh okay, thank you."

He smiled at her, revealing a set of teeth that had gone brown. She blinked in surprise and adjusted her face cap.

"I have to go, I have a class to teach," he waved and walked away. She made a sigh of relief. 'Finally, peace at last!' She said to herself.

Promise returned home that day at about three in the afternoon. She felt as if she had been toasted like bread in the hot afternoon sun. She needed a cold shower and would probably warm the remaining vegetable soup she had kept in the fridge and eat it with pondo yam. Maybe making garri will be faster. She was very hungry.

Sweat broke out all over her when she realized that she had forgotten to take her house key to work that day. She had changed bags and didn't remember to take the key out of the other bag. 'What kind of nonsense is this?' She mused and leaned on the wooden front door. She began to dial her room-mates' numbers one after the other.

One of them told her that she wasn't coming home straight from work. She had a few places to go to. Another told her that she wasn't returning home that day and the third girl told her that she was on her way home but was stuck in traffic.

Promise pulled off her khaki jacket and removed her face cap. Why did she forget to take her key to work? 'What were you thinking about you small girl?' She questioned herself and debated whether to check if any of her neighbours were around.

There were six self contained apartments in the compound, the other five were occupied by a couple with their children, two sets of live-in-lovers, a bachelor, and four male youth corpers.

She decided to sit at the door and prayed that the traffic subsided. She wasn't in the habit of badging in on her neighbours. She would rather remain pleasant from afar than become over-familiar with them. Familiarity always brought contempt. Thirty minutes later, Kabira Danyaro walked up to dozing Promise.

"Sleeping beauty."

She opened her eyes.

"Why did you forget your key?"

Promise got up, yawned and stretched. Kabira unlocked the door and they went in.

"I changed bags and forgot to take the house key."

Kabira shook her head and went straight to the kitchen. Promise sat on the bed and untied the ropes of her boots. She wondered if she should eat first and take her bath later.

"Are you the one who kept this vegetable here?" Her voice flowed into the room.

"Don't touch that soup! That is my lunch," she joined her room-mate in the kitchen.

"We will share it."

"Ah!"

Kabira eyed her, "You made me come home, I was planning to buy some things in the market."

Promise groaned and opened the plate, "Look, see, the soup is small."

Kabira collected the frozen plate from her, "We will add water."

Her room-mate hissed.

"Please make garri, be a nice girl."

Promised eyed her. This was one of the challenges of living with someone.

"We will share the chilled can malt in my bag."

She brightened and plugged water, while her room-mate started to warm the soup. Sharing her lunch didn't seem like a bad idea anymore. A can of chilled malt in the afternoon heat would soothe her nerves. At least, her day seemed to be winding up well, regardless of the torturous start.

'Lord, I thank you. Today is really a day you have made. I sincerely rejoice,' she conversed with her maker with a smile pasted on her lips.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Ijeoma Oluo's "So You Want To Talk About Race" Is New York Number 1 Bestseller / The Corridor of Hell / Tales Of Abigail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.