Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (68399 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / Fictional Story - Broken By Dharmie Lisa (@dharmielisa) / Road To Fame (A Fictional Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Emeralddan(f): 10:48pm On May 12, 2013
Weldone o aunty serah *scratches head* ehn when is the next update coming ma
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 1:43am On May 14, 2013
oyestephen: With time, kenshiro will be history..................that's if this story doesn't get more twisted
yes dont get it twisted love is a beautiful thing!ghen ghen its tovot again! @bukkydan if i catch you!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 14, 2013
Tovot: yes dont get it twisted love is a beautiful thing!ghen ghen its tovot again! @bukkydan if i catch you!
u wan catch bukkydan, owkay but u av 2 catch me first. grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by clockwise(m): 1:03pm On May 14, 2013
Whao i have to confess ur writing is so so superb, cant wait for the nxt update. thumbs up aunty sherah.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 15, 2013
@Everyone... Thanks! I appreciate you all. The next update will be posted this week. Please stay tuned *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 7:58am On May 16, 2013
Damex333: u wan catch bukkydan, owkay but u av 2 catch me first. grin
grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 9:01am On May 16, 2013
@Op
Do mind you critique?
Your story has a number of parts where the verb tenses are wrong e.g leaved instead of left.
I think to make it richer u could provide more detail such as the fact that promise is a corps member yet very little in the story shows that. For instance no reference to her CD day or even how she left her place of primary assignment without any formal due process and just continued from Lagos. Even if its sick leave its secretariat that will release her not a company.
There was also a reference to Jos then its Lagos, where exactly does Promise live? I was a little confused.
Its a bit too simplistic for her and Gbenga to suddenly be attracted to each other.
Lastly there is no reference to passage of time apart from christmas no other months are talked about so we don't when she started service or ended or even how long the affair was, we can only presume.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by clockwise(m): 9:34am On May 16, 2013
@ salsera, y must u people complain or critise? are u telling me u dnt understand the story even if all what u mentioned are nt present in it. ppa ko ACN ni. mtchewww. salsera also try to re-modify ur post. it is full of grammatical blunder. winks
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 9:59am On May 16, 2013
@salsera... Thanks.

@clockwise... *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 16, 2013
Those things salsera said are not actually bad, they are to make our dear aunty serah a better writer. So no cause am clockwise.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Xtranoble: 7:02pm On May 19, 2013
I so much love your write up Sera.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 12:12am On May 20, 2013
@Xtranoble... Thaaannnkkksss! I appreciate.

@Everyone... Sorry I couldn't post any update this weekend. My son turned into Superman overnight. It's being a busy weekend. I will post soonest. Thanks for your patience *Hugs*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 1:08am On May 20, 2013
Turned superman as in? U can fill ur nl family in d detail grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:01am On May 20, 2013
@Damex... Hahahahahahahahaha

He flies, jumps... He is everywhere... Lol

He is clocking one year on Sunday *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Obinnau(m): 10:04am On May 20, 2013
Aunty serah we are waiting for the next update o!
Hey guys nominate me for the mr NL contest here-
www.nairaland.com/1296123/mr-nairaland-
june-2013-contest/1#1296123.55
Just type " I nominate obinnau, www.nairaland.com/
obinnau " Thanks one love!!!!!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 20, 2013
Remembering something i saw on facebook.

Does ur son wants something from your nl family or only d facebook family? grin grin grin
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 20, 2013
serahsadeiyare: @Damex... Hahahahahahahahaha

wooooooooow,ur son s my bufdai mate,wishing hm long life n prosperity in advance*muah to hm*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 10:08pm On May 20, 2013
serahsadeiyare: @Damex... Hahahahahahahahaha

happy birthday in advance to him smiley smiley cheesy
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 23, 2013
@All... Been having a challenge posting. Hopefully it is sorted now.

All u who wished my son happy birthday in advance, thanks!

Updates loading *winks*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 25, 2013
As Deep As The Sea 15

She got out of the white 2004 Toyota Camry, clad in a navy blue skirt suit. Her black laptop bag was strapped on one shoulder while she held her navy blue hand bag on the other hand. She locked the car and matched into the two storey building with an air of confidnece.

It was the end of another week in February and she was looking forward to a restful weekend. Her week had been busy; her work schedule had almost spilled over into her weekend, but she had made a decision a long time ago not to allow her work to take over her weekends. Those were the only days she had to recuperate and volunteer in church activities.

On her way to her office, she overheard a group of staff members deliberating on what gift they would get for Gbenga Lewis who was celebrating his thirtieth birthday that weekend. She erased the information from her mind, she doesn't want to know anything about someone she was trying to give a wide berth.

A smile crossed her lips when she saw Shalewa and Nkiruka coming towards her. Shalewa was her father's personal assistant and Nkiruka worked with her mother. The ladies were both single, they were probably in their late twenties if she wasn't mistaken.

"Good morning ma," they both choroused.

"Good morning pretty ladies."

They both chuckled.

"I believe you are looking forward to a jolly weekend."

"Yes we are."

"Mr. Lewis' birthday party is this Saturday," Nkiruka injected.

"Really?" She groaned.

"Yes, he rarely celebrates his birthday, but, he is clocking thirty tomorrow."

"It is worth celebrating," Shalewa chimed.

Promise nodded in agreement, "Yes, it is. Later ladies," she hurried away, hoping that, that would be the last time someone would mention Gbenga's birthday party that day.

'What's with people and parties?' She muttered to herself.

The loud bangs on her bedroom door drew her out of her afternoon nap. She groaned and pulled herself up.

'Who is that?! Why can't I get peace of mind in my own house? I might as well start looking for my own apartment. Assuming I was working in an international communications company, I would have...' Her thoughts trailed off when the bangs got louder.

"Hold on!" She marched towards the door, "Don't break my door."

She unlock the door and opened it slightly. Her mother stood at the doorway, hands akimbo.

"What were you doing in there? I have been knocking for over an hour."

Promise rolled her eyes and stifled a yawn. Her mother was the Queen when it came to exaggerating things.

"Where you sleeping?" Her voice softened when she noticed her daughter's tired eyes.

She nodded and closed the door.

"What is wrong with this girl?!" Her mother started to knock again.

She stamped her feet on the tiled floor several times in annoyance. 'What does this woman want from me? Oh God!' She mused.

"Open this door this minute before I kick it down," Her mother's voice streamed into the room loud and clear.

Promise turned the doorknob and opened the door half-way.

"What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing mum. Mum I need to rest, what is it?"

Blessing eyed her daughter. What was wrong with her daughter? Why was she at home sleeping while her mates were out there enjoying their weekend? She had noticed little changes in her daughter's character and attitude towards certain things since she returned from Abuja over three months ago. She would give anything to know what was going on her mind. How she wished she would confide in her.

Promised frowned when she noticed her mother's lost look. What was she thinking about?

"Mum! Hello! Is anybody home?"

Blessing blinked and refocused on her, "Your father and I need you to deliver a birthday gift."

Her frown deepened, "When did I become FedEx?"

Blessing eyed her again, "We would have sent your siblings but you know that they have returned to school."

Promise shrugged she wasn't going anywhere. She wasn't a courier service.

"It's Gbenga Lewis's birthday. We need you to attend his party and give him our gift. He is a good and reliable worker," she smiled.

Her heart took a giant leap the moment she heard his name. Promise began to shake her head.

"What now?"

"Can't it wait till Monday?"

She began to feel irritated by her daughter's attitude, "Look here young woman. You are taking this gift to his party and that is final!"

She folded her hands across her chest, "With due respect mum, I cannot go. I am tired and I need to sleep. Why don't you call your personal assistant? I believe she will gladly deliver the gift."

She looked at her in shock. Something was definitely wrong with her daughter.

"Mum, please," Promise stepped back into her room and shut the door.

Her jaw dropped in amazement. Where was her husband?

"Osagie! Osagie! Come and see your daughter," Blessing went in search of her husband.

Promise laid on her bed but she couldn't sleep. If her mother reported her to her dad, he would call her and probably cajole her into attending Gbenga's party in order to deliver their gift. She doesn't want to see him. She doesn't want to have anything to do with him. How was she going to explain to her parents that the real reason why she doesn't want to deliver their gift was because she was attracted to the Accountant?

She sprang up. She had to leave the house. She wasn't going anywhere near Gbenga's house.

Promise tiptoed towards the front door. Her parents were seated in the sitting room watching the television. She hoped to leave the house without alerting them. But, the moment she opened the door, her mother turned her head and saw her.

"Where do you think you are going?"

Promise closed her eyes. 'Oh God!'

"Sleeping beauty," her father approached her carrying a wrapped gift.

She opened her eyes and refused to look at him.

"Please baby girl. Do this for your helpless parents."

"Why are you begging her? She has grown wings. You should have been there when she was talking to me as if... "

"Blessing," his voice cut her short. She hissed and returned her attention to the television screen.

He faced his daughter, "Baby please."

Promise eyed her dad and collected the gift.

"His address is in the brown envelop and some cash too for the road."

Her face lit with a smile.

"You are bribing her with money," Blessing hissed again, "You are the one spoiling these children."

"Run along and don't come home late."

"All right dad," she gave him a peck on the cheek and left.

"She bribed you too with a peck," Blessing clapped her hands, "Wonders shall never end in this house."

Osagie locked the front door and joined his wife on the settee.

"They are adults now love. We can't keep treating them like children."

"Really? In our days... "

"Exactly! That was in our days, the generation of today, we need to be very careful."

"Hmm... " She sighed and decided to stop arguing. Her husband was probably right. Nevertheless, her daughter had never spoken to her like that before. She needed to get to the root of the matter.

Did Promise have anything against Gbenga Lewis? The mere mention of his name seemed to bring out the worst in her. She would watch both of them closely henceforth. Something might be cooking, whether good or bad, she would find out.

Promise checked out the address her father had written out. Gbenga lived at Dolphin Estate. It wasn't far from her area. Where did he get the money to rent an apartment in such an expensive place? Her parent's company paid their staff handsomely, but, living in Dolphin Estate with that kind of salary was financially suicidal.

She decided to deliver the gift and visit the Silverbird Cinema to watch a movie. That was the best plan she could come up with. She wasn't into visiting friends. Aside Kabira who lived in Abuja with her husband, she had no close friend. The few people she tagged as friends were just girls she attended the same High school or University with. Nothing special. She wasn't really close to anyone in church either.

She located the house. It was a duplex and she could hear the music blasting within the compound. She checked the brown envelop again and found his phone number. She picked up her blackberry phone and dialed it. It rang for a very long time. She decided to send him a text message.

A few minutes later, someone opened the brown gate and stepped out. Promise got out of the car with the gift. Her breath caught in her throat when she saw Gbenga clad in a pair of blue jeans with a fitted black tee shirt.

'Lord God Almighty! Why did you create fair in complexion guys?'

He approached her and sized her up. Her slim figure was cradled in a pink short sleeve blouse, complimented with a white three quarter pant. He tried not to smile, but he couldn't help it. She looked beautiful.

"Hi."

She stilled her emotions and cleared her throat, "My parents wanted you to have this," she lifted the gift.

His smile faded, "Please extend my gratitude," he collected the gift from her.

"Happy Birthday."

He raised his brow in surprise, "Thanks, why don't you come in?"

She shook her head, "No, thanks. I have to go."

He tried not to look disappointed.

"Em... Nice house."

He glanced back at the building, "I inherited it from my father."

"Oh!" It was good to know that he wasn't living above his means as she had thought.

"He is late."

"Oh... I am sorry."

He shrugged.

She began to play with her car keys. She wanted to leave but her legs stood rooted to the ground.

"Are you sure you don't want to come in?" He noticed her reluctance to leave.

She lifted her eyes and met his watchful ones.

Gbenga realized that he might have judged his boss' first daughter wrongly. He had always thought she was arrogant and puffed up, but, it seemed that, that wasn't the case. He had seen the way she related with other people, and he thought she was deliberately picking on him by been unapproachable. He couldn't deny the fact that he was attracted to her and at the moment, he had a nagging feeling that she also felt the same way.

She tore her eyes away and found the strength to walk back to the car. She needed to leave, she had lost her composure completely. She unlocked it and mumbled something that sounds like 'See you on Monday'.

He felt a slight pain across his chest when he realized that she was leaving. He hurried towards her and held the door of the car before she could close it.

Her astonished gaze met his pleading ones.

"I want you to stay."

She swallowed hard and tightened her grip on the car key.

"Please."

She looked away and took a deep breath.

'Promise, I hope you know what you are doing.'

She got out of the car and locked it.

"Thank you. Welcome to my humble home."

She chuckled and followed him into the house.

'Lord God, over to you.'

1 Like

Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by oyestephen(m): 10:17pm On May 25, 2013
Finally updated...mummy blessing calm down o....gbenga tom vs promise jerry
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by goldwaters(f): 10:45pm On May 26, 2013
Happy birthday to your baby! I wish him God's many blessings.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Tovot: 11:55pm On May 26, 2013
happy birthday Paul,GOD bless you smiley
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 27, 2013
@goldwaters, @Tovot... Thannnnkkkksssssss! I appreciate.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by glowingscenes(f): 6:20pm On May 27, 2013
Wondeeeeeeeeeerful story!!!!!!sarah, just tot I shd drop by and u got me hooked!!!!!!!
This is. Beautiful as I appreciate good and godly writers who pass d mesg of obeying God above everything else..
Well done..
I write too and I currently blog here
www.glowingscenes.
Though I post some of my series on naira land too and I understand ur whole blogging weekly motto...d stress and all
Happy birthdaay to ur superman son!!!hehehe
I also want to ask u to correct some of ur tenses like the 'doesn't' part since it doesn't correlate with the past tense sentences u construct it with
Bt all d same ma'am, ure wonderful..I gv it to u
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 27, 2013
Happy birthday 2 paul,d superman. Wishing him long life, gud health and confirm properity.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 10:36am On May 28, 2013
@glowingscences.... Thanks a billion! *Hugs* am off to ur blog *winks*

@Damex333... Amen! Thanks *Hugs*
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by ameenahz(f): 12:58pm On May 28, 2013
Madam Serah, i think you should check this page out. I hope you gave permission for your work to be reposted.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=646875595327424&id=313147372033583&set=a.314966258518361.92979.313147372033583&refid=17
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 28, 2013
@ameenahz... Thanks darling! I appreciate you.

@everybody... Pls let's go to the page below and do Aluta ooooo. The page owner changed 'Razor Tongue' title to 'Spitfire'. Can u imagine? This is one of my stories.

Thank you for your cooperation *hugs*

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=646875595327424&id=313147372033583&set=a.314966258518361.92979.313147372033583&refid=17
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by ameenahz(f): 6:30pm On May 28, 2013
Madam Serah, you are welcome. And please ignore the people running their mouth. That is what happens when the social media becones saturated with semi literates who do not even know what rights, duties and responsibilities are.

Buh, seriously, although i understand how hurt you were, you should have voiced your opinion in a better way than that. It MAY not have attracted harsh comments like that. Maybe you should do a little editing.
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by ameenahz(f): 6:50pm On May 28, 2013
@Evry1, madam serah needs your support now. Please follow the link and protest against plagiarism!
Re: As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story by ameenahz(f): 9:30pm On May 28, 2013
Madam serah! Where are you o? Dont turn me into the fly that followed the corpse to the grave o! Go there and defend yourself! I am loosing o! Evry1 help pls.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Ijeoma Oluo's "So You Want To Talk About Race" Is New York Number 1 Bestseller / The Corridor of Hell / Tales Of Abigail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.