Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His (3067 Views)

18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? / Woman Gave Birth To Twins After 16 Years Of Marriage (photo) / Nigerian Young Man Finds Love In The Arms Of White Grandma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by webaplanet(m): 4:17pm On Feb 10, 2013
A man was devastated when he found out that three of his four children are not his.

The man in Montreal, Canada, had been married for 16 years to the same woman.
The couple, had four children ages 16, 14 and 12, who are girls along with a boy of nine-years-old.

The couple separated in 2010. While going through the divorce and custody issues, the man found out that he was not the father of his three daughters, although their son is his.

Even more bizarre: all three girls have different fathers.

But the worst yet to come, even after learning that the kids who he loved and raised as his own were not his, the judge ordered him to pay his former wife child support for all the children.

Since he is the only father the children have known and he raised them as his own, he is responsible as if he was the father.

In another case, a man named, Pasqualino Cornelio, was paying child support for his twins, but he later demanded DNA testing. When he found out that he was not the father of the twins, now 16, the judge ordered that he has to continue paying child support.

http://www.yourjewishnews.com/2013/02/w6592.html
Read More at http://tonykempis com

Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by bizz(m): 4:24pm On Feb 10, 2013
WTF .......well he just has to help she
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by juman(m): 5:02pm On Feb 10, 2013
The judgment is crazy. To take care of other people children unwillingly!
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 10, 2013
Wow, what manner of crazy judgements are these?
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by aadetoyin(f): 9:35pm On Feb 10, 2013
Child SUPPORT fun omo ale. This oyinbo people sef.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by EfemenaXY: 10:32pm On Feb 10, 2013
Actually, I see nothing with the judges decisions.

Afterall, those children didn't ask to be born, neither should they be punished for the sins of their mother(s).

The fact still remains that they need to be looked after. Yes, it is hurtful being in the men's shoes, but pride shouldn't come into it. The kids are innocent and are the victims here.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Nobody: 2:49am On Feb 11, 2013
I dunno how it is there but here if you sign the birth certificate then you are responsible.. so Im guessing that may be why the judge had that decision.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by greatgod2012(f): 2:51am On Feb 11, 2013
What a world!
Chai!
Some pple can be wicked sha!
Chai, i pity that man o!
Psychologically, that woman has killed that man.
Oh! Pity, pity, pity.
When two elephants fight, d grass suffers for it, the grass here are d innocent children........... Oops, my concern for them, even with court judgement, thing can never be d same again..........positively.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Ivynwa(f): 6:27am On Feb 11, 2013
bizz: WTF .......well he just has to help she

Boy, you must be a trini resident or something. Only Trinis use "she" for "her'. Lol
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by OCcool: 7:56am On Feb 11, 2013
Efemena_xy: Actually, I see nothing with the judges decisions.

Afterall, those children didn't ask to be born, neither should they be punished for the sins of their mother(s).

The fact still remains that they need to be looked after. Yes, it is hurtful being in the men's shoes, but pride shouldn't come into it. The kids are innocent and are the victims here.
Gbam!! U re so on point
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by slimyem: 8:15am On Feb 11, 2013
hehe!
...woman beating men at their own game...cheesy
Men cheat and think they can get away with it....women cheat and bring the men bastards as souvenir..and the judges say they can't do jack about it except accept responsibility..grincheesy
Sweeeeet judgement..cool
When will it start to apply in Africa/Nigeria? cool
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by eagleeye2: 11:15am On Feb 11, 2013
slimyem: hehe!
...woman beating men at their own game.

keep dreaming. Even if such were to happen here, I trust Naija men to find a way to twert it.

@op, if I were those men, I will rather face jail terms than keep doling out my hard earned to a cheap wh,ore who couldn't keep her legs closed.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 11, 2013
Men cheat and think they can get away with it....women cheat and bring the men bastards as souvenir..and the judges say they can't do jack about it except accept responsibility..grincheesy
Sweeeeet judgement..cool

Lol! grin grin

But what if this husband was one of the good ones?

I wonder if the guys did something to piss of the judges sha. Because I don't really know why the woman can't seek child support from the biological fathers of the children instead of the man she deceived for over a decade and a half! I guess it's also possible that the man still wanted to be in the kids lives (rightfully so) and maybe he was asking for custody or visitation. Not a lawyer but I wonder if in that case, you can't separate the two. You can't ask for visitation/custody as if they are your kids and then decline to pay their child support in the same breath.

Or could this be another case of the guys not lawyering up. Just like the other thread about the man abandoning the children, the foolish man did not bother lawyering up to fight his cause, meanwhile the woman used to law to her full advantage and now his eye is chooking!
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Moyola(f): 5:59pm On Feb 11, 2013
Well . . .
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by dayokanu(m): 6:16pm On Feb 11, 2013

The kids didnt ask to be born so why should someone else be made to bear the brunt of another persons decision

Efe does it make sense for a judge to compel you to pay for someone elses child? A child you had nothing to do with their conception
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by EfemenaXY: 8:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
dayokanu:

The kids didnt ask to be born so why should someone else be made to bear the brunt of another persons decision

Efe does it make sense for a judge to compel you to pay for someone elses child? A child you had nothing to do with their conception

Of course what the woman did was morally wrong and I daresay heartless. But that's not the issue here.

The judges decisions were made based on what they perceived to be in the best interest of the children. That's what really counts here.

Factor that in with the points raised by ile regarding the man's visitation rights/being part of their lives, and I think you got some pretty solid reasons for backing the judges decisions.

Besides, it easier said than done - to cut off all ties with kids you've nutured and raised for years at the drop of a heart. Don't forget also that the betrayed man/men is/are the only father those kids have ever known.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by eagleeye2: 8:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Of course what the woman did was morally wrong and I daresay heartless. But that's not the issue here.

The judges decisions were made based on what they perceived to be in the best interest of the children. That's what really counts here.

Factor that in with the points raised by ile regarding the man's visitation rights/being part of their lives, and I think you got some pretty solid reasons for backing the judges decisions.

Besides, it easier said than done - to cut off all ties with kids you've nutured and raised for years at the drop of a heart. Don't forget also that the betrayed man/men is/are the only father those kids have ever known.

that judgement can only be fair, if the man/men were given custody of the kids and the woman/women cut off totally.
God forbid, but if it were me, I would face court contempt and risk jail than to pay child support for such a judgement.
It would have been better if the man/men were given an option to choose if they will want to keep supporting the kids voluntarily.
The man was as much a victim as the kids.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by EfemenaXY: 8:39pm On Feb 11, 2013
^^ You do have a point there, especially with your last statement. But the judges here are only concerned about the well being of the children caught in the middle of these ugly scenarios.

Yes, it's a highly emotional situation to get caught in but at the end of the day, facts need to seperated from emotions. It's wrong to use the children as a means of punishing the woman.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by dayokanu(m): 8:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ You do have a point there, especially with your last statement. But the judges here are only concerned about the well being of the children caught in the middle of these ugly scenarios.

Yes, it's a highly emotional situation to get caught in but at the end of the day, facts need to seperated from emotions. It's wrong to use the children as a means of punishing the woman.

So asking you to pay for what you didnt contribute to is what?

Let the mother go and find the biological fathers of the kids and hold them responsible.

I asked would it make sense for you to be compelled to pay for someone elses child ? Because they are going through ugly scenarios You should be compelled to pay for someone else responsibility

1 Like

Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by EfemenaXY: 9:01pm On Feb 11, 2013
^^ I'm not going to get into an emotional argument here with you.

When you have kids, you'll understand that you can't just cut off all ties with them, just because you're peeved with the mother.

Anyway, let's leave it at that. We'll agree to disagree on this one. smiley
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by dayokanu(m): 9:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ I'm not going to get into an emotional argument here with you.

When you have kids, you'll understand that you can't just cut off all ties with them, just because you're peeved with the mother.

Anyway, let's leave it at that. We'll agree to disagree on this one. smiley

But he was not the one who has the kids or how can you pin someone elses kids on another person.

Its like sending you to jail for another persons crime
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by SisiKill1: 9:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
Legally, the judge did nothing wrong. . .it is automatically assumed that the man is the father because the child was born "In Wedlock". How can a child be a Basterd when his momma is married??!! lipsrsealed

Is it unfair. . .ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT but you gotta remember, these laws were made when people believed women don't cheat. The archaic laws haven't caught up with "modern" days. cheesy cheesy

If the woman had any heart, she will absolve the man of the responsibilities for those kids who aren't his. On the emotional side. . .it's gonna be tough just disconnecting like that. Is it even possible to do that...stop loving those kids?!
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Nobody: 9:13pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Legally, the judge did nothing wrong. . .it is automatically assumed that the man is the father because the child was born "In Wedlock". How can a child be a Basterd when his momma is married??!! lipsrsealed

I totally get how a child is automatically assumed to be the child of their married parents. But wouldn't DNA evidence to the contrary trump this? If this guy at the point he found out they were not his kids immediately said he wanted nothing to do with them or their mother, would he still be forced to pay child support? I'm just curious to know from the standpoint of the law.

On the emotional side. . .it's gonna be tough just disconnecting like that. Is it even possible to do that...stop loving those kids?!

I suspect this to be a factor in the decision. But is the man legally protected from the biological fathers coming to claim their children at some point?

dayokanu:
Let the mother go and find the biological fathers of the kids and hold them responsible.

I support this. The husband can still voluntarily contribute to their lives but to me, ideally, he should not be paying child support unless he deliberately did everything possible to ensure the judge could only come to the decision of making him pay child support.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by dayokanu(m): 9:19pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sisi_Kill: If the woman had any heart, she will absolve the man of the responsibilities for those kids who aren't his. On the emotional side. . .it's gonna be tough just disconnecting like that. Is it even possible to do that...stop loving those kids?!

Yes Somethings can happen that can make that love stop

https://www.nairaland.com/1172475/mouth-swab-method-testing-dna#13976582

Read from this thread and see a typical mans reaction. The moment I find out the kids are not mine, I would want nothing to do with them again simple never mind being FORCED. Like I said its like doing time for a crime you didnt commit
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by slimyem: 10:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
eagle,eye:

keep dreaming. Even if such were to happen here, I trust Naija men to find a way to twert it.

ileobatojo:

Lol! grin grin

But what if this husband was one of the good ones?

I wonder if the guys did something to piss of the judges sha. Because I don't really know why the woman can't seek child support from the biological fathers of the children instead of the man she deceived for over a decade and a half! I guess it's also possible that the man still wanted to be in the kids lives (rightfully so) and maybe he was asking for custody or visitation. Not a lawyer but I wonder if in that case, you can't separate the two. You can't ask for visitation/custody as if they are your kids and then decline to pay their child support in the same breath.

Or could this be another case of the guys not lawyering up. Just like the other thread about the man abandoning the children, the foolish man did not bother lawyering up to fight his cause, meanwhile the woman used to law to her full advantage and now his eye is chooking!
lol.
That was just me being purposefully biased...grin
..anything to smile at a man's misfortune in cases such as this...cheesy
I think the judgement is unfair too.
No one should be forced to commit to such unpalatable situations.
Its like rubbing salt to one's injury.
Can't imagine how bitter it'd be for those men,
It should be strictly a matter of choice for them to take responsibility or not for the kids,
I guess they could go back to court and contest the rule if they wanted to though..undecided
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by SisiKill1: 10:12pm On Feb 11, 2013
ileobatojo:

I totally get how a child is automatically assumed to be the child of their married parents. But wouldn't DNA evidence to the contrary trump this? If this guy at the point he found out they were not his kids immediately said he wanted nothing to do with them or their mother, would he still be forced to pay child support? I'm just curious to know from the standpoint of the law.

I suppose in this case, he might have some room to wiggle out of paying child support because the law holding him accountable today is based on the fact that he acted like a parent and made them rely on him all these years, so he can't just stop now. Their mother's deceit is not their fault and they shouldn't be made to suffer from it.

There is a a bit of a catch 22 thingy going on here because the courts takes the fact that he didn't do a DNA test as acceptance of responsibility for the kids as THEIR FATHER.. . In the eyes of the law, that is an established fact.

Ideally, deception automatically nullifies an agreement but it doesn't here because the children also have rights, one of which is the right to continue to live in a lifestyle they were made accustomed to by the man providing for them, something he did only because he thought they were his in the first place (Do you feel a headache coming on? cheesy).

If he wants to sue his ex for fraud, fine go for it....that's between them because he had a reasonable expectation that the children borne to them while they were married should be his but as far as the kiddies go...he gats to pony up!!

Of course there are some cases where people have fought and won some measure of reprieve but those are really, really few and far between. When it comes to the Family Law. . .The Child(ren)'s best interests always comes first

I suspect this to be a factor in the decision. But is the man legally protected from the biological fathers coming to claim their children at some point?

Yes he is!! In the eyes of the law, he is their father and the only way their biological daddy can claim anything is if he decides to legally give up all rights to those kids.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by SisiKill1: 10:13pm On Feb 11, 2013
dayokanu:

Yes Somethings can happen that can make that love stop

https://www.nairaland.com/1172475/mouth-swab-method-testing-dna#13976582

Read from this thread and see a typical mans reaction. The moment I find out the kids are not mine, I would want nothing to do with them again simple never mind being FORCED. Like I said its like doing time for a crime you didnt commit

Men are cold!!! undecided
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by DukeNija(m): 10:44pm On Feb 11, 2013
Sweeeeet judgement..cool

The Only thing worse than a MUMU, is a Hurt-Bitter MUMU. SMH
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by donchris999: 8:09am On Feb 12, 2013
God forbid bad thing. I can never marry a woman like you. You always create a wrong impression of yourself and make people to confirm that those that vilify you here are right. Are you indirectly encouraging women to get kids(bastards) for their husbands and should be made to train those kids by the court for no just cause. What happened to adultery? What about the deceit of the man training another men's kids all the years? What happens to the real fathers of those kids? I dont just understand your point about the kids being victims. For Godsake, the mother should take them to their fathers. Me train another man's kid out of my will because of a woman adultery. These poster you really have issues that you need to address. Try re-examine and re-evaluate yourself before it is too late. And a word of advice to you: if truely as being accused of all the time here that you are truely training other men's kid in your husband's house, just do the man a favour and spare him such burden now. Can you imagine? Train another man's kid from an adulterous woman?

Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by EfemenaXY: 8:55am On Feb 12, 2013
^^ Excuse me sir / madam or whatever you might be.

Learn to address people without resorting to insults. This is an online forum where people air their views, and freely to.

Just because my opinions differ to yours doesn't give you the right to get personal with me. I've stated my reasons for why I agree with the judges decisions and others who disagree with me have been civil about it. Not that I owe you any explanations whatsoever.

What gives you the right to get insultive with me? Who do you think you are? You think your rant is gonna bully me into seeing things "your way"? If you really feel that strongly about the judges decisions, why not take your fight to them?

Learn to address people with respect and while your at it, try growing up too!

Thank you.
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 12, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Of course there are some cases where people have fought and won some measure of reprieve but those are really, really few and far between. When it comes to the Family Law. . .The Child(ren)'s best interests always comes first

Wow. The flip side of this is that the woman can't even sue the biological fathers for child support even if she wanted to.

If he wants to sue his ex for fraud, fine go for it....that's between them because he had a reasonable expectation that the children borne to them while they were married should be his

If I were he, I'm already signing agreements in the lawyers office to move forward with this sharply!
Re: After 16 Years Of Marriage Man Finds Out 3 Of His 4 Children Are Not His by dayokanu(m): 7:04pm On Feb 12, 2013
Whats the point of suing for fraud when he is still made to continue paying for the product of fraud??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am I A Bad Child ? / SO HEART-BREAKING: World's Most Tragic Wedding (PHOTOS) / Please I Need Your Candid Advise Can A Marriage Survive Without Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.