Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,454 members, 7,826,740 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? (11290 Views)

Photos Of A Nairalander Cooking Moimoi / How I Made Low Budget Goat Head Bitter Leaf Egusi Soup / Safest Container For Moimoi Healthwise (leaf, Nylon, Tin, Aluminium Cups?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by Gladmama(f): 11:45pm On Feb 10, 2013
Can anyone tell me the name of the leaf used for wraping moimoi. Scientific name if you can. Also the plant it came from. And can it be easily grown? Please give all information you have on this plant/leaf.
Re: What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by zenatta: 1:41pm On Feb 16, 2013
Have always known it to be called 'Banana Leaf'. Its from the Banana plant. Banana Plant I guess grows in the tropics or warm sub-tropic climates. Like the Plantain variety it can be grown easily as long as soil is rich, dark and fertile. You can google to find out what is needed for a good harvest of bananas.
Re: What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by GoodWife: 4:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
It is called Uma leaves in Igbo. Scientific name is Thaumatococcus daniellii.

For all other names of the leaf in various Nigerian languages, check out this post on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=467084353312476

[flash=560,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JfrriTk0QQ[/flash]

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by hazureal(f): 4:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
Its botanical name is Thaumatococcus Danielli.
Source en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaumatococcus
Re: What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 17, 2013
I will do anything for that fresh leaves if I can get it today. sad
Re: What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by Gladmama(f): 9:35am On Jun 28, 2015
Thank you all that replied, your are a gem and God always protect and bless you. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is The Moimoi Leaf Called? by smellingmenses: 2:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
odd you asked a question in 2013 only to acknowledge the responses in 2015 2 freaking years!! shocked shocked

Gladmama:
Thank you all that replied, your are a gem and God always protect and bless you. cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Living Besides Nigeria / You Can Click Here To Add Good Taste To Your Continental Dishes. / Coconut Candy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.