Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,114 members, 7,849,487 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:28 PM

Social Programs In The Usa, Does It Aid Or Hinder People's Progress In Life? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Social Programs In The Usa, Does It Aid Or Hinder People's Progress In Life? (2359 Views)

Nima Elbagir Enters Sambisa Forest With The Aid Of Security Personnel. Photos / Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? / Do U Think People's Complaints Can Aid Or Hurt Government? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Programs In The Usa, Does It Aid Or Hinder People's Progress In Life? by Ndipe(m): 3:05am On May 03, 2006
For some of us residing abroad, what do you think?

Welfare, Section 8, food stamps are social programs in the USA designed to help the less privileged. Most times, people have complained that these programs, rather than aiding the poor has actually tied them to a system, confining them to a cycle of perpetual poverty, instead of uplifting them from these precarious situation. There have been examples to cite the shortcomings of these programs, a reader had written a letter to the editors of a popular black magazine, castigating the politicians for not caring about the welfare of blacks, but creating welfare to prolong their sufferings. During Clinton's era, he embarked on abolishing welfare, introduced job training to the underprivileged with the impression the underprivileged in the society would actually benefit from it. But the USA, despite its eminent status as the wealthiest nation in the world (and the greatest debtor in the world, ironically), is a land of contrast. California, famous for its gold rush and staking a claim as the birth place of computers differs from places like Wyoming and Missisipi where poverty has made a deep impact in the society. So, when some guy published a book, (I glanced through the book though) and he wrote that welfare should not have been abolished with stories of more than several women to prove that, though they benefitted from these programms, eventually, they lost their job and went back to square one. I was at a loss. I do believe that welfare, and other social programs have benefitted some people, yeah, there are people who choose to be stuck in the system, but others may disagree with me. My dear mother on a trip to the USA in the 90's was oing some grocery shopping and she told me that a lady had presented some foodstamps to the cashier and her act was met with scorn from this cashier. Those people are labelled as bums, unfortunately, but sometimes people do not know the circumstances that compels one to subsist on these social programs.

Section 8, unfortunately, has a bad rap too. Street violence is quite common here, and some smart folks, in dire situations have choosen to enrol in school, graduated from school and made a complete transition to a better life in the society. So, I was having this discussion with a friend about another unemployment benefits. My friend told me that even if was as rich as Oprah, and he got laid off, he will be at the unemployment office the following day to get his benefits. Though he said it in jest, I know that if I lost my job today, my broker wont be able to convince me that I have enough money to last for my lifetime, cos I dont. Similarly, another caucasian guy who had lost his job refused to file for unemployment benefits, because he thought it was not necessary. I attributed it to pride, and hmm, in this expensive area, after one year, omo, you gotta do what you have to do. No pride in my game!!!
Re: Social Programs In The Usa, Does It Aid Or Hinder People's Progress In Life? by my2cents(m): 3:46pm On May 03, 2006
As they say, pride cometh before a fall. As they say again, Give a man a fish and he comes back for more, but teach a man how to fish and he won't come back.

I choose to adhere to the latter. I personally feel that for those of us who came from naija, we came for a purpose and as such, aren't the lazy type, looking to obtain government favors. Of course, there are those who really, really need it to which I say, go for it. Then there are those whom I have heard, for example, go to the WIC office, obtain the voucher, buy food, package it in smaller waterproof (that word brings back memories, but I digress grin) bags and send them to Nigeria. To me, that's just plain wrong.

Now, before some of you get your thongs bunched up where the sun doesn't shine grin, let me reiterate - If you really, really need it, go for it. Just don't get it just because you can. Sure, others are bilking the system. 2 wrongs don't make a right though. I just feel that based on where we came from, barring exceptions of course, we have no reason to get government assistance. We have seen the good and bad of life, supposedly. There are too many biz opportunities out there for us to seek government assistance as a first resort. Something as small as driving a cab termporarily (just an example) could help. In the end, drop your degrees folks, and humble yourself, where applicable.

Having said that (just in case I choose to run for prez 20 yrs from now - u know how US politics can be grin), I have been on unemployment. At the time, I just bought my house and hadn't even moved in when I got laid off. Terrible times I gotta say. But I got over it and was back on my feet in no time. I had a choice of taking my last $600 and starting a biz, going for endless interviews where I was told I wasn't a match, or sitting at home and doing nothing. Fortunately, I chose option 2 and I haven't regretted ever since.

I hope this serves as a motivation to someone out there.
Re: Social Programs In The Usa, Does It Aid Or Hinder People's Progress In Life? by nferyn(m): 4:50pm On May 03, 2006
Does the US have social programs? It thought only corporate welfare was prevalent over there grin grin
Anyway, those band-aids for the collective consciousness of the US citizens can hardly be called social programs, they're glorified charity under government control with very little structural effect.
Re: Social Programs In The Usa, Does It Aid Or Hinder People's Progress In Life? by TayoD(m): 5:37pm On May 03, 2006
This is a difficult topic to handle, but having benefitted indirectly from one of such programs (section cool, I have come to the following conclusion.
There is really no problem with the programs introduced by the Government. In fact, I believe Nigeria needs to put such programs to work to help the teeming masses.
The problem I find is the average balck man's mentality (usually black americans). Beacuse many of them feel like they have been victims of the society due to their color, they tend to consider such programs a right. Like Bill Cosby said, the section 8 program was designed for "You to move in, move up and move out".
The black guy here needs to be really educated to rise above mediocrity and to know that there really is dignity in labour. Other immigrants are moving into the US and thier average standard of living is rising higher than the 'sons of the soil' because of this mentality.
In my opinion, people like Rev Jesse Jackson is perpetuating this lifestyle in the black community for political gain. The more the blacks are not doing well, the more voice and standing he gets. His appraoch so far has failed and a new voice like Bill Cosby and speaks the truth is what the black community in the US needs to get out of the social malaise they are now in.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian President Celebrated Yahoozee On Stage With Olu Maintain / Goodluck Jonathan Finally Sworn-in As President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria / What Has Jonathan Achieved So Far In One Year In Power:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.