Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. (13985 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Chris Oyaks Embarks On 40 Days Fasting And Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Okaaay...i see.
i never knew you're a Christian sha tongue
ahahahahaha!! so you thought all that my born again christian yarn was wash? lool tongue tongue

Yep, I am a Christian o. I'm not a religious fanatic though but I do know the ropes and recognize who's the boss.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by BuBBle1(f): 5:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Well,am not catholic,so we don't do penance.
Btw,how does saying copious 'Our father' ,'hail Mary' etc,cleanse ur sin or grant u forgiveness?
IMO sins r forgiven by God and punishments are meted out by him alone. A conscientous mind/person knows when he/she has committed any type of sin.Tho sin no matter the type has its own punishment whether forgiven or not we know nt,but I pray one should be punished and forgiven than not beign forgiven at all for eternity.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
Dextra:
Did you say "There is no god to answer?"
Well, my dear..."The fool has said in his heart there is no God".
I have felt the very existence of God in my life, even as a child I had experiences too. If you seek Him you will definitely find Him. Let me share one experience with you. I went through financial constraint while in post secondary school. I resumed school after paying my school fees with the money I had been saving since I graduated from high school. I resumed with a bag, a bucket and just #60 Naira. Several weeks after that, I didn't have kerosene in my stove to cook and I couldn't go on begging from neighbors. I had always had Faith in God's ability so I was forced to put it to work. For complete 10 days I cooked on a stove without kerosene. i just refuse to open it or acknowledge that it was dry, I just lit it and cook the little I had. Until, my brother sent me some money, I went to the market and bought kerosene. I lit the stove and it died within few seconds. My dear, I don't believe in God based on what I was told or what I have heard but What I know. Though I'm not a Catholic, I remember as a child the encounter I had with the Rosary and I may tell you if you want to hear it.
Just ask God to reveal Himself to You, He will. Seek Him and you shall find Him.
God grant me this kind of faith.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 5:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
k2039: Are you a catholic?.
Definitely a yes, I thought as much.

where have you been? Just dey go on and off like Nepa light
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Oyetboy(m): 5:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
jimino: kip it up, rememba 2 give arms. May God help us 2 come closer 2 HIM. Amen
arms?? Na war u dey fight? cheesy
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
k2039: Are you a catholic?.
Definitely a yes, I thought as much.
lool...I thought you already knew tongue tongue
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
holyvirgin: @op, its good you chose to go on food fasting,I remember when I was younger, my sister used to be a fashion freak and can't go without makeups, so when lent came she chose to focus on God and halt at makeups.
She completed the lent without makeups which was quite difficult but the grace of God abounds.
Back in school,My roommate spends more on recharge cards let say 4 a week he spends as much as 5000, but he actually 'fasted on cards' he spent let say 2000 on cards and 3000 on almsgiving.
As christians we must not neccessarily go on food fasting, sometimes those habits that are crushing us as christians, let's fast on them, ao that after 40days just like christ we may overcome temptations.
Godbless us
My favorite habit is reading.
Are you implying I stop reading?, when in fact I have exams coming up soon.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
ahahahahaha!! so you thought all that my born again christian yarn was wash? lool tongue tongue

Yep, I am a Christian o. I'm not a religious fanatic though but I do know the ropes and recognize who's the boss.
Hmm...then you should be able to recognize that am the boss cheesy
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:45pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Very true...just like the Bible said it.
I asked because it was asserted by a friend,who happens to be Catholic, that once u sin in this period,no mercy.

I have another question...When you are forgiven for committing a particular sin,do u go without being punished?
God forgives sin, but he never saves us from the consequences of oyr actions.

2 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 5:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Hmm...then you should be able to recognize that am the boss cheesy
yes boss!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:49pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Thank u my sister,this is enlightening.
However,if i stop being conscious of sin,wouldn't that make me treat sin with levity?
law of attraction, the more conscious you are the more suspectible you are to sin.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
holyvirgin: @op, its good you chose to go on food fasting,I remember when I was younger, my sister used to be a fashion freak and can't go without makeups, so when lent came she chose to focus on God and halt at makeups.
She completed the lent without makeups which was quite difficult but the grace of God abounds.
Back in school,My roommate spends more on recharge cards let say 4 a week he spends as much as 5000, but he actually 'fasted on cards' he spent let say 2000 on cards and 3000 on almsgiving.
As christians we must not neccessarily go on food fasting, sometimes those habits that are crushing us as christians, let's fast on them, ao that after 40days just like christ we may overcome temptations.
Godbless us
Two years ago, I did it with my facebook. That was when I was still addicted to facebook. I gave it up, all through the lent season, didn't log in to facebook once. Boy, after the lent, my facebook looked strange, notifications from all angles, some people thought I was dead sef..

This year, I'm trying to give up texting...so that I can talk to people on the phone. God help me o...cos I love texting pass facebook.

Maybe next year, I'll give up nairalanding tongue tongue
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
k2039: God forgives sin, but he never saves us from the consequences of oyr actions.
Exactly what i wanted to hear. Consequences is the word. Thanks man.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Well,am not catholic,so we don't do penance.
Btw,how does saying copious 'Our father' ,'hail Mary' etc,cleanse ur sin or grant u forgiveness?
Putting a call through to the Vatican, I will respond soonest.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
omiobo:
yes boss!
Tuale! I salute.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
k2039: law of attraction, the more conscious you are the more suspectible you are to sin.
Très bon.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Hmm...then you should be able to recognize that am the boss cheesy
if I hear, who dash you this babyface boss? grin tongue
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Tuale! I salute.
your head dey dere!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 5:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: Okaaay...i see.
i never knew you're a Christian sha tongue
I'm equally suprised. If only I was given the sole responsibility of choosing the next pope, Itsmodella would have been my choice(first female pope).
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
ahn ahn, I don't get it. Why are you guys surprised? na so I bad reach?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by faboben10: 6:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
I love this! I'v jotted few tns down
More power 2ur elbow
D main goal is heaven
Remain rapturable brethren
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 6:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
k2039: God forgives sin, but he never saves us from the consequences of oyr actions.
i agree not
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 6:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
omiobo:

where have you been? Just dey go on and off like Nepa light
I've been busy roaming through the surface of the earth looking for girls to devour.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 6:03pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
Two years ago, I did it with my facebook. That was when I was still addicted to facebook. I gave it up, all through the lent season, didn't log in to facebook once. Boy, after the lent, my facebook looked strange, notifications from all angles, some people thought I was dead sef..

This year, I'm trying to give up texting...so that I can talk to people on the phone. God help me o...cos I love texting pass facebook.

Maybe next year, I'll give up nairalanding tongue tongue
Giving up nairaland sounds more like it.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by kuljay: 6:03pm On Feb 17, 2013
Well, I accepted 2 fast only WEDs n FRIs frm wenenever I take dinner til 3pm nxt day n must giv alms on dis days, hop its ok? Bt actually 4got n eat meat on ash WED...so disappointed of myself. May d Almighty Father help us. Amen!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella:
if I hear, who dash you this babyface boss? grin tongue
Oh men of little faith,if only you'd look beyond the surface,thou shalt be considered wise. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 17, 2013

You don't ask someone you did not offend for forgiveness,do you? In fact,forgiveness is a virtue an enlightened person must have . He who does not forgive is ignorant.

Therefore, the bible god acts childish and immature. Unless he is not real!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 17, 2013
ItsModella: ahn ahn, I don't get it. Why are you guys surprised? na so I bad reach?
nobody said you're bad. We are just insinuating u've been 'foolish' in some ways tongue
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by omiobo: 6:06pm On Feb 17, 2013
k2039: I've been busy roaming through the surface of the earth looking for girls to devour.
i pray you wont meet Delilah who wil devour you
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by skidos4u(m): 6:06pm On Feb 17, 2013
op tnx so much 4 dis post. lent is my bst period in lif. am on it no shaking. but we mst b careful here coz d devil is already using some NL members 2 write some nonsence on dis trend. pls ignore dem as part of our lent.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by k2039: 6:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
omiobo:
i agree not
Blow off someones head with a gun, leave the traces behing such that it will be obvious you are the one.

Ask God for forgivness afterwards and see if God will save you from facing the law.

Then you can then disagree with my theory.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 17, 2013
binger: nobody said you're bad. We are just insinuating u've been 'foolish' in some ways tongue
say what? in what sense? spill spill..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Revd Michael Olusegun Is The New Methodist Church Archbishop Of Abuja / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. / Pastor Chris Oyakilome's Phone Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.