Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,603 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. (2680 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / Where's Your Car From? Automobile, And Their Origins / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by YOUNGBOss3(m): 11:58am On Feb 17, 2013
I am planning to buy a Toyota Avalon 2003 model next month.However,i have been contemplating whether to buy directly from Cotonou or to pre order it directly from USA through a car dealer.I do not fancy this pre order of thing as i prefer inspecting cars my self before buying.Now the question is,can i be able to get a reliable and clean tittle car from Cotonou.If yes kindly advise on best way to go about it.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by YOUNGBOss3(m): 5:03pm On Feb 17, 2013
Make una help me with positive comments nah.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by achinaboy(m): 7:24pm On Feb 17, 2013
since u are not on this line of biz,there are so many risk on buying from cotonou,although there are so many choices there,just buy from nig,or if you know any car dealer in lagos,u could travel with him to cotonou,and make your choice,then tell him to bring it down to lagos and u will pay him a little extra,
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by YOUNGBOss3(m): 10:16pm On Feb 17, 2013
May I know the risks involve in buying a car fron Cotonou?However,never intended going all alone.More experienced comments.Thank you.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by sparkleboy(m): 12:30am On Feb 18, 2013
i think pre-ordering a car from overseas is your best option, cos some of the cars from cotonou or dealers in nigeria are accident vechicles with vital parts such as car stereo missing, u can contact me as am into the pre-ordering business, u get to see the pics of what u want to buy.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by YOUNGBOss3(m): 6:36am On Feb 18, 2013
sparkleboy: i think pre-ordering a car from overseas is your best option, cos some of the cars from cotonou or dealers in nigeria are accident vechicles with vital parts such as car stereo missing, u can contact me as am into the pre-ordering business, u get to see the pics of what u want to buy.

I opened this thread on 17th,you registered a new user name on 18th.Above is your first ever comment.You hear I wan buy car and you wan chop me grin

11 Likes

Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by YOUNGBOss3(m): 6:43am On Feb 18, 2013
I only need advice from genuine and experienced individuals regarding buying a car from Cotonou or pre ordering from overseas.Thank you
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Marpol: 7:33am On Feb 18, 2013
YoungBo$$1:
I only need advice from genuine and experienced individuals regarding buying a car from Cotonou or pre ordering from overseas.Thank you

I think Cotonu will be the best as you have the choice of seeing the car physically and not thru the lens of a camera. I was shopping for a 2000/2001 Toyota Avalon XLS on pre-order basis and the prices am being given is not what I would want to part with.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by sholasho(m): 11:03am On Feb 18, 2013
@OP,
You have not considered price being the problem so far. Thats why i am opting in.
First, let me make this clear, considering price, pre ordering is about 30% cheaper than cotonou hence the wait till arrival.
As for Cotonou deal, especially for the car you are going for, you are rest assured of getting a great deal without any risk.
You will be paying Custom duties which is the only risk people make complain about.
Let me know what you think about this, I do cotonou deal. We go together you make the right choice we run the vin before you settle.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by sparkleboy(m): 12:56pm On Feb 18, 2013
too bad you feel am a trying to chop you. a friend just told me to give my business of preordering vechicle a boost on nairaland. actually am not a 419 o, call me on 08032241126, for more info.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by ameristu: 1:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
grin
YoungBo$$1:
I am planning to buy a Toyota Avalon 2003 model next month.However,i have been contemplating whether to buy directly from Cotonou or to pre order it directly from USA through a car dealer.I do not fancy this pre order of thing as i prefer inspecting cars my self before buying.Now the question is,can i be able to get a reliable and clean tittle car from Cotonou.If yes kindly advise on best way to go about it.

Chairman, buy ur car from lagos or pre-order it. still don't know why people go to buy cars from cotonou when the same and better cars are available in Lagos. You would save some money on pre-order but you have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks.

The choice is urs, but i think you should rule the option of cotonou out because of price and documentation.

I can do a pre-order for you. Tel: 070 30924817.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by achinaboy(m): 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
YoungBo$$1:
Make una help me with positive comments nah.
guy u expect people to cry for u before u make ur decision?,forget pre order,just make out time and go down to berger in lagos,if u are in lagos,or meet a good car dealer in whereever u live,tell him the type of car you want to buy from cotonou,make out time,go to cotonou with him,pick the car urself,then tell him to bring the car down to whereever u met him,then if his price is 1m for eg,pay him 1.2,thats how many people does it,,,,,or tell me the car u want,then show me something to quaranty that u have the money for the car,then i will send u the car chikena
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by sonety2k(m): 8:04am On Mar 07, 2013
YoungBo$$1:

I. Could pre order the Toyota Avalon 2003 model. For you , directly From the Dealer Auction in USA, in case you might prefer pre order option

Thanks
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Fhemmmy: 2:22am On Mar 10, 2013
I think there are some things you need to consider before you could make a decision:
Are you patient enough to wait for a ride from USA/Canada? If you are, i will suggest a Pre-Order to you - However, please study and understand the Process of pre-order, we have few reliable dealers on NL that could Pre-Order for you . . . Advantage of Pre-Order:
You are sure you are the first owner of the machine in Africa
You are able to choose you color, year, mileage of the ride before purchase
You have time to get the balance ready for the arrival of the ride.
You are sure of what you are buying as you will be able to see the record of the ride before it is bought at all.
You will enjoy the fun of buying and process of shipping till delivered to you in Nigeria . . . . without leaving your PC.

But if you cant wait, please do the Cotonue deal but MAKE SURE it is cleared properly and not driven through the bush, cheap could be costly. . . Happy Hunting.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Osama10(m): 1:08pm On Mar 10, 2013
One question for the Cotonou guys:

When the car lands in cotonou do you do the clearing there and also when bringing the car into Lagos,do you clear it again for the second time?
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by williamsm: 8:47am On Mar 11, 2013
Don't make mistake of ordering a car from abroad,Cotonu u get better cars,most of the cars u buy in lagos are accident sprayed cars,
Just cane back from contonu where I bought two Honda Accord 2007 leather seat for 1.6m for a client,cleaner then the one they offered him 2.6 at berger so u can imagine the price
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Osama10(m): 9:16pm On Mar 11, 2013
^^^^^

Can we see the pix and vin of the 1.6m 2007 Honda accord?

1 Like

Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by femmy2010(m): 8:03am On Mar 12, 2013
We can help you bid for the desired buy option.

Visit the thread below for details.

https://www.nairaland.com/1191051/buying-cars-usa-made-easy
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by chucky234(m): 8:38pm On Mar 12, 2013
Get someone reliable go to Cotonou and get a good car,if you can't find any reliable person to take you down there then let me so I can link you with a friend who lives in Cotonou and bought all his cars in Cotonuo with duty paid.
He is not a car dealer but has a trustworthy dealer inside the Cotonou auto market as he has already bought five different cars from him without any issues including a 2003 C240 and Infiniti FX35,he will not charge you any commissions.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Fhemmmy: 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2013
williamsm: Don't make mistake of ordering a car from abroad,Cotonu u get better cars,most of the cars u buy in lagos are accident sprayed cars,
Just cane back from contonu where I bought two Honda Accord 2007 leather seat for 1.6m for a client,cleaner then the one they offered him 2.6 at berger so u can imagine the price

Like someone said, will be nice to know more about this ride and the docs that comes with it . . .
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by femmy2010(m): 3:43pm On Mar 13, 2013
williamsm: Don't make mistake of ordering a car from abroad,Cotonu u get better cars,most of the cars u buy in lagos are accident sprayed cars,

Buying from "Berger" is different from ordering directly from the US so best to make readers understand this.
I have procured tens of cars from Cotonou for many a nairalander so be sure I am speaking from experience.
Ordering directly(from source) would definitely save you money since the Lebanese in Cotonou equally had to order from the US/Europe(same place we are advising you buy from).
If you compare pricing with that obtainable on the Lagos front then you have a very good case for peeps to buy from Cotonou BUT don't say it is cheaper to buy from Cotonou than Buying from The USA and Europe.

To buy that next desired vehicle from US auction?
Visit the thread below.

https://www.nairaland.com/1191051/buying-cars-usa-made-easy
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by femmy2010(m): 3:49pm On Mar 13, 2013
Osama10: One question for the Cotonou guys:

When the car lands in cotonou do you do the clearing there and also when bringing the car into Lagos,do you clear it again for the second time?

That is exactly how it ought to be done officially but peeps prefer to skip payment of Customs duty on the Nigerian end thus saving money.
The down side of it is that the money thought to have been saved and the whole car could become customs property if hard luck sets in(It could be impounded).
Want to buy a car from Cotonou ?It is good but insist due duty are paid.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by femmy2010(m): 4:02pm On Mar 13, 2013
chucky234: he will not charge you any commissions.

Getting a car in Cotonou involves walking around for hours till you find that preferred buy option SO beware of someone you do not know and willing to help you procure your car for free(No commission)

chucky234: I can link you with a friend who lives in Cotonou and bought all his cars in Cotonou with duty paid.

Since he lives in Cotonou,it would be right for us to assume he didn't come to Nigeria to pay customs duty since he doesn't drive the car in Nigeria(He lives in Cotonou).
So the clause "with duty paid" means ?
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by chucky234(m): 6:04pm On Mar 14, 2013
femmy2010:

Getting a car in Cotonou involves walking around for hours till you find that preferred buy option SO beware of someone you do not know and willing to help you procure your car for free(No commission)

Since he lives in Cotonou,it would be right for us to assume he didn't come to Nigeria to pay customs duty since he doesn't drive the car in Nigeria(He lives in Cotonou).
So the clause "with duty paid" means ?
He paid duties for his five cars as the cars where cleared at custom seme boarder office,he drove to badagry have the cars washed and drove back to Cotonou.He also uses Nigeria plate number on all his cars.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Osama10(m): 8:08pm On Mar 14, 2013
@ femmy2010,

That means more than 90% of the cars coming in to
Naija from Cotonou are with fake custom papers.

Back then there was this v-boot that was brought in from Cotonou for us and any time we travel to other states the Police would always say the customs papers are fake but let's just drop something for them.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by femmy2010(m): 12:00am On Mar 15, 2013
Osama10: @ femmy2010,

That means more than 90% of the cars coming in to
Naija from Cotonou are with fake custom papers.

No sir,it isn't as bad as that.

Osama10: Back then there was this v-boot that was brought in from Cotonou for us and any time we travel to other states the Police would always say the customs papers are fake but let's just drop something for them.

many peeps get cowed by police too but in reality they police aren't suppose to be checking customs papers of a registered car,only the Customs can and should.
If one isn't sure of himself,they would call an "Original" customs paper fake.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by pelepeleb: 4:10pm On Mar 15, 2013
House please which is the best, buying vehicle from Spain and US. interns of cost, neatness, utility in Nigeria (radiator, AC and other aspect).
help me out.
Re: Should I Pre Order A Car From Overseas Or Buy From Cotonou. by Fhemmmy: 4:13pm On Mar 15, 2013
pelepeleb: House please which is the best, buying vehicle from Spain and US. interns of cost, neatness, utility in Nigeria (radiator, AC and other aspect).
help me out.

From USA is better cos of the specifications . . . and how loaded they are, but it is a matter of choice, now in terms of cost and all that, i wont be able to comment on that cos not sure the price and shipping cost from spain.

(1) (Reply)

Peugeot 406 Or Honda End Of Discussion? Which Is Advisable / My Car Is Back Alive, Thanks To Everyone Here! / Spark Plugs Wear Out Quickly (murano) Attention: Ikenna & Co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.