Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... (767 Views)

"..I Didn't Say I'll Bomb Nigeria; I'll Destroy It Completely" - Nnamdi Kanu / One Nnamdi Worked Hard To Form Nigeria; Another Nnamdi Is Working Hard To End It / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by YoshiMaster: 4:14pm On Feb 17, 2013
I am just so distraught, why does the NYSC exist?

I went to ETI-OSA local government and guess what they do there? Nothing, Zilch, Nada, their minds in a state of DORMANCY for ONE WHOLE YEAR (at least with regards to time spent doing NYSC), Myyyy Goodness!!

Do we know how much the eager mind can progress in ONE WHOLE YEAR, how much the eager mind can accomplish?

Some will say "oh, but we helped prepare some waec candidates for exams, and oh, they were so grateful, and oh, and oh, and oh", well I say bullshit!!!

What makes a corper a qualified teacher for CRYING OUT LOUD? WHAT? Oh I'm sorry did the said corper also graduate with a teaching degree?

I mean thats like trying to place a circle in a triangular hole, sad thing is that those who advocate this silly scheme would simply say you should push the circle harder,
untill it enters the triangular hole, which funny enough it might.

I just cant believe we as a people are'nt more revolted by this, I mean people abroad can't come back and work, people here who have job opportunities immediately after school are told "oh, just wait one more year, biko!", like What?

I just don't get it, I could understand if we were a nation under seige and there was a couple months mandatory military training, but this? foster unity crap.

So to summarize, we spend ONE WHOLE YEAR, after a 4-6 year coourse, to FOSTER UNITY, and in some instances, we achieve this goal by DOING NOTHING, as is the case of the local governement.

geez, I have a headache.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by CyberG: 6:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
If you let your headache kill you, it's your loss! How can you complain about nothing to do when you folks voted for president/leaders only on ethnic and religious basis!? Well, fix a good foundation and the superstructure will be sound also but you appear to be placing the cart before the horse! Well, where I am employment numbers are a big deal...national employment numbers, state employment numbers on a monthly basis are published and you will hear for example 147,000 jobs added in September, etc; where do you think that comes from? It all derives from historically good leadership that is trying to always best its previous performance! If the national leadership keeps generating negative employment numbers or so few that the unemployment rate climbs several percentage points, will it still get elected? Well, not here but in Nigeria, no problem for as long as he is from your ethnic tribe or religious circle! Well, that is why you might be unemployed in Nigeria until you start your own small buying and selling business if you have ZERO technical skills!

One more thing: QUIT complaining! I served and lived in the eastern part of Nigeria, a local government like you where there was only 1 computer in the chairman's office...LOL. Of what use is that to a corper like me or others other than to make lemonade from the lemons? Long before I even graduated, it was a problem that was already solved and how glad to go and make my life better rather than complaining? Go and understand the reason why NYSC was created and also understand that it's poorly implementation is due to people not to policy. Some other countries implement similar programs with much success! Go figure!
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by YoshiMaster: 7:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
CyberG: If you let your headache kill you, it's your loss! How can you complain about nothing to do when you folks voted for president/leaders only on ethnic and religious basis!? Well, fix a good foundation and the superstructure will be sound also but you appear to be placing the cart before the horse! Well, where I am employment numbers are a big deal...national employment numbers, state employment numbers on a monthly basis are published and you will hear for example 147,000 jobs added in September, etc; where do you think that comes from? It all derives from historically good leadership that is trying to always best its previous performance! If the national leadership keeps generating negative employment numbers or so few that the unemployment rate climbs several percentage points, will it still get elected? Well, not here but in Nigeria, no problem for as long as he is from your ethnic tribe or religious circle! Well, that is why you might be unemployed in Nigeria until you start your own small buying and selling business if you have ZERO technical skills!

One more thing: QUIT complaining! I served and lived in the eastern part of Nigeria, a local government like you where there was only 1 computer in the chairman's office...LOL. Of what use is that to a corper like me or others other than to make lemonade from the lemons? Long before I even graduated, it was a problem that was already solved and how glad to go and make my life better rather than complaining? Go and understand the reason why NYSC was created and also understand that it's poorly implementation is due to people not to policy. Some other countries implement similar programs with much success! Go figure!

I understand what you are saying, and I to am frustrated with the top leadership and believe that it funnels down to the people.

You say you served, and that Lemonade should be made out of the Lemons we are handed, but why do we need those Lemons handed to us in the first place.

NYSC is the ultimate example of bullshit, why should you be FORCED to serve anything or anyone excluding the military if drafted.

THIS IS A DEMOCRACY! No one should be force to go to a village for one year (some people's equivalent of jail in some other countries) to promote any kind of agenda PERIOD!

Those who have at one point in their lives VOLUNTEERED to VOLUNTEER(do you all not see how weird that phrase sounds) know the fulfillment that can bring, people shouldn't be coerced into volunteering or threatened with no job prospects in an already chaotic employment market, just because they haven't agreed to "volunteer" in a village.

Once in a while, Nigerias issues get to me a little too much that I need to vent, I guess today is just another day.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by YoshiMaster: 10:10pm On Feb 19, 2013
Am I the only one who feels irritated?
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by CyberG: 10:39pm On Feb 19, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Maybe, maybe not but you have to wait for other people's opinion. @Lemon comment, I hope you understand that I am speaking figuratively. For example, your B. Sc degree or whatever would not bring you $1 if you do not translate all your theoretical knowledge into a skill that solves real problem which bring in the dollars! So, asking why be given lemons is like asking why did my parents send me to school, why not just give me the money? Or, an internship student in say a civil engineering firm ask, why do I have to study 3 years of theory before being able to add practical skills and get some stipend from the firm? In Nigeria, if you are planning to complete a degree, then go for service and magically land a job without LOTS of technical skills that immediately raises your employability, average or less than average results (CGPA) that makes you unable to qualify for interviews, average aptitude which means you cannot be outstanding when you finally have a chance to interview say among 100 interviewees, your parents/family do not have family business/political connections, etc; well you sure can not blame NYSC. You should figure the rest out, I don't need to be more explicit.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by kokoA(m): 12:50am On Feb 20, 2013
Irritating..
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by Vado(m): 4:26am On Feb 20, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

No sir, I'm as passionately disgusted with the scheme I swear. It's just a way of the government covering up their inadequacies and inability to provide jobs. Internship is what we should rather have that way everybody can further brush up their skills and acquired knowledge in establishments in line with their discipline but no, our leader live in self-denial and aint ready to do the right thing. The nysc in itself is a corrupt body for some people to amass wealth so they prefer the status quo. They say it's to promote unity but nysc members are endangered species like never before up north and it will only get worse.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by Super1759: 8:10am On Feb 20, 2013
Hmmmmmmm...still watching.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by YoshiMaster: 9:38am On Feb 20, 2013
Vado:

No sir, I'm as passionately disgusted with the scheme I swear. It's just a way of the government covering up their inadequacies and inability to provide jobs. Internship is what we should rather have that way everybody can further brush up their skills and acquired knowledge in establishments in line with their discipline but no, our leader live in self-denial and aint ready to do the right thing. The nysc in itself is a corrupt body for some people to amass wealth so they prefer the status quo. They say it's to promote unity but nysc members are endangered species like never before up north and it will only get worse.

Thank you sir, I have always said internships are the way to go for crying out loud. Let Colleges have Job fairs, and let shell, mobil, etisalat, mtn.... come to campuses to recruit young students (those in final year, or maybe those in second to last year).

I have heard that some people after spending up to 6 years in school have to wait up to 1 year just to get mobilized, that makes me want to cry.

So it is not enough that our leaders waste resources, they also want to waste the valuable time that we the youth have.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by emiye(m): 10:32am On Feb 20, 2013
I believe the NYSC should be scrapped, i am aware that FG spends average of 1.5 million overhead cost on a corper.

Why such waste, in the midst of massive youth unemployment?

We have to place this time bomb issue of unemployment over national unity or whatever crap they claim NYSC stands for.

It should be replaced with a mandatory, 3 months skills development centre , and every one given a take off grant of N500,000. A lot of skills can be learned under 3 months by graduates, entrepreneurs will be made, the wise ones will succeed.
Re: Scrap Nysc Please, Now, Asap, End It, Incinerate It, Destroy It, Burn It....... by YoshiMaster: 12:55pm On Feb 20, 2013
@emiye, your idea is not far fetched, why waste such money on forced slavery, when you can use it to liberate the youth, encouraging them in their passions in life (not forcing them to farm to promote unity).

Below are benefits provided to citizens of Dubai by their government (a government that cares)
Benefits Provided by The Government:

1.UAE Government produces electricity from different sources. The Government of UAE also gives subsidy on electricity. As a result the electricity charges are very low in Dubai as compare to rest of the world.

2.Water & Sewerage system is the sole responsibility of UAE government. There are no water & Sewerage bills in Dubai.

3.Government provides housing facilities to nationals and there are government approved rent rates which are very affordable by the locals.

4.Government gives upto 3 months leaves to all UAE nationals per year which does not include Eid vacations. (1 month normal leave, 1 month leave for study purpose and 1 month for looking after a sick relative)

5.Any citizen living in Dubai working as a middle level manager in the municipality and completes 7+ years in same organization can easily earn a salary of 100 000 DAE per month.

6.Government provides free or cheap land to their citizens to build their own houses.

7.Government also provides financial assistance to their citizens for their marriages.

8.Government also provides assistance to their citizens to start their own businesses.

9.Banks with guarantee from government give loans to UAE citizens at very low interest rates.

10.The government is very protective of its local citizens and will not allow "others" to come in and share the wealth with the locals that "deserve" it. Moreover, it fears that by granting citizenship to foreigners, it may be inviting the possibility to have its cultural values tainted

11.Dubai does not granted nationality to children born in there, thus preventing the stake of the citizens of Dubai from outsider’s interferences. Nationality is granted to those children whos fathers belong to Dubai.

(1) (Reply)

Nairobi Kenya - Ruto Sobs And Cries In Church As He Savours Jubilee Win / Past Atrocities Of Mallam Nasir El-rufai / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.