Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,576 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? (15609 Views)

Can FWD Drift / What Is The Advantage Of A FWD over a RWD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 9:52pm On Feb 18, 2013
FWD vs RWD:

1. Which of them to you is better than the other?

2. Which of the two gives more driving pleasure?

3. Which of them is fun to put stunts on the wheels?

4. Which of the two is more prone to oversteer or understeer?

5. If understeer, which one is more predictable?

The floor is open.

Ikenna.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 18, 2013
None
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 18, 2013
Wud be back...
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 3:49am On Feb 19, 2013
Ikenna351:
FWD vs RWD:

1. Which of them to you is the best?

The floor is open.

Ikenna.

1. I prefer the RWD, all my cars have been RWD
2. RWD gives more driving pleasure
3. No contesting the fact, RWD gives you the ultimate pleasure when stunting....
4. FWD is more prone to understeer, RWD is prone to oversteer...oversteer is better as it can be easily modulated by steering input
5. Oversteer is more predictable. It can be modulated by a good driver. When oversteering, the input to the steering by the driver can be adjusted to keep the car on the tangent...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 4:13am On Feb 19, 2013
nature itself, provides us with the best. Look at the felines, the cheetah and the other cats....the canine family- the dogs and the foxes, the equines- horses, donkeys etc ...their hind limbs were designed by the creator himself to propell them in a race...he never created that much power to the front limbs.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 5:54am On Feb 19, 2013
Ikenna351:
FWD vs RWD:

The floor is open.

Ikenna.

1. Which of them to you is the best? It depends on the intended usage. I prefer rear wheel drive cars for my Southern California commutes. When I lived in Texas and with the occasional snow/ice, I preferred front wheel drive. But the ultimate is all wheel drive. Of course all my race cars are rear wheel drives.

2. Which of the two gives more driving pleasure? The rear wheel drive hands down. Not even the all wheel drives can touch a well balanced rear wheel drive car.

3. Which of them is fun to put stunts on the wheels? I don't understand this question.

4. Which of the two is more prone to oversteer or understeer? Front wheel drives are inherently queens of understeer and for good measure, understeer is safer than oversteer. With a well balanced rear wheel drive like a Miata, you can induce over and under steer just by modulating the gas pedal in corners.

5. If understeer, which one is more predictable? The front wheel drive oen is more predictable since with good tires the car is still trying to pull itself out of the steer.

I have all three in my current stable and if one drives like a gentleman you would be had pressed to notice the differences really. Well until you induce torque steer on the front wheel drives, but that's another thread.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by ziccoit: 6:42am On Feb 19, 2013
I don't have a contribution as I'm a learner. Thanks to Ikenna, Sienna, Trac etc on this section of NL. You people have so made me about automobile that I'm now guru amidst my friends. I can not spin a spanner yet I discuss automobile with a great precision. That is why this section is my only favorite on this forum. Keep up the good work my brothers.

2 Likes

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 7:17am On Feb 19, 2013
For those who dont know what understeer and oversteer means, find the meaning below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer_and_oversteer

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by yungboss(m): 7:22am On Feb 19, 2013
somorin,
i think oversteer is more predictable. For ''nose-heavy'' cars like the Honda Accord, i guess the rate of slip angle will be very unsafe...especially on a wet surface, while the car is steering. The weight of the car is to the fore in a FWD, therefore inertia will cause reluctance to turn into the corner, unlike the RWD, with a rearward weight distribution. This is talking about extreme cases, on the presumption that the throttle is kept constant. My thoughts.

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by universalbets(m): 11:11am On Feb 19, 2013
@yungboss
I quite agree with your comments. Given the prevalence of bad roads and suddenly driving into potholes i will prefer the RWD.

I am not a fan of front wheel drives considering the fact that the average user tends to have to change the drive shaft especially in older jap models.

Recently while driving on the road i have seen an increase in some front wheel vehicles where the right wheel pulled out.(wonder what is causing that??)

The FWD maybe able to pull out of a ditch better that a RWD
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 19, 2013
I'm coming grin
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Scarpon(m): 3:43pm On Feb 19, 2013
me wey never drive b4 how I wan take know. baba god even say n.a. RMD u GIVE ME THIS year all n.a. motor

4 Likes

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by smokieN(m): 3:47pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ikenna351:
FWD vs RWD:

1. Which of them to you is the best?

The floor is open.

Ikenna.

BRB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:55pm On Feb 19, 2013
RWD
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Feb 19, 2013
None, go for a 4WD
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by PBundles(m): 4:07pm On Feb 19, 2013
Somorin#1:

1. Which of them to you is the best? It depends on the intended usage. I prefer rear wheel drive cars for my Southern California commutes. When I lived in Texas and with the occasional snow/ice, I preferred front wheel drive. But the ultimate is all wheel drive. Of course all my race cars are rear wheel drives.

2. Which of the two gives more driving pleasure? The rear wheel drive hands down. Not even the all wheel drives can touch a well balanced rear wheel drive car.

3. Which of them is fun to put stunts on the wheels? I don't understand this question.

4. Which of the two is more prone to oversteer or understeer? Front wheel drives are inherently queens of understeer and for good measure, understeer is safer than oversteer. With a well balanced rear wheel drive like a Miata, you can induce over and under steer just by modulating the gas pedal in corners.

5. If understeer, which one is more predictable? The front wheel drive oen is more predictable since with good tires the car is still trying to pull itself out of the steer.

I have all three in my current stable and if one drives like a gentleman you would be had pressed to notice the differences really. Well until you induce torque steer on the front wheel drives, but that's another thread.

Well said and agree with everything you have said, especially that Id rather have under then over steer. My wifes car had understeer and when it snows and ices, Id rather drive her car then mine that has oversteer. I also feel that I can control it better. You wouldnt think that with Merc E, but its true.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Immune1(m): 4:08pm On Feb 19, 2013
When it comes to achieving and enjoying lower mileage and fuel consumption(comparatively with similar vehicle configuration),FWD is the way to go.But personally I'd go for RWD any day because of better stability and weight distribution.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Ikenna351(m): 4:19pm On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: None, go for a 4WD

4WD or AWD is not part of the discussion. Lets stick to the topic.

Ikenna.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Feb 19, 2013
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Freiburger(m): 4:23pm On Feb 19, 2013
Oga Ike, this your question na wah o, no be condition make crayfish bend? RWD of course.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
Which is better.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by onyeego(m): 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
I still don't understand why auto manufacturers produce cars with FWD undecided
It makes no sense.

There are four wheels in a car; the rear wheels to propel d car while d front wheels to steer it.

When you overload these two important functions on the front wheels, you have created a problem.

Ikenna, for me it's RWD all d way,fasten your seatbelts grin

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Freiburger(m): 4:25pm On Feb 19, 2013
Jarus: Which is better.
RWD period.
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 19, 2013
RWD will more likely be present in cars built for performance. Cars on a FWD system tend to have better fuel economy.

The production costs are lower too. But which is better out of the two depends on the user, IMO

2 Likes

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by KA24DETT(m): 4:42pm On Feb 19, 2013
Billyonaire: None, go for a 4WD
I think u meant AWD, not 4wd . 4WD is meant for trucks and there ain't no driving pleasure in that,.
Full time 4WD is AWD

Baring any environmental factors , Isaac newton already answered this question 200 yrs ago. RWD is better. 2 wheels steer the car and the other 2 power the car. It's the law of physics .
AWD is amazing no doubt but still.
About the snow thing and RWD, having good winter tires mitigates that. In countries like canada, nothing beats AWD. Quattro is the beast, every other system plays second fiddle
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by IleIfe2(m): 4:52pm On Feb 19, 2013
I fly. #Wingwheeldrive grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Blackteeth(m): 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2013
I would say RWD because terrible loadings most times are dropped behind vehicles. A RWD will better handle such loads behind.

1 Like

Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by Policewoman(f): 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2013
It's a 4WD for me. smiley
Re: FWD Vs RWD: Which is Better? by specialguest(f): 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2013
I dont even know what RWD and FWD means... Can someone tell me which tastes better, stew made using a grinding stone or the one made using a blender? Lolzz i guess this is easier to determine compared to the rwd fwd quiz. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mercedes-benz Atego 1725 Firefighting Truck Unveiled In Nigeria (photos) / How To Survive If Your Vehicle Is Sinking Into A River Or Sea / Camry 2.2 Lovers Lounge! Come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.