Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,894 members, 7,810,438 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon (6687 Views)

Boko Haram Kidnap Dozens Of Women, Children In Gulak / Brakeing News Boko Haram Kidnap The Wife Of The Depute PMOf Cameroon / Boko Haram Kidnap 3 Soldiers - AP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by White007(m): 2:38pm On Feb 19, 2013
YAOUNDE/DAKAR (Reuters) - Islamist militants from neighboring Nigeria abducted a French family of seven, including four children, in northern Cameroon on Tuesday, French President Francois Hollande said.

The risk of attacks on French nationals and interests in Africa has risen since France sent forces into Mali last month to help oust Islamist rebels occupying the country's north.

"They (French family) have been taken by a terrorist group that we know and that is in Nigeria," Hollande told reporters during a visit to Greece.

The men on motorcycles, armed with Kalashnikovs, intercepted the family in their car at 0700 GMT and forced them to drive to the nearby Nigerian border, an aide to the governor of the province told Reuters. The four-wheel-drive vehicle was later found abandoned.

Islamist radicals in northern Nigeria now pose the biggest threat to stability in Africa's top oil-producing state.

Western governments are concerned that Nigeria's Boko Haram Islamists may link up with groups elsewhere in a region with poorly secured borders, especially al Qaeda's North African wing AQIM given the conflict in nearby Mali.

The seven French nationals were abducted in Dabanga about 10 km (six miles) from the Nigerian border near the Waza national park, where they had spent the night in the extreme north of Cameroon, an area where Westerners often go for holidays.

The parents of the family, which included two boys and two girls as well as another relative, worked for French utility firm GDF Suez.

GDF, which is building a liquefied natural gas project in south Cameroon, confirmed one of its employees and his family had been kidnapped while on holiday.

Cameroon state radio reported that witnesses said the three adults had been separated from the four children and Cameroonian defense forces had been deployed to the area.

It was the first case of foreigners being seized in the mostly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony.

"I see the hand of Boko Haram in that part of Cameroon. France is in Mali, and it will continue until its mission is completed," Hollande said.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/seven-french-nationals-kidnapped-cameroon-radio-135301048.html?.b=index&.ts=1361320624&.intl=us&.lang=en
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by AfroBlue(m): 6:20pm On Feb 19, 2013
Nigerian "terrorists" nab French tourists in Cameroon: Hollande
By Bate Felix and Jean-Baptiste Vey | Reuter

Reuters/Reuters - France's President Francois Hollande leaves after delivering a speech to celebrate Chinese New Year at the Elysee Palace in Paris, February 18, 2013. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

DAKAR/ATHENS (Reuters) - Gunmen kidnapped seven French nationals, including three children, on Tuesday in northern Cameroon near the border with Nigeria and the perpetrators came from neighboring Nigeria, French President Francois Hollande said.

The risk of attacks on French nationals and interests in Africa has risen since France sent forces into Mali last month to help oust Islamist rebels occupying the country's north.

"They have been taken by a terrorist group that we know and that is in Nigeria," Hollande told reporters during a visit to Greece. Islamist militants in northern Nigeria now pose the biggest threat to stability in Africa's top oil-producing state.

Radio France International had earlier reported the kidnapping, saying that the seven people were taken by armed men on motorbikes and were being taken towards Nigeria.

Western governments have grown concerned that Nigeria's radical Islamists may link up with groups elsewhere in the region, particularly al Qaeda's North African wing AQIM given the conflict in nearby Mali.

The seven tourists were abducted at around 7 a.m. in a village about 10 km (six miles) from the Nigerian border near the Waza national park and Lake Chad in the extreme north of Cameroon where Westerners often go for holidays.

It was the first case of foreigners being seized in the mostly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony.

"I see the hand of (Nigerian militants) Boko Haram in that part of Cameroon. France is in Mali, and it will continue until its mission is completed," Hollande said.

France intervened in Mali last month when Islamist rebels, after hijacking a rebellion by ethnic Tuareg MNLA separatists to seize control of the north in the confusion following a military coup, pushed south towards the capital Bamako.

Eight French citizens are already being held in West Africa's Sahel region by al Qaeda-affiliated groups.

Cameroon Information Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said he could not confirm the kidnapping report for now.

On Sunday, seven foreigners were snatched from the compound of Lebanese construction company Setraco in northern Nigeria's Bauchi state, and al Qaeda-linked Ansaru took responsibility.

Northern Nigeria is increasingly afflicted by attacks and kidnappings by Islamist militants. Ansaru, which rose to prominence only in recent months, has also claimed the abduction in December of a French national who is still missing.

An Ansaru statement said kidnappings were driven by "the transgression and atrocities done to the religion of Allah by the European countries in many places, such as Afghanistan and Mali."

(Additional reporting by John Irish and Diadie Ba in Dakar, Vicky Buffery in Paris; Writing by John Irish; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

http://news.yahoo.com/seven-french-nationals-kidnapped-cameroon-radio-135301048.html;_ylt=AwrHgaI7rCNRwyUAmgBvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTNxczMxNzF1BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBXb3JsZFNGBHBrZwM3ZDAxZjA1ZS03YzRlLTM4MGYtYjMwYy1iMjQxNmVmYmY4MzgEcG9zAzMEc2VjA3RvcF9zdG9yeQR2ZXIDNDgxYTgxYzAtN2FhNy0xMWUyLWFhNzctNzY0NzRhNjBhMjBh;_ylg=X3oDMTFqOTI2ZDZmBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZARwdANzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by tyson55(m): 6:47pm On Feb 19, 2013
With the incessant kidnapping of western national, It won't be long before the drones start flying across Northern Nigeria.
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by White007(m): 6:54am On Feb 20, 2013
^^^ if the drones are not flying already. Ain't they just across the border in Niger?
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by MadCow1: 9:20am On Feb 20, 2013
Boko haram don prize bad market for Cameroon..
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by theripper2: 9:20am On Feb 20, 2013
Send the drones already to Kano, Borno and yobe. These abokis are becoming more daring by the day.
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Joehakins(m): 9:23am On Feb 20, 2013
I think say na only niqeria boko-haram dey oh..So dey don cross enter cameroon..Dem die well
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by pmc01(m): 9:26am On Feb 20, 2013
the_ripper2: Send the drones already to Kano, Borno and yobe. These abokis are becoming more daring by the day.

You sure say you no sniff liquidated Garri. Abeg, run go wikipedia, go read about drones and come back to modify the crap you posted. angry
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Jaideyone(m): 9:27am On Feb 20, 2013
By the time this boko haram/jamb # is over the north would be back in the stone age. Smh
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Abujafood: 9:30am On Feb 20, 2013
u
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 20, 2013
Hmm...they've entered Cameroon too? Interesting.
Will kidnapping french families force the French Army out of Mali? B.H is sitting on a long thing.

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by cyril83(m): 9:31am On Feb 20, 2013
Do they have branch in cameroon?
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by babadey(m): 9:34am On Feb 20, 2013
I jast pray I leave this country on time,always bad news weighing the good news (80%-20%) only super eagles made me proud for once, to call myself a nigerian.
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Owaabeo: 9:39am On Feb 20, 2013
So this God forsaken good for nothing charlatan have crossed boarder
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by vizboy(m): 9:40am On Feb 20, 2013
trash news so every kidnapping in africa is now done by only bk. They should try and investigate before coming to a conclusion that it was done by bk abi na because na near naija border

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Alleinad(f): 9:44am On Feb 20, 2013
cheesy boko haram have now taken business international? This is getting more interesting!
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by AbdulAdam56(m): 9:45am On Feb 20, 2013
I don't believe this mr president hollande,are we the one that really had a terrorist?In our nation?Joor he should go nd fix his chaos not mention our country.Boobish president,cameroon are worst terroris that ours.Presido go nd solve it out jare,not spoiling our nation name
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 20, 2013
the_ripper2: Send the drones already to Kano, Borno and yobe. These abokis are becoming more daring by the day.
I weep for your family...and this one is somebody's child o
smh
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by drnoel: 9:58am On Feb 20, 2013
These boko idiots have finally done it. They have finally done it. It won't be long now b4 u see them bailing with their tails behind their legs to the south when then drones start flying. I just hope the south would have enough determination to flush them out unlike in the north. We can't condone killing of innocent people as the north did.
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Worldlife: 10:11am On Feb 20, 2013
where the drone enter kano ur brother shop will be the first target
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by brownlord: 10:18am On Feb 20, 2013
Since this news is not about oyedepo's daughter, or does not relate to private jet, adeboye, orisejafor, student expelled from convnant uni. Or about CAN I don't expect all the boko haram children on nairaland to comment and condemn their brother's act. Where are all of you now on NL ranting and insulting oyedepo because he's daugher wants to get married to he's PA come here and see what your animal in uniform broders have taken their madness internationally

Cameroon state radio reported that witnesses said the three adults had been separated from the four children and Cameroonian defense forces had been deployed to the area.

It was the first case of foreigners being seized in the mostly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony

Can somebody please explain this line for me, chai ISLAM really a religion of peace piss

Why can't GEJ just face it and wipe up north once and for all, yet someone can come to me to support Buhari/fashola for president

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by akunjohn(m): 10:20am On Feb 20, 2013
And what is our president remark to this?, GEJ,oya tell us what we dont know abi peak..i mean hollandia dey lie?
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by AMvanquish: 10:21am On Feb 20, 2013

Like seriously....smh
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by brownlord: 10:22am On Feb 20, 2013
DheBuck:
I weep for your family...and this one is somebody's child o
smh

And you will not weep for your broders tarnishing the image of this nation abi
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by vanstanzy(m): 10:26am On Feb 20, 2013
Hightime Cameroun govt. join hands with Nigeria to fight this "RESIDENT EVIL!".
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by vanstanzy(m): 10:27am On Feb 20, 2013
Ha! TERROR! but where in Islam is terror supported, i still ask? *Just curious!*

Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by bobbydbobo: 10:34am On Feb 20, 2013
Here's wats happening nd wats gna happen.: The west, under wide nd secretive consultation are looking for an opportunity to burst Nigerias bubble, so they say, let's find a reason to get there, nd like they do wen it comes to other nations, they send a black ops team, for a clandestine operation, they kidnap their own pple, nd play under the pretext that it is boko haram, cos any reasonable man wld biliv that cos that's the most reasonable thing to biliv in the circumstance. Nd then they decide to work with the nigerian govt nd hereby deploy their troops, assert their stations, form a black site somewhere all for what? To monitor our govt, dictate through neo-colonialist means, nd also ensure a free flow of oil for the next American Generation., I said "American gen." because they are our First "friends"in times like that so theyld come up first nd welld welcome them wiv open hands... Ohhh, I love America... Asserting their power cos they are worthy of it..... I'm still waiting for that person who will come here to make a comment nd say I watch too many movies, nd illd laugh at such folly.....
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by harmless011: 10:38am On Feb 20, 2013
This is not good for our country, this western guys will soon invade this country.Nigerian govt should enact tougher anti terrosist laws to curb this menace.
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 20, 2013
The islamic fighters just melted away when France invaded and now they're reappearing all over northern Nigeria and Cameroon... France won't be in Mali forever...
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by playahP(m): 10:43am On Feb 20, 2013
I see a lot of ill-informed people on nairaland!!
A drone operation is like the only solution to a wide spread terrorist organization such as boko-haram!!... A drone wouldn't go about striking innocent people. There might be minimal collateral damages but face it-dont we have collateral damages when the jtf strikes??

We need to have these terrorists on the run and constantly looking over their shoulders (and in the skies too)... Nigeria bought two drones but they are not functional or maybe they can't operate them!!.. Selective assasination is important If the war against terrorism must be won! The security forces have been compromised...

Please bring in the drones... Strike them.. All those pple d sss have refused to arrest.. Send down that "hellfire" missile and destroy them!!... Jah bless!
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by Youhesh(m): 10:47am On Feb 20, 2013
bobbydbobo: Here's wats happening nd wats gna happen.: The west, under wide nd secretive consultation are looking for an opportunity to burst Nigerias bubble, so they say, let's find a reason to get there, nd like they do wen it comes to other nations, they send a black ops team, for a clandestine operation, they kidnap their own pple, nd play under the pretext that it is boko haram, cos any reasonable man wld biliv that cos that's the most reasonable thing to biliv in the circumstance. Nd then they decide to work with the nigerian govt nd hereby deploy their troops, assert their stations, form a black site somewhere all for what? To monitor our govt, dictate through neo-colonialist means, nd also ensure a free flow of oil for the next American Generation., I said "American gen." because they are our First "friends"in times like that so theyld come up first nd welld welcome them wiv open hands... Ohhh, I love America... Asserting their power cos they are worthy of it..... I'm still waiting for that person who will come here to make a comment nd say I watch too many movies, nd illd laugh at such folly.....
You obviously watch too many movies. America is leaning towards self dependency when it comes to oil consumption. They are now taking from their reserves and in some years to come will be the number one oil producers in the world. They do not need your oil to serve the next generation. You really should stop watching those movies and stop having this neo-colonialist mentality been spread around. Develop yourself(Nigeria) and everyother person will follow.
Re: Boko-Haram Kidnap French Family In Cameroon by ikweremilitant: 10:51am On Feb 20, 2013
tyson55: With the incessant kidnapping of western national, It won't be long before the drones start flying across Northern Nigeria.
wat re dey waitng for am looseng patient o.especaly nw dat lagos hs joind d list

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gmb Rebranded!!!!!!! (Pics) / Photo Of Sani Abacha A Day Before He Died. / Gov Akeredolu Swears-in New Commissioners, Special Advisers, Director General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.